Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you feel about black licorice

>"Myrl Jeffcoat" > wrote in message
>On Jul 30, 2:13 am, "Nexis" > wrote:
>> In my experience, some foods are a love them or hate them kind of
>> thing...no
>> wishy-washy. Black licorice is one of those things. Most of the folks in
>> my
>> family *love* black licorice. My brother and I both hate it. I go so far
>> as
>> to dislike star anise in almost anything, because it then tastes, to me,
>> like you put licorice in it. So, my question actually has 2 parts...
>> a. Do you like/love or dislike/hate black licorice?
>> b. Do you like the licorice-like flavor of other foods, like anise?
>>
>> kimberly
>>
>> --http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

>That's kind of interesting. I will go along minding my own business,
>then after a number of months (even years), I will all of a sudden
>have a craving for black licorice. This craving will generally last
>awhile. I have been told that if you are anemic you may have black
>licorice cravings - but I don't know if that is true for certain.

>I have a chicken curry stew recipe, which I toss in a few star anise.
>I like them too - but not every day!

>Myrl Jeffcoat

That bit about anemia is interesting, I'd never heard that before. I can
tell you that I've been anemic in the last few months, but I don't crave
black licorice...however, I have been craving the Australian red licorice
;-)

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"big fish" > wrote in message

> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>> In my experience, some foods are a love them or hate them kind of
>> thing...no wishy-washy. Black licorice is one of those things. Most of
>> the folks in my family *love* black licorice. My brother and I both hate
>> it. I go so far as to dislike star anise in almost anything, because it
>> then tastes, to me, like you put licorice in it. So, my question actually
>> has 2 parts...
>> a. Do you like/love or dislike/hate black licorice?
>> b. Do you like the licorice-like flavor of other foods, like anise?
>>
>> kimberly

> My husband and my dogs LOVE the Panda black licorice in a box. If my
> husband wants some licorice, he has to enjoy it while the dogs are
> outside. All they have to hear is the rattle of the box and they are
> immediately sitting right in front of him, waiting for their piece. Now,
> it has to be the Panda brand. My husband tried the Swizzler brand of black
> licorice. It was so funny to see both dogs actually spit out the Swizzler.
> They gave him on of those "WHAT IS THAT??" looks.

I've heard about the Panda brand. My mom likes licorice "all sorts" if you
know what those are. They have a variety of shapes and additional things,
like non-pareils and such. I'll have to tell her about the Panda brand of
licorice, so she can try that.

And about those dogs...with our schnauzer, Lucy, it's green beans. I don't
know what it is, but whenever I make them, she sits right under the table
during dinner. lol!

kimberly

--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Nexis wrote:
>> In my experience, some foods are a love them or hate them kind of
>> thing...no wishy-washy. Black licorice is one of those things. Most
>> of the folks in my family *love* black licorice. My brother and I
>> both hate it. I go so far as to dislike star anise in almost
>> anything, because it then tastes, to me, like you put licorice in it.
>> So, my question actually has 2 parts... a. Do you like/love or
>> dislike/hate black licorice?

> I liked it when I was a kid. I think I'll find some to see if
> I still do.
>
>> b. Do you like the licorice-like flavor of other foods, like anise?

> No, I really don't. Can't stand it. But, isn't fennel discribed as
> licorice flavored? Because I love that in sausage.
>
> nancy

Fennel is said to be (in flavor) like a mild version of anise. I had a
stir-fry that included fennel, but I didn't detect any licorice-like flavor
to it..most just the flavor of the 5 spice powder

kimberly

--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> Tracy wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Fennel looks delicious, I wanted to like it. So when a restaurant
>>> served it as a side dish, I gave it a try. ptui.
>>> Fennel seed, I guess it doesn't taste licorice-y to me.

>> Ptui. Exactly my feeling.
>>
>> And now that I think of it...I am ok with fennel seed in sausage. I
>> have also had a few types of Moroccan cookies which have fennel seeds
>> and I like those a lot. Go figure.

> I feel the same about coconut ... it's fine in some things like on a
> cake, for instance, but please, keep it off my shrimp. I do not like it
> in what I prefer to be savory dishes.
> nancy

I'm the same way with alot of things. Coconut, I feel just as you do. About
the only exception I found was a macadamia encrusted mahi mahi when we were
in Hawai'i that had small slivers of unsweetened coconut in the crust. It
was really good, and didn't taste coconutty, probably because it wasn't
sweet coconut. I feel the same about most any sweet food put into savory
dishes, with a few exceptions, like bbq sauce. But apples or raisins in my
stuffing? No, thanks. Fruit salsa on my fish? Nah, I'll pass. :-)

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Tracy wrote:
>
>> Nexis wrote:
>> > In my experience, some foods are a love them or hate them kind of
>> > thing...no wishy-washy. Black licorice is one of those things.

>> I like licorice candy (and black jellybeans!)

> I had some jelly beans the other day. I sorted out all the black ones .
> . . so I could eat them last. They're my favorite.
>

> Brian

Now, see, I'd have sorted them out too...but not for the reason you did ;-)
I always take those and the cinnamon ones out. No one here likes the black
licorice ones, but my husband will always take the cinnamon!

