A.T. Hagan

Default [Sorta OT] TV oranges?

My wife just asked me if I'd ever heard the term "TV orange" before.
Apparently she had an inquiry about when and where the term came from.
Supposedly a "TV orange" is a Satsuma or tangerine type of orange that
is easy to peel while watching television.

Been in Florida all my life, but that's a new one on me. I suspect
it's a regional thing since the original questioner is out of New
York.

Anyone heard the term "TV orange" before and know anything about
when/where it came into use?

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
Jack Schidt®

"A.T. Hagan" > wrote in message

> Anyone heard the term "TV orange" before and know anything about
> when/where it came into use?

That sounds like somebody's household 'cutesy' nickname.

Jack TV

Puester

"A.T. Hagan" wrote:

> Anyone heard the term "TV orange" before and know anything about
> when/where it came into use?
>
> .....Alan.
>
> --

Never heard of it. Sounds like a marketing genius's bad idea.

gloria p

Arri London

"A.T. Hagan" wrote:

> My wife just asked me if I'd ever heard the term "TV orange" before.
> Apparently she had an inquiry about when and where the term came from.
> Supposedly a "TV orange" is a Satsuma or tangerine type of orange that
> is easy to peel while watching television.
>
> Been in Florida all my life, but that's a new one on me. I suspect
> it's a regional thing since the original questioner is out of New
> York.
>
> Anyone heard the term "TV orange" before and know anything about
> when/where it came into use?
>
> .....Alan.
>
> --

In Japan, satsumas and similar fruits are common snacks for children to
eat while watching TV.
Puester

Margaret Suran wrote:

> It's not an expression used in New York City, where imported Spanish
> Clementines would be the ones most likely to be called TV oranges, but
> nobody does call them that. )
>
> MS

I usually call them wonderful. They should be around in a month
or so. After the SPanish season was over last year we had
some fairly good ones from California, too. Not quite as much
flavor, but not bad.

gloria p
PENMART01

Margaret Suran wrote:

>It's not an expression used in New York City, where imported Spanish
>Clementines would be the ones most likely to be called TV oranges, but
>nobody does call them that. )

Yep, TV oranges, refers to medium breasts... sillycone of course, that's why
the TV.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Gregory Morrow

Sheldon wrote:

> Margaret Suran wrote:
> >
> >It's not an expression used in New York City, where imported Spanish
> >Clementines would be the ones most likely to be called TV oranges, but
> >nobody does call them that. )

> Yep, TV oranges, refers to medium breasts... sillycone of course, that's

why
> the TV.

"TV" = "Transvestite" oranges....????

--
Best
Greg

Sylvia

I grew up in Florida, and have lived in NY, California, Texas, and now
Wyoming. Never heard the term.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

jmcquown

Sylvia wrote:
> I grew up in Florida, and have lived in NY, California, Texas, and now
> Wyoming. Never heard the term.

Never heard of WHAT?! Honestly, if you would quote what you are replying to
perhaps someone other than the OP would have a clue.

barry in indy

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Sylvia wrote:
> > I grew up in Florida, and have lived in NY, California,

Texas, and now
> > Wyoming. Never heard the term.

> Never heard of WHAT?! Honestly, if you would quote what you

are replying to
> perhaps someone other than the OP would have a clue.

Now, now. The topic is in the header, after all.

--
barry in indy

PENMART01

"jmcquown" > writes:

>Sylvia Bedpanaghetti wrote:
>>I grew up in Florida, and have lived in NY, California, Texas, and now
>>Wyoming. Never heard the term.

>Never heard of WHAT?! Honestly, if you would quote what you are replying to
>perhaps someone other than the OP would have a clue.

With Sylvia's sentence fragments/broken English the obviously uneducated bed
pan jockey has got to be ayetalian, a shadrool, a typical bimbo.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Puester

jmcquown wrote:

> Sylvia wrote:
> > I grew up in Florida, and have lived in NY, California, Texas, and now
> > Wyoming. Never heard the term.

