Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eating sushi & sashimi with fingers

I forget which thread this morphed from, but I got interested in
Japanese table manners and North American table manners when eating
Japanese food. I asked a Japanese friend. She lives most of the time
in Japan, gets work some of the time in the U.S. and Europe, learned
English in school and speaks English fluently, if somewhat accented.

I asked her:

Is sushi or sashimi ever eaten with one's fingers in Japan? I'm not
talking about times when one's willing to make allowances for the
Western idiots. In Japan, amongst people who should know better, in
restaurants and private homes, does one always use chopsticks?

She answered:

It's OK to eat Sushi (not Sashimi) with your fingers. But I would
advise to use chopsticks. If you can't properly eat sushi with fingers,
it can turn ugly.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
>I forget which thread this morphed from, but I got interested in Japanese
>table manners and North American table manners when eating Japanese food.
>I asked a Japanese friend. She lives most of the time in Japan, gets work
>some of the time in the U.S. and Europe, learned English in school and
>speaks English fluently, if somewhat accented.
>

> I asked her:
>
> Is sushi or sashimi ever eaten with one's fingers in Japan? I'm not
> talking about times when one's willing to make allowances for the Western
> idiots. In Japan, amongst people who should know better, in restaurants
> and private homes, does one always use chopsticks?
>

> She answered:
>
> It's OK to eat Sushi (not Sashimi) with your fingers. But I would
> advise to use chopsticks. If you can't properly eat sushi with fingers,
> it can turn ugly.
>

> --Lia

So-Des-Ne

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> I forget which thread this morphed from, but I got interested in
> Japanese table manners and North American table manners when eating
> Japanese food. I asked a Japanese friend. She lives most of the time
> in Japan, gets work some of the time in the U.S. and Europe, learned
> English in school and speaks English fluently, if somewhat accented.
>

> I asked her:
>
> Is sushi or sashimi ever eaten with one's fingers in Japan? I'm not
> talking about times when one's willing to make allowances for the
> Western idiots. In Japan, amongst people who should know better, in
> restaurants and private homes, does one always use chopsticks?
>

> She answered:
>
> It's OK to eat Sushi (not Sashimi) with your fingers. But I would
> advise to use chopsticks. If you can't properly eat sushi with fingers,
> it can turn ugly.

Huh? You pick it up. You put it in your mouth. The threat level seems
pretty low to me.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
>> I forget which thread this morphed from, but I got interested in
>> Japanese table manners and North American table manners when eating
>> Japanese food. I asked a Japanese friend. She lives most of the time
>> in Japan, gets work some of the time in the U.S. and Europe, learned
>> English in school and speaks English fluently, if somewhat accented.
>>

>> I asked her:
>>
>> Is sushi or sashimi ever eaten with one's fingers in Japan? I'm not
>> talking about times when one's willing to make allowances for the
>> Western idiots. In Japan, amongst people who should know better, in
>> restaurants and private homes, does one always use chopsticks?
>>

>> She answered:
>>
>> It's OK to eat Sushi (not Sashimi) with your fingers. But I would
>> advise to use chopsticks. If you can't properly eat sushi with fingers,
>> it can turn ugly.
>>

>> --Lia

> So-Des-Ne

Why the hyphens? And it's spelled "desu" IIRC.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> I forget which thread this morphed from, but I got interested in
> Japanese table manners and North American table manners when eating
> Japanese food. I asked a Japanese friend. She lives most of the time
> in Japan, gets work some of the time in the U.S. and Europe, learned
> English in school and speaks English fluently, if somewhat accented.
>

> I asked her:
>
> Is sushi or sashimi ever eaten with one's fingers in Japan? I'm not
> talking about times when one's willing to make allowances for the
> Western idiots. In Japan, amongst people who should know better, in
> restaurants and private homes, does one always use chopsticks?
>

> She answered:
>
> It's OK to eat Sushi (not Sashimi) with your fingers. But I would
> advise to use chopsticks. If you can't properly eat sushi with fingers,
> it can turn ugly.
>

> --Lia

Thanks for that useful input!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> I forget which thread this morphed from, but I got interested in
> Japanese table manners and North American table manners when eating
> Japanese food. I asked a Japanese friend. She lives most of the time
> in Japan, gets work some of the time in the U.S. and Europe, learned
> English in school and speaks English fluently, if somewhat accented.
>

> I asked her:
>
> Is sushi or sashimi ever eaten with one's fingers in Japan? I'm not
> talking about times when one's willing to make allowances for the
> Western idiots. In Japan, amongst people who should know better, in
> restaurants and private homes, does one always use chopsticks?
>

> She answered:
>
> It's OK to eat Sushi (not Sashimi) with your fingers. But I would
> advise to use chopsticks. If you can't properly eat sushi with fingers,
> it can turn ugly.
>

> --Lia

Maybe something got lost in the translation? I have been to Japan
numerous times and it not uncommon and not considered bad form to eat
sushi with your fingers. I think her comment might be more in the
direction of if you are not skilled with hashi then you can make a real
mess trying to eat sushi with them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:

>> So-Des-Ne
>>

> Why the hyphens? And it's spelled "desu" IIRC.

