FoodBanter.com

-   -   SPICE MIX (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/160241-spice-mix.html)

No Name 13-08-2008 08:19 PM

SPICE MIX

While paging through the Penzey's Spice catalog,
I notice more and more "spice mixes" .

I have all the basic spices, and it seems dumb
to buy a "mix" that I might only use occasionally.

Is there a web site that provides the recipe/formula
for making your own spice mix ?
( ie; adobo, Krakow night, Italian herb, etc )

merryb 13-08-2008 11:11 PM

SPICE MIX

On Aug 13, 12:19*pm, "<RJ>" > wrote:
> While paging through the Penzey's Spice catalog,
> I notice more and more "spice mixes" .
>
> I have all the basic spices, and it seems dumb
> to buy a "mix" that I might only use occasionally.
>
> Is there a web site that provides the recipe/formula
> for making your own spice mix ?
> ( ie; *adobo, Krakow night, Italian herb, etc )

Why don't you look at the list of ingredients and go from there. I
think that ingredient lists start with whatever they use the most of,
and go down from there. I do that all the time. I have a container of
spices that I use for steak/burger seasoning. I put in salt, pepper,
granulated garlic, poultry seasoning, celery seed, and whatever else
floats my boat at the time. You just have to try and see what
proportions you like.

Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] 14-08-2008 12:17 AM

SPICE MIX

merryb wrote:
> On Aug 13, 12:19�pm, "<RJ>" > wrote:
>
>>While paging through the Penzey's Spice catalog,
>>I notice more and more "spice mixes" .
>>
>>I have all the basic spices, and it seems dumb
>>to buy a "mix" that I might only use occasionally.
>>
>>Is there a web site that provides the recipe/formula
>>for making your own spice mix ?
>>( ie; �adobo, Krakow night, Italian herb, etc )

> Why don't you look at the list of ingredients and go from there. I
> think that ingredient lists start with whatever they use the most of,
> and go down from there. I do that all the time. I have a container of
> spices that I use for steak/burger seasoning. I put in salt, pepper,
> granulated garlic, poultry seasoning, celery seed, and whatever else
> floats my boat at the time. You just have to try and see what
> proportions you like.

Or if you use a lot of herbs and spices and are routinely buying them
before you run out add together any bits of leftover spices for a
'mystery spice mix' obviously i leave out or moderate highly flavored
spices that cold dominate the mix, anise, mace come to mind and i am not
fond of tarragon so i rarely use it, also i don't add too much cayenne
to the mystery mix.

Here's a 'blackening spice' i cut way back on the salt, from the NOLA
"House of Blues."

BLACKENED SEASONING MIX

1 tbs. sweet paprika
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp. white pepper
3/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried oregano

Mix all ingredients. We use this to coat chicken breasts, steaks or fish
before grilling.

French "Quatra Epices" (4 spices) or herbs de Provence are a couple of
other mixes, you mention the Italian, and American southern cooking has
a number of spice mixes.
--
JL

aem 14-08-2008 02:07 AM

SPICE MIX

On Aug 13, 12:19*pm, "<RJ>" > wrote:
> While paging through the Penzey's Spice catalog,
> I notice more and more "spice mixes" .
>
> I have all the basic spices, and it seems dumb
> to buy a "mix" that I might only use occasionally.

Then only buy the mixes you will use frequently.

> Is there a web site that provides the recipe/formula
> for making your own spice mix ?
> ( ie; *adobo, Krakow night, Italian herb, etc )

Not that I know of. If you need guidelines for where to start, you'll
just have to google "Krakow night", "herbes des Provence", and so on.
Then use your own tastes to decide on final proportions. If you're
well organized you can write your mix down so as to duplicate it
later.

Not a helpful response, but it gives me the opportunity to put in the
address for the definitive website on spices and herbs, where you can
learn about each component of your mixes: http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl
-aem