Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The antipasto platter

I took my wife out for dinner last night for her birthday. We tried the
restaurant in one of the local golf courses. It was a nice place and the
dining room faced a small lake and also overlooked the 9th and 18th
holes. The menu had an interesting variety of dishes and was very
reasonably priced. We had a hard time deciding what to get for an
appetizer and opted for the antipasto platter. We were amazed at what
arrived at our table. The waitress brought a plank measuring about 16"
by 20" that had even more on than was indicated on the menu, and way
more than I had expected for a platter for two. There was a pile of
calamari with a terrific roasted red pepper aeoli, 6 slices of smoked
duck breast, a pile of proscuitto, 8 slices of cured duck meat, a pile
or roasted red peppers, a pile of roasted yellow peppers, about a dozen
cubes of Assiago on a bed of greens 8 balls of Bocconcini and a pile of
small olives along with some Calamata olives.

By the time we finished the platter I was tempted to cancel my dinner
order. The antipasto platter alone would have been a meal, and at $16 I
don't think I could have prepared one at home for the price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> By the time we finished the platter I was tempted to cancel my dinner
> order. The antipasto platter alone would have been a meal, and at $16 I
> don't think I could have prepared one at home for the price.

I bet you go back. Aren't pleasant surprises wonderful? Especially on a
birthday.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>I took my wife out for dinner last night for her birthday. We tried the
>restaurant in one of the local golf courses. It was a nice place and the
>dining room faced a small lake and also overlooked the 9th and 18th holes.
>The menu had an interesting variety of dishes and was very reasonably
>priced. We had a hard time deciding what to get for an appetizer and opted
>for the antipasto platter. We were amazed at what arrived at our table. The
>waitress brought a plank measuring about 16" by 20" that had even more on
>than was indicated on the menu, and way more than I had expected for a
>platter for two. There was a pile of calamari with a terrific roasted red
>pepper aeoli, 6 slices of smoked duck breast, a pile of proscuitto, 8
>slices of cured duck meat, a pile or roasted red peppers, a pile of roasted
>yellow peppers, about a dozen cubes of Assiago on a bed of greens 8 balls
>of Bocconcini and a pile of small olives along with some Calamata olives.
>
> By the time we finished the platter I was tempted to cancel my dinner
> order. The antipasto platter alone would have been a meal, and at $16 I
> don't think I could have prepared one at home for the price.

In both Rome and Puglia where antipasto buffets are beautiful and generous,
I never eat more than that. To me it is just so American to nibble at many
small different things. I happily indulge.
At home I usually serve only one or two things, because I can't handle all
those dishes coming off just before the first course! If only I could
convince Italians to eat with their hands from a common platter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:35:50 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > ha scritto nel messaggio
m...

<snip>
>> By the time we finished the platter I was tempted to cancel my dinner
>> order. The antipasto platter alone would have been a meal, and at $16 I
>> don't think I could have prepared one at home for the price.

>In both Rome and Puglia where antipasto buffets are beautiful and generous,
>I never eat more than that. To me it is just so American to nibble at many
>small different things. I happily indulge.
>At home I usually serve only one or two things, because I can't handle all
>those dishes coming off just before the first course! If only I could
>convince Italians to eat with their hands from a common platter.

i didn't know they were reluctant to do so - it doesn't seem to fit
any preconceptions of a 'national character'. any idea why?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> I took my wife out for dinner last night for her birthday. We tried the
> restaurant in one of the local golf courses. It was a nice place and the
> dining room faced a small lake and also overlooked the 9th and 18th
> holes. The menu had an interesting variety of dishes and was very
> reasonably priced. We had a hard time deciding what to get for an
> appetizer and opted for the antipasto platter. We were amazed at what
> arrived at our table. The waitress brought a plank measuring about 16"
> by 20" that had even more on than was indicated on the menu, and way
> more than I had expected for a platter for two. There was a pile of
> calamari with a terrific roasted red pepper aeoli, 6 slices of smoked
> duck breast, a pile of proscuitto, 8 slices of cured duck meat, a pile
> or roasted red peppers, a pile of roasted yellow peppers, about a dozen
> cubes of Assiago on a bed of greens 8 balls of Bocconcini and a pile of
> small olives along with some Calamata olives.
>
> By the time we finished the platter I was tempted to cancel my dinner
> order. The antipasto platter alone would have been a meal, and at $16 I
> don't think I could have prepared one at home for the price.