Gesundheit!

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 2, 9:52*am, George > wrote:

> Maybe something got lost in the translation? I have been to Japan
> numerous times and it not uncommon and not considered bad form to eat
> sushi with your fingers. I think her comment might be more in the
> direction of if you are not skilled with hashi then you can make a real
> mess trying to eat sushi with them

I can see it getting ugly when using your fingers, too. Suppose you
bite a piece in half, do an incomplete job of it, and end up having to
go through additional adjustments to separate the piece that's in your
mouth from what's in your fingers. Could get messy and more
unattractive than the equivalent situation when using chopsticks. -
aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
On Aug 2, 9:52 am, George > wrote:

> Maybe something got lost in the translation? I have been to Japan
> numerous times and it not uncommon and not considered bad form to eat
> sushi with your fingers. I think her comment might be more in the
> direction of if you are not skilled with hashi then you can make a real
> mess trying to eat sushi with them

>I can see it getting ugly when using your fingers, too. Suppose you
>bite a piece in half, do an incomplete job of it, and end up having to
>go through additional adjustments to separate the piece that's in your
>mouth from what's in your fingers. Could get messy and more
>unattractive than the equivalent situation when using chopsticks. -
>aem

Also, how do you get the pickled ginger, wasabi, and soy sauce on it if you
don't use chopsticks?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dejablues wrote:

> "aem" > wrote in message
> On Aug 2, 9:52 am, George > wrote:
>>
>> Maybe something got lost in the translation? I have been to Japan
>> numerous times and it not uncommon and not considered bad form to eat
>> sushi with your fingers. I think her comment might be more in the
>> direction of if you are not skilled with hashi then you can make a real
>> mess trying to eat sushi with them

>>I can see it getting ugly when using your fingers, too. Suppose you
>>bite a piece in half, do an incomplete job of it, and end up having to
>>go through additional adjustments to separate the piece that's in your
>>mouth from what's in your fingers. Could get messy and more
>>unattractive than the equivalent situation when using chopsticks. -
>>aem

> Also, how do you get the pickled ginger, wasabi, and soy sauce on it if you
> don't use chopsticks?

The same way you get dip on your potato chip without chopsticks.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

dejablues wrote:

> Also, how do you get the pickled ginger, wasabi, and soy sauce on it if you
> don't use chopsticks?

My experience with sushi is that ginger is just for cleansing the palate
between pieces. You don't mix it with the piece of sushi or sashimi you
are eating, so I suppose chopsticks are fine for the ginger. I don't do
wasabi, but it probably is used the same as the soy in that you never
soak the sushi with either. A simple, light dipping, which is easily
achieved with fingers.

Sashimi is never supposed to be eaten with the fingers.

--Lin (love, love, love sushi!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> "Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
>>> I forget which thread this morphed from, but I got interested in
>>> Japanese table manners and North American table manners when eating
>>> Japanese food. I asked a Japanese friend. She lives most of the time in
>>> Japan, gets work some of the time in the U.S. and Europe, learned
>>> English in school and speaks English fluently, if somewhat accented.
>>>

>>> I asked her:
>>>
>>> Is sushi or sashimi ever eaten with one's fingers in Japan? I'm not
>>> talking about times when one's willing to make allowances for the
>>> Western idiots. In Japan, amongst people who should know better, in
>>> restaurants and private homes, does one always use chopsticks?
>>>

>>> She answered:
>>>
>>> It's OK to eat Sushi (not Sashimi) with your fingers. But I would
>>> advise to use chopsticks. If you can't properly eat sushi with fingers,
>>> it can turn ugly.
>>>

>>> --Lia

>> So-Des-Ne
>>

> Why the hyphens? And it's spelled "desu" IIRC.
>
> --
> Jean B.

IIRC the U is for the most part silent or swallowed depending on how you are
using the verb.

Hyphens just to separate the 3 different words not really necessary.

BTW the phrase translated roughly is - That's true isn't it!