> Never heard of WHAT?! Honestly, if you would quote what you are replying to
> perhaps someone other than the OP would have a clue.

Doesn't the subject line kind of give it away, Jill?

gloria p
PENMART01

Puester writes:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>Sylvia wrote:
>>>I grew up in Florida, and have lived in NY, California, Texas, and now
>>>Wyoming. Never heard the term.

>>Never heard of WHAT?! Honestly, if you would quote what you are replying
>>to perhaps someone other than the OP would have a clue.

>Doesn't the subject line kind of give it away, Jill?

Nope, there isn't a clue about what Sylvia is refering to, not when she is
incapable of writing in complete sentences... trying to read Sylvia's posts is
like attempting to decipher the verbal meanderings of a three year old, an
autistic three year old.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Miche

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Sylvia wrote:
> > I grew up in Florida, and have lived in NY, California, Texas, and now
> > Wyoming. Never heard the term.

> Never heard of WHAT?! Honestly, if you would quote what you are replying to
> perhaps someone other than the OP would have a clue.

Take a look at the subject line.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

sf

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 16:47:03 +1300, Miche
> wrote:

> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > Sylvia wrote:
> > > I grew up in Florida, and have lived in NY, California, Texas, and now
> > > Wyoming. Never heard the term.

> > Never heard of WHAT?! Honestly, if you would quote what you are replying to
> > perhaps someone other than the OP would have a clue.

> Take a look at the subject line.

I guess you have to watch a shopping channel to understand.
I don't, so I didn't.

jmcquown

Puester wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Sylvia wrote:
>>> I grew up in Florida, and have lived in NY, California, Texas, and
>>> now Wyoming. Never heard the term.

>> Never heard of WHAT?! Honestly, if you would quote what you are
>> replying to perhaps someone other than the OP would have a clue.

> Doesn't the subject line kind of give it away, Jill?
>
> gloria p

Nope. What is a TV orange? Is this something she saw on television? I have
no clue.

Jill

PENMART01

==Sylvia wrote:==
==I grew up in Florida, and have lived in NY, California, Texas, and==
==now Wyoming. Never heard the term.==

Besides that she includes *nothing* of any previous posts reread Sylvia's out
of context inclusion.... first she's refering to various States, then in an
immediately following fercocktah sentence fragment she emphatically states that
she hasn't a clue about 'what a State is'?[WHAT] Sylvia is most obviously a
moron, with maybe perhaps a 4th grade elementary school education... her
contributions are on par with the most imbecilic ever posted here... no friggin
way is she a Registered Nurse, not in the US of A. If you'd believe Sylvia is
a Registered Nurse then you'd believe that Jill is a Neuro Surgeon.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

jmcquown

PENMART01 wrote:
> "jmcquown" writes:
>
>> Puester wrote:

>>> Doesn't the subject line kind of give it away, Jill?

>> Nope. What is a TV orange? Is this something she saw on television?
>> I have no clue.

> ==Sylvia wrote:==
> ==I grew up in Florida, and have lived in NY, California, Texas, and==
> ==now Wyoming. Never heard the term.==
>
> Besides that she includes *nothing* of any previous posts reread
> Sylvia's out of context inclusion.... first she's refering to various
> States, then in an immediately following fercocktah sentence fragment
> she emphatically states that she hasn't a clue about 'what a State
> is'?[WHAT] Sylvia is most obviously a moron, with maybe perhaps a
> 4th grade elementary school education... her contributions are on par
> with the most imbecilic ever posted here... no friggin way is she a
> Registered Nurse, not in the US of A. If you'd believe Sylvia is a
> Registered Nurse then you'd believe that Jill is a Neuro Surgeon.

Ahem... I got my degree from Harvard School of Medicine... did my surgical
rotation at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis.