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

> --
> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> won't shut up.
> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Jul 30, 12:21?pm, Tracy > wrote:
> Default User wrote:
> > Tracy wrote:

> >> I like licorice candy (and black jellybeans!)

> > I had some jelly beans the other day. I sorted out all the black ones .
> > . . so I could eat them last. They're my favorite.

>> At Easter, I buy the black jelly beans only bags.....
>>
>> Tracy

>Jelly Belly sells all black all year. Another of my favorite
>confections is licorice bridge mix & licorice allsorts.

>http://www.amazon.com/Goelitz-Licori..._bxgy_gf_img_b

>http://www.amazon.com/Jaret-International-Licorice-Allsorts->5LB/dp/B0001AO9LA/ref=pd_sim_gf_2

>Sen-Sen is a licorice blend type confection that is good too.
>http://www.fffoods.com/products/sensen.html

Thanks for the link to the all sorts Sheldon! My mom loves those (they're
her favorite confection, actually), but they're not easy to find without
them being dry and hard. She'll be happy to see this.

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 02:13:54 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>In my experience, some foods are a love them or hate them kind of thing...no
>wishy-washy. Black licorice is one of those things. Most of the folks in my
>family *love* black licorice. My brother and I both hate it. I go so far as
>to dislike star anise in almost anything, because it then tastes, to me,
>like you put licorice in it. So, my question actually has 2 parts...
>a. Do you like/love or dislike/hate black licorice?
>b. Do you like the licorice-like flavor of other foods, like anise?

I hate licorice and aniseed with a passion... the only form of anise I
can handle is star anise used in moderation. I also hate fresh dill
because it tastes/smells like aniseed to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 31, 6:22�am, Kajikit > wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 02:13:54 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:
> >In my experience, some foods are a love them or hate them kind of thing....no
> >wishy-washy. Black licorice is one of those things. Most of the folks in my
> >family *love* black licorice. My brother and I both hate it. I go so far as
> >to dislike star anise in almost anything, because it then tastes, to me,
> >like you put licorice in it. So, my question actually has 2 parts...
> >a. Do you like/love or dislike/hate black licorice?
> >b. Do you like the licorice-like flavor of other foods, like anise?

> I hate licorice and aniseed with a passion... the only form of anise I
> can handle is star anise used in moderation. I also hate fresh dill
> because it tastes/smells like aniseed to me.

We are in total agreement on the flavor od licorice-----
BLLLEEEECCCCHHHH

For some reason fennel has a tast that I love. Go figure

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:22:20 -0400, Kajikit >
wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 02:13:54 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:
>
>>In my experience, some foods are a love them or hate them kind of thing...no
>>wishy-washy. Black licorice is one of those things. Most of the folks in my
>>family *love* black licorice. My brother and I both hate it. I go so far as
>>to dislike star anise in almost anything, because it then tastes, to me,
>>like you put licorice in it. So, my question actually has 2 parts...
>>a. Do you like/love or dislike/hate black licorice?
>>b. Do you like the licorice-like flavor of other foods, like anise?

>I hate licorice and aniseed with a passion... the only form of anise I
>can handle is star anise used in moderation. I also hate fresh dill
>because it tastes/smells like aniseed to me.

i've never found dill akin to anise. i like dill, anise not so much.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-07-31, rosie > wrote:
> On Jul 31, 6:22?am, Kajikit > wrote:

>> I hate licorice and aniseed with a passion... the only form of anise I
>> can handle is star anise used in moderation.

> We are in total agreement on the flavor od licorice-----
> BLLLEEEECCCCHHHH
>
> For some reason fennel has a tast that I love. Go figure

I used to feel that way. I think it was those horrible licorice whips as a
kid. Yuk! But, I later discovered better black licorice, imported from
Europe. A whole different ballgame.

Still, I eschewed most licorice flavored food and drink. Pernod? Gag? Yet
Galiano, a basic anise flavored liqueur, tastes completely different when
used sparingly in a Harvey Wallbanger. It was when I discovered Italian
baked goods like anise biscotti that I really discovered I like anise. I'm
now loving it. I even buy the candy coated anise seeds like you find in
Indian restaurants.

You might try starting with a very light licorice flavored item like fennel
root. Fennel is like a cross between celery and licorice, but the licorice
part is so understated as to be almost undetectable (except when dried).
Here's a great recipe using fresh fennel root that you'll love and I dare
you to dislike it:

http://tinyurl.com/6chf9v

Also, go to a coffee shop/cafe and try an anise biscotti. To die for.

