Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2008-08-05) NS-RFC: Remembering the shopping bags...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

Daughter-unit Alpha chose the Special Occasion #3.

MCINL; I use D-uA and D-uB to assist with my memory.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

> Daughter-unit Alpha chose the Special Occasion #3.
>
> MCINL; I use D-uA and D-uB to assist with my memory.
>
> The Ranger

Hmph. The question was "Approximately how often do /you/ remember to
take your own bags (or backpacks etc.) *into* the the various food
market(s)... i.e. not whether you remember once you're in there
(and 'exploit' your offspring to go back to the car to get them)...

However, as your D-u's do this service for you, Alpha is quite welcome
to the Tiara...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 5, 2:12 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

{Superiority complex on}
I've been using my own bags for over 30 years. Got some cloth ones,
and fought the store personnel for years to be allowed to
a) bring the bags into the store, and
b) use the bags to stow my purchases.

Most of them I got for free or $1, and they lasted for ages.

I will admit to taking a liking to the insulated bags, as my cooler
was getting to be a pain to cart around...
{snooty superiority complex off}

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in message
> The Ranger wrote:
>> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>>
>>> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

>> Daughter-unit Alpha chose the Special Occasion #3.
>>
>> MCINL; I use D-uA and D-uB to assist with my memory.
>>

> Hmph. The question was "Approximately how often do
> /you/ remember to take your own bags (or backpacks etc.)
> *into* the the various food market(s)... i.e. not whether
> you remember once you're in there (and 'exploit' your
> offspring to go back to the car to get them)...

They are integral parts when I go out shopping. Besides, it's
not exploitation if they willingly assist their ailing
father-unit! (Especially when it provides them such rich
opportunities to pop off with relative immunity.)

> However, as your D-u's do this service for you, Alpha
> is quite welcome to the Tiara...

She already has the Real McCoy but was captivated by the
Merlin's (Sorcerer's) Cap.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>> The Ranger wrote:

>>> Daughter-unit Alpha chose the Special Occasion #3.
>>>
>>> MCINL; I use D-uA and D-uB to assist with my memory.
>>>

>> Hmph. The question was "Approximately how often do
>> /you/ remember to take your own bags (or backpacks etc.)
>> *into* the the various food market(s)... i.e. not whether
>> you remember once you're in there (and 'exploit' your
>> offspring to go back to the car to get them)...

> They are integral parts when I go out shopping. Besides, it's
> not exploitation if they willingly assist their ailing
> father-unit! (Especially when it provides them such rich
> opportunities to pop off with relative immunity.)

<grin>

>> However, as your D-u's do this service for you, Alpha
>> is quite welcome to the Tiara...

> She already has the Real McCoy but was captivated by the
> Merlin's (Sorcerer's) Cap.

She is welcome to that too ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

> Daughter-unit Alpha chose the Special Occasion #3.
>
> MCINL; I use D-uA and D-uB to assist with my memory.

Is there an English version of your reply available somewhere?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark > wrote in message
news
> The Ranger wrote:
>> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>>
>>> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

>> Daughter-unit Alpha chose the Special Occasion #3.
>>
>> MCINL; I use D-uA and D-uB to assist with my memory.

> Is there an English version of your reply available
> somewhere?

It'd be way beyond your capacity -- edible/nonedible.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 05 Aug 2008 11:57:35a, Blinky the Shark told us...

> The Ranger wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>>
>>> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

>> Daughter-unit Alpha chose the Special Occasion #3.
>>
>> MCINL; I use D-uA and D-uB to assist with my memory.

> Is there an English version of your reply available somewhere?

I doubt it. I don't recall ever reading intelligible English
spoken/written here.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 08(VIII)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 5, 12:04 pm, Duh-Wayne ****wit brayed aloud to Blinky's
request...
[snip]
> > Is there an English version of your reply available somewhere?
> >

> I doubt it. I don't recall ever reading intelligible English
> spoken/written here.

How about starting with you, ****wit.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Aug 5, 12:04 pm, Duh-Wayne ****wit brayed aloud to
> Blinky's
> request...
> [snip]
>> > Is there an English version of your reply available
>> > somewhere?
>> >

>> I doubt it. I don't recall ever reading intelligible
>> English
>> spoken/written here.

Irony Meter pegged...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 05 Aug 2008 11:57:35a, Blinky the Shark told us...

> The Ranger wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>>
>>> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

>> Daughter-unit Alpha chose the Special Occasion #3.
>>
>> MCINL; I use D-uA and D-uB to assist with my memory.

> Is there an English version of your reply available somewhere?