Believe that and you'll have to give me your latest kitten. You are remiss
in sending photos from the farm

Jill

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Agnes7777" > wrote in message

> Nope. Never heard it in Michigan, Kentucky or Arizona. The only site on

"tv
> oranges" that I found with google was from Japan.
>
> http://www.jica.go.jp/branch/tic/mon...f/ticm0109.pdf
>
> Basically, it just says that mikan are easy to peel and are called "TV

orange"
> in the United States.
>

> Agnes

Hee, hee. Reminds me of how my Japanese students thought fried chicken and
ice cream cake were popular Christmas dinner foods in the US. Japanese
people have a large number of misconceptions of what happens in the US, just
as I'm sure many USians have of the Japanese (though probably not as
egregious).

rona

Greykits

>>> Doesn't the subject line kind of give it away, Jill?

>>Nope. What is a TV orange? Is this something she saw on television? I have
>>no clue.

>==Sylvia wrote:==
>==I grew up in Florida, and have lived in NY, California, Texas, and==
>==now Wyoming. Never heard the term.==
>
>Besides that she includes *nothing* of any previous posts reread Sylvia's out
>of context inclusion.... first she's refering to various States, then in an
>immediately following fercocktah sentence fragment she emphatically states
>that
>she hasn't a clue about 'what a State is'?[WHAT] Sylvia is most obviously a
>moron, with maybe perhaps a 4th grade elementary school education... her
>contributions are on par with the most imbecilic ever posted here... no
>friggin
>way is she a Registered Nurse, not in the US of A. If you'd believe Sylvia
>is
>a Registered Nurse then you'd believe that Jill is a Neuro Surgeon.

Most of the RN's I know have a two-year degree and not a BSN. Actually, the 2
with PHD's in nursing I worked with, in management, were not better nurses.
One had to cover the floor and made a potentially deadly med error. I found
that the best nurses were the ones who started as CNA's, found that they
enjoyed caring for people, and then got their nursing degrees.

Home schooling brings up some concerns.
If my mother had home-schooled me, I think she would have missed certain
important areas of my education that were available to me in school. School
also helps to socialize kids. There are good and bad experiences, but I think
it helps prepare one for life better than home schooling. So many now just get
GED's and don't even make it through high school.

There are many excellent teachers in my family, and if they had taught their
children at home (but didn't) I think the children would still have turned out
as exceptionally well as they have. The only home school mother I knew was a
neighbor. These people were in some fundamentalist Christian sect and I doubt
that she gave her kids a well-rounded education.

..2 from a rocket scientist

>---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
>Sheldon
>````````````
>"Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

rharps.com
A.T. Hagan

wrote on 11/2/03 11:35 AM:

>>> Besides that she includes *nothing* of any previous posts reread
>>> Sylvia's out of context inclusion.... first she's refering to
>>> various States, then in an immediately following fercocktah sentence
>>> fragment she emphatically states that
>>> she hasn't a clue about 'what a State is'?[WHAT] Sylvia is most
>>> obviously a moron, with maybe perhaps a 4th grade elementary school
>>> education... her contributions are on par with the most imbecilic
>>> ever posted here... no friggin
>>> way is she a Registered Nurse, not in the US of A. If you'd believe
>>> Sylvia is a Registered Nurse then you'd believe that Jill is a Neuro
>>> Surgeon.
>>>

>> know what the scariest part of the whole Sylvia equation is?
>> She apparently *home schools* her kids!

>YIKES!

There is certainly one thing that rec.food.cooking can hold it's own
in relative to other, ostensibly rougher newsgroups, and that is being
catty.

Meow, meow, meow.

For what it's worth, I'm the one that started this thread and I asked
a question about whether anyone had ever heard of satsuma or tangerine
type oranges being referred to as "TV oranges" anywhere in the U.S.
No one has it seems, apparently it springs from a Japanese
misconception of American snack foods.

I have no idea of how well Sylvia may home school her children, nor
how well she does at her nursing job. Don't much care either as
neither are germane to this newsgroup.

I do know that some folks in here who may otherwise be very well
educated somehow managed to get through their public schooling with an
appalling sense of good manners, good taste, and tact.