Where was this? Sounds very nice. We order antipasto platters quite a
bit and most of the time they are disappointing. Looks like you
discovered a great find!

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:35:50 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:

If only I could
>>convince Italians to eat with their hands from a common platter.
>>

> i didn't know they were reluctant to do so - it doesn't seem to fit
> any preconceptions of a 'national character'. any idea why?
>
> your pal,
> blake

They are reluctant to touch their food. Even a little bar sandwich snack is
wrapped in two napkins to eat. The first time I served cheeseburgers they
were disassembled into parts and eaten with fork and knife. I think it is
considered childish and a far la brutta figura to use the hands.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>I took my wife out for dinner last night for her birthday. We tried the
>restaurant in one of the local golf courses. It was a nice place and the
>dining room faced a small lake and also overlooked the 9th and 18th holes.
>The menu had an interesting variety of dishes and was very reasonably
>priced. We had a hard time deciding what to get for an appetizer and opted
>for the antipasto platter. We were amazed at what arrived at our table. The
>waitress brought a plank measuring about 16" by 20" that had even more on
>than was indicated on the menu, and way more than I had expected for a
>platter for two. There was a pile of calamari with a terrific roasted red
>pepper aeoli, 6 slices of smoked duck breast, a pile of proscuitto, 8
>slices of cured duck meat, a pile or roasted red peppers, a pile of roasted
>yellow peppers, about a dozen cubes of Assiago on a bed of greens 8 balls
>of Bocconcini and a pile of small olives along with some Calamata olives.
>
> By the time we finished the platter I was tempted to cancel my dinner
> order. The antipasto platter alone would have been a meal, and at $16 I
> don't think I could have prepared one at home for the price.

There is another possibility.

They wanted to get rid of a bunch of food.

I used to work near a Hyatt hotel and their coffee shop/restaurant was a
lunchtime favorite.

At that time they had scrambles eggs, lox & onions on the breakfast menu
(served all day).

Here was the "trick"

Order the lox & eggs & onions but ask for the lox on the side.

I am not sure of the knowledge of the cooks but I would get scrambled eggs &
onions with hash browns, a toasted Bagel, sliced tomatoes, some cream cheese
and about a half a pound of lox -

I kid you not there had to be $15.00 worth of lox on the plate.

It was a very goyisha neighborhood.

:-)

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:07:39 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .
>> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:35:50 +0200, "Giusi" >
>> wrote:

> If only I could
>>>convince Italians to eat with their hands from a common platter.
>>>

>> i didn't know they were reluctant to do so - it doesn't seem to fit
>> any preconceptions of a 'national character'. any idea why?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>They are reluctant to touch their food. Even a little bar sandwich snack is
>wrapped in two napkins to eat. The first time I served cheeseburgers they
>were disassembled into parts and eaten with fork and knife. I think it is
>considered childish and a far la brutta figura to use the hands.

that's a new one on me - i never thought of italians as being that
dainty at the table. they must freak the hell out when they come over
here.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > >>They are reluctant to touch
their food. Even a little bar sandwich snack is
>>wrapped in two napkins to eat. The first time I served cheeseburgers they
>>were disassembled into parts and eaten with fork and knife. I think it is
>>considered childish and a far la brutta figura to use the hands.
>>

> that's a new one on me - i never thought of italians as being that
> dainty at the table. they must freak the hell out when they come over
> here.
>
> your pal,
> blake

In general, I find Italians like Americans and find them a bit childish--
like we never stop playing and are not so very dignified. They may be
right. I love my Super Mario Brothers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> They are reluctant to touch their food. Even a little bar sandwich snack is
> wrapped in two napkins to eat. The first time I served cheeseburgers they
> were disassembled into parts and eaten with fork and knife. I think it is
> considered childish and a far la brutta figura to use the hands.