The Alpha unit probably has a dying battery or is having a brain-fart.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 08(VIII)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)
Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25,
dumb looks are still free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

The nearest Albertsons is at least 20 miles down the coast and Costco is
another 20 minutes past that and Trader Joe's is another 10 minutes past
Costco. I carry 2 things. First is a cooler with a chunk or 2 of Blue Ice
for the really frozen stuff. Secondly Costco makes an assortment of 3 large
bags, very large bags. One the bags is insulated with 3 Velcro strips on
the top. I try to make a major trip every 2 weeks or so. Both of these
items have been very useful in keeping the frozen goods frozen. For the
local store a while ago they had a coupon for 2 free canvas bags which I
almost always use.

Since this is geriatric heights if you have more than 2 bags of groceries
the box persons at the "Cookie Crock" local store who bag the groceries
actually wheel the basket out to your car and will load the trunk or back
seat for you.

Service. no tipping is expected or accepted.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

Truth be told, it's somewhat comforting to know that other
people have trouble remembering to bring the bags with them.
Other people who seem to have their act together find themselves
at checkout thinking, I didn't bring the bags.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

> Blinky the Shark > wrote in message
> news
>> The Ranger wrote:

>>> Daughter-unit Alpha chose the Special Occasion #3.
>>>
>>> MCINL; I use D-uA and D-uB to assist with my memory.

>> Is there an English version of your reply available
>> somewhere?

> It'd be way beyond your capacity -- edible/nonedible.

I was afraid of that. Dang it.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

We probably remember our bags 70% of the time or so. When we don't, I
just get paper ones and use them for things like collecting paper
recyclables, setting out Freecycle goods, and draining fried foods.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Truth be told, it's somewhat comforting to know that other
> people have trouble remembering to bring the bags with them.
> Other people who seem to have their act together find themselves
> at checkout thinking, I didn't bring the bags.

It took me a while before I got into the habit of talking my bags
with me to do the shopping. I started putting the bags into the car
right after unpacking the groceries. Now that it is summer I run
most of my errands by bicycle or by motorcycle and always take a
back pack with me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 5, 12:26 pm, Duh-Wayne ****wit blathered:
[snip forgettable text]

Wishing you nothing but the best too, ****wit.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Truth be told, it's somewhat comforting to know that other
>> people have trouble remembering to bring the bags with them.
>> Other people who seem to have their act together find themselves
>> at checkout thinking, I didn't bring the bags.

> It took me a while before I got into the habit of talking my bags
> with me to do the shopping. I started putting the bags into the car
> right after unpacking the groceries. Now that it is summer I run
> most of my errands by bicycle or by motorcycle and always take a
> back pack with me.

I have put them in the back seat, I still don't think to bring
them in. Thing is, they're especially handy since you don't
have to worry about how much you load them up, they are so
sturdy. There is no downside to bringing the bags, which makes
is so ridiculous that I forget. I'm going to start putting it on my
shopping lists, bring bags.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> Truth be told, it's somewhat comforting to know that other
>>> people have trouble remembering to bring the bags with them.
>>> Other people who seem to have their act together find themselves
>>> at checkout thinking, I didn't bring the bags.

>> It took me a while before I got into the habit of talking my bags
>> with me to do the shopping. I started putting the bags into the car
>> right after unpacking the groceries. Now that it is summer I run
>> most of my errands by bicycle or by motorcycle and always take a
>> back pack with me.

> I have put them in the back seat, I still don't think to bring
> them in. Thing is, they're especially handy since you don't
> have to worry about how much you load them up, they are so
> sturdy. There is no downside to bringing the bags, which makes
> is so ridiculous that I forget. I'm going to start putting it on my
> shopping lists, bring bags.

I grab my shopping list (if I remember it!) and stick it in my pocket.
When I pull it out, in the store, it wouldn't be helpful for it to say
"Bring Bags".

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

> We probably remember our bags 70% of the time or so. When we don't, I
> just get paper ones and use them for things like collecting paper
> recyclables, setting out Freecycle goods, and draining fried foods.

Draining fried foods?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Never. I don't bring my own bags, nor will I ever.

If I were to buy into the anti-new-bag hype and avoid using new 100%
recyclable plastic or paper bags each trip to the store, I wouldn't
bring my own bags, I'd simply put my purchases in the cart and wheel
them out to my truck, as is the norm at places like Sam's and Costco.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
ndwidth...
> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

> Daughter-unit Alpha chose the Special Occasion #3.
>
> MCINL; I use D-uA and D-uB to assist with my memory.

Could I borrow them for similar assistance?

TammyM, offspringless relying on mine own memory and/or the kindness of
others

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Aug 5, 2:12 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

> {Superiority complex on}

If it's true, it's not a complex, the way I see it.

