Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default rec.food.historic what happened to it?

That was a pretty active group last time i looked (many, many years ago) but
nowadays seems abandoned. Anyone knows if there is something similar
somewhere else?

Martin S

--
Pre-1900 recipes: http://www.theoldecookerybook.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Martin S wrote:

> That was a pretty active group last time i looked (many, many years ago) but
> nowadays seems abandoned. Anyone knows if there is something similar
> somewhere else?

I can only provide this datapoint: I checked it last year and it was dead
then. So it's not something that just happened.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Martin S wrote:
>
>> That was a pretty active group last time i looked (many, many years ago)
>> but nowadays seems abandoned. Anyone knows if there is something similar
>> somewhere else?

> I can only provide this datapoint: I checked it last year and it was dead
> then. So it's not something that just happened.

That's too bad
Well, for what it's worth, and if there is no other place for this subject
there is a forum on my site (www.theoldecookerybook.com). I was hoping
though that the fairly large community (back then anyway) simply had
migrated to a web forum somewhere that someone knows about.

Still hoping someone knows where....
--
Pre-1900 recipes: http://www.theoldecookerybook.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 10 Aug 2008 10:42:10p, Martin S told us...

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Martin S wrote:
>>
>>> That was a pretty active group last time i looked (many, many years

ago)
>>> but nowadays seems abandoned. Anyone knows if there is something

similar
>>> somewhere else?

>> I can only provide this datapoint: I checked it last year and it was

dead
>> then. So it's not something that just happened.

> That's too bad
> Well, for what it's worth, and if there is no other place for this

subject
> there is a forum on my site (www.theoldecookerybook.com). I was hoping
> though that the fairly large community (back then anyway) simply had
> migrated to a web forum somewhere that someone knows about.
>
> Still hoping someone knows where....

rec.food.historic shows 1170 posts on the newsgroups supported by Cox. The
last post was dated June 14, 2008.

Date: Aug 10th,2008

Countdown till Labor Day
3wks 1hrs 15mins
Profanity is the one language all
programmers know best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 10 Aug 2008 10:42:10p, Martin S told us...
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

> ago)

> similar
>>>
>>> I can only provide this datapoint: I checked it last year and it was

> dead
>>> then. So it's not something that just happened.

>> That's too bad
>> Well, for what it's worth, and if there is no other place for this

> subject
>> there is a forum on my site (www.theoldecookerybook.com). I was hoping
>> though that the fairly large community (back then anyway) simply had
>> migrated to a web forum somewhere that someone knows about.
>>
>> Still hoping someone knows where....

> rec.food.historic shows 1170 posts on the newsgroups supported by Cox.
> The last post was dated June 14, 2008.

And how much of that is usenet spam?
What is the last message? just checking if my newsserver is ok because 95%
of recent posts is spam on my server.

--
Pre-1900 recipes: http://www.theoldecookerybook.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Martin S wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> ago)

>> similar

>> dead
>>>
>>> That's too bad
>>> Well, for what it's worth, and if there is no other place for this

>> subject
>>> there is a forum on my site (www.theoldecookerybook.com). I was hoping
>>> though that the fairly large community (back then anyway) simply had
>>> migrated to a web forum somewhere that someone knows about.
>>>
>>> Still hoping someone knows where....

>> rec.food.historic shows 1170 posts on the newsgroups supported by Cox.
>> The last post was dated June 14, 2008.

> And how much of that is usenet spam?

And how far back is that retention that has those eleven hundred posts?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 10 Aug 2008 11:06:57p, Martin S told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> That's too bad
>>> Well, for what it's worth, and if there is no other place for this
>>> subject there is a forum on my site (www.theoldecookerybook.com). I
>>> was hoping though that the fairly large community (back then anyway)
>>> simply had migrated to a web forum somewhere that someone knows about.
>>>
>>> Still hoping someone knows where....

>> rec.food.historic shows 1170 posts on the newsgroups supported by Cox.
>> The last post was dated June 14, 2008.

> And how much of that is usenet spam?
> What is the last message? just checking if my newsserver is ok because

95%
> of recent posts is spam on my server.

I only noticed a handful of SPAM posts. Most posts are from long time
posters with names I recognize.

Date: Sunday, Aug(VIII) 10(X),2008(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day
3wks 47mins
Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to
dance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 10 Aug 2008 11:13:21p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> Martin S wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun 10 Aug 2008 10:42:10p, Martin S told us...