If you think I may be talking about you I probably am.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
Rick & Cyndi

<snip>

: .....Alan.

: Curiosity killed the cat -
: lack of it is killing mankind.
=========

My G'mother's phrase is:

Curiosity may have killed the cat...

but satisfaction brought him back!

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Sheryl Rosen

Default Home Schooling, was [Sorta OT] TV oranges?

in article , Greykits at
ittens wrote on 11/2/03 6:15 PM:

> The only home school mother I knew was a
> neighbor. These people were in some fundamentalist Christian sect and I doubt
> that she gave her kids a well-rounded education.
>
> .2 from a rocket scientist

This often seems to be the case. Not saying it's true in all cases, but many
people who choose to home school are doing it because they are, shall we
say---either way far to the left or way far to the right, in terms of their
ideologies, either political or religious.

I worry about home schooled kids for many reasons: one, of course, is
socialization. Kids learn valuable social skills when they interact with
other kids outside of their family. Home schooling isolates kids. Parents
can argue it's a controlled environment....but that can be interpreted many
ways. Yeah, they control their kids' exposure to murderers, drug dealers,
and other harmful influences which is a good thing, of course. But it also
controls their exposure to any groups of people they might deem
"inappropriate" (Jews, Blacks, Latinos, Whites, Fundamentalist Christians,
Catholics, Protestants, Gays, people with disabilities, whatever the parents
are afraid of). And that's not any way to teach your kids about accepting
people for who they are, one of the valuable lessons one learns in school.

Another reason I worry: it's not healthy for a kid to be with their
parent(s) 24/7. It's not good for the parents or the kids. Time apart is a
good thing in any relationship, and how can a child ever learn to be
independent when Mommy or Daddy (usually it's Mommy though) are always
there? And remember that woman down in Houston, was it? She had something
like 7 kids, and drowned them all in the tub? She was a home-schooler.
Never got a minute away from her brood. NEVER. At least, when you send your
kids to school, you have 5-6 hours to get things done without someone
screaming "mommy mommy mommy" at the top of their lungs. I can't imagine
why someone wouldn't send their kids to school, if for no other reason than
to get a few hours away from them, which is a very healthy thing for all
concerned.

There is just so much wrong with home schooling. About the only thing good
about it, it doesn't cost the taxpayers money. But if it would keep people
from drowning their kids just to get some peace and quiet, and creating a
generation of decent, respectful people instead of a bunch of selfish
heathens...Hey, taxman, here's my money, pay some teachers and buy some text
books, wouldja?

Nancy Young

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> And remember that woman down in Houston, was it? She had something
> like 7 kids, and drowned them all in the tub? She was a home-schooler.
> Never got a minute away from her brood. NEVER. At least, when you send your
> kids to school, you have 5-6 hours to get things done without someone
> screaming "mommy mommy mommy" at the top of their lungs.

Notice they often seem to have plenty of sex themselves, while being
intolerent of sex education in schools? My cousin has a passel of
kids she homeschools for religious reasons. You know, so they
wouldn't learn about sex. Because it's bad. Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
And her husband is an obstetrician!!!

nancy

Frogleg

wrote on 11/2/03 6:15 PM:

>> The only home school mother I knew was a
>> neighbor. These people were in some fundamentalist Christian sect and I doubt
>> that she gave her kids a well-rounded education.

"Sect" is a rather prejudicial term, 'though it is true that some
conservative(?) Christians choose to homeschool. There are many
non-religious reasons, too. A poor public school system, learning
difficulties that a public school system seems unable to address,
distance, and frequent travel among them. In Virginia at least, there
are laws and regulations, certifications, applications, and curriculum
requirements, and regular progress testing. *I* happen to think
homeschooling is often a bad idea, particularly when it's undertaken
to "protect" a child from ideological contamination. But few could
deny that a "teacher" with 2-5 students might well be able to provide
a pretty decent education.
Siobhan Perricone

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 03:43:21 GMT, Sheryl Rosen >
wrote:

>I worry about home schooled kids for many reasons: one, of course, is
>socialization.