Enjoy =D
nb ....who still hates licorice whips

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 02:13:54 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:
>
>> In my experience, some foods are a love them or hate them kind of thing...no
>> wishy-washy. Black licorice is one of those things. Most of the folks in my
>> family *love* black licorice. My brother and I both hate it. I go so far as
>> to dislike star anise in almost anything, because it then tastes, to me,
>> like you put licorice in it. So, my question actually has 2 parts...
>> a. Do you like/love or dislike/hate black licorice?
>> b. Do you like the licorice-like flavor of other foods, like anise?

a. I really dislike black licorice.

b. I really DO like anise, fennel, tarragon, and most other flavor that
people associate with licorice. I don't mind ouzo but don't
particularly like anisette. Maybe it's the sweetness I don't like in
both cases.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> In my experience, some foods are a love them or hate them kind of thing...no
> wishy-washy. Black licorice is one of those things. Most of the folks in my
> family *love* black licorice. My brother and I both hate it. I go so far as
> to dislike star anise in almost anything, because it then tastes, to me,
> like you put licorice in it. So, my question actually has 2 parts...
> a. Do you like/love or dislike/hate black licorice?
> b. Do you like the licorice-like flavor of other foods, like anise?
>
> kimberly

Like good-quality black liquorice and the salted type. Used to chew on
liquorice root when I was a kid.

Don't consider anise, star anise or fennel bulb to taste much like
liquorice (or like each other) but like them all in context.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
>> My husband and my dogs LOVE the Panda black licorice in a box. If my
>> husband wants some licorice, he has to enjoy it while the dogs are
>> outside. All they have to hear is the rattle of the box and they are
>> immediately sitting right in front of him, waiting for their piece. Now,
>> it has to be the Panda brand. My husband tried the Swizzler brand of
>> black licorice. It was so funny to see both dogs actually spit out the
>> Swizzler. They gave him on of those "WHAT IS THAT??" looks.

> I've heard about the Panda brand. My mom likes licorice "all sorts" if you
> know what those are. They have a variety of shapes and additional things,
> like non-pareils and such. I'll have to tell her about the Panda brand of
> licorice, so she can try that.
>
> And about those dogs...with our schnauzer, Lucy, it's green beans. I don't
> know what it is, but whenever I make them, she sits right under the table
> during dinner. lol!
>
> kimberly

You can find Panda licorice at World Market and Kroger. I am sure there are
other outlets but those are the places that carry it in my area.
For some reason, a lot of dogs love green beans. I split a can with my dogs
once a week. It seems to keep their inner workings working just fine.

One dog, Rossco loves radishes. He will take one (has to be somewhat large)
and put it between his paws. He will proceed to carefully peel the red peel
off, leaving a little white ball. Both dogs love watermelon and hate
popcorn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like licorice candy and I use Chinese 5 Spice powder sometimes. It
contains: Anise, Cinnamon, Star Anise, Cloves and Ginger. A little goes
a long way with me. I don't like too strong a licorice flavor in my
food. A friend used to love Sen-Sen Candy, but that was way to strong
for me.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-01, Denise in NH > wrote:
> I like licorice candy and I use Chinese 5 Spice powder sometimes. It
> contains: Anise, Cinnamon, Star Anise, Cloves and Ginger.

I don't agree with that version, but..... Take a look at this informative
article:

http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2008/02...pice-brai.html

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Nexis" >
wrote:

> In my experience, some foods are a love them or hate them kind of thing...no
> wishy-washy. Black licorice is one of those things. Most of the folks in my
> family *love* black licorice. My brother and I both hate it. I go so far as
> to dislike star anise in almost anything, because it then tastes, to me,
> like you put licorice in it. So, my question actually has 2 parts...
> a. Do you like/love or dislike/hate black licorice?
> b. Do you like the licorice-like flavor of other foods, like anise?
>
> kimberly

I feel like I'd eat some if it were in front of me. My late MIL used to
like the Panda (?) brand for its laxative effect on her. Who knew. Who
needed to know?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 20:49:31 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "Nexis" >
> wrote:
>
>> In my experience, some foods are a love them or hate them kind of thing...no
>> wishy-washy. Black licorice is one of those things. Most of the folks in my
>> family *love* black licorice. My brother and I both hate it. I go so far as
>> to dislike star anise in almost anything, because it then tastes, to me,
>> like you put licorice in it. So, my question actually has 2 parts...
>> a. Do you like/love or dislike/hate black licorice?
>> b. Do you like the licorice-like flavor of other foods, like anise?
>>
>> kimberly

> I feel like I'd eat some if it were in front of me. My late MIL used to
> like the Panda (?) brand for its laxative effect on her. Who knew. Who
> needed to know?

<snort>

your pal,
blake
Member

VIDYA HERBS Products of Herbal Extracts, Green Coffee Bean Extract are manufactured with strict quality control measures at every lever of production.Herbal Extract, Herbal Extracts, Green Coffee, Green Coffee Bean Extract, Herbal Extract Manufacturers, Green Coffee Bean Extract manufacturers, in Bangalore, India.

Make her feel good- One of the best ways to please a woman is to makeher feel good in your company ali khanbaba Diabetic 0 02-06-2009 09:43 AM
Make her feel good- One of the best ways to please a woman is to makeher feel good in your company ali khanbaba Diabetic 0 02-06-2009 09:42 AM
Licorice Nick Cramer Asian Cooking 3 04-05-2009 03:20 AM
Licorice [email protected] Asian Cooking 0 03-05-2009 04:37 AM
Where can I get licorice extract. Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 7 10-11-2006 08:51 PM