>>> rec.food.historic shows 1170 posts on the newsgroups supported by Cox.
>>> The last post was dated June 14, 2008.

>> And how much of that is usenet spam?

> And how far back is that retention that has those eleven hundred posts?

Without going back and checking exactly, the date range is from sometime in
2005 through June, 2008.

Date: Sunday, Aug(VIII) 10th(X),2008(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day
3wks 44mins
Cats must jump onto Dad's stomach when
he is taking a nap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 10 Aug 2008 11:13:21p, Blinky the Shark told us...
>
>> Martin S wrote:

>>> And how much of that is usenet spam?

>> And how far back is that retention that has those eleven hundred posts?
>>

> Without going back and checking exactly, the date range is from sometime in
> 2005 through June, 2008.

So perhaps a post a day, average. That reads: dead. It was probably
spam or kookery, too.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Martin S" > wrote in message
.. .
> That was a pretty active group last time i looked (many, many years ago)
> but
> nowadays seems abandoned. Anyone knows if there is something similar
> somewhere else?
>
> Martin S

I think Terry Byrd posted there and made everyone sick to death.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 10 Aug 2008 11:46:31p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> And how far back is that retention that has those eleven hundred
>>> posts?
>>>

>> Without going back and checking exactly, the date range is from
>> sometime in 2005 through June, 2008.

> So perhaps a post a day, average. That reads: dead. It was probably
> spam or kookery, too.

Okay, dead. However, most did not look like spam or kookey.

Date: August 11th,2008

Countdown till Labor Day
2wks 6dys 18hrs 55mins
*What* Sixties revival? The Sixties
never died!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:22:02 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Martin S wrote:
>
>> That was a pretty active group last time i looked (many, many years ago) but
>> nowadays seems abandoned. Anyone knows if there is something similar
>> somewhere else?

> I can only provide this datapoint: I checked it last year and it was dead
> then. So it's not something that just happened.

i don't think he implied it was 'something that just happened.' can you
account for your whereabouts at that time?

your pal,
inspector blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:46:31 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>

>> Without going back and checking exactly, the date range is from sometime in
>> 2005 through June, 2008.

> So perhaps a post a day, average. That reads: dead. It was probably
> spam or kookery, too.

did the kook spam back in historic times?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

>> That was a pretty active group last time i looked (many, many years ago)
>> but
>> nowadays seems abandoned. Anyone knows if there is something similar
>> somewhere else?
>>
>> Martin S
>>

> I think Terry Byrd posted there and made everyone sick to death.

I'm possibly happy not knowing this guy then.
No one with an idea where people went?

--
Pre-1900 recipes: http://www.theoldecookerybook.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:22:02 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Martin S wrote:
>>
>>> That was a pretty active group last time i looked (many, many years ago) but
>>> nowadays seems abandoned. Anyone knows if there is something similar
>>> somewhere else?

>> I can only provide this datapoint: I checked it last year and it was dead
>> then. So it's not something that just happened.

> i don't think he implied it was 'something that just happened.' can you
> account for your whereabouts at that time?

I did not imply that he implied that; I only placed the demise of the
group to a time earlier than the last year.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:46:31 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>>

>>> Without going back and checking exactly, the date range is from sometime in
>>> 2005 through June, 2008.

>> So perhaps a post a day, average. That reads: dead. It was probably
>> spam or kookery, too.

> did the kook spam back in historic times?

There an image of someome spamming on the Bayeaux Tapestry. Naturally,
they had a different name for it back then. That era marked the beginning
of very heavy French influence on the English language, but it would be
centuries before the language picked up any borrows from the Hormelians.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Martin S wrote:
> I'm possibly happy not knowing this guy then.
> No one with an idea where people went?

I don't have the impression that they defected to anywhere else.
If we want to see some posts there, why don't we start some
threads. You could do that.... :-)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote:

> did the kook spam back in historic times?

Vikings did.

Victor

What happened to Rec.Food.Reipes? GW General Cooking 185 21-05-2009 04:45 PM
rec.food.historic THOMAS RINE Historic 1 18-08-2008 08:24 PM
rec.food.historic scheduled for sporge flood [email protected] Historic 0 09-08-2007 12:44 AM
what happened to alt.food.binaries? Judy Cosler Barbecue 2 10-10-2004 04:07 AM
rec.food.historic,alt.dbs.primestar,soc.culture.venezuela,rec.music.early,soc.genealogy.medieval . Historic 0 17-06-2004 11:47 AM