Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Using Cream Cheese for a supper entree

I have a couple packages of cream cheese that I usually use for dips
or cheesecake, but do not plan to use them for that. I want to use
them for a main entree for something for supper,but cannot think of
anything. Any suggestions? Could you put it in lasanga instead of
cottage cheese? I will also search for cream cheese recipes.

Thanks

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> I have a couple packages of cream cheese that I usually use for dips
> or cheesecake, but do not plan to use them for that. I want to use
> them for a main entree for something for supper,but cannot think of
> anything. Any suggestions? Could you put it in lasanga instead of
> cottage cheese? I will also search for cream cheese recipes.

I have an aunt who used to use cream cheese with macaroni. The recipe
was very simple. She would boil macaroni until it was tender, then drain
it thoroughly, return it to the pot, and add two or three pats of butter
and some cream cheese, then melt it gently by stirring it over a low
heat until the cream cheese was thoroughly mixed into the macaroni and
all melted through. This went well with tuna salad sandwiches. I never
met anyone else who made macaroni that way, and it sounds strange, but
its actually pretty good, and very easy to make.

That being said, if I had some extra cream cheese, I would go out and
buy some bagels and some lox and enjoy it for breakfast the next day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> " > wrote:
>
>> I have a couple packages of cream cheese that I usually use for dips
>> or cheesecake, but do not plan to use them for that. I want to use
>> them for a main entree for something for supper,but cannot think of
>> anything.

How about both? Lobster cheesecake. A friend made it for dinner one night
and it was fabulous. I think the recipe came from Food Network.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tomba wrote:
> I have a couple packages of cream cheese that I usually use for dips
> or cheesecake, but do not plan to use them for that. I want to use
> them for a main entree for something for supper,but cannot think of
> anything. Any suggestions? Could you put it in lasanga instead of
> cottage cheese? I will also search for cream cheese recipes.

---= GOLDIE LOX =---

scrambled eggs with lox and cream cheese
Bon App�tit | September 1995

Called Goldie Lox at Sarabeth's restaurant in New York, this delicious
dish gets its name from the golden color of the eggs, which are
combined with the lox. There are pockets of cream cheese throughout
this savory mixture, the key to creating them is keeping the cheese
cold until it is folded into the eggs. Be sure to have plenty of
coffee and an assortment of teas on hand to complete the meal.

12 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons butter
1 8-ounce package well-chilled cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
6 ounces thinly sliced Nova Scotia smoked salmon or lox, cut into 1/2-
inch-wide strips

Chopped fresh chives (optional)

Whisk eggs, salt and pepper in large bowl to blend. Melt butter in
large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs. Using wooden
spoon, stir until eggs are almost set, about 5 minutes. Gently fold in
cheese and salmon and stir just until eggs are set, about 1 minute.
Transfer eggs to platter. Sprinkle with chives, if desired, and serve.
---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In article
> >,
> " > wrote:
>
>> I have a couple packages of cream cheese that I usually use for dips
>> or cheesecake, but do not plan to use them for that. I want to use
>> them for a main entree for something for supper,but cannot think of
>> anything. Any suggestions? Could you put it in lasanga instead of
>> cottage cheese? I will also search for cream cheese recipes.

> I have an aunt who used to use cream cheese with macaroni. The recipe
> was very simple. She would boil macaroni until it was tender, then drain
> it thoroughly, return it to the pot, and add two or three pats of butter
> and some cream cheese, then melt it gently by stirring it over a low
> heat until the cream cheese was thoroughly mixed into the macaroni and
> all melted through. This went well with tuna salad sandwiches. I never
> met anyone else who made macaroni that way, and it sounds strange, but
> its actually pretty good, and very easy to make.
>
> That being said, if I had some extra cream cheese, I would go out and
> buy some bagels and some lox and enjoy it for breakfast the next day.

That's a good idea - but cheesecake would be foremost on my mind if I
was trying to use up a signigicant amount of cream cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> " > wrote:
>>
>>> I have a couple packages of cream cheese that I usually use for dips
>>> or cheesecake, but do not plan to use them for that. I want to use
>>> them for a main entree for something for supper,but cannot think of
>>> anything. Any suggestions? Could you put it in lasanga instead of
>>> cottage cheese? I will also search for cream cheese recipes.

