Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default supper tonight

So I chopped up some romain and added the usual suspects for a green salad,
tomatoes, radishes, cuke, onion, red bell pepper, mushroom.
I then chopped up a chicken breast pan fried it with some sour cream and
taco seasoning added at the end...Wilted chicken taco salad was born when I
added the shredded cheese to the greens and poured the pan of still warm
tacofied chicken chunks and sauce over it..

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus said...

> So I chopped up some romain and added the usual suspects for a green
> salad, tomatoes, radishes, cuke, onion, red bell pepper, mushroom.
> I then chopped up a chicken breast pan fried it with some sour cream
> and taco seasoning added at the end...Wilted chicken taco salad was born
> when I added the shredded cheese to the greens and poured the pan of
> still warm tacofied chicken chunks and sauce over it..

hahabogus,

Excellent and creative and YUM!!!

Forgot the avocado and bacon bits. You were SO close to a cobb salad. Ya
BUM!!!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> So I chopped up some romain and added the usual suspects for a green
> salad,
> tomatoes, radishes, cuke, onion, red bell pepper, mushroom.
> I then chopped up a chicken breast pan fried it with some sour cream and
> taco seasoning added at the end...Wilted chicken taco salad was born when
> added the shredded cheese to the greens and poured the pan of still warm
> tacofied chicken chunks and sauce over it..

Having found corn tortillas!!!! in a local supermarket that carries some
foreign food, I made sorta tacos. They were sorta good. But these
tortillas, larger than usual, took forever to crisp. The recipes on the
side were for enchiladas in 3 languages, all latin derived. Do they make a
much softer tortilla for enchiladas? The brand was Old El Paso.

The cost a bomb, though. 8 tortillas for about $4.50 US.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:05:38 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"hahabogus" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> So I chopped up some romain and added the usual suspects for a green
>> salad,
>> tomatoes, radishes, cuke, onion, red bell pepper, mushroom.
>> I then chopped up a chicken breast pan fried it with some sour cream and
>> taco seasoning added at the end...Wilted chicken taco salad was born when
>> added the shredded cheese to the greens and poured the pan of still warm
>> tacofied chicken chunks and sauce over it..

>Having found corn tortillas!!!! in a local supermarket that carries some
>foreign food, I made sorta tacos. They were sorta good. But these
>tortillas, larger than usual, took forever to crisp. The recipes on the
>side were for enchiladas in 3 languages, all latin derived. Do they make a
>much softer tortilla for enchiladas? The brand was Old El Paso.
>
>The cost a bomb, though. 8 tortillas for about $4.50 US.

Holy moly $4.50 for 8 tortillas. Would it be cheaper to have someone
send you some masa de maiz and make your own? I don't know how much it
costs to send things to Italy but dang, it can't help but think it
would be cheaper.

For enchiladas, just barely cook the tortrillas in oil until pliable
enough to fill and roll. When my dad would make his world famous Irish
enchiladas he'd warm up some enchilada sauce in a skillet and quickly
cook the tortillas in that until soft enough to roll.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 7/26
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 27, 2:05*am, "Giusi" > wrote:

> Having found corn tortillas!!!! in a local supermarket that carries some
> foreign food, I made sorta tacos. *They were sorta good. *But these
> tortillas, larger than usual, took forever to crisp. *The recipes on the
> side were for enchiladas in 3 languages, all latin derived. *Do they make a
> much softer tortilla for enchiladas? *The brand was Old El Paso.
>
> The cost a bomb, though. *8 tortillas for about $4.50 US.

Wow, that's costly. I thought the lure of Mexican food had spread
more efficiently than that. I don't suppose you can find tortilla
masa in the stores over there? At that price it would be worthwhile
for you to ask someone to send you a bag of masa and a tortilla press.

It reminds me of the base I served at in southern Japan some 40 years
ago. The service club there served a late night snack of fried
tacos. Hamburger, bottled taco seasonings and taco sauce probably
also by El Paso at that time and those same canned tortillas. Memory
says they were crispy enough but obviously fried in a lot of fat,
probably lard back then. They were just the thing to settle your
stomach after a night of drinking down at "the village." Three for 65
cents. Back then the yen was fixed at 360 to the dollar....... -
aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> So I chopped up some romain and added the usual suspects for a green
> salad,
> tomatoes, radishes, cuke, onion, red bell pepper, mushroom.
> I then chopped up a chicken breast pan fried it with some sour cream and
> taco seasoning added at the end...Wilted chicken taco salad was born when
> added the shredded cheese to the greens and poured the pan of still warm
> tacofied chicken chunks and sauce over it..

Sounds really good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> But these
> tortillas, larger than usual, took forever to crisp. The recipes on the
> side were for enchiladas in 3 languages, all latin derived. Do they make a
> much softer tortilla for enchiladas? The brand was Old El Paso.
>
> The cost a bomb, though. 8 tortillas for about $4.50 US.

They aren't much cheaper here these days.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > ha scritto nel messaggio
On Jul 27, 2:05 am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> They cost a bomb, though. 8 tortillas for about $4.50 US.

Wow, that's costly. I thought the lure of Mexican food had spread
more efficiently than that. I don't suppose you can find tortilla
masa in the stores over there?
aem

Bigger cities have some Mexican type things. I could buy masa at Rome, but
a train to Rome and back is a lot more than US$4.50, so until I have another
reason to go... I have a tortilla press waiting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" > ha scritto nel messaggio +0200, "Giusi"

> wrote:
>>They cost a bomb, though. 8 tortillas for about $4.50 US.
>>

> Holy moly $4.50 for 8 tortillas. Would it be cheaper to have someone
> send you some masa de maiz and make your own? I don't know how much it>
> costs to send things to Italy but dang, it can't help but think it
> would be cheaper.