My mother never allowed us children to eat with our hands. We had to use
utensils, if we wanted to eat. Her mother was the same way, and she was
French. I wondered where this came from. It is still difficult for me
to eat foods like hot dogs or pizza, without using a fork.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:35:46 -0500, Becca >
wrote:

>Giusi wrote:
>
>> They are reluctant to touch their food. Even a little bar sandwich snack is
>> wrapped in two napkins to eat. The first time I served cheeseburgers they
>> were disassembled into parts and eaten with fork and knife. I think it is
>> considered childish and a far la brutta figura to use the hands.

>My mother never allowed us children to eat with our hands. We had to use
>utensils, if we wanted to eat. Her mother was the same way, and she was
>French. I wondered where this came from. It is still difficult for me
>to eat foods like hot dogs or pizza, without using a fork.
>
>Becca

I was listening to a neighbor rant about her grandchildren over the
weekend. She said she had to make them use a spoon to eat cereal.
UUUGGGH!

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 3:35�pm, Becca > wrote:
> Giusi wrote:
> > They are reluctant to touch their food. �Even a little bar sandwich snack is
> > wrapped in two napkins to eat. �The first time I served cheeseburgers they
> > were disassembled into parts and eaten with fork and knife. �I think it is
> > considered childish and a far la brutta figura to use the hands.

> My mother never allowed us children to eat with our hands. We had to use
> utensils, if we wanted to eat. Her mother was the same way, and she was
> French. �I wondered where this came from. �It is still difficult for me
> to eat foods like hot dogs or pizza, without using a fork.
>
> Becca

think about a bowl of fruit on the tabel, and cut up and eaten at the
end of a meal. Very adeptly too. Sometime dipped into a bowl of water,
also using utensils too.

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MayQueen wrote:

> > By the time we finished the platter I was tempted to cancel my dinner
> > order. The antipasto platter alone would have been a meal, and at $16 I
> > don't think I could have prepared one at home for the price.

> Where was this? Sounds very nice. We order antipasto platters quite a
> bit and most of the time they are disappointing. Looks like you
> discovered a great find!

Unfortunately, it is in Welland, Ont. Here is a link to the menu and they
show the antipasto platter, But there was more on it that it shows in the
picture. There was way more olives than the picture shows, more of the two
types of cheese, and the picture doesn't show the calamari.

http://www.lochnesslinks.com/?page=15295

This link to the course site shows the building with the lake and holes in
front of it.
http://www.lochnesslinks.com/?page=9190

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> They are reluctant to touch their food. Even a little bar sandwich snack is
> wrapped in two napkins to eat. The first time I served cheeseburgers they
> were disassembled into parts and eaten with fork and knife. I think it is
> considered childish and a far la brutta figura to use the hands.

When we have European visitors I always like to serve corn on the cob :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:48:19 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Giusi wrote:
>
>> They are reluctant to touch their food. Even a little bar sandwich snack is
>> wrapped in two napkins to eat. The first time I served cheeseburgers they
>> were disassembled into parts and eaten with fork and knife. I think it is
>> considered childish and a far la brutta figura to use the hands.

>When we have European visitors I always like to serve corn on the cob :-)

If you give them those little stabber handles to use, you won't offend
their delicate sensibilities and they can say they've eaten corn
American style.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Giusi wrote:
>
>> They are reluctant to touch their food. Even a little bar sandwich
>> snack is wrapped in two napkins to eat. The first time I served
>> cheeseburgers they were disassembled into parts and eaten with fork
>> and knife. I think it is considered childish and a far la brutta
>> figura to use the hands.