>> I have an aunt who used to use cream cheese with macaroni. The recipe
>> was very simple. She would boil macaroni until it was tender, then
>> drain it thoroughly, return it to the pot, and add two or three pats
>> of butter and some cream cheese, then melt it gently by stirring it
>> over a low heat until the cream cheese was thoroughly mixed into the
>> macaroni and all melted through. This went well with tuna salad
>> sandwiches. I never met anyone else who made macaroni that way, and
>> it sounds strange, but its actually pretty good, and very easy to
>> make.
>>
>> That being said, if I had some extra cream cheese, I would go out and
>> buy some bagels and some lox and enjoy it for breakfast the next day.

> That's a good idea - but cheesecake would be foremost on my mind if I
> was trying to use up a signigicant amount of cream cheese.

I make a cabbage and pork casserole...cream cheese is the base for the
sauce. Several tbsps of taco seasoning and cream cheese to be exact.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 20-Jul-2008, Sheldon > wrote:
>
>> scrambled eggs with lox and cream cheese
>> Bon App�tit | September 1995

> It's also a good cheese for filling an omelet; recently I had a cream cheese
> and grape jam omelet that was quite tasty.

I'll let you be the guinea pig on that one. :P
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> sf > wrote in
> :
>
>> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>>> In article

>>> I have an aunt who used to use cream cheese with macaroni. The recipe
>>> was very simple. She would boil macaroni until it was tender, then
>>> drain it thoroughly, return it to the pot, and add two or three pats
>>> of butter and some cream cheese, then melt it gently by stirring it
>>> over a low heat until the cream cheese was thoroughly mixed into the
>>> macaroni and all melted through. This went well with tuna salad
>>> sandwiches. I never met anyone else who made macaroni that way, and
>>> it sounds strange, but its actually pretty good, and very easy to
>>> make.
>>>
>>> That being said, if I had some extra cream cheese, I would go out and
>>> buy some bagels and some lox and enjoy it for breakfast the next day.

>> That's a good idea - but cheesecake would be foremost on my mind if I
>> was trying to use up a signigicant amount of cream cheese.
>>

> I make a cabbage and pork casserole...cream cheese is the base for the
> sauce. Several tbsps of taco seasoning and cream cheese to be exact.

Is that, perchance, LC? If so, recipe please? :-)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in news:6eh6vhF72qpgU21
@mid.individual.net:

> Is that, perchance, LC? If so, recipe please? :-)

I usually just use the garlic powder and a pkg of taco seasoning instead
of the other spices...

this isn't truly low carb but it is close to it.
serves 4... carbs per serving is around 10-15.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Alan's Cabbage And Pork Casserole1

Lo-Carb, main dish, tested

1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder; for pork steak seasoning
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper; for pork steak seasoning
1 medium stalk celery; chopped
1 Medium cabbage; shredded
3 Tablespoons Canola Oil; or more if needed
2 Pounds Pork Steak; 2 steaks (halved)
1 Medium Onion; chopped
1 Medium Bell Pepper; chopped
1/2 tsp Salt; to taste
1/2 tsp pepper; to taste
1 cup water; used with chicken broth c
1 tablespoon chicken broth cubes; crushed (2 cubes)
1/2 Teaspoon Cumin; to taste
1/2 Teaspoon Savory; to taste
1/2 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes; to taste
6 Ounces Cream Cheese; in little pieces

Yield: 4 servings

preheat oven to 350F
run the onion and celey and pepper thru the food processor shredder blade
then soften in oil in dutch oven then reserve
use just about any pork meat, season then brown and reserve
run the cabbage thru the processor then put everthing in the pot except
the
seasonings.
season it then mix well.
stir it at half time (30 minutes) to get better melting of cream cheese.

Preheat oven to 350 deg F. In skillet, saute onion, bell pepper and celery
over med-high heat in
canola til softened. Remove and reserve, add pork and brown, remove and
reserve.
Place Shredded Cabbage and softened veggies in a dutch oven (mix well).
Pour in Broth and sprinkle in seasonings.
With the lid on cook in the oven 1 hr approx.

