Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Update: McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts

I know you've all been waiting to hear what's going on with
the fast food situation where I live. Heh.

I mentioned that a local McDonald's closed and I was really
surprised, it was so busy all the time. It left no convenient
drive-thru McDonald's for quite a ways. No skin off my teeth,
I don't go there, I was just surprised.

Well, they put up a weird building, is it a bank? No, it's just
a brand new McDonald's, now hiring. White stone front,
very small arches. A new look.

Then I'd noticed that Dunkin Donuts in town was closed, right
at the time people here were talking about their Dunkin Donuts
going out of business. This place said they were under
renovations. How can a place like that afford to close for months?
Well, when they put the big bubblegum pink D door handle on, I
knew they were coming back. Guess there's more money in
donuts than I thought.

I know you've all been wondering, don't worry, fast food is safe in
my corner of the world.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I know you've all been waiting to hear what's going on with the fast
> food situation where I live. Heh.
> I mentioned that a local McDonald's closed and I was really surprised,
> it was so busy all the time. It left no convenient drive-thru
> McDonald's for quite a ways. No skin off my teeth, I don't go there, I
> was just surprised.
> Well, they put up a weird building, is it a bank? No, it's just
> a brand new McDonald's, now hiring. White stone front, very small
> arches. A new look.
> Then I'd noticed that Dunkin Donuts in town was closed, right
> at the time people here were talking about their Dunkin Donuts
> going out of business. This place said they were under renovations.
> How can a place like that afford to close for months?
> Well, when they put the big bubblegum pink D door handle on, I knew they
> were coming back. Guess there's more money in donuts than I thought.
>
> I know you've all been wondering, don't worry, fast food is safe in
> my corner of the world.
>
> nancy

Gee. Your new McD's sounds nicer than the one in the neighboring
town. That was a most unattractive building--appeared to be
aluminum siding. Very boring facade, which then had fake
brick-looking siding applied.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I mentioned that a local McDonald's closed and I was really
>> surprised, it was so busy all the time. It left no convenient
>> drive-thru McDonald's for quite a ways. No skin off my teeth, I
>> don't go there, I was just surprised.
>> Well, they put up a weird building, is it a bank? No, it's just
>> a brand new McDonald's, now hiring. White stone front, very small
>> arches. A new look.

> Gee. Your new McD's sounds nicer than the one in the neighboring
> town. That was a most unattractive building--appeared to be
> aluminum siding. Very boring facade, which then had fake
> brick-looking siding applied.

Wow, that's the opposite of the usual McDs. This one was a relatively
large one, with the playroom and all, plus a playground outside. The
glass walls look. This now looks nothing like any other one I've seen.

I remember when McDs was suing towns to be allowed to put up the
huge golden arches. Times have changed. The one in my town is
in a little strip mall with no drive through, because they wouldn't allow
that. You'd almost have to know it was there.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> I know you've all been waiting to hear what's going on with
> the fast food situation where I live. Heh.
>
> I mentioned that a local McDonald's closed and I was really
> surprised, it was so busy all the time. It left no convenient
> drive-thru McDonald's for quite a ways. No skin off my teeth,
> I don't go there, I was just surprised.
>
> Well, they put up a weird building, is it a bank? No, it's just
> a brand new McDonald's, now hiring. White stone front,
> very small arches. A new look.
>
> Then I'd noticed that Dunkin Donuts in town was closed, right
> at the time people here were talking about their Dunkin Donuts
> going out of business. This place said they were under
> renovations. How can a place like that afford to close for months?
> Well, when they put the big bubblegum pink D door handle on, I
> knew they were coming back. Guess there's more money in
> donuts than I thought.
>
> I know you've all been wondering, don't worry, fast food is safe in
> my corner of the world.
>
> nancy

I hope our boarded up Dunkin' Donuts is planning the same thing, but as
yet no visible signs of activity. We have more McDonald's than I could
begin to count, and it's not my favorite place. I'd rather go to In n
Out Burger.

