Richard Periut

Default Steak Leftover.

Hi all,

Yesterday we were invited to a restaurant for a birthday party, and I
was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.

I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)

TIA,

Richard

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

Nancy Young

Richard Periut wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Yesterday we were invited to a restaurant for a birthday party, and I
> was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
> 1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.
>
> I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
> The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
> artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)

Well, I butterfly leftover steak and zap it in the microwave *just*
to warm it and serve it as sandwiches on rye with mayo and/or mustard.
Otherwise you could make a steak salad.

nancy
Rosie Miller

>I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
>The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
>artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)
>
>TIA,

Why not slice it and make Beef Strogonoff??
Rosie

Richard Periut

Nancy Young wrote:
> Richard Periut wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Yesterday we were invited to a restaurant for a birthday party, and I
>>was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
>>1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.
>>
>>I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
>>The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
>>artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)

> Well, I butterfly leftover steak and zap it in the microwave *just*
> to warm it and serve it as sandwiches on rye with mayo and/or mustard.
> Otherwise you could make a steak salad.
>
> nancy

Good idea! However, I'm going to triple butterfly this thing; it's about
1 1/2 inches thick.

"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

Richard Periut

Rosie Miller wrote:
>>I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
>>The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
>>artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)
>>
>>TIA,

> Why not slice it and make Beef Strogonoff??
> Rosie

Sounds great! I think we'll have that tomorrow; though my eldest
daughter (13) thinks it's yuck, along with seafood of any type.

However, my youngest will devour a salad of any type as well as sushi,
and is not too keen with meat. Go figure? Must be the genes.

Richard

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

A.T. Hagan

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:34:09 GMT, Richard Periut >
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Yesterday we were invited to a restaurant for a birthday party, and I
>was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
>1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.
>
>I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
>The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
>artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)
>
>TIA,
>
>Richard

I like it with stir fried veggies and the steak sliced thin and thrown
in at the last minute just long enough to get it warm.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
Lucas

Nancy Young wrote:
> Richard Periut wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Yesterday we were invited to a restaurant for a birthday party, and I
>>was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
>>1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.
>>
>>I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
>>The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
>>artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)

> Well, I butterfly leftover steak and zap it in the microwave *just*
> to warm it and serve it as sandwiches on rye with mayo and/or mustard.
> Otherwise you could make a steak salad.

What's a 'shell' steak?

SportKite1

>From: Richard Periut

>was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
>1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.

What is a shell steak?

Ellen

modom

wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Yesterday we were invited to a restaurant for a birthday party, and I
>was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
>1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.
>
>I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
>The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
>artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)
>
>TIA,
>
>Richard

What's a shell steak?

Last week I made a salad with thin slices of rare-grilled sirloin.
You might think in that direction, too. Or an Asian noodle/beef/
sliced veg salad with a sweet/hot/salty/sour dressing (lime juice,
brown sugar, sambal, fish sauce).

modom
Michael Siemon

In article >,
Richard Periut > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Yesterday we were invited to a restaurant for a birthday party, and I
> was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
> 1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.
>
> I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
> The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
> artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)

This is probably too late for your immediate need, but what I would
do with the leftover steak (assuming it is a reasonable medium-rare
or close to that) would be a Thai salad made by making very thin
slices of the steak and laying them over a bed of lettuce+onions+
basil, and some garnish of tomatoes and cucumbers. The dressing
should be lime juice, thin-sliced lemongrass, chilies, scallions,
and possibly some tamarind liquid. There's lots of stuff you could
do to fancy this up. Look for Thai salad recipes for "Yum Nuer" or
"Nur Yum Nom Tok" or such (spelling varies in transcriptions from
the Thai names...)

A.T. Hagan

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:46:36 GMT, Richard Periut >
wrote:

>Rosie Miller wrote:
>>>I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
>>>The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
>>>artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)
>>>
>>>TIA,

>> Why not slice it and make Beef Strogonoff??
>> Rosie
>>

>However, my youngest will devour a salad of any type as well as sushi,
>and is not too keen with meat. Go figure? Must be the genes.
>
>Richard

In the case of girls I've noticed that it is often the jeans that lead
to such behavior.

......Alan. ;-)

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
Tracy Riggs

wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Yesterday we were invited to a restaurant for a birthday party, and I
>was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
>1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.
>
>I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
>The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
>artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)

Bootlegger Stew

Leftover grilled steak
1 medium onion, chopped
1 potato, finely chopped
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 can (4 oz size) green chilies
1 can (14 - 16 oz size) stewed tomatoes
dash of garlic powder
1/2 to 3/4 cup Burgundy wine

Cut steak into 1-inch pieces. Saute steak, onion, and potato in
butter. Add chilies, tomatoes, garlic powder, and wine. Cover and
simmer until potato is done.

Tracy R.
pavane

"Richard Periut" > wrote in message

> "..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
> beans and a nice chianti..."
>
> Hannibal "The Cannibal"
>
> Silence Of The Lambs 1991

Just to quibble, your quotation is incorrect. The book
had him eating it with Amarone; it was changed to Chianti
for the movie assuming that more people would know
what Chianti is than Amarone. Here is the book quote:

"...I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone."

pavane

Tim Challenger

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:34:09 GMT, Richard Periut wrote:

> Hi all,

> Yesterday we were invited to a restaurant for a birthday party, and I
> was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
> 1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.

> I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
> The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
> artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)

Steak and something pie (kidney, oyster, vegetables...)

