Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to peal a mango

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ng o%20&emb=0

I just found out that Mangos are high in sodium so I won't be using
them anymore for smoothies.

If it tastes good. I am pretty sure I should not eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

metspitzer wrote:

> http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ng o%20&emb=0
>
> I just found out that Mangos are high in sodium so I won't be using
> them anymore for smoothies.
>
> If it tastes good. I am pretty sure I should not eat it.

Note that one "peals" a bell, but "peels" a mango.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

About the only thing that might work is hollowing out the
mango, then freezing it in a very cold freezer until it is
hard-frozen and brittle. Then, suspend it from a string
and hit it with a mallet.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote on Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:31:28 +0000 (UTC):

> About the only thing that might work is hollowing out the
> mango, then freezing it in a very cold freezer until it is
> hard-frozen and brittle. Then, suspend it from a string
> and hit it with a mallet.

It doesn't actually "peel" a mango but OXO sells a corer. Chunks of
mango can then be removed from the rind with a *blunt* knife or a
spoon. It tends to leave a certain amount of fruit on the seed but that
can be treated as the cook's perquisite!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

metspitzer wrote:

> I just found out that Mangos are high in sodium so I won't be using
> them anymore for smoothies.

Mangos contain so little sodium as to be insignificant, like your
pinhead IQ... pealed like a ding-a-ling.

http://www.peertrainer.com/DFcalorie...B.aspx?id=2132

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> metspitzer wrote:
>> http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ng o%20&emb=0
>>
>> I just found out that Mangos are high in sodium so I won't be using
>> them anymore for smoothies.
>>
>> If it tastes good. I am pretty sure I should not eat it.

> Note that one "peals" a bell, but "peels" a mango.

According to the USDA, one cup of raw mango has 3 grams of sodium. I
would not call that "high" at all.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote:

>According to the USDA, one cup of raw mango has 3 grams of sodium. I
>would not call that "high" at all.

Most people trying to limit sodium try to consume less than 2
grams/day, often less than one gram. To determine if you have
sodium-sensitive hypertension, you need to consume under
100 mg/day for a few weeks. Very few people ever try
to sustain that level (it would mean never eating in
any sort of restaurant). But if you can offhandedly decide
to consume 3 grams of sodium, you're not following a low
sodium diet I would say.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"metspitzer" > wrote in message
> http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ng o%20&emb=0
>
> I just found out that Mangos are high in sodium so I won't be using
> them anymore for smoothies.
>
> If it tastes good. I am pretty sure I should not eat it.

The video as well as the Martha Stewart on using a mango fork does not
explain that the mango grows from the stem side down (like most fruit) and
the fibers run in that direction. If you want to peal a mango always peal
from the stem side towards the pointed end. Otherwise the fibers in the
mango will pull the flesh apart.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> According to the USDA, one cup of raw mango has 3 grams of sodium. I
>> would not call that "high" at all.

> Most people trying to limit sodium try to consume less than 2
> grams/day, often less than one gram. To determine if you have
> sodium-sensitive hypertension, you need to consume under
> 100 mg/day for a few weeks. Very few people ever try
> to sustain that level (it would mean never eating in
> any sort of restaurant). But if you can offhandedly decide
> to consume 3 grams of sodium, you're not following a low
> sodium diet I would say.
>
> Steve

oops! it was 3 *mg* not g. I didn't read the column correctly. I'm soooo
used to counting carbs for DH who is diabetic that I automatically think
every measurement is a gram. My boo-boo.

So can we agree that 3 mgs is not a lot of sodium?

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Janet Wilder > wrote:

>>> According to the USDA, one cup of raw mango has 3 grams of sodium. I
>>> would not call that "high" at all.

>> Most people trying to limit sodium try to consume less than 2
>> grams/day, often less than one gram. [..]

>oops! it was 3 *mg* not g. I didn't read the column correctly. I'm soooo
>used to counting carbs for DH who is diabetic that I automatically think
>every measurement is a gram. My boo-boo.

>So can we agree that 3 mgs is not a lot of sodium?

For sure! Thanks.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hit it with a clapper?

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> Hit it with a clapper?
>
> Kate

LOL. I can't bear it ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - who thinks the English language has its moments.

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 3:24 pm, metspitzer > wrote:
> http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ceid=navclient...
>
> I just found out that Mangos are high in sodium so I won't be using
> them anymore for smoothies.
>
> If it tastes good. I am pretty sure I should not eat it.

I was always told to strip down to a bathing suit, stand in a large
body of water, and just slice and eat. Afterwards, dunk to rinse
yourself off, since a ripe mango is just not eat-able neatly.

maxine ri in
trouble having sense making today
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > metspitzer wrote:
> >> http://video.google.com/videosearch?...avclient-ff&ie
> >> =UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS258US258&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv#q=mang o%20&emb=0
> >>
> >> I just found out that Mangos are high in sodium so I won't be using
> >> them anymore for smoothies.
> >>
> >> If it tastes good. I am pretty sure I should not eat it.

> > Note that one "peals" a bell, but "peels" a mango.

> According to the USDA, one cup of raw mango has 3 grams of sodium. I
> would not call that "high" at all.

Well, actually, it's 1,000 cups of mango. Anybody who can eat that much
is superman.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> On Aug 19, 3:24 pm, metspitzer > wrote:
>> http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ceid=navclient...
>>
>> I just found out that Mangos are high in sodium so I won't be using
>> them anymore for smoothies.
>>
>> If it tastes good. I am pretty sure I should not eat it.

> I was always told to strip down to a bathing suit, stand in a large
> body of water, and just slice and eat. Afterwards, dunk to rinse
> yourself off, since a ripe mango is just not eat-able neatly.

LOL! I always heard that you need to be naked, in the shower. After
finishing the mango, you turn on the shower to clean up. Makes sense to me.

BOB