Wayne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Then I'd noticed that Dunkin Donuts in town was closed, right
>> at the time people here were talking about their Dunkin Donuts
>> going out of business. This place said they were under
>> renovations. How can a place like that afford to close for months?
>> Well, when they put the big bubblegum pink D door handle on, I
>> knew they were coming back. Guess there's more money in
>> donuts than I thought.

> I hope our boarded up Dunkin' Donuts is planning the same thing, but
> as yet no visible signs of activity. We have more McDonald's than I
> could begin to count, and it's not my favorite place. I'd rather go
> to In n Out Burger.

Oh, you and me, both, brother. Only problem is we are not gifted
with In n Out Burgers on this side of the country. Maybe that's
good for me. When I was in Las Vegas I ate there at least twice
in 5 days. Could get ugly if I had one nearby.

Might be time for me to make one for myself:

Top Secret Recipes
In-n-Out Double Double
by Todd Wilbur

This is a recipe for making what I believe is the best hamburger in
the world. The secret to duplicating this and other fast-food burgers is
getting the beef patties real thin...about 1/4 inch-thick. If you like,
you can press the beef thin onto wax paper and freeze the patties ahead
of time. This makes them easier to work with on the hot pan.

1 plain hamburger bun
1/3 pound ground beef
Dash salt
1 tablespoon Kraft Thousand Island dressing
1 large tomato slice (or 2 small slices)
1 large lettuce leaf
4 slices American cheese (Singles)
-or- 2 slices real American cheese
1 whole onion slice (sliced thin)

1. Preheat a frying pan over medium heat.
2. Lightly toast the both halves of the hamburger bun, face down in the
pan. Set aside.
3. Separate the beef into two even portions, and form each half into a
thin patty slightly larger than the bun.
4. Lightly salt each patty and cook for 2-3 minutes on the first side.
5. Flip the patties over and immediately place two slices of cheese on
each one. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Assemble the burger in the following stacking order from the bottom
up:
bottom bun
dressing
tomato
lettuce
beef patty with cheese
onion slice
beef patty with cheese
top bun.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..
>I know you've all been waiting to hear what's going on with the fast food
>situation where I live. Heh.
> I mentioned that a local McDonald's closed and I was really surprised, it
> was so busy all the time. It left no convenient drive-thru McDonald's for
> quite a ways. No skin off my teeth, I don't go there, I was just
> surprised.
> Well, they put up a weird building, is it a bank? No, it's just
> a brand new McDonald's, now hiring. White stone front, very small arches.
> A new look.
> Then I'd noticed that Dunkin Donuts in town was closed, right
> at the time people here were talking about their Dunkin Donuts
> going out of business. This place said they were under renovations. How
> can a place like that afford to close for months?
> Well, when they put the big bubblegum pink D door handle on, I knew they
> were coming back. Guess there's more money in donuts than I thought.
>
> I know you've all been wondering, don't worry, fast food is safe in
> my corner of the world.
>
> nancy

Mine too, but it's a whole 'nother animal. I am happy for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> I know you've all been wondering, don't worry, fast food is safe in
>> my corner of the world.

> Mine too, but it's a whole 'nother animal. I am happy for you.

As I said, doesn't matter to me.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 14:30:14 +0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I know you've all been waiting to hear what's going on with
>> the fast food situation where I live. Heh.
>>
>> I mentioned that a local McDonald's closed and I was really
>> surprised, it was so busy all the time. It left no convenient
>> drive-thru McDonald's for quite a ways. No skin off my teeth,
>> I don't go there, I was just surprised.
>>
>> Well, they put up a weird building, is it a bank? No, it's just
>> a brand new McDonald's, now hiring. White stone front,
>> very small arches. A new look.
>>
>> Then I'd noticed that Dunkin Donuts in town was closed, right
>> at the time people here were talking about their Dunkin Donuts
>> going out of business. This place said they were under
>> renovations. How can a place like that afford to close for months?
>> Well, when they put the big bubblegum pink D door handle on, I
>> knew they were coming back. Guess there's more money in
>> donuts than I thought.
>>
>> I know you've all been wondering, don't worry, fast food is safe in
>> my corner of the world.
>>
>> nancy