> When we have European visitors I always like to serve corn on the cob
> :-)

But we have wee holders you know <g> Like wee forks that stick into the
ends with which to pick up the corn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:48:19 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Giusi wrote:
>>
>>> They are reluctant to touch their food. Even a little bar sandwich
>>> snack is wrapped in two napkins to eat. The first time I served
>>> cheeseburgers they were disassembled into parts and eaten with fork
>>> and knife. I think it is considered childish and a far la brutta
>>> figura to use the hands.

>> When we have European visitors I always like to serve corn on the
>> cob :-)
>>

> If you give them those little stabber handles to use, you won't offend
> their delicate sensibilities and they can say they've eaten corn
> American style.

LOL indeed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:23:56 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>> Giusi wrote:
>>
>>> They are reluctant to touch their food. Even a little bar sandwich
>>> snack is wrapped in two napkins to eat. The first time I served
>>> cheeseburgers they were disassembled into parts and eaten with fork
>>> and knife. I think it is considered childish and a far la brutta
>>> figura to use the hands.

>> When we have European visitors I always like to serve corn on the cob
>> :-)

>But we have wee holders you know <g> Like wee forks that stick into the
>ends with which to pick up the corn.

So, you guys have those over there? How much corn on the cob do you
really eat? Fess up, girl!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:23:56 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> When we have European visitors I always like to serve corn on the
>>> cob :-)

>> But we have wee holders you know <g> Like wee forks that stick into
>> the ends with which to pick up the corn.
>>

> So, you guys have those over there? How much corn on the cob do you
> really eat? Fess up, girl!

Heh, I have two in the fridge at this very moment. I must tell you that I
cannot remember the last time I had any though. Possibly it was this thread
that prompted me to buy them)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:05:42 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:23:56 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>> But we have wee holders you know <g> Like wee forks that stick into
>>> the ends with which to pick up the corn.
>>>

>> So, you guys have those over there? How much corn on the cob do you
>> really eat? Fess up, girl!

>Heh, I have two in the fridge at this very moment. I must tell you that I
>cannot remember the last time I had any though. Possibly it was this thread
>that prompted me to buy them)

For corn on the cob to be any good, it must be eaten within 24 hours
of picking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:05:42 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> So, you guys have those over there? How much corn on the cob do you
>>> really eat? Fess up, girl!

>> Heh, I have two in the fridge at this very moment. I must tell you
>> that I cannot remember the last time I had any though. Possibly it
>> was this thread that prompted me to buy them)
>>

> For corn on the cob to be any good, it must be eaten within 24 hours
> of picking.

Oh dear. Must I throw them away? I have no idea when they were picked

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 23 Jul 2008 11:15:14a, Ophelia told us...

> The Cook wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:05:42 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>> Heh, I have two in the fridge at this very moment. I must tell you
>>> that I cannot remember the last time I had any though. Possibly it
>>> was this thread that prompted me to buy them)
>>>

>> For corn on the cob to be any good, it must be eaten within 24 hours
>> of picking.

> Oh dear. Must I throw them away? I have no idea when they were picked:

(

No, of course not, unless the kernals have a sunken look to them. If
they're still plump, boil on the cob or cut off the cob and cook with a bit
of cream. Taste first. If the corn doesn't taste sweet enough, there's
nothing wrong with adding a bit of sugar to the cooking water.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 07(VII)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> No, of course not, unless the kernals have a sunken look to them. If
> they're still plump, boil on the cob or cut off the cob and cook with
> a bit of cream. Taste first. If the corn doesn't taste sweet
> enough, there's nothing wrong with adding a bit of sugar to the
> cooking water.

They are very plump and golden

Will let you know if they are sweet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 23 Jul 2008 12:29:57p, Ophelia told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> No, of course not, unless the kernals have a sunken look to them. If
>> they're still plump, boil on the cob or cut off the cob and cook with
>> a bit of cream. Taste first. If the corn doesn't taste sweet
>> enough, there's nothing wrong with adding a bit of sugar to the
>> cooking water.

