Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default frozen pie comparisons

While shopping today I saw a frozen lemon meringue pie by Claim
Jumpers, a chain restaurant I've never been to. Something about the
packaging, perhaps the height of the box, attracted me. Didn't buy it
but it made me think. We buy pies from various bakeries and from
Marie Callenders. None is terrific, most are okay (and better than
the crust I make). What are the chances that the frozen pie might be
an okay substitute? -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:25:51 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

> What are the chances that the frozen pie might be
>an okay substitute?

Why don't you buy one and be able to give us a first hand unbiased
report.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 29, 3:34*pm, Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:25:51 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:
>
> > What are the chances that the frozen pie might be
> >an okay substitute?

> Why don't you buy one and be able to give us a first hand unbiased
> report. *

I might, next time I see it. In the meantime I know there are posters
here who buy frozen pizzas so I thought I'd ask about frozen pies. -
aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-07-29, aem > wrote:
> While shopping today I saw a frozen lemon meringue pie by Claim
> Jumpers, a chain restaurant I've never been to. Something about the
> packaging, perhaps the height of the box, attracted me. Didn't buy it

Mrs Smith used to make great frzn pies. MS has provided the restaurant
trade for 30+ yrs that I know of and even their supermarket offerings were
decent, the MS premium line, like deep dish apple, being excellent. Last
time I bought an MS d/d premium apple pie, it just plain sucked. Reduced
amount, pithy apples, etc. I'll never buy MS again.

I've tried the CJ berry pie and a MC berry pie (cobbler?) and they were both
pretty decent, 'cept the MC cobbler had about twice as much crust as
necessarry, flour being cheaper than berries. I'd go for either, providing
they are on deep sale.

Baker's Square (gotta buy from storefront) has degraded so much, I wouldn't
even bother. Bottom line, you wanna a good pie, bake your own.

nb

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2008-07-29, aem > wrote:
>> While shopping today I saw a frozen lemon meringue pie by Claim
>> Jumpers, a chain restaurant I've never been to. Something about the
>> packaging, perhaps the height of the box, attracted me. Didn't buy it

I love pie baking and am good at it so I never buy frozen.

<snip>

> Baker's Square (gotta buy from storefront) has degraded so much, I
> wouldn't
> even bother. <snip>

This has not been my experience with the Baker's Square in Davis,
California. I've had their coconut cream pie within recent memory and I
thought it was divine. The crust wasn't as good as mine though :-)

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-07-29, TammyM > wrote:

> I love pie baking and am good at it so I never buy frozen.

I knew I shoulda come to visit you before I moved.

> California. I've had their coconut cream pie within recent memory and I
> thought it was divine.

My "within recent memory" recalls some great pies, too. My "last time I was
ripped off" memory is quite different. My fave pie, the Caramel Pecan Silk
Supreme went from a fantastic pie of bountiful layers of pecans and caramel
and cream cheese to mere whispered patinas of flavor topped with mountains of
grease-whip, not even good enough to finish. Yes, I tossed it!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> While shopping today I saw a frozen lemon meringue pie by Claim
> Jumpers, a chain restaurant I've never been to.

my son & his girl friend both work at the claim jumpers in monrovia,
ca, and all of the bakery products are made fresh in house (not from
the commissary) every day. all of the desserts are pretty good, but
then i may be biased.

harriet & critters in the earthquake zone. 5.4 is not as bad as 9.0,
when i was in anchorage, in the spring of '64.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

TammyM wrote:

> I love pie baking and am good at it so I never buy frozen.

There was one brand of frozen pie that I used to get, close to the
holidays that rivaled many freshly baked pies I had tried. And it was
certainly better than mine since I suck at making pie crusts. (My mom
made the best crusts, but I never quite mastered her skill).

The pies were sold as fundraisers for my girls' high school
organizations they were in at the time. They came from SYSCO Food
Distribution, but I'm not exactly sure who the bakers were.

Can't say I was ever disappointed in anything that I had ordered from
them. The pies were quite large and servings were more than ample. Crust
was dee-lish!