As I recall (which could be wrong, it's been a while since I've read
anything on this), most states have a "social" requirement for home
schooled kids where they're expected to do a certain amount of activities
each week with other kids in some outside setting. Like a class at the Y or
something like that. It's part of their lesson plans.

>other kids outside of their family. Home schooling isolates kids. Parents
>can argue it's a controlled environment....but that can be interpreted many
>ways.

I suspect you have a slightly skewed view of this. Most of the parents I've
heard about who home schooled weren't religious idealogues or whackos. They
were people who sincerely felt that the public school system in their area
wasn't doing right by their kids, and felt they were willing to do the work
to do better for them. They didn't just want to control everything, they
wanted quality.

>Another reason I worry: it's not healthy for a kid to be with their
>parent(s) 24/7.

I don't know where you got this idea. The concept of kids leaving the
family unit at all during the day is a modern one. Throughout the vast
majority of human history kids spent all day working alongside their
parents as soon as they were able to take up chores. Separate schools set
up for children (as opposed to young adults, like colleges and
universities) are a modern construct. Sure, the children of the rich had
some sort of education, and often did go away to get that education
somewhere else, but the rich have never been in the majority. The common
folk didn't send their kids off anywhere for education, except perhaps when
it was time for them to be apprenticed in a trade, if they were lucky
enough to enter a trade.

So, basically, through most of human history, most families were around
each other all the time, and they managed just fine.

But, just another note, these kids aren't imprisoned at home, chained to
their parents with padlocks. They play in the neighborhoods, they get
involved with hobbies, they have friends, just like other kids.

>And remember that woman down in Houston, was it? She had something
>like 7 kids, and drowned them all in the tub? She was a home-schooler.

Oh for crying out loud. She was a woman, too! KEEP WOMEN AWAY FROM CHILDREN
And she was white, better not let any white women be around kids. And from
Texas, time to take all the children away from Texans.

She was insane, she had post partum depression that went untreated. It had
nothing to do with home schooling.

>There is just so much wrong with home schooling. About the only thing good
>about it, it doesn't cost the taxpayers money. But if it would keep people

This, frankly, is just bullpuckey. You're shooting from the hip here and
haven't even studied the issue at all. You've taken a few impressions from
a very few unreliable sources and built a sweeping generalization from it,
damning everyone who engages in an activity that you don't understand and
won't bother to.

Given the crap that goes on in the public schools, and given how bad some
public schools are, there simply are some situations where an engaged
parent who is doing the home schooling cannot help but be better.

And no, I don't have kids, and I don't home school, and I don't have any
family who home schools, and I don't have any friends who home school. I've
just done a little reading about it out of curiousity.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the human physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"
Greg Zywicki

Nancy Young > wrote in message >...
> Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> >
> > in article , Nancy Young at

> > > Notice they often seem to have plenty of sex themselves, while being
> > > intolerent of sex education in schools? My cousin has a passel of
> > > kids she homeschools for religious reasons. You know, so they
> > > wouldn't learn about sex. Because it's bad. Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
> > > And her husband is an obstetrician!!!

> > Nancy, what's wrong with you?
> > Sex doesn't make babies. Passing out Condoms in School makes babies.
> > Silly!

> You know, sometimes I don't think. Silly me.
>
> Kinda like the Catholic church preaching that condoms don't prevent
> AIDS. Those whacky kids. So what if they are dropping like flies.
>
> nancy (betting my cousin has boring sex)

Ha ha! You're both so witty and morally superior! I pity these kids,
whose narrowminded parents object to 12-year-olds being taught that
in-marriage sex, non-monogamous same sex adventurism, man-boy love and
sex with livestock are morally equivalent.

Greg Zywicki

Nancy Young

Greg Zywicki wrote:

> > > Nancy, what's wrong with you?
> > > Sex doesn't make babies. Passing out Condoms in School makes babies.
> > > Silly!