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> "Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
>>> I forget which thread this morphed from, but I got interested in
>>> Japanese table manners and North American table manners when eating
>>> Japanese food. I asked a Japanese friend. She lives most of the time in
>>> Japan, gets work some of the time in the U.S. and Europe, learned
>>> English in school and speaks English fluently, if somewhat accented.
>>>

>>> I asked her:
>>>
>>> Is sushi or sashimi ever eaten with one's fingers in Japan? I'm not
>>> talking about times when one's willing to make allowances for the
>>> Western idiots. In Japan, amongst people who should know better, in
>>> restaurants and private homes, does one always use chopsticks?
>>>

>>> She answered:
>>>
>>> It's OK to eat Sushi (not Sashimi) with your fingers. But I would
>>> advise to use chopsticks. If you can't properly eat sushi with fingers,
>>> it can turn ugly.
>>>

>>> --Lia

>> So-Des-Ne
>>

> Why the hyphens? And it's spelled "desu" IIRC.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Sorry one more point;

Look here at the pronunciation.

http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/...rase_basic.htm

:-)

I either worked with or for Japanese companies since 1982 or so.

I tried not to let on how much I did understand. (advantageous)

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> I forget which thread this morphed from, but I got interested in
> Japanese table manners and North American table manners when eating
> Japanese food. I asked a Japanese friend. She lives most of the time
> in Japan, gets work some of the time in the U.S. and Europe, learned
> English in school and speaks English fluently, if somewhat accented.
>

> I asked her:
>
> Is sushi or sashimi ever eaten with one's fingers in Japan? I'm not
> talking about times when one's willing to make allowances for the
> Western idiots. In Japan, amongst people who should know better, in
> restaurants and private homes, does one always use chopsticks?
>

> She answered:
>
> It's OK to eat Sushi (not Sashimi) with your fingers. But I would
> advise to use chopsticks. If you can't properly eat sushi with fingers,
> it can turn ugly.
>

> --Lia

I think it proper to use chopsticks but would have no problem using the
fingers depending on the configuration of the piece. There's no doubt
that sometime during a meal I'll use my fingers at least a couple of
times. The problem is that most folks aren't that great at using hashi.
If you're seated before a plate of sushi, use your fingers if you have
to, please don't ever use a fork... that thought gives me the shivers!

Japanese folk will shove the whole piece into their mouth. Here I must
break protocol as I don't feel right about doing this and I'll always
bite the piece right in middle which, I'll admit sometimes causes other
problems. The Japanese would probably think I'm a wimp. :-)

It's said the Japanese will invert the piece to place the fish topping
onto the tongue - maybe they do. I don't know about that. However, on my
little place on earth, this is impractical because we have pesky
gravity. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Dimitri wrote:

>>> So-Des-Ne
>>>

>> Why the hyphens? And it's spelled "desu" IIRC.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> IIRC the U is for the most part silent or swallowed depending on how you
> are using the verb.
>
> Hyphens just to separate the 3 different words not really necessary.
>
> BTW the phrase translated roughly is - That's true isn't it!

Yes, that u is not pronounced. Nonetheless, it is spelled that way.

I agree with the rough translation....

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Dimitri wrote:

>>> So-Des-Ne
>>>

>> Why the hyphens? And it's spelled "desu" IIRC.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Sorry one more point;
>
> Look here at the pronunciation.
>
> http://www.japaneselifestyle.com.au/...rase_basic.htm
>

> :-)
>
> I either worked with or for Japanese companies since 1982 or so.
>
> I tried not to let on how much I did understand. (advantageous)

Hehe. I have forgotten almost all the Japanese I ever learned.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message

<snip>

#1 business rule - learn to count in increments of 10,000

as example

Ni Ju Man 2 x 10 = 20 x 10,000 or 200,000

takes a while and a bit of practice along with Hi does not mean yes it can
mean much much more.

:-)

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dejablues wrote:

> Also, how do you get the pickled ginger, wasabi, and soy sauce on it if you
> don't use chopsticks?

You put some of the soy sauce and wasabi on your plate. You pick up the
sushi with the chopsticks and gently dip it in the soy sauce puddle. You
take up a bit of wasabi with the chop sticks and dab it on the sushi.
Then you pick up the whole thing with the chop sticks and eat it.

The ginger is not supposed to be eaten with the sushi. It is eaten
between servings of sushi as a palate cleanser.

I believe it is acceptable to eat "hand rolls" with one's fingers.
Sashimi is never eaten with fingers.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 14:46:12 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Then you pick up the whole thing with the chop sticks and eat it.

You must have a really big mouth! I've yet to come across a one bite
roll.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 14:46:12 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> Then you pick up the whole thing with the chop sticks and eat it.

> You must have a really big mouth! I've yet to come across a one bite
> roll.

