Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lentils and rice - cooking together

Salutations, gentlefolk,

Well, my variation on Mejeddarah ...

_Relentless Lentils_ (1)

2 medium yellow onions
1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/4 to 1/2 pound miscellaneous 'lunch meat ends' (2)
1 cup (1/2 pound) lentils
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dry chilies
8 cups water (2.5)
1 1/2 cups rice (3)

Cut up onions, saute in oil on stove top, in the rice-cooker pot
(3.5), till golden. Chop up meat into 1/2 inch pieces, add to
frying onions.

When onions are done, add spices and water. Bring to boil, insert
flame-tamer, reduce heat, simmer for 10-15 minutes. Don't
overcook the lentils unless you want to end up with
undifferentiated tan mush (Will still be tasty, though).

Add rice, stir, transfer pot from stove to rice cooker. Turn rice
cooker (4) on, wait (enjoying aromas) till done. Dish it out, top
with shredded cheese (5), and serve.

(1) The name of this dish comes from a billboard touting a local
hospital that's "Relentlessly advancing eye care". Got into
a debate with myself on the origins of the words 'lent' and
'lentil' and 'relent' (Original meaning of 'relent': To compel an
additional six weeks of fasting ;-)

(2) A local grocery sells the 'ends', left after slicing cold cuts
for sandwiches, for 2 USD / pound, and po'folk like me chop them
up and add to starches or soups or scrmbled eggs - or sometimes we
eat them right outta the package, with fingers. Use whatever
leftovers or sausages or ... you have. This is, if you ain't
guessed, a very plebian dish.

(2.5) I erred on the side of safety with quantity of water, got
quite mushy / 'stewpy' result - Use 7 1/2 or 7 cups if you'd like
it drier.

(3) Medium grain, I think. Whatever was cheapest at the
supermarket two weeks ago. Dumped into glass jars for storage,
original bag discarded.

(3.5) One of the goals of Bachelor's Cuisine is to end up with a
minimum of pots to wash.

(4) Mine is a Toshiba RC180A, which I acquired secondhand about 25
years ago. Only control on it is the on-off switch.

(5) If you're going to omit the shredded cheese, cut down on the
spices - they're foils for each other.

Let me know if you try it, and how you like it.

Yours, John Desmond