Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The incredible shrinking Doritos bag

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...oritosBag.aspx

Be sure to see the slide show at the bottom.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Dimitri wrote:

> http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...oritosBag.aspx
>
> Be sure to see the slide show at the bottom.
>
> --
> Old Scoundrel
>
> (AKA Dimitri)

Since when is this new news??? Nearly every product on the market (as
someone (sw?) says, the stupidmarket!) has increased prices while their
products' contents quantities (weights/volumes/whatever) have
significantly decreased! Just another example of means to increase
profits at the bottom line.

sky, who's no economist!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...oritosBag.aspx
>
> Be sure to see the slide show at the bottom.

i went to the local ralph's grocery store (division of kroger) here in
socal this afternoon; and because it has been very, very hot and
smoggy here in the east end of the san gabriel valley, i was looking
at the ice cream boxes. remember when a half-gallon of ice cream was
1/2 gallon? then it went to 1 3/4 quarts. it is now 1 1/2 quarts and
on sale at 2/$6.00! i ended up buying one 1/2 gallon (yeah, it's
still 1/2 gallon) of orange sherbet. the low end ice cream is still 1
3/4 quarts, and was going for 2/$4.00.

harriet & critter (j j the world famous jack russell terrior who is
sleeping under the bed. ms pk went to rainbow bridge on tuesday at
age 14)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

mequeenbe.nospam wrote:
> harriet & critter (j j the world famous jack russell terrior who is
> sleeping under the bed. ms pk went to rainbow bridge on tuesday at
> age 14)

I'm so sorry. I hope she went easily.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 01 Aug 2008 07:02:09p, mequeenbe.nospam told us...

> Dimitri wrote:
>> http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...s/TheIncredibl
>> eShrinkingDoritosBag.aspx
>>
>> Be sure to see the slide show at the bottom.
>>

> i went to the local ralph's grocery store (division of kroger) here in
> socal this afternoon; and because it has been very, very hot and
> smoggy here in the east end of the san gabriel valley, i was looking
> at the ice cream boxes. remember when a half-gallon of ice cream was
> 1/2 gallon? then it went to 1 3/4 quarts. it is now 1 1/2 quarts and
> on sale at 2/$6.00! i ended up buying one 1/2 gallon (yeah, it's
> still 1/2 gallon) of orange sherbet. the low end ice cream is still 1
> 3/4 quarts, and was going for 2/$4.00.
>
> harriet & critter (j j the world famous jack russell terrior who is
> sleeping under the bed. ms pk went to rainbow bridge on tuesday at
> age 14)

Oh, Harriet, I'm so sorry for your loss. But I know that she had a
wonderful life with you, and you'll have a lifetime of good memories.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 08(VIII)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
> >
> > http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...eIncredibleShr
> > inkingDoritosBag.aspx
> >
> > Be sure to see the slide show at the bottom.
> >
> > --
> > Old Scoundrel
> >
> > (AKA Dimitri)

> Since when is this new news??? Nearly every product on the market (as
> someone (sw?) says, the stupidmarket!) has increased prices while their
> products' contents quantities (weights/volumes/whatever) have
> significantly decreased! Just another example of means to increase
> profits at the bottom line.

Right. Food manufacturers have been doing this kind of thing for many
years. They really have no choice. Just as our costs continue to go up
just to live day-to-day, the costs to produce the food we eat also goes
up. Food companies have two choices in dealing with the rising cost of
producing the food we eat: they can either raise prices or reduce
package size.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:
> mequeenbe.nospam wrote:
>> harriet & critter (j j the world famous jack russell terrior who is
>> sleeping under the bed. ms pk went to rainbow bridge on tuesday at
>> age 14)

> I'm so sorry. I hope she went easily.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, harriet. That's tough to take.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

mequeenbe.nospam > wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
> > http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...oritosBag.aspx
> >
> > Be sure to see the slide show at the bottom.
> >

> harriet & critter (j j the world famous jack russell terrior who is
> sleeping under the bed. ms pk went to rainbow bridge on tuesday at
> age 14)

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose a furred friend

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mequeenbe.nospam wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
>> http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...oritosBag.aspx
>>
>> Be sure to see the slide show at the bottom.
>>

> i went to the local ralph's grocery store (division of kroger) here in
> socal this afternoon; and because it has been very, very hot and
> smoggy here in the east end of the san gabriel valley, i was looking
> at the ice cream boxes. remember when a half-gallon of ice cream was
> 1/2 gallon? then it went to 1 3/4 quarts. it is now 1 1/2 quarts and
> on sale at 2/$6.00! i ended up buying one 1/2 gallon (yeah, it's
> still 1/2 gallon) of orange sherbet. the low end ice cream is still 1
> 3/4 quarts, and was going for 2/$4.00.
>
> harriet & critter (j j the world famous jack russell terrior who is
> sleeping under the bed. ms pk went to rainbow bridge on tuesday at
> age 14)

I was gonna say... I was in the store recently and happened to
see an ice cream container. It was noticeably small.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> mequeenbe.nospam > wrote:
>> Dimitri wrote:
>> >