Notes: rub some garlic powder and Pepper into the pork steak before
browning.

a definite do again.

improvements: it was a little runny try uping the cream cheese to 8 oz and
cutting back on the water to 3/4 cups

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yield: 4 servings

Preparation Time: 0:00

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> l, not -l wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:

> >> scrambled eggs with lox and cream cheese
> >> Â*Bon App�tit | September 1995

> > It's also a good cheese for filling an omelet; recently I had a cream cheese
> > and grape jam omelet that was quite tasty.

> I'll let you be the guinea pig on that one. Â* :P

I'll assume it's the concord grape you have an aversion to, not the
cream cheese on the omelet.. I've had crepes and even blintzes with
cheese and concord grape jelly, tastes pretty good... a bagel or
english muffin with a schmear and grape jelly is a classic. I prefer
Freedom Toast with grape jelly rather than maple syrup... I prefer any
fruit syrup to maple syrup, I hate maple syrup.... why would any sane
person want to suck cooked to death fercocktah tree sap when they can
have real fruit... there is nothing natural about maple syrup, don't
let anyone bullshit you. Maple syrup is no more a natural food
product than knox gelatin... both are so altered in the manufacturing
process that neither has any resempbance whatsoever to real food...
save your dollars and use artificial maple syrup, it tastes
consistantly better too. There is really no way to know what/who's in
so called real maple syrup anyway it's a mystery product... doncha
think if it were an honest product there wouldn't exist all those
gubermint certifying agencies... supposedly overseeing the
manufacture, yeah, right... government.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> I usually just use the garlic powder and a pkg of taco seasoning instead
> of the other spices...
>
> this isn't truly low carb but it is close to it.
> serves 4... carbs per serving is around 10-15.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Alan's Cabbage And Pork Casserole1
>
> Lo-Carb, main dish, tested
>
> 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder; for pork steak seasoning
> 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper; for pork steak seasoning
> 1 medium stalk celery; chopped
> 1 Medium cabbage; shredded
> 3 Tablespoons Canola Oil; or more if needed
> 2 Pounds Pork Steak; 2 steaks (halved)
> 1 Medium Onion; chopped
> 1 Medium Bell Pepper; chopped
> 1/2 tsp Salt; to taste
> 1/2 tsp pepper; to taste
> 1 cup water; used with chicken broth c
> 1 tablespoon chicken broth cubes; crushed (2 cubes)
> 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin; to taste
> 1/2 Teaspoon Savory; to taste
> 1/2 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes; to taste
> 6 Ounces Cream Cheese; in little pieces
>
> Yield: 4 servings
>
> preheat oven to 350F
> run the onion and celey and pepper thru the food processor shredder blade
> then soften in oil in dutch oven then reserve
> use just about any pork meat, season then brown and reserve
> run the cabbage thru the processor then put everthing in the pot except
> the
> seasonings.
> season it then mix well.
> stir it at half time (30 minutes) to get better melting of cream cheese.
>
> Preheat oven to 350 deg F. In skillet, saute onion, bell pepper and celery
> over med-high heat in
> canola til softened. Remove and reserve, add pork and brown, remove and
> reserve.
> Place Shredded Cabbage and softened veggies in a dutch oven (mix well).
> Pour in Broth and sprinkle in seasonings.
> With the lid on cook in the oven 1 hr approx.
>
> Notes: rub some garlic powder and Pepper into the pork steak before
> browning.
>
> a definite do again.
>
> improvements: it was a little runny try uping the cream cheese to 8 oz and
> cutting back on the water to 3/4 cups
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Yield: 4 servings
>
> Preparation Time: 0:00
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **

Thank you! That was quick! It looks like a nice thing to try
when the weather here cools down a bit. Also, the basic
ingredients would seem to lend themselves to interesting experiments.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I have a couple packages of cream cheese that I usually use for dips
> or cheesecake, but do not plan to use them for that. I want to use
> them for a main entree for something for supper,but cannot think of
> anything. Any suggestions? Could you put it in lasanga instead of
> cottage cheese? I will also search for cream cheese recipes.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

I LOVE cream cheese on Hot Dogs!