> > You know, sometimes I don't think. Silly me.

> Ha ha! You're both so witty and morally superior!

Morally superior? Where'd you come up with that? I can guarantee
you, you don't know me.

> I pity these kids,
> whose narrowminded parents object to 12-year-olds being taught that
> in-marriage sex, non-monogamous same sex adventurism, man-boy love and
> sex with livestock are morally equivalent.

Let's not go wild here. That's just silly.

nancy
j*ni p.

Hark! I heard Sheryl Rosen > say:

<snip>
> Another reason I worry: it's not healthy for a kid to be with their
> parent(s) 24/7. It's not good for the parents or the kids.

After Columbine, we kicked around the idea of home schooling. I'm
neither an advocate nor critic, we just decided that it's just not for
us (and we were able to get Small Child into a very good local school).
One of my concerns, along with socialization as Sheryl mentioned, is of
my kid not being exposed to the various virii one meets in your average
public/private schools. As frustrating as it is to have a cold on a
holiday, they do need to exercise those little immune systems...

--
j*ni p. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Gina *

>>Ha ha! You're both so witty and morally >>superior! I pity these kids,

whose >>narrowminded parents object to 12-year-olds >>being taught that
in-marriage sex, >>non-monogamous same sex adventurism, >>man-boy love
and sex with livestock are >>morally equivalent.
>>Greg Zywicki .

..
Greg, are you saying you live in an area where pedophilia is taught as
something appropriate? No one I know would think that much less teach
that. Ditto for bestiality. And BTW, Greg, chld rape is predominately a
rape to a female child. USDOJ stats are my source for that.
While some religions preach the marital state is the only proper arena
for sexual activity, what business is of anyone's what consenting
adults do? What about same-sex monogamy? Points to ponder.

~~~Gina~~~

Dan Abel

In article >, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

I've enjoyed your posts about food and other things. However, I thinked
you flunked Homeschooling 101.

> This often seems to be the case. Not saying it's true in all cases, but many
> people who choose to home school are doing it because they are, shall we
> say---either way far to the left or way far to the right, in terms of their
> ideologies, either political or religious.

I understand that this is true for some. The home schoolers I've known
haven't been for this reason.

> I worry about home schooled kids for many reasons: one, of course, is
> socialization. Kids learn valuable social skills when they interact with
> other kids outside of their family. Home schooling isolates kids.

There may be some parents who lock their children in the basement and call
that homeschooling. The homeschooling parents I've known put their kids
in many more activities than most other children.

> Another reason I worry: it's not healthy for a kid to be with their
> parent(s) 24/7. It's not good for the parents or the kids. Time apart is a
> good thing in any relationship, and how can a child ever learn to be
> independent when Mommy or Daddy (usually it's Mommy though) are always
> there?

Homeschooling parents often band together and pool their expertise. One
parent will take a bunch of children and teach them music. Another will
teach woodworking, etc. Taken together with all those activities I
mentioned in my previous paragraph, it's nothing like 24X7 for the ones
I've known.

> There is just so much wrong with home schooling. About the only thing good
> about it, it doesn't cost the taxpayers money.

And here's your final disaster. I don't know about other states, but here
in California, many homeschooling parents enroll their children in the
local school. The school gets full funding for that child, as though they
were attending classes there. The parent gets help in curriculum design,
and curriculum materials. In return, the parent must agree to a written
curriculum, and must provide documentation that the child studied the
curriculum, and the school does routine testing of the child. This got to
be quite a racket in some school districts, where they would recruit
students from fairly distant areas, but I think that the State has cracked
down. The school districts were almost paying the parents to sign up. On
paper, the district was reimbursing for educational expenses, like that
trip to Disneyland^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HSouthern California to study the old
Spanish Missions.

Am I a homeschooling enthusiast? No, I think homeschooling is not a good
idea most of the time.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Really, this is so simple. There *is* no such thing as "homeschooling".
Either the kid is in school, or he isn't.