I take several bites, but the Japanese eat it in one bite.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dejablues wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
> On Aug 2, 9:52 am, George > wrote:
>> Maybe something got lost in the translation? I have been to Japan
>> numerous times and it not uncommon and not considered bad form to eat
>> sushi with your fingers. I think her comment might be more in the
>> direction of if you are not skilled with hashi then you can make a real
>> mess trying to eat sushi with them

>> I can see it getting ugly when using your fingers, too. Suppose you
>> bite a piece in half, do an incomplete job of it, and end up having to
>> go through additional adjustments to separate the piece that's in your
>> mouth from what's in your fingers. Could get messy and more
>> unattractive than the equivalent situation when using chopsticks. -
>> aem

> Also, how do you get the pickled ginger, wasabi, and soy sauce on it if you
> don't use chopsticks?

Typically hashi are always available and even if you would eat the sushi
with your fingers you would use them to pick up the gari and transfer
the wasabi to the little dish to mix it with soy sauce. The gari is used
to clear your palate and not typically placed on the sushi. There is
nothing wrong or unusual with holding the sushi in your fingers and
dipping it in the wasabi/soy and then eating it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky responded to Lia's quoting her friend:

>> It's OK to eat Sushi (not Sashimi) with your fingers. But I would
>> advise to use chopsticks. If you can't properly eat sushi with fingers,
>> it can turn ugly.

> Huh? You pick it up. You put it in your mouth. The threat level seems
> pretty low to me.

Note that Lia's friend said "If you *can't* properly eat sushi with
fingers". To me, that implies that the diner is somehow too uncoordinated to
pick up the sushi and eat it. It seems to me that if someone is so spastic,
then eating with chopsticks might be perilous indeed. Especially
stainless-steel chopsticks.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Blinky responded to Lia's quoting her friend:
>
>>> It's OK to eat Sushi (not Sashimi) with your fingers. But I would
>>> advise to use chopsticks. If you can't properly eat sushi with fingers,
>>> it can turn ugly.

>> Huh? You pick it up. You put it in your mouth. The threat level seems
>> pretty low to me.

> Note that Lia's friend said "If you *can't* properly eat sushi with
> fingers". To me, that implies that the diner is somehow too uncoordinated to
> pick up the sushi and eat it. It seems to me that if someone is so spastic,
> then eating with chopsticks might be perilous indeed. Especially
> stainless-steel chopsticks.

Indeed. Sounds dangerous, and I don't want to be sitting nearby!

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:06:12 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 14:46:12 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Then you pick up the whole thing with the chop sticks and eat it.

>> You must have a really big mouth! I've yet to come across a one bite
>> roll.
>>

>I take several bites, but the Japanese eat it in one bite.

I've tried the one bite method, but it gags me. I don't understand
how they can chew so much food all at once!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 17:08:54 -0400, George >
wrote:

>Typically hashi are always available and even if you would eat the sushi
>with your fingers you would use them to pick up the gari and transfer
>the wasabi to the little dish to mix it with soy sauce. The gari is used
>to clear your palate and not typically placed on the sushi. There is
>nothing wrong or unusual with holding the sushi in your fingers and
>dipping it in the wasabi/soy and then eating it.

Please speak English. Hashi isn't something you smoke and gari isn't
a way to strangle.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> It's OK to eat Sushi (not Sashimi) with your fingers. But I would
> advise to use chopsticks. If you can't properly eat sushi with fingers,
> it can turn ugly.

Nonsense. It is the other way around. If you cannot properly eat sushi
with fingers, it would most certainly turn really ugly with chopsticks.

Here is what I posted more than a year ago: "...traditionally, sushi
have always been picked up with fingers. Using chopsticks is usual,
too, but is a relatively new-fangled custom."
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/5e56fe21486bf22c>.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking,houston.eats

Default "Ms. Connie Wong + Miyako Memories" [WAS: Eating sushi & sashimi with fingers

[x-posted to houston.eats]

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 22:54:09 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:06:12 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > > wrote:

> >>I take several bites, but the Japanese eat it in one bite.

> > I've tried the one bite method, but it gags me. I don't understand
> > how they can chew so much food all at once!

> me either. or a piece of sushi.

Reminds me of a famous "incident" from years ago on houston.eats. "Sheryl"
was a high - strung bitch poster on rec.travel.air and houston eats (of
course she was a nemesis of mine...). She posted this, which became fodder
for much trollerizing by myself and other of her detractors; in checking the
archives I find that I even x - posted it here, some of you kids might
remember it. In any case I felt so sorry for poor Ms. Connie Wong! Hope
Miyako is doing a THRIVING business, lol :

Here's the thread; after this message I've included her original letter to
Miyako Sushi in Houston TX. You can google "Sheryl", "Connie Wong", or
"Miyako" on rec.travel.air or houston.eats and get all sortsa nonsense
(includng my own, natch):

http://groups.google.com/group/houst...ded428a374e266

From: Sheryl >
Subject: Miyako--My Lunch Today
Date: 2000/03/23

Newsgroups: houston.eats

"Just curious if you've been to Miyako in the past few days since you
made this post. If you have, did you mention anything about my
experience? Response?