>> http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...oritosBag.aspx
>>

>> > Be sure to see the slide show at the bottom.
>> >

>> harriet & critter (j j the world famous jack russell terrior who is
>> sleeping under the bed. ms pk went to rainbow bridge on tuesday at
>> age 14)

> I'm very sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose a furred friend
>
> Jill

I didn't even see that. I'm sorry to hear this too.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mequeenbe.nospam wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
>> http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...oritosBag.aspx
>>
>> Be sure to see the slide show at the bottom.
>>

> i went to the local ralph's grocery store (division of kroger) here in
> socal this afternoon; and because it has been very, very hot and
> smoggy here in the east end of the san gabriel valley, i was looking
> at the ice cream boxes. remember when a half-gallon of ice cream was
> 1/2 gallon? then it went to 1 3/4 quarts. it is now 1 1/2 quarts and
> on sale at 2/$6.00! i ended up buying one 1/2 gallon (yeah, it's
> still 1/2 gallon) of orange sherbet. the low end ice cream is still 1
> 3/4 quarts, and was going for 2/$4.00.
>
> harriet & critter (j j the world famous jack russell terrior who is
> sleeping under the bed. ms pk went to rainbow bridge on tuesday at
> age 14)

So sorry about your loss. :-(

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 1, 8:59�pm, Sky > wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
>
> >http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ocus/TheIncred...

> > Be sure to see the slide show at the bottom.

> > --
> > Old Scoundrel

> > (AKA Dimitri)

> Since when is this new news??? �Nearly every product on the market (as
> someone (sw?) says, the stupidmarket!) has increased prices while their
> products' contents quantities (weights/volumes/whatever) have
> significantly decreased! �Just another example of means to increase
> profits at the bottom line.
>
> sky, who's no economist!

It's not to increase profits... businesses increase price and reduce
quantity in order to reduce losses... businesses don't like to raise
prices and reduce quantities but their operating costs rise too, and
if they cheapen the product people wont buy it. They do have a third
choice, to go out of business... companys often do rather than reach
the point where they need to declare bankruptcy. I would much rather
they simply raise prices and leave quantities alone... I can accept
prices going up, but repackaging is an attempt at manipulation that
greatly offends my sensibilities. Paying more hurts enough but
getting less too adds insult to injury.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:
> mequeenbe.nospam wrote:
> > harriet & critter (j j the world famous jack russell terrior who is
> > sleeping under the bed. ms pk went to rainbow bridge on tuesday at
> > age 14)

> I'm so sorry. I hope she went easily.

thank you all for your concern and condolences. she went very
peacefully, dr deo, who has been my vet of choice for about 25 years,
is a very compassionate person, and was very gentle with her.

harriet & critter (j j who is sleeping on one of his 3 beds in my
bedroom...his special towels in front of the closet door. the pillows
across the floor which allow him to roll under the bed at night, and
his basket filled with an old mattress pad and his stuffed football
that he uses as a pillow).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Aug 1, 8:59�pm, Sky > wrote:
>> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>>> http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ocus/TheIncred...
>>> Be sure to see the slide show at the bottom.
>>> --
>>> Old Scoundrel
>>> (AKA Dimitri)

>> Since when is this new news??? �Nearly every product on the market (as
>> someone (sw?) says, the stupidmarket!) has increased prices while their
>> products' contents quantities (weights/volumes/whatever) have
>> significantly decreased! �Just another example of means to increase
>> profits at the bottom line.
>>
>> sky, who's no economist!

> It's not to increase profits... businesses increase price and reduce
> quantity in order to reduce losses... businesses don't like to raise
> prices and reduce quantities but their operating costs rise too, and
> if they cheapen the product people wont buy it. They do have a third
> choice, to go out of business... companys often do rather than reach
> the point where they need to declare bankruptcy. I would much rather
> they simply raise prices and leave quantities alone... I can accept
> prices going up, but repackaging is an attempt at manipulation that
> greatly offends my sensibilities. Paying more hurts enough but
> getting less too adds insult to injury.

I agree. Raise the price and stop the games. In addition to
trying to trick folks, recipes sometimes call for amounts based on
package sizes. While small changes can be dealt with, they do add up.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> Since when is this new news??? Nearly every product on the market (as
> someone (sw?) says, the stupidmarket!) has increased prices while
> their products' contents quantities (weights/volumes/whatever) have
> significantly decreased! Just another example of means to increase
> profits at the bottom line.

Happens worldwide, it seems.
What about the good old 750g jar of Bertollli Provista Sugo? They have
shrinked to 600g here in Italy, where they're sold under the brand "De
Rica", probably owned by Bertolli.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 10:54:11 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> I agree. Raise the price and stop the games. In addition to
> trying to trick folks, recipes sometimes call for amounts based on
> package sizes. While small changes can be dealt with, they do add up.

not exactly your point, bet recipes calling for 'a can' of whatnot drive me
nuts. what size can, you ****ing yo-yo?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 10:54:11 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>> I agree. Raise the price and stop the games. In addition to
>> trying to trick folks, recipes sometimes call for amounts based on
>> package sizes. While small changes can be dealt with, they do add up.

> not exactly your point, bet recipes calling for 'a can' of whatnot drive me
> nuts. what size can, you ****ing yo-yo?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yup, that too!