Van

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I have a couple packages of cream cheese that I usually use for dips
> or cheesecake, but do not plan to use them for that. I want to use
> them for a main entree for something for supper,but cannot think of
> anything. Any suggestions? Could you put it in lasanga instead of
> cottage cheese? I will also search for cream cheese recipes.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Google "cream cheese Lasagna"

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

CREAM CHEESE LASAGNA
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1/4 c. water
1 tbsp. dried parsley flakes
2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp. beef flavored bouillon granules
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 c. cottage cheese
1/4 c. sour cream
2 eggs, beaten
8 oz. pkg. lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
4 oz. pkg. sliced pepperoni
2 c. (8 oz.) shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
Cook beef and onion in a heavy skillet until meat is browned, stirring to
crumble; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and next 6 ingredients; cook over low
heat 10 minutes.
Combine the cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream and eggs; stir well.
Spoon a small amount of meat sauce into a lightly greased 12x8x2 inch baking
dish (a 9x13 will work also). Layer with half each of lasagna noodles,
cheese mixture, pepperoni, meat sauce and Mozzarella cheese; repeat layers
with remaining ingredients. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 09:53:32 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> l, not -l wrote:

>> > It's also a good cheese for filling an omelet; recently I had a cream cheese
>> > and grape jam omelet that was quite tasty.

>> I'll let you be the guinea pig on that one. * :P

>I'll assume it's the concord grape you have an aversion to, not the
>cream cheese on the omelet..

I hate grape jelly and wouldn't dream of adulterating my omelet with
cream cheese.

>I've had crepes and even blintzes with
>cheese and concord grape jelly, tastes pretty good... a bagel or
>english muffin with a schmear and grape jelly is a classic.

No grape jelly for me... any other flavor is fine.

>I prefer
>Freedom Toast with grape jelly rather than maple syrup...

<snip rant>

Not sure how you made the leap from cream cheese to maple syrup - but
in the future, I'll take your share of maple syrup and you can have my
share of grape jelly.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:44:30 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>I just had some spread on banana bread for breakfast. It's also
>terrific on zucchini or pumpkin bread.

That appeals! Yummy

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> I have a couple packages of cream cheese that I usually use for dips
> or cheesecake, but do not plan to use them for that. I want to use
> them for a main entree for something for supper,but cannot think of
> anything. Any suggestions? Could you put it in lasanga instead of
> cottage cheese? I will also search for cream cheese recipes.

I sometimes substitute half the cheese in Mac & cheese with cream
cheese. Cream cheese is also great in mashed potatoes.

For lunch, I recommend slicing green olives stuffed with either pimento
or garlic and mixing those with cream cheese, then spread thickly on
lightly toasted crusty bread.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:00:11 -0400, "Van" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>>I have a couple packages of cream cheese that I usually use for dips
>> or cheesecake, but do not plan to use them for that. I want to use
>> them for a main entree for something for supper,but cannot think of
>> anything. Any suggestions? Could you put it in lasanga instead of
>> cottage cheese? I will also search for cream cheese recipes.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tom

>I LOVE cream cheese on Hot Dogs!
>
>Van

dear god, another hot dog county heard from.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:44:30 -0600, Gloria P >

>> I have a couple packages of cream cheese that I usually use for dips
>> or cheesecake, but do not plan to use them for that. I want to use
>> them for a main entree for something for supper,but cannot think of
>> anything. Any suggestions? Could you put it in lasanga instead of
>> cottage cheese? I will also search for cream cheese recipes.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tom

>In lasagne? I think it might melt too easily.
>
>You could use it in a quiche or savory cheesecake, or layer it in an
>omelet. On a baked potato. In a cream soup.
>
>You could make a sauce of it to serve over vegetables.
>
>I just had some spread on banana bread for breakfast. It's also
>terrific on zucchini or pumpkin bread.
>
>gloria p
>never met a cream cheese she didn't like

i like cream cheese well enough, but i seem to have a mental block
against cooking it. for example, crab rangoon sounds like a
spectacularly bad idea to me. or jalapeño poppers filled with cream
cheese.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:44:30 -0600, Gloria P >
> wrote:

> i like cream cheese well enough, but i seem to have a mental block
> against cooking it. for example, crab rangoon sounds like a
> spectacularly bad idea to me. or jalapeño poppers filled with cream
> cheese.