> I've been using my own bags for over 30 years. Got some cloth ones,
> and fought the store personnel for years to be allowed to
> a) bring the bags into the store, and
> b) use the bags to stow my purchases.

How funny is that. I guess they thought they weren't sanitary?
Like your pocketbook is presumably cleaner?

> I will admit to taking a liking to the insulated bags, as my cooler
> was getting to be a pain to cart around...
> {snooty superiority complex off}

I should get a cooler bag for frozen stuff I buy at Costco.
It could be another thing I leave home.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I have put them in the back seat, I still don't think to bring
>> them in. Thing is, they're especially handy since you don't
>> have to worry about how much you load them up, they are so
>> sturdy. There is no downside to bringing the bags, which makes
>> is so ridiculous that I forget. I'm going to start putting it on my
>> shopping lists, bring bags.

> I grab my shopping list (if I remember it!) and stick it in my pocket.
> When I pull it out, in the store, it wouldn't be helpful for it to say
> "Bring Bags".

True enough, but it's only a few steps into the store before I look
at the list, not too late to run back.

I think it was Wayne who said leave my pocketbook in there and
face the music at checkout time. Oh, I'd just die. I did that once.
Wanted to die.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Never. I don't bring my own bags, nor will I ever.
>
> If I were to buy into the anti-new-bag hype and avoid using new 100%
> recyclable plastic or paper bags each trip to the store, I wouldn't
> bring my own bags, I'd simply put my purchases in the cart and wheel
> them out to my truck, as is the norm at places like Sam's and Costco.

What, and make a dozen trips from the car to the house? Not likely.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > Never. I don't bring my own bags, nor will I ever.
> >
> > If I were to buy into the anti-new-bag hype and avoid using new 100%
> > recyclable plastic or paper bags each trip to the store, I wouldn't
> > bring my own bags, I'd simply put my purchases in the cart and wheel
> > them out to my truck, as is the norm at places like Sam's and Costco.

> What, and make a dozen trips from the car to the house? Not likely.

Nope, quite easy to keep a box / container in the truck, no need to
bring anything into the store, leave in the truck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> maxine in ri wrote:
> > On Aug 5, 2:12 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> >> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> >>
> >> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

> > {Superiority complex on}

> If it's true, it's not a complex, the way I see it.
>
> > I've been using my own bags for over 30 years. Got some cloth ones,
> > and fought the store personnel for years to be allowed to
> > a) bring the bags into the store, and
> > b) use the bags to stow my purchases.

> How funny is that. I guess they thought they weren't sanitary?
> Like your pocketbook is presumably cleaner?

Think shoplifting.

> > I will admit to taking a liking to the insulated bags, as my cooler
> > was getting to be a pain to cart around...
> > {snooty superiority complex off}

> I should get a cooler bag for frozen stuff I buy at Costco.
> It could be another thing I leave home.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I have put them in the back seat, I still don't think to bring
> them in. Thing is, they're especially handy since you don't
> have to worry about how much you load them up, they are so
> sturdy. There is no downside to bringing the bags, which makes
> is so ridiculous that I forget. I'm going to start putting it on my
> shopping lists, bring bags.

When I was first married and did the shopping I used to get a weeks
groceries in 3-4 of the old paper grocery bags. When they switched to
plastic it took at least 3 times as many bags. With the reusable bags I
am back to 3-4.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I have put them in the back seat, I still don't think to bring
>>> them in. Thing is, they're especially handy since you don't
>>> have to worry about how much you load them up, they are so
>>> sturdy. There is no downside to bringing the bags, which makes
>>> is so ridiculous that I forget. I'm going to start putting it on my
>>> shopping lists, bring bags.

>> I grab my shopping list (if I remember it!) and stick it in my pocket.
>> When I pull it out, in the store, it wouldn't be helpful for it to say
>> "Bring Bags".

> True enough, but it's only a few steps into the store before I look
> at the list, not too late to run back.

Grab a couple for me, too, willya? 'Cause at that point, I'm not going
clear back out to the car just to get bags.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> maxine in ri wrote:

>>> I've been using my own bags for over 30 years. Got some cloth ones,
>>> and fought the store personnel for years to be allowed to
>>> a) bring the bags into the store, and
>>> b) use the bags to stow my purchases.

>> How funny is that. I guess they thought they weren't sanitary?
>> Like your pocketbook is presumably cleaner?

> Think shoplifting.