Earlier this evening I received a phone call from Connie Wong, the lady
to whom my letter was addressed. This is the first contact I have
received since sending my letter one month ago. She stated that she
received my letter and discussed it with John, the owner. They are
reviewing the policy. No apology was offered until well into the
conversation.

I asked her why the policy was in place and her response was that the
appearance is different. I asked her what difference it made as to the
appearance if that's what the customer requested. She talked around
that and never really gave me an answer. I told her that ability to eat
my food without my mouth being totally full was far more important than
the food's appearance, and frankly there is no difference in the
appearance.

I stressed to her how offended I was at the way it was handled and she
said that the new manager was doing her job. I then discussed the
customer service issue and she just offered lip talk. I then told her
that actions speak far louder than words. I also told her that in the
month since this incident, I have been taking special notice at the
customer service I have received at numerous restaurants. I offered
several examples of experiences I've had at restaurants where they
didn't know me from Adam (unlike at Miyako where everyone knows me) and
that in at least 3 instances, I was provided with extremely nice service
and provided with things I never even asked for. One such example was
at La Vista. I placed a takeout order a couple weeks ago. My entree
came with a salad that I knew I would not care for. I told them that I
didn't want the salad included and that I would like to order a caesar
salad. I did not ask for nor did I expect to receive the caesar salad
as a substitution for the salad that was included on the menu. Further,
I asked for extra potatoes and at the same time I said to please charge
me whatever they felt was appropriate. When I was given the check,
there was no charge for either the caesar salad nor the extra potatoes.
I told the order taker that there was a mistake and to please charge me
for the additional items. The manager was standing right there and
said, "there's no charge." I couldn't believe it. I told him I wanted
to pay for those items but he insisted that I pay only for the entree.
I relayed this story to Connie Wong.

So anyway, after a lot of getting nowhere, she again said they were
reviewing the policy and asked what they could do to win back my
business. I told her, at a minimum, that I would like a letter of
apology from the owner as to how I was treated as the owner is who I
wanted to write to in the first place. I wanted to be assured that
there would be no additional charge for cutting a custom order in 8
pieces instead of the standard 6 pieces and that I would like a
complimentary meal to compensate for the ruined lunch I had last month.

She said she would relay my request to the owner and would send me a $25
gift certificate. She then asked if I would return. I told her that I
was not satisfied with only the gift certificate. I wanted an apology
from the owner and the assurance that this would not happen again..."

</>

Sheryl Mexic's original letter to Miyako Sushi:

:As I've commented on houston.eats several times in the past, I'm a
regular at lunchtime at Miyako on Kirby. Looks like today was my last
visit. I'll let my letter to Ms. Connie Wong explain. I got Ms. Wong's
name when I called the Westheimer location asking for the name and
address of Miyako's owner, who I know by sight from various times he's
been in the particular Miyako location where I was eating at the time.
Whenever he sees me, he always acknowledges me. Unfortunately, I was
told that Ms. Wong is in charge of all the restaurants and that I should
write to her. The nature of my request was known since I was forthright
from the beginning of the phone call. I immediately identified myself
by name and said I had a bad experience at the Kirby location earlier
today and I wanted to inform the owner about it.

Ms. Connie Wong
Miyako Restaurant
6345 Westheimer
Houston, TX 77057

Dear Ms. Wong:

My lunch hour today was an experience I hope to forget, as it was quite
unpleasant. Some background is in order, so first, I want you to know
that my first time ever eating sushi was at Miyako on Westheimer in
1985. I've been hooked on sushi ever since, regularly having dinner at
the Miyako on Westheimer, the Little Miyako that was located in the
Village about 10 years or so ago, and then when that location closed,
the Kirby location. In the mid-1990s when the downtown location opened,
I began having lunch there at least once per week, every single week,
until I began working in Greenway Plaza in January 1998. Since that
time, until today, I've had lunch at the Kirby location at least once
per week, every single week. So a reasonable estimation would be that
I've eaten at Miyako more than 500 times in the past 15 years.