> I hope our boarded up Dunkin' Donuts is planning the same thing, but as
> yet no visible signs of activity. We have more McDonald's than I could
> begin to count, and it's not my favorite place. I'd rather go to In n
> Out Burger.
>
> Wayne

The Krispy-Kream that opened to great fanfares in Calgary a couple of years
ago, has just closed its doors. No loss there!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:51:56 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Oh, you and me, both, brother. Only problem is we are not gifted
>with In n Out Burgers on this side of the country. Maybe that's
>good for me. When I was in Las Vegas I ate there at least twice
>in 5 days. Could get ugly if I had one nearby.
>
>Might be time for me to make one for myself:
>
>Top Secret Recipes
>In-n-Out Double Double
>by Todd Wilbur

<snip recipe>

I've made these too. It amazing how much they taste like fast food.
Actually using good meat makes them better that FF.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> I know you've all been waiting to hear what's going on with
> the fast food situation where I live. Heh.
>
> I mentioned that a local McDonald's closed and I was really
> surprised, it was so busy all the time. It left no convenient
> drive-thru McDonald's for quite a ways. No skin off my teeth,
> I don't go there, I was just surprised.
>
> Well, they put up a weird building, is it a bank? No, it's just
> a brand new McDonald's, now hiring. White stone front,
> very small arches. A new look.
>
> Then I'd noticed that Dunkin Donuts in town was closed, right
> at the time people here were talking about their Dunkin Donuts
> going out of business. This place said they were under
> renovations. How can a place like that afford to close for months?
> Well, when they put the big bubblegum pink D door handle on, I
> knew they were coming back. Guess there's more money in
> donuts than I thought.
>
> I know you've all been wondering, don't worry, fast food is safe in
> my corner of the world.

The same thing happened with a Dunkin Donuts in my neighborhood. Its one
of the standalone types (not in a mall). One day, I drove by to stop at
a convenience store across the street from that DD and it was closed,
despite being packed all the time.

The place was unused for several months, then knocked down and replaced
by a new building that's nearly indistinguishable from the old one,
except a tiny bit larger, and its a Dunkin' Donuts. Go figure!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> Well, they put up a weird building, is it a bank? No, it's just
>> a brand new McDonald's, now hiring. White stone front,
>> very small arches. A new look.
>>
>> Then I'd noticed that Dunkin Donuts in town was closed, right
>> at the time people here were talking about their Dunkin Donuts
>> going out of business. This place said they were under
>> renovations. How can a place like that afford to close for months?
>> Well, when they put the big bubblegum pink D door handle on, I
>> knew they were coming back. Guess there's more money in
>> donuts than I thought.

> The same thing happened with a Dunkin Donuts in my neighborhood. Its
> one of the standalone types (not in a mall). One day, I drove by to
> stop at a convenience store across the street from that DD and it was
> closed, despite being packed all the time.
>
> The place was unused for several months, then knocked down and
> replaced by a new building that's nearly indistinguishable from the
> old one, except a tiny bit larger, and its a Dunkin' Donuts. Go
> figure!

How strange! Who are these people who can afford to shut down
their business for months on end to rebuild or renovate?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>>> Well, they put up a weird building, is it a bank? No, it's just
>>> a brand new McDonald's, now hiring. White stone front,
>>> very small arches. A new look.
>>>
>>> Then I'd noticed that Dunkin Donuts in town was closed, right
>>> at the time people here were talking about their Dunkin Donuts
>>> going out of business. This place said they were under
>>> renovations. How can a place like that afford to close for months?
>>> Well, when they put the big bubblegum pink D door handle on, I
>>> knew they were coming back. Guess there's more money in
>>> donuts than I thought.

>> The same thing happened with a Dunkin Donuts in my neighborhood. Its
>> one of the standalone types (not in a mall). One day, I drove by to
>> stop at a convenience store across the street from that DD and it was
>> closed, despite being packed all the time.
>>
>> The place was unused for several months, then knocked down and
>> replaced by a new building that's nearly indistinguishable from the
>> old one, except a tiny bit larger, and its a Dunkin' Donuts. Go
>> figure!