Where do you stand on cheese danish?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:196dnTB7g-
:

> Where do you stand on cheese danish?
>
> nancy

Being a little anal about shoe cleanliness I don't stand on any
danishes....

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:196dnTB7g-
:

> Where do you stand on cheese danish?
>
> nancy

Being a little anal about shoe cleanliness I don't stand on any
danishes....

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> i like cream cheese well enough, but i seem to have a mental block
> against cooking it. for example, crab rangoon sounds like a
> spectacularly bad idea to me. or jalapeño poppers filled with cream
> cheese.
>
> your pal,
> blake

That's an interesting comment, because I have recently found
myself thinking that mini peppers or chiles could be used for a
crab Rangoon-type stuffing. Not that I like crab Rangoon. Well
that's probably more because of my thoughts re authentic Asian
cuisine.
--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<pardon the snip>

Maple syrup is no more a natural food
product than knox gelatin... both are so altered in the manufacturing
process that neither has any resempbance whatsoever to real food...
save your dollars and use artificial maple syrup, it tastes
consistantly better too. There is really no way to know what/who's in
so called real maple syrup anyway it's a mystery product... doncha
think if it were an honest product there wouldn't exist all those
gubermint certifying agencies... supposedly overseeing the
manufacture, yeah, right... government.

The best way to buy maple syrup is from a local vendor in NY, VT, NH, etc.,
preferably one that you know and has been in business for as long as you can
remember. AND what many do not know is that there are several different
grades/colors of syrups.

The stuff in the stupidmarket aint MAPLE syrup-it's a conglomeration of lots
of crap toegther with corn syrup and stuff you can't pronounce.

I helped a friend make it many years ago. It's NOT something for the average
weekend warrior to do. Picture sap in your hair, in your nose, in every
orifice and everything you wear has to be thrown away at the end.
Figure 40 gals of sap for ONE gallon of syrup-boiled slowly over a hot fire
that continually needs attention. And it aint one afternoons work-it takes
forever.

Is it WORTH IT? Yes if you have never done it before. Just to have it in
your hand and say 'I made this'. But to do it on an annual basis? I'll defer
to the locals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:28:24 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:44:30 -0600, Gloria P >
>> wrote:

>> i like cream cheese well enough, but i seem to have a mental block
>> against cooking it. for example, crab rangoon sounds like a
>> spectacularly bad idea to me. or jalapeño poppers filled with cream
>> cheese.

>Where do you stand on cheese danish?
>
>nancy

don't eat much of that, frankly. i guess i should have excluded baked
goods from my statement. i don't eat much cheesecake either, but the
idea doesn't strike me as wrong.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:57:46 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>> i like cream cheese well enough, but i seem to have a mental block
>> against cooking it. for example, crab rangoon sounds like a
>> spectacularly bad idea to me. or jalapeño poppers filled with cream
>> cheese.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>That's an interesting comment, because I have recently found
>myself thinking that mini peppers or chiles could be used for a
>crab Rangoon-type stuffing. Not that I like crab Rangoon. Well
>that's probably more because of my thoughts re authentic Asian
>cuisine.

i guess that's part of my thinking also. it seems to cry out
'tourist.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote:

> i like cream cheese well enough, but i seem to have a mental block
> against cooking it. for example, crab rangoon sounds like a
> spectacularly bad idea to me. or jalapeño poppers filled with cream
> cheese.

A friend of mine made the comment that when cream cheese is in a dish (we
were in a sushi restaurant at the time), it tends to dominate the flavors so
that it's the only thing he tastes.

Bob

REC: (cream cheese) Chutney Cheese Ball Wayne Boatwright[_3_] General Cooking 0 22-12-2007 10:37 PM
Alpine Cheese Supper (Raclette) J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 23-07-2007 12:24 PM
Entree Vous ms_peacock General Cooking 72 19-03-2006 02:27 AM
entree vous bulka General Cooking 7 17-03-2006 07:04 AM
Elkhart County Fair Ist Place Strawberry Cream Cheese Ice Cream [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 11-07-2005 04:42 AM