> This has not been my experience with the Baker's Square in Davis,
> California. I've had their coconut cream pie within recent memory and I
> thought it was divine. The crust wasn't as good as mine though :-)

Nice to see you posting again! Just got back from a month away from
home. Still trying to find my stride with the house-wifey routine. ;-)

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lin" > wrote in message
est...
> TammyM wrote:
>
> > I love pie baking and am good at it so I never buy frozen.

> There was one brand of frozen pie that I used to get, close to the
> holidays that rivaled many freshly baked pies I had tried. And it was
> certainly better than mine since I suck at making pie crusts. (My mom
> made the best crusts, but I never quite mastered her skill).
>
> The pies were sold as fundraisers for my girls' high school
> organizations they were in at the time. They came from SYSCO Food
> Distribution, but I'm not exactly sure who the bakers were.

Pretty much all the products SYSCO distributes are good quality, probably
because they supply restaurants. I often buy their products in bulk.

Buddy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 29, 5:02*pm, "Buddy" > wrote:
> "Lin" > wrote in message
> >
> > The pies were sold as fundraisers for my girls' high school
> > organizations they were in at the time. They came from SYSCO Food
> > Distribution, but I'm not exactly sure who the bakers were.

> Pretty much all the products SYSCO distributes are good quality, probably
> because they supply restaurants. I often buy their products in bulk.

Hmmm, maybe I should look at Smart & Final for those. I've never
looked at their frozen desserts but I've had good luck with the things
I get in bulk and large sizes there. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 29 Jul 2008 03:25:51p, aem told us...

> While shopping today I saw a frozen lemon meringue pie by Claim
> Jumpers, a chain restaurant I've never been to. Something about the
> packaging, perhaps the height of the box, attracted me. Didn't buy it
> but it made me think. We buy pies from various bakeries and from
> Marie Callenders. None is terrific, most are okay (and better than
> the crust I make). What are the chances that the frozen pie might be
> an okay substitute? -aem

I haven't bought their pie, but I have bought their frozen carrot cake and it
was pretty good.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 07(VII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> While shopping today I saw a frozen lemon meringue pie by Claim
> Jumpers, a chain restaurant I've never been to. Something about the
> packaging, perhaps the height of the box, attracted me. Didn't buy it
> but it made me think. We buy pies from various bakeries and from
> Marie Callenders. None is terrific, most are okay (and better than
> the crust I make). What are the chances that the frozen pie might be
> an okay substitute? -aem

The ingredients might be a clue. I like to buy things that are
made from things I might cook with myself. Also, obviously (or
not), NO HFCS or partially hydrogenated oils/fat.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 29 Jul 2008 06:20:50p, Jean B. told us...

> aem wrote:
>> While shopping today I saw a frozen lemon meringue pie by Claim
>> Jumpers, a chain restaurant I've never been to. Something about the
>> packaging, perhaps the height of the box, attracted me. Didn't buy it
>> but it made me think. We buy pies from various bakeries and from
>> Marie Callenders. None is terrific, most are okay (and better than
>> the crust I make). What are the chances that the frozen pie might be
>> an okay substitute? -aem

> The ingredients might be a clue. I like to buy things that are
> made from things I might cook with myself. Also, obviously (or
> not), NO HFCS or partially hydrogenated oils/fat.

I just don't buy into the HFCS debacle, but i totally agree on any
hydrogenated fats.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 07(VII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
How come you never see a politician
laugh? Because they know what they're
getting away with, and if they started
laughing, they'd never stop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> While shopping today I saw a frozen lemon meringue pie by Claim
> Jumpers, a chain restaurant I've never been to. Something about the
> packaging, perhaps the height of the box, attracted me. Didn't buy it
> but it made me think. We buy pies from various bakeries and from
> Marie Callenders. None is terrific, most are okay (and better than
> the crust I make). What are the chances that the frozen pie might be
> an okay substitute? -aem

Well, the best way to tell is to try it ;-)

I haven't tried their lemon, but my SIL did make one of the apple pies,
which I found far too sweet for my tastes, but the kids loved it. Sara Lee,
believe it or not, makes one that is actually pretty tasty. Said SIL made
that one too. She's not big on making desserts ;-) I can't remember what
it's called..fruits of the forest, maybe? It has apples, rhubarb,
strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries I believe. Crumb top. With a
scoop of cinnamon ice cream, it was pretty good.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"mequeenbe.nospam" > wrote in message

> aem wrote:
>> While shopping today I saw a frozen lemon meringue pie by Claim
>> Jumpers, a chain restaurant I've never been to.