I arrived at the Kirby location at 11:35 a.m. today and took my usual
seat at the sushi bar. Being that today was a federal holiday and many
offices were closed, there were only two others at the sushi bar, and
over the next 10 minutes, a total of about 5 tables were occupied.
Still, just the one couple and me at the sushi bar. In other words, not
very busy.

Among other sushi items, I ordered the Miyako Special maki. As I always
do when ordering the Miyako Special maki, I asked that it be cut into 8
pieces, rather than the usual 6 pieces, because when cut into 6 pieces,
a single piece is too large for me to eat without biting into it, and
then it completely falls apart. About three minutes after taking my
order, the waitress returned to say that I would be charged $1 for
cutting the maki into 8 pieces instead of 6 pieces. I looked her
straight in the face and told her that I was highly insulted by that
comment and told her of my frequency of visits to Miyako. She told me
that it was the manager's decision to charge me $1. I asked to speak
with the manager. The manager, who I recall previously as a waitress,
came from the kitchen area with a very sour look on her face. I then
reiterated to the manager what I told the waitress of how insulting the
idea of charging me $1 to make two slices with a knife. I also reminded
her of my very frequent visits to Miyako, which I knew she already knew,
because every single employee who works outside the kitchen knows me by
my frequent visits.

She told me that mine was a special request and there would be a $1
charge. I then told her that I guessed she had no idea what the notion
of customer service was and that she had two choices. She could either
charge me $1 for her employee to make 8 slices instead of 6 slices and I
would never again set foot in Miyako, or she could change her mind and I
would remain a customer. She stated once again that there would be a $1
charge. I then turned around, picked up my magazine and walked out of
the restaurant. Mind you, I had ordered a Coke which had already been
served to me and which I had partially consumed. I did not pay for it
nor was I followed and asked to pay for it.

I am truly saddened to have to make the decision to no longer have lunch
at a restaurant that I so much enjoy at least once per week. But then,
it's a sad day when $1 is more important than the loyalty I've shown
Miyako over 15 years and thousands of dollars.

/s/

P.S. As a final comment, I thought I'd offer that sometimes I order the
daily special, even when there is a piece of sushi that I do not care
for, typically squid. Whenever squid is on the daily special, I tell
the sushi chef he can just leave it off my plate, something I consider
to be quite thoughtful. Miyako can re-sell it to someone else, charging
the normal per piece price, and I've not wasted any food."

END OF LETTER

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking,houston.eats

On 8/3/08 12:37 PM, in article
, "Gregory Morrow"

http://groups.google.com/group/houst.../ad67c11709c3b
> [...]
> served to me and which I had partially consumed. I did not pay for it
> nor was I followed and asked to pay for it.
>
> I am truly saddened to have to make the decision to no longer have lunch
> at a restaurant that I so much enjoy at least once per week. But then,
> it's a sad day when $1 is more important than the loyalty I've shown
> Miyako over 15 years and thousands of dollars.
>
> /s/
>
> P.S. As a final comment, I thought I'd offer that sometimes I order the
> daily special, even when there is a piece of sushi that I do not care
> for, typically squid. Whenever squid is on the daily special, I tell
> the sushi chef he can just leave it off my plate, something I consider
> to be quite thoughtful. Miyako can re-sell it to someone else, charging
> the normal per piece price, and I've not wasted any food."

Had to be a blonde...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,houston.eats

George Kerby wrote:

> On 8/3/08 12:37 PM, in article
> , "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>

> > [x-posted to houston.eats]
> >
> > blake murphy wrote:

bite

> >> me either. or a piece of sushi.

> > Reminds me of a famous "incident" from years ago on houston.eats.

"Sheryl"
> > was a high - strung bitch poster on rec.travel.air and houston eats (of
> > course she was a nemesis of mine...). She posted this, which became

fodder
> > for much trollerizing by myself and other of her detractors; in checking

the
> > archives I find that I even x - posted it here, some of you kids might
> > remember it. In any case I felt so sorry for poor Ms. Connie Wong! Hope
> > Miyako is doing a THRIVING business, lol :
> >
> > Here's the thread; after this message I've included her original letter

> > Miyako Sushi in Houston TX. You can google "Sheryl", "Connie Wong", or
> > "Miyako" on rec.travel.air or houston.eats and get all sortsa nonsense
> > (includng my own, natch):

http://groups.google.com/group/houst.../ad67c11709c3b
> > e75/97ded428a374e266?lnk=st&q=#97ded428a374e266
> >
> > From: Sheryl >
> > Subject: Miyako--My Lunch Today
> > Date: 2000/03/23

19:38:08
> [...]
> > served to me and which I had partially consumed. I did not pay for it
> > nor was I followed and asked to pay for it.
> >
> > I am truly saddened to have to make the decision to no longer have lunch
> > at a restaurant that I so much enjoy at least once per week. But then,
> > it's a sad day when $1 is more important than the loyalty I've shown
> > Miyako over 15 years and thousands of dollars.
> >
> > /s/
> >
> > P.S. As a final comment, I thought I'd offer that sometimes I order the
> > daily special, even when there is a piece of sushi that I do not care
> > for, typically squid. Whenever squid is on the daily special, I tell
> > the sushi chef he can just leave it off my plate, something I consider
> > to be quite thoughtful. Miyako can re-sell it to someone else, charging
> > the normal per piece price, and I've not wasted any food."