> They are very plump and golden
>
> Will let you know if they are sweet

I'll be waiting...

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 07(VII)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
My keyboard has an F1 key. Where is
the NASCAR key?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 23 Jul 2008 12:29:57p, Ophelia told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> No, of course not, unless the kernals have a sunken look to them.
>>> If they're still plump, boil on the cob or cut off the cob and cook
>>> with a bit of cream. Taste first. If the corn doesn't taste sweet
>>> enough, there's nothing wrong with adding a bit of sugar to the
>>> cooking water.

>> They are very plump and golden
>>
>> Will let you know if they are sweet

> I'll be waiting...

thanks Wayne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

> They are reluctant to touch their food. Even a little bar sandwich snack is
> wrapped in two napkins to eat. The first time I served cheeseburgers they
> were disassembled into parts and eaten with fork and knife. I think it is
> considered childish and a far la brutta figura to use the hands.

How about such dishes as costolette d'abbacchio/agnello alla scottadito?

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>>For corn on the cob to be any good, it must be eaten within 24 hours
>>>of picking.

>>Oh dear. Must I throw them away? I have no idea when they were picked:

> (
>
> No, of course not, unless the kernals have a sunken look to them. If
> they're still plump, boil on the cob or cut off the cob and cook with a bit
> of cream. Taste first. If the corn doesn't taste sweet enough, there's
> nothing wrong with adding a bit of sugar to the cooking water.

Or,

You can chop up some nice sweet vidalia onion, sautee it in some butter
until tender. Slice the corn kernels off the cob, add to the pan.
Scrape the cobs over the pan to release the remaining milk. Cook and
stir until the kernels are tender and the juices have thickened
slightly. Add a splash of heavy cream, maybe a tablespoon or two. Add
a dash of chipotle chili powder for a little warmth in the mouth. Taste
for salt. If it's not quite as sweet as fresh creamed corn should be,
cheat by adding a tiny bit of white sugar, but between the sweet onions
and the corn itself you shouldn't have to.

I ate some corn on the cob down in Mexico that, objectively, should have
been just plain unacceptable. It was big and old and tough - well on
its way to being horse corn. But we were starving and the smell of it
grilling in the husk over a wood fire lured us in. When the vendor
asked us how we wanted it, I shrugged and replied, "Tenemos mucho
hambre. Que es mas bueno?" (Broken spanish works just fine if you smile).

So he got us some ears of corn, stripped back the husks and doctored
them up with butter, salt, lime juice and chili powder, and oh lord, it
was coarse and tough and chewy and tasted like heaven. Hunger is the
best seasoning.

When we finished our corn he pointed to a pile of green coconuts and
waggled his eyebrows inquiringly. Being sunburned and dehydrated and
skeert to drink the water (we'd been making due with Coke and beer), we
nodded emphatically and he whacked the tops off of some so we could
drink the sweet juice, then chopped them open and cut out the meat for
us to eat. Again, sheer heaven.

Of course, if I went out to lunch tomorrow and somebody served me up
something like that I'd be fairly annoyed. But we was young and we was
po ("po" is what you are when you can't even afford the extra "o" and
the "r") and we were on an adventure and we filled our bellies for a
couple of bucks.

When I'm feeling nostalgic I'll grill sweet corn and serve it up with
butter and salt and chili and lime, and it's better than what we had but
still not nearly as good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..
> Giusi > wrote:
>
>> They are reluctant to touch their food. Even a little bar sandwich snack
>> is
>> wrapped in two napkins to eat. The first time I served cheeseburgers
>> they
>> were disassembled into parts and eaten with fork and knife. I think it
>> is
>> considered childish and a far la brutta figura to use the hands.

> How about such dishes as costolette d'abbacchio/agnello alla scottadito?
>
> Victor

Obviously something valled scorch the fingers is somewhat of an exception,
but I have seen people eat it with a fork and knife!