> How strange! Who are these people who can afford to shut down
> their business for months on end to rebuild or renovate?
>
> nancy

It might depend upon whether the business was corporately owned or an
independent franchise.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Stan Horwitz wrote:

>>> The same thing happened with a Dunkin Donuts in my neighborhood. Its
>>> one of the standalone types (not in a mall). One day, I drove by to
>>> stop at a convenience store across the street from that DD and it
>>> was closed, despite being packed all the time.
>>>
>>> The place was unused for several months, then knocked down and
>>> replaced by a new building that's nearly indistinguishable from the
>>> old one, except a tiny bit larger, and its a Dunkin' Donuts. Go
>>> figure!

>> How strange! Who are these people who can afford to shut down
>> their business for months on end to rebuild or renovate?

> It might depend upon whether the business was corporately owned or an
> independent franchise.

Yeah, I thought of that, but I doubt either of the locations I'm
thinking of are corporately owned. As a matter of fact, I know the
McDonald's isn't.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote
>>
>> Then I'd noticed that Dunkin Donuts in town was closed, right
>> at the time people here were talking about their Dunkin Donuts
>> going out of business. This place said they were under
>> renovations. How can a place like that afford to close for months?
>> Well, when they put the big bubblegum pink D door handle on, I
>> knew they were coming back. Guess there's more money in
>> donuts than I thought.
>>

> The same thing happened with a Dunkin Donuts in my neighborhood. Its one
> of the standalone types (not in a mall). One day, I drove by to stop at
> a convenience store across the street from that DD and it was closed,
> despite being packed all the time.
>
> The place was unused for several months, then knocked down and replaced
> by a new building that's nearly indistinguishable from the old one,
> except a tiny bit larger, and its a Dunkin' Donuts. Go figure!

Quite a few "older" (i.e. 10 yrs. +) McDonalds and Burger Kings around
Denver have been razed and rebuilt with less plastic looking
architecture and lots of stone and wood and huge new play areas, of
course. Strange, unless there's a huge tax advantage.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:23:50 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:51:56 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>>Oh, you and me, both, brother. Only problem is we are not gifted
>>with In n Out Burgers on this side of the country. Maybe that's
>>good for me. When I was in Las Vegas I ate there at least twice
>>in 5 days. Could get ugly if I had one nearby.
>>
>>Might be time for me to make one for myself:
>>
>>Top Secret Recipes
>>In-n-Out Double Double
>>by Todd Wilbur

> <snip recipe>
>
> I've made these too. It amazing how much they taste like fast food.
> Actually using good meat makes them better that FF.
>
> Lou

i'm sure in-n-out is better than a mcdougalburger, but i don't think so
much better i'd care to duplicate it at home.

your pal,
ray

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:21:41 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:23:50 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:51:56 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Oh, you and me, both, brother. Only problem is we are not gifted
>>>with In n Out Burgers on this side of the country. Maybe that's
>>>good for me. When I was in Las Vegas I ate there at least twice
>>>in 5 days. Could get ugly if I had one nearby.
>>>
>>>Might be time for me to make one for myself:
>>>
>>>Top Secret Recipes
>>>In-n-Out Double Double
>>>by Todd Wilbur

>> <snip recipe>
>>
>> I've made these too. It amazing how much they taste like fast food.
>> Actually using good meat makes them better that FF.
>>
>> Lou

>i'm sure in-n-out is better than a mcdougalburger, but i don't think so
>much better i'd care to duplicate it at home.

There's something about them. I dunno what it is but they were good.
Maybe the dressing which I'd never use otherwise. I also ground my
own meat. I'm sure that helped too.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:26:38 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:21:41 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:23:50 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> <snip recipe>
>>>
>>> I've made these too. It amazing how much they taste like fast food.
>>> Actually using good meat makes them better that FF.
>>>
>>> Lou

>>i'm sure in-n-out is better than a mcdougalburger, but i don't think so
>>much better i'd care to duplicate it at home.

> There's something about them. I dunno what it is but they were good.
> Maybe the dressing which I'd never use otherwise. I also ground my
> own meat. I'm sure that helped too.
>
> Lou

as long as you liked them, honey.

your pal,