Nope, a brunette. Here's her ugli mug, it proves that there IS a god, lol:

http://www.johnnyjet.com/folder/repo...TravelQ&A.html

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking,houston.eats

George Kerby > wrote:

> Had to be a blonde...

I blonde wouldn't be stupid enough to quote 22 lines just to add 5
14 meaningless letters.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking,houston.eats

Sqwertz > wrote:

> George Kerby > wrote:
>
>> Had to be a blonde...

> I blonde wouldn't be stupid enough to quote 22 lines just to add 5
> 14 meaningless letters.

Try that again:

A blonde wouldn't ... quote *222* lines.

But, it's been rumored that dumb George is even dumber than the
dumbest of the blondes.

ObFood: Lunch was chow fun with chicken, garlic chives, Chinese
celery, shitake mushrooms, napa cabbage, oyster sauce, sambal
belecan, rice wine, chicken stock. Duck cracklins and cilantro for
edible garnish. Pictures in alt.binaries.food later.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking,houston.eats

On 8/3/08 1:39 PM, in article
, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

> George Kerby wrote:
>
>> On 8/3/08 12:37 PM, in article

, "Gregory Morrow"
> [...]

>>> at a restaurant that I so much enjoy at least once per week. But then,
>>> it's a sad day when $1 is more important than the loyalty I've shown
>>> Miyako over 15 years and thousands of dollars.
>>>
>>> /s/
>>>
>>> P.S. As a final comment, I thought I'd offer that sometimes I order the
>>> daily special, even when there is a piece of sushi that I do not care
>>> for, typically squid. Whenever squid is on the daily special, I tell
>>> the sushi chef he can just leave it off my plate, something I consider
>>> to be quite thoughtful. Miyako can re-sell it to someone else, charging
>>> the normal per piece price, and I've not wasted any food."
>>>

>>> END OF LETTER
>>>
>>> </>
>>>

>> Had to be a blonde...

> Nope, a brunette. Here's her ugli mug, it proves that there IS a god, lol:

Holy CRAP! That'd stop a DIGITAL clock. No wonder Ms. Wong banished her. She
was running off the good customers. Federal holiday - my ass!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,houston.eats

On 8/3/08 1:39 PM, in article ,
"Sqwertz" > wrote:

> George Kerby > wrote:
>
>> Had to be a blonde...

> I blonde wouldn't be stupid enough to quote 22 lines just to add 5
> 14 meaningless letters.
>
> -sw

WTF???? Been off the Lithium for long, dumbass?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,houston.eats

jeremy > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> I blonde wouldn't be stupid enough to quote 22 lines just to add 5
>>> 14 meaningless letters.

>> Try that again:

> Or X post to houston eats where the idiot has been kill-filed for so long I
> had forgotten he existed and have since changed computers.

They don't have chow fun in Houston?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 13:39:25 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>George Kerby wrote:
>

>> Had to be a blonde...

>Nope, a brunette. Here's her ugli mug, it proves that there IS a god, lol:
>
>http://www.johnnyjet.com/folder/repo...TravelQ&A.html

Is this poster also known as Sheryl Rosen or does that spelling of the
name just attract kooks?

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking,houston.eats

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 12:37:34 -0500, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> [x-posted to houston.eats]
>
> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 22:54:09 -0700, sf wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:06:12 -0500, Janet Wilder

>>> I've tried the one bite method, but it gags me. I don't understand
>>> how they can chew so much food all at once!

>> me either. or a piece of sushi.

> Reminds me of a famous "incident" from years ago on houston.eats. "Sheryl"
> was a high - strung bitch poster on rec.travel.air and houston eats (of
> course she was a nemesis of mine...). She posted this, which became fodder
> for much trollerizing by myself and other of her detractors; in checking the
> archives I find that I even x - posted it here, some of you kids might
> remember it. In any case I felt so sorry for poor Ms. Connie Wong! Hope
> Miyako is doing a THRIVING business, lol :
>
> Here's the thread; after this message I've included her original letter to
> Miyako Sushi in Houston TX. You can google "Sheryl", "Connie Wong", or
> "Miyako" on rec.travel.air or houston.eats and get all sortsa nonsense
> (includng my own, natch):

she got that jacked out of shape over a dollar? sounds like a prize bitch.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 13:23:23 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 13:39:25 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>

>>George Kerby wrote:
>>

>>> Had to be a blonde...