I said I find Italians reluctant and I do. All Italians do not refuse all
the time to use their fingers. I think many Americans will eat street food
and never think about washing their hands. I don't think Italians are
confident to do that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:

>>> Oh dear. Must I throw them away? I have no idea when they were
>>> picked:

>> (
>>
>> No, of course not, unless the kernals have a sunken look to them. If
>> they're still plump, boil on the cob or cut off the cob and cook
>> with a bit of cream. Taste first. If the corn doesn't taste sweet
>> enough, there's nothing wrong with adding a bit of sugar to the
>> cooking water.

> Or,
>
> You can chop up some nice sweet vidalia onion, sautee it in some
> butter until tender. Slice the corn kernels off the cob, add to the
> pan. Scrape the cobs over the pan to release the remaining milk. Cook and
> stir until the kernels are tender and the juices have thickened
> slightly. Add a splash of heavy cream, maybe a tablespoon or two. Add a
> dash of chipotle chili powder for a little warmth in the mouth. Taste for
> salt. If it's not quite as sweet as fresh creamed corn
> should be, cheat by adding a tiny bit of white sugar, but between the
> sweet onions and the corn itself you shouldn't have to.
>
> I ate some corn on the cob down in Mexico that, objectively, should
> have been just plain unacceptable. It was big and old and tough -
> well on its way to being horse corn. But we were starving and the smell
> of it
> grilling in the husk over a wood fire lured us in. When the vendor
> asked us how we wanted it, I shrugged and replied, "Tenemos mucho
> hambre. Que es mas bueno?" (Broken spanish works just fine if you
> smile).
> So he got us some ears of corn, stripped back the husks and doctored
> them up with butter, salt, lime juice and chili powder, and oh lord,
> it was coarse and tough and chewy and tasted like heaven. Hunger is
> the best seasoning.
>
> When we finished our corn he pointed to a pile of green coconuts and
> waggled his eyebrows inquiringly. Being sunburned and dehydrated and
> skeert to drink the water (we'd been making due with Coke and beer),
> we nodded emphatically and he whacked the tops off of some so we could
> drink the sweet juice, then chopped them open and cut out the meat for
> us to eat. Again, sheer heaven.
>
> Of course, if I went out to lunch tomorrow and somebody served me up
> something like that I'd be fairly annoyed. But we was young and we
> was po ("po" is what you are when you can't even afford the extra "o"
> and the "r") and we were on an adventure and we filled our bellies for a
> couple of bucks.
>
> When I'm feeling nostalgic I'll grill sweet corn and serve it up with
> butter and salt and chili and lime, and it's better than what we had
> but still not nearly as good.

Wonderful story Kathleen Thank you for sharing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eating Manually

Becca wrote (I started a new thread):

> My mother never allowed us children to eat with our hands. We had to use
> utensils, if we wanted to eat. Her mother was the same way, and she was
> French. I wondered where this came from. It is still difficult for me to
> eat foods like hot dogs or pizza, without using a fork.

Ribs, tacos, egg rolls, and hot dogs are NOT AS GOOD if you don't eat them
with your hands. Sushi is MEANT to be finger food; eating sushi with
chopsticks is a sign of cultural ignorance. Many Indians will express a
similar feeling regarding eating curry with rice: It's *better* if you eat
with your hands.

I'd never heard of the Italian aversion to eating with their hands before.
Is the attitude taken because Italians don't want to get their hands dirty,
or because they believe their hands *are* dirty, and they don't want to
contaminate the food? (I note that hands are often the most pathogen-laden
parts of the body, so I don't mean any ethnic slur by the second part of
that question.)

Bob, remembering that kili uses chopsticks to eat egg rolls

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Becca wrote (I started a new thread):
>
>> My mother never allowed us children to eat with our hands. We had to use
>> utensils, if we wanted to eat. Her mother was the same way, and she was
>> French. I wondered where this came from. It is still difficult for me
>> to eat foods like hot dogs or pizza, without using a fork.