The USPS has dropped regular mail to foreign countries and you must use
airmail. It means it is never cheaper to send things here. I ordered books
from Amazon-- paperbacks-- to try to use some of my stimulus check in the US
and for maybe 10 paperbacks the postage was $56.00.

> For enchiladas, just barely cook the tortrillas in oil until pliable
> enough to fill and roll.

Yeah, but I wanted a TACO! We used to do taco night on Friday with some
friends and I have many warm memories of that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> "aem" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Jul 27, 2:05 am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> > They cost a bomb, though. 8 tortillas for about $4.50 US.

> Wow, that's costly. I thought the lure of Mexican food had spread
> more efficiently than that. I don't suppose you can find tortilla
> masa in the stores over there?
> aem
>
> Bigger cities have some Mexican type things. I could buy masa at Rome, but
> a train to Rome and back is a lot more than US$4.50, so until I have another
> reason to go... I have a tortilla press waiting.

Can roll/pat out the masa by hand in any case if you didn't have a
press. We could send you some dried masa harina for tortilla making. Or
else send you a pack of corn tortillas, which are very cheap around
here.

That same Old El Paso company makes taco kits, which I've seen in the
UK. Any of those around your place?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> :
> That same Old El Paso company makes taco kits, which I've seen in the
> UK. Any of those around your place?

Yje rest of the TexMex is Umcle Ben's all the tortillas are all flour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

> I ordered books
> from Amazon-- paperbacks-- to try to use some of my stimulus check in the US
> and for maybe 10 paperbacks the postage was $56.00.

From Amazon directly, or from Amazon "Marketplace"? If the former, why
don't you order from Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de? Postage to Italy is
something like £4 or 6 euros, no matter how many books you order, even
if they come from America. I have it even better here, as Amazon.de
does not charge any postage for books delivered to German addresses.

ObFood: Crescentini salate, from _Traditional Recipes from Florence_ by
Carla Geri Camporesi.

Victor

Crescentini salate
Savoury shapes

500 g (1 lb 2 oz) flour, 20 g (1 oz) butter or lard, 1 scant tbsp baking
powder, stock, salt, extra virgin olive oil

Put the flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt and the butter or lard on
to a pastry board and mix the ingredients together, adding enough stock
to make a soft, well kneaded dough. Roll this out into a square of
about 20 cm. Fold it in four and roll it out again. Repeat this
procedure four or five times, then roll the dough out to a thickness of
about 5 mm, and cut it into diamond shapes. Put oil or lard, or a
mixture of the two, into a frying pan and heat well, the fat must be
boiling. Fry the little shapes a few at a time. Turn the over as soon
as one side starts to brown, being careful not to pierce them. Put the
shapes on to a dish lined with absorbent paper, salt lightly and serve
hot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> Crescentini salate
> Savoury shapes
>
> 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) flour, 20 g (1 oz) butter or lard, 1 scant tbsp baking
> powder, stock, salt, extra virgin olive oil
>
> Put the flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt and the butter or lard on
> to a pastry board and mix the ingredients together, adding enough stock
> to make a soft, well kneaded dough. Roll this out into a square of
> about 20 cm. Fold it in four and roll it out again. Repeat this
> procedure four or five times, then roll the dough out to a thickness of
> about 5 mm, and cut it into diamond shapes. Put oil or lard, or a
> mixture of the two, into a frying pan and heat well, the fat must be
> boiling. Fry the little shapes a few at a time. Turn the over as soon
> as one side starts to brown, being careful not to pierce them. Put the
> shapes on to a dish lined with absorbent paper, salt lightly and serve
> hot.

That sounds wonderful.
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > ha scritto nel messaggio > Giusi
> wrote:
>
>> I ordered books
>> from Amazon-- paperbacks-- to try to use some of my stimulus check in the
>> US
>> and for maybe 10 paperbacks the postage was $56.00.

> From Amazon directly, or from Amazon "Marketplace"? If the former, why
> don't you order from Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de? Postage to Italy is
> something like £4 or 6 euros, no matter how many books you order, even
> if they come from America. I have it even better here, as Amazon.de
> does not charge any postage for books delivered to German addresses.
>
> Victor

Because if I spend it in Europe, it doesn't stimulate the USA?

My experience with postage from UK is way more costly than yours. Perhaps
distance? I paid more than that once for a single DVD that was shipped
separately against my orders.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Victor Sack wrote:
>>
>> Crescentini salate
>> Savoury shapes
>>

> That sounds wonderful.
> gloria p

They are great, GP, but I use only olive oil or lard and olive oil mixed.
We press various herbs into them and eat them before a meal with wine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

> Because if I spend it in Europe, it doesn't stimulate the USA?

If you buy those same books from a branch of that same Amazon, what's
the difference?

ObFood: Garmugia, from _Traditional Recipes of Lucchesian Farmers_.

Victor

Garmugia

Ingredients
1 bunch spring onions, 50 g (2 oz) bacon (cut in thin strips), 150 g (4
oz) ground beef, 400 g (14 oz) thinly chopped vegetables (broad beans,
peas, asparagus tips, artichokes, etc.), 1 litre of stock, a little oil
for frying

Method
- Heat the oil in a lrge saucepan, add the chopped spring onions, bacon
and ground beef - cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally and add
the prepared chopped vegetables.
- Mix well and cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring well.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, allowing the mix to simmer for a
few minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot with toasted croutons.