>>Nope, a brunette. Here's her ugli mug, it proves that there IS a god, lol:
>>
>>http://www.johnnyjet.com/folder/repo...TravelQ&A.html

> Is this poster also known as Sheryl Rosen or does that spelling of the
> name just attract kooks?

i thought of our own miz rosen myself. ah, the good old days!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking,houston.eats

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 13:39:43 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> George Kerby > wrote:
>
>> Had to be a blonde...

> I blonde wouldn't be stupid enough to quote 22 lines just to add 5
> 14 meaningless letters.
>
> -sw

there is that.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 13:39:25 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
>> George Kerby wrote:
>>

>>> Had to be a blonde...

>> Nope, a brunette. Here's her ugli mug, it proves that there IS a god, lol:
>>
>> http://www.johnnyjet.com/folder/repo...TravelQ&A.html

> Is this poster also known as Sheryl Rosen or does that spelling of the
> name just attract kooks?

This is Sheryl Mexic. She is in the travel business and so are we. She
is a personable, statuesque woman who is at least 6' tall. She strikes
me as a strong, powerful woman and some people are intimidated by that.
Sheryl introduced me to sushi about 13 years ago at Cafe Japon in
Houston. She founded BillingForTravel. http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/

Here is a photo of Sheryl:
http://www.johnnyjet.com/folder/repo...TravelQ&A.html

They mention Sheryl in this article:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/...in235038.shtml

For reasons unknown, there are a few of people who enjoy chatting about
Sheryl.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.travel.air

[posted to rec.travel.air for "auld lange synge"...she was a "regular on
that group back in the "day"...]

Becca wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 13:39:25 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> > > wrote:

> >> Nope, a brunette. Here's her ugli mug, it proves that there IS a god,

lol:

http://www.johnnyjet.com/folder/repo...TravelQ&A.html

> > Is this poster also known as Sheryl Rosen or does that spelling of the
> > name just attract kooks?

> This is Sheryl Mexic. She is in the travel business and so are we. She
> is a personable, statuesque woman who is at least 6' tall. She strikes
> me as a strong, powerful woman and some people are intimidated by that.

Which I guess is why there is a FIVE year - long thread about her and her
shady business "practices" on the Flyertalk site, eh? :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301930

Here's another long thread about her, entitled "Sheryl Announces Her Return
to Bidding For Travel":

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819333

Coupla comments in the thread:

- "Should I phone up Connie Wong at Miyako and have some Sushi delivered??

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...057ef307e346da .."

- "Maybe Sheryl has been reading How to Win Friends and Influence People by
Dale Carnegie during her time off..."

I- " remember having run ins with Sheryl back in the mid 1990s all the way
through 98 or 99 on the ole rec.alt.travel usenet group.

She was a b**** then I am sure without a doubt, a b**** now..."

> Sheryl introduced me to sushi about 13 years ago at Cafe Japon in
> Houston.

Did she make you pay the extra buck to have the sushi roll cut into eight
pieces instead of six so's she could stick into her mouth...???

>She founded BillingForTravel. http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/

Here's a better travel bidding site. It's run by nice, caring folks who
don't have a list of posting "rules" that runs LONGER than the US
Constitution WITH all the amendments:

http://www.betterbidding.com/

Interestingly, when _Consumer Reports_ several years back ran an article on
travel bidding sites Better Bidding was mentioned, Sheryl Mexic's Bidding
For Travel site was IIRC *not* mentioned. Kinda "odd" - or maybe they saw
through Miss Mexic's disengenuous tomfoolery.

> Here is a photo of Sheryl:
> http://www.johnnyjet.com/folder/repo...TravelQ&A.html
>
> They mention Sheryl in this article:
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/...in235038.shtml

When I saw this I thought, "Fat white women shouldn't wear sleeveless
ensembles on television..."

> For reasons unknown, there are a few of people who enjoy chatting about
> Sheryl.

The reasons are not "unknown", it's just that she's a bi - polar be - yotch
with an extreme case of Narcisstic Personality Disorder. And the *fact*
that she's been caught telling lies and engaging in shady businesses
"practices" is simply lagniappe...

You might say that such a person sets themselves up as a "Perfect Storm" for
online "controversy"...

Or you might simply call her the "Soup Nazi" of online travel bidding
advice...

:-)

--
Best