What did you use to eat potato chips? Popcorn? m&ms? Did you have to
cut big pickles with a knife and eat the pieces with a fork?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger said...

> Becca wrote (I started a new thread):
>
>> My mother never allowed us children to eat with our hands. We had to
>> use utensils, if we wanted to eat. Her mother was the same way, and she
>> was French. I wondered where this came from. It is still difficult
>> for me to eat foods like hot dogs or pizza, without using a fork.

> Ribs, tacos, egg rolls, and hot dogs are NOT AS GOOD if you don't eat
> them with your hands. Sushi is MEANT to be finger food; eating sushi
> with chopsticks is a sign of cultural ignorance. Many Indians will
> express a similar feeling regarding eating curry with rice: It's
> *better* if you eat with your hands.
>
> I'd never heard of the Italian aversion to eating with their hands
> before. Is the attitude taken because Italians don't want to get their
> hands dirty, or because they believe their hands *are* dirty, and they
> don't want to contaminate the food? (I note that hands are often the
> most pathogen-laden parts of the body, so I don't mean any ethnic slur
> by the second part of that question.)
>
> Bob, remembering that kili uses chopsticks to eat egg rolls

I suck at using chopsticks, dammit!!! I'm not adverse to using
chopsticks to shovel rice or pho down, though a fork serves me better,
admittedly.

Andy
Pho 75
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Let's asl Vilco about Eating Manually

--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com
"Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio >
Becca wrote (I started a new thread):

>> My mother never allowed us children to eat with our hands.

> I'd never heard of the Italian aversion to eating with their hands before.
> Is the attitude taken because Italians don't want to get their hands
> dirty, or because they believe their hands *are* dirty, and they don't
> want to contaminate the food?
> Bob

I don't know, but would guess the second.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Becca wrote (I started a new thread):
>
>> My mother never allowed us children to eat with our hands. We had to
>> use utensils, if we wanted to eat. Her mother was the same way, and
>> she was French. I wondered where this came from. It is still
>> difficult for me to eat foods like hot dogs or pizza, without using
>> a fork.

> Ribs, tacos, egg rolls, and hot dogs are NOT AS GOOD if you don't eat
> them with your hands. Sushi is MEANT to be finger food; eating sushi
> with chopsticks is a sign of cultural ignorance. Many Indians will
> express a similar feeling regarding eating curry with rice: It's
> *better* if you eat with your hands.
>
> I'd never heard of the Italian aversion to eating with their hands
> before. Is the attitude taken because Italians don't want to get
> their hands dirty, or because they believe their hands *are* dirty,
> and they don't want to contaminate the food? (I note that hands are
> often the most pathogen-laden parts of the body, so I don't mean any
> ethnic slur by the second part of that question.)
>
> Bob, remembering that kili uses chopsticks to eat egg rolls

I've used chopsticks to eat just about everything - even ribs! <g>

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My favourite Ann Landers article, I pointed out to my mother, who liked to
quote the paper, to my annoyance.

A reader had sent in a question: When is it improper to eat chicken with
your fingers?

Anns response: When it has been pureed.

Mom didn't laugh. I did- heartily.

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Becca wrote (I started a new thread):
>
>> My mother never allowed us children to eat with our hands. We had to use
>> utensils, if we wanted to eat. Her mother was the same way, and she was
>> French. I wondered where this came from. It is still difficult for me
>> eat foods like hot dogs or pizza, without using a fork.