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
pavane

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Richard Periut" > wrote in message

> > "..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
> > beans and a nice chianti..."
> >
> > Hannibal "The Cannibal"
> >
> > Silence Of The Lambs 1991
> >

> Just to quibble, your quotation is incorrect. The book
> had him eating it with Amarone; it was changed to Chianti
> for the movie assuming that more people would know
> what Chianti is than Amarone. Here is the book quote:
>
> "...I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone."
>
> pavane

....Unless, of course, you are quoting from the movie in
which case you are dead on.

pavane

Nancree

Thin- sliced steak turns a salad into a main dish.
Tara

I have a strange love for cold foods, so I'd just eat it cold with
mustard or horseradish. You could also slice it thinly and drop it
into a soup of beef broth, mushrooms, noodles, green onions, etc.

Tara
Steve Calvin

Richard Periut wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Yesterday we were invited to a restaurant for a birthday party, and I
> was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
> 1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.
>
> I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
> The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
> artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)
>
> TIA,
>
> Richard

Some good "crusty" bread rolls or italian bread, etc. sweat some (I
use quite a bit) garlic and mushrooms in a little butter. When the
garlic is translucent, add beef stock and reduce to half. Slice the
leftover steak thin and toss it in the reduction for a few seconds and
spoon onto the bread. Simple and tasty.

An alternative is to slice some emmenthal cheese thinly. (personally,
I don't care for the french version). Put the thin sliced meat in the
bread, top with the cheese and heat in the oven until the cheese
melts, then spoon the garlic and mushrooms with a little juice over
the sandwich.

--
Steve

Richard Periut

pavane wrote:
> "Richard Periut" > wrote in message

>>"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
>>beans and a nice chianti..."
>>
>>Hannibal "The Cannibal"
>>
>>Silence Of The Lambs 1991
>>

> Just to quibble, your quotation is incorrect. The book
> had him eating it with Amarone; it was changed to Chianti
> for the movie assuming that more people would know
> what Chianti is than Amarone. Here is the book quote:
>
> "...I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone."
>
> pavane

I am quoting the movie, not the book ; )

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

Richard Periut

Tara wrote:
> I have a strange love for cold foods, so I'd just eat it cold with
> mustard or horseradish. You could also slice it thinly and drop it
> into a soup of beef broth, mushrooms, noodles, green onions, etc.
>
> Tara

BTW,

I read all posts, and copied the recipes/concepts in Word.

Thanks all for the feedback; I'll try them. For the fellow that asked if
I returned with 3/4 of this steak back home; You had to see the size of
this thing. They could of brought it over and placed it in the center of
where 5 people sat, and I would of thought it was for everyone to carve.

Regards,

Richard

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

Peter Lucas

modom wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:34:09 GMT, Richard Periut >
> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>Yesterday we were invited to a restaurant for a birthday party, and I
>>was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
>>1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.
>>
>>I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
>>The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
>>artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)
>>
>>TIA,
>>
>>Richard

> What's a shell steak?

This is the 3rd person to ask what a shell steak is............. so what
the hell is a shell steak???!!!! :-)

Steve Calvin

Peter Lucas wrote:

>> What's a shell steak?

> This is the 3rd person to ask what a shell steak is............. so what
> the hell is a shell steak???!!!! :-)

No need to get your knickers in a twist... a 2 second google search
showed a *ton* of links. One of which is
http://www.empirepurveyors.com/bshells.html

PENMART01

>modom wrote:
>> Richard Periut wrote:
>>
>>>Yesterday we were invited to a restaurant for a birthday party, and I
>>>was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
>>>1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.

>> What's a shell steak?

>This is the 3rd person to ask what a shell steak is............. so what
>the **** is a shell steak???!!!! :-)

shell steak
Depending on the locale, shell steak is another name for either a boneless CLUB
STEAK or a NEW YORK STEAK. In either case a shell steak should be tender, since
both the club and the New York are cut from the SHORT LOIN, the most tender
section of beef.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Default User

Peter Lucas wrote:

> This is the 3rd person to ask what a shell steak is............. so what
> the hell is a shell steak???!!!! :-)

Same as a strip steak. A cut from the loin without any of the
tenderloin. If you have whole tenderloins from a carcass, then you can't
get T-bones or Porterhouses, you get strips instead.

Brian Rodenborn
PENMART01

Default LUser writes:

>Peter Lucas wrote:
>
>> This is the 3rd person to ask what a shell steak is............. so what
>> the hell is a shell steak???!!!! :-)

>A cut from the loin

Actually from the Short Loin.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Tim Challenger

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:34:09 GMT, Richard Periut wrote:

> Hi all,

> Yesterday we were invited to a restaurant for a birthday party, and I
> was served this monstrous shell steak of which I could only down about
> 1/4 of it. I mean it was a mother of shell steaks.

> I'm thinking of using it for supper tonight, but would like some ideas.
> The google search I tried, came out with either steak fajitas, or those
> artificial flavored dishes (gravy powder, canned soups/vomit, et cetera.)

curry?

Leftover steak Gary General Cooking 8 09-08-2016 07:51 AM
Leftover steak Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 96 04-11-2013 11:10 PM
Leftover Steak Dimitri General Cooking 54 23-01-2009 05:12 PM
Tonight's leftover steak koko General Cooking 15 22-01-2009 06:55 AM
Leftover Flank Steak? Gigi General Cooking 14 01-01-2004 06:21 PM