> my son & his girl friend both work at the claim jumpers in monrovia,
> ca, and all of the bakery products are made fresh in house (not from
> the commissary) every day. all of the desserts are pretty good, but
> then i may be biased.
>
> harriet & critters in the earthquake zone. 5.4 is not as bad as 9.0,
> when i was in anchorage, in the spring of '64.

I don't care much for their huge cake, but they have good muffins. I am in
favor of the blueberry, but my mom loves the bran.

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2008-07-29, TammyM > wrote:
>
>> I love pie baking and am good at it so I never buy frozen.

> I knew I shoulda come to visit you before I moved.
>
>> California. I've had their coconut cream pie within recent memory and I
>> thought it was divine.

> My "within recent memory" recalls some great pies, too. My "last time I was
> ripped off" memory is quite different. My fave pie, the Caramel Pecan Silk
> Supreme went from a fantastic pie of bountiful layers of pecans and caramel
> and cream cheese to mere whispered patinas of flavor topped with mountains of
> grease-whip, not even good enough to finish. Yes, I tossed it!
>
> nb

Sad. I wonder whether the ingredient list order reflected that
change for the worse?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 29 Jul 2008 06:20:50p, Jean B. told us...
>
>> aem wrote:
>>> While shopping today I saw a frozen lemon meringue pie by Claim
>>> Jumpers, a chain restaurant I've never been to. Something about the
>>> packaging, perhaps the height of the box, attracted me. Didn't buy it
>>> but it made me think. We buy pies from various bakeries and from
>>> Marie Callenders. None is terrific, most are okay (and better than
>>> the crust I make). What are the chances that the frozen pie might be
>>> an okay substitute? -aem

>> The ingredients might be a clue. I like to buy things that are
>> made from things I might cook with myself. Also, obviously (or
>> not), NO HFCS or partially hydrogenated oils/fat.
>>

> I just don't buy into the HFCS debacle, but i totally agree on any
> hydrogenated fats.

I think HFCS makes the products taste dull. Oh sure, I might not
always notice this, but sometimes I most definitely do. So that's
on top of the health claims.... And while pie (unless savory)
should be sweet, I don't like the fact that sweetener or any sort
is being added to most things these days.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 30 Jul 2008 07:33:59a, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> The ingredients might be a clue. I like to buy things that are
>>> made from things I might cook with myself. Also, obviously (or
>>> not), NO HFCS or partially hydrogenated oils/fat.
>>>

>> I just don't buy into the HFCS debacle, but i totally agree on any
>> hydrogenated fats.
>>

> I think HFCS makes the products taste dull. Oh sure, I might not
> always notice this, but sometimes I most definitely do. So that's
> on top of the health claims.... And while pie (unless savory)
> should be sweet, I don't like the fact that sweetener or any sort
> is being added to most things these days.

I probably buy ready-to-eat products that contain HFCS because I don't
bother looking at the label, however, I don't think I buy any ingrediets
that contain HFCS. There are few fruit pies that I don't add some amount
of cane sugar or brown sugar to, as well as cream and custard pies, and
lemon meringue pie. I can't imagine any of them without some degree of
added sweetness.

I cook most things from scratch, and I rather doubt that those dishes end
up with any HFCS.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 07(VII)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)

Fuel Cost Comparisons once more Theron General Cooking 64 07-10-2009 06:08 AM
Cookware Comparisons Sandy K. Cooking Equipment 1 14-01-2007 01:09 AM
Tea comparisons? Serendip Tea 25 20-02-2005 10:58 PM
Tea comparisons? Serendip Tea 0 18-02-2005 12:29 AM
Historical Comparisons www.factoryfarming.com Barbecue 39 28-03-2004 06:52 AM