> Ribs, tacos, egg rolls, and hot dogs are NOT AS GOOD if you don't eat them
> with your hands. Sushi is MEANT to be finger food; eating sushi with
> chopsticks is a sign of cultural ignorance. Many Indians will express a
> similar feeling regarding eating curry with rice: It's *better* if you eat
> with your hands.
>
> I'd never heard of the Italian aversion to eating with their hands before.
> Is the attitude taken because Italians don't want to get their hands
> dirty, or because they believe their hands *are* dirty, and they don't
> want to contaminate the food? (I note that hands are often the most
> pathogen-laden parts of the body, so I don't mean any ethnic slur by the
> second part of that question.)
>
> Bob, remembering that kili uses chopsticks to eat egg rolls

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Becca wrote (I started a new thread):
>
>> My mother never allowed us children to eat with our hands. We had to use
>> utensils, if we wanted to eat. Her mother was the same way, and she was
>> French. I wondered where this came from. It is still difficult for
>> me to
>> eat foods like hot dogs or pizza, without using a fork.

> Ribs, tacos, egg rolls, and hot dogs are NOT AS GOOD if you don't eat them
> with your hands. Sushi is MEANT to be finger food; eating sushi with
> chopsticks is a sign of cultural ignorance.

Really? I never saw anyone in Tokyo eating sushi with their hands, only
with chopsticks. And I've never seen this assertion before.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ralph wrote:
> My favourite Ann Landers article, I pointed out to my mother, who liked
> to quote the paper, to my annoyance.
>
> A reader had sent in a question: When is it improper to eat chicken
> with your fingers?
>
> Anns response: When it has been pureed.

Miss Manners says it's okay to do finger food at home, among your close
family, but that utensils should always be used at other times.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>> Ribs, tacos, egg rolls, and hot dogs are NOT AS GOOD if you don't
>> eat them with your hands. Sushi is MEANT to be finger food; eating
>> sushi with chopsticks is a sign of cultural ignorance.

> Really? I never saw anyone in Tokyo eating sushi with their hands,
> only with chopsticks. And I've never seen this assertion before.
>
> Serene

I, personally, wouldn't want to dip my sushi in shoyu with my fingers.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>> Becca wrote (I started a new thread):
>>
>>> My mother never allowed us children to eat with our hands. We had to use
>>> utensils, if we wanted to eat. Her mother was the same way, and she was
>>> French. I wondered where this came from. It is still difficult for me
>>> to eat foods like hot dogs or pizza, without using a fork.

> What did you use to eat potato chips? Popcorn? m&ms? Did you have to
> cut big pickles with a knife and eat the pieces with a fork?

If we were on foot, we ate it however we wanted to. If we were sitting
at the dining room table, we used utensils.

Keep in mind, this is the same woman who stands on a toilet seat. lol

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote on Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:38:07 -0700:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Becca wrote (I started a new thread):
>>
>>> My mother never allowed us children to eat with our hands.
>>> We had to use utensils, if we wanted to eat. Her mother was the same
>>> way, and she was French. I wondered where this
>>> came from. It is still difficult for me to eat foods like
>>> hot dogs or pizza, without using a fork.

>> Ribs, tacos, egg rolls, and hot dogs are NOT AS GOOD if you
>> don't eat them with your hands. Sushi is MEANT to be finger
>> food; eating sushi with chopsticks is a sign of cultural
>> ignorance.

> Really? I never saw anyone in Tokyo eating sushi with their
> hands, only with chopsticks. And I've never seen this
> assertion before.

I think there is a disparity between tradition and current practice. I
suspect, like me, a lot of Japanese don't like to get their fingers
dirty while eating. However, there's a story about the original sushi
stalls in market places in Japan. It was best to chose the stall with
the dirtiest curtains because it was probably the most popular. Patrons
would rinse their fingers in the supplied tea and wipe them on the
curtain before leaving.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Men-On-A-Silver-Platter!!! LeeAnne General 0 06-06-2009 03:19 AM
Antipasto Platter Duckie ® Recipes 0 05-12-2005 09:31 PM
Is it a platter and sandwich Stan Horwitz General Cooking 38 07-11-2005 07:08 PM
Antipasto Platter - recipes (long) Bronwyn General Cooking 8 05-07-2005 02:08 AM