True enough, but many women's pocketbooks are cavernous.
If they were looking to shoplift, bringing special bags wouldn't
be necessary. Plus she said they didn't want her putting her
purchases in her own bags after she paid for them.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM > wrote in message
> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
> ndwidth...
>> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>>
>>> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

>> Daughter-unit Alpha chose the Special Occasion #3.
>>
>> MCINL; I use D-uA and D-uB to assist with my memory.

> Could I borrow them for similar assistance?
>
> TammyM, offspringless relying on mine own memory
> and/or the kindness of others

They're both girl scouts so they're used to helping the
elderly.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> If I were to buy into the anti-new-bag hype and avoid using new 100%
> recyclable plastic or paper bags each trip to the store, I wouldn't
> bring my own bags, I'd simply put my purchases in the cart and wheel
> them out to my truck, as is the norm at places like Sam's and Costco.

That is how we used to shop at the large Vertkauf Markt in Germany.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2008-08-05) Remembering the shopping bags...

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

My not listed choice: We have a dog. We have suburban laws saying we
must pick up after our dog. Even if we thought we could get away with
it, we have neighbors we like and would like to continue to get along
with. Thus, we need plastic bags.

I get frustrated when visiting my in-laws at the way the recycling
stacks up. They don't have curbside, but they're not great about
running the errand to drop off the recycling. I'm a guest in the house
so it shouldn't be any of my business, but it drives me nuts to pass
mountains of plastic bags, plastic bottles, cartons, etc. in the
basement. So the last time I visited, I made it a point to bring cloth
bags with me everywhere I went. I did remember. I liked doing it.

In particular, we were at a timeshare in the Canadian Rockies, Fairmont
Hot Springs. At the small food market there, I brought out the cloth
bag and got a nice thank-you from the clerk. Since the town consists of
the permanent locals on the one hand and the temporary tourists at the
timeshares on the other, the thank-you meant a lot to me. I thought it
was a way of acknowledging that I don't live there but was still doing a
little something to help the local ecology.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 18:03:26 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>I should get a cooler bag for frozen stuff I buy at Costco.
>It could be another thing I leave home.

I used to keep an igloo in my car trunk for those things.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

> Truth be told, it's somewhat comforting to know that other
> people have trouble remembering to bring the bags with them.
> Other people who seem to have their act together find themselves
> at checkout thinking, I didn't bring the bags.
>
> nancy

So pin the grocery list to a cloth grocery bag...and put the other cloth
bags in it too. Then hang the bag on the door knob so it will be seen.
That way at least they'll make the trip to the store. They might not get
into the store but they will at least see the parking lot.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 5, 6:03 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
> > On Aug 5, 2:12 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> >>http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> >> Gonna blame Nancy Young's thread for this one.

> > {Superiority complex on}

> If it's true, it's not a complex, the way I see it.
>
> > I've been using my own bags for over 30 years. Got some cloth ones,
> > and fought the store personnel for years to be allowed to
> > a) bring the bags into the store, and
> > b) use the bags to stow my purchases.

> How funny is that. I guess they thought they weren't sanitary?
> Like your pocketbook is presumably cleaner?
>
> > I will admit to taking a liking to the insulated bags, as my cooler
> > was getting to be a pain to cart around...
> > {snooty superiority complex off}

> I should get a cooler bag for frozen stuff I buy at Costco.
> It could be another thing I leave home.
>
> nancy

Not if you're planning on buying seafood or ice cream and
it's 102 in the shade and 130 in the car when you are done
shopping!

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 5, 6:27 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Pete C. wrote:
> > > Never. I don't bring my own bags, nor will I ever.

> > > If I were to buy into the anti-new-bag hype and avoid using new 100%
> > > recyclable plastic or paper bags each trip to the store, I wouldn't
> > > bring my own bags, I'd simply put my purchases in the cart and wheel
> > > them out to my truck, as is the norm at places like Sam's and Costco.

> > What, and make a dozen trips from the car to the house? Not likely.

> Nope, quite easy to keep a box / container in the truck, no need to
> bring anything into the store, leave in the truck.

A shopping cart that you can wheel down from the truckbed!
The kind the city folk use all the time.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 5, 9:10 pm, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 18:03:26 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
> >I should get a cooler bag for frozen stuff I buy at Costco.
> >It could be another thing I leave home.

> I used to keep an igloo in my car trunk for those things.

Didn't it melt in the summertime? (she asks innocently...)

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 19:23:44 -0700 (PDT), maxine in ri
> wrote:

>On Aug 5, 9:10 pm, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 18:03:26 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I should get a cooler bag for frozen stuff I buy at Costco.
>> >It could be another thing I leave home.

>> I used to keep an igloo in my car trunk for those things.
>>

>Didn't it melt in the summertime? (she asks innocently...)

<THAWP!>

Mae West