FoodBanter.com

-   -   How long does flour last? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/158979-how-long-does-flour.html)

Andy[_2_] 19-07-2008 10:05 PM

How long does flour last?

Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
probably.

Looks good, feels good.

What say you?

Thanks,

Andy

sf[_3_] 19-07-2008 10:08 PM

How long does flour last?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:05:13 -0500, Andy q wrote:

How long does flour last?

Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
probably.

Looks good, feels good.

What say you?

I say if it smells good and there are no bugs, use it.... or throw it
in the freezer.

Mae West

Pete C. 19-07-2008 10:15 PM

How long does flour last?

sf wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:05:13 -0500, Andy q wrote:

How long does flour last?

Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
probably.

Looks good, feels good.

What say you?

I say if it smells good and there are no bugs, use it.... or throw it
in the freezer.

Freezer is supposed to be the best storage for whole flours with higher
fat contents. Can't hurt for others and certainly should eliminate any
bug issues as well.

Andy[_2_] 19-07-2008 10:18 PM

How long does flour last?

said...

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:05:13 -0500, Andy q wrote:

How long does flour last?

Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
probably.

Looks good, feels good.

What say you?

I say if it smells good and there are no bugs, use it.... or throw it
in the freezer.

sf,

It's been on the kitchen window sill, next to my kitchen angel all this
time.

I'll toss it. Unopened, I can't smell it.

I'm anxious to make pasta or spaetzle but I'll only get fat again. ;)

Best,

Andy
Sitting still at 6'3", 196 lbs.

Gloria P 20-07-2008 01:21 AM

How long does flour last?

Andy wrote:
How long does flour last?

Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
probably.

Looks good, feels good.

Flour can get buggy (you'd see those) or rancid (you'd smell or taste
the rancidity.) Otherwise I can't think of what would affect it.

I keep mine in the freezer and I don't worry about how old it is.
Never had a problem.

gloria p

Andy[_2_] 20-07-2008 01:35 AM

How long does flour last?

Gloria P said...

Andy wrote:
How long does flour last?

Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
probably.

Looks good, feels good.

Flour can get buggy (you'd see those) or rancid (you'd smell or taste
the rancidity.) Otherwise I can't think of what would affect it.

I keep mine in the freezer and I don't worry about how old it is.
Never had a problem.

gloria p

gloria p,

How does this flour/bug thing happen? If the sack hasn't been open surely
there wouldn't be bugs!?

Right?!?

Andy

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 20-07-2008 01:36 AM

How long does flour last?

On Sat 19 Jul 2008 05:21:34p, Gloria P told us...

Andy wrote:
How long does flour last?

Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
probably.

Looks good, feels good.

Flour can get buggy (you'd see those) or rancid (you'd smell or taste
the rancidity.) Otherwise I can't think of what would affect it.

I keep mine in the freezer and I don't worry about how old it is.
Never had a problem.

gloria p

I keep all my grains and various flours (except bleached all-purpose flour)
in the freezer, as well. The AP flour is fairly resistant to rancidity,
although it can get buggy if not in a well sealed container.

I do think that semolina might risk turning rancid with age, heat,
humidity, etc.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)

George Shirley 20-07-2008 01:37 AM

How long does flour last?

Andy wrote:
Gloria P said...

Andy wrote:
How long does flour last?

Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
probably.

Looks good, feels good.

Flour can get buggy (you'd see those) or rancid (you'd smell or taste
the rancidity.) Otherwise I can't think of what would affect it.

I keep mine in the freezer and I don't worry about how old it is.
Never had a problem.

gloria p

gloria p,

How does this flour/bug thing happen? If the sack hasn't been open surely
there wouldn't be bugs!?

Right?!?

Andy

Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.

Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

Andy[_2_] 20-07-2008 01:50 AM

How long does flour last?

George Shirley said...

Andy wrote:
Gloria P said...

Andy wrote:
[...]

George Shirley,

Oh brother,

Some ray o' sunshine you are! [kidding]

I'll toss it. Still, I don't see anything moving in the sacks.

Best,

Andy

Sheldon 20-07-2008 02:21 AM

How long does flour last?

George Shirley wrote:
Andy wrote:
Gloria P said...
Andy wrote:
[...]

Freezing won't kill bugs, all freezing does is preserve them in their
present state of development... as soon as they are moved to a warmer
location they will once again continue their cycle. Insect eggs and
larva can survive in frozen ground indefinitely. The bugs are in
grain mostly because they are already in the plant at harvest. We eat
hundreds of pounds of such bugs in our lifetime, they won't hurt you,
just adds a little extra protein. Why do you think bakers began
adding seeds, nuts, and twigs to baked goods? In some societies
people consider insects a regular part of their diet.

Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] 20-07-2008 02:27 AM

How long does flour last?

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.

Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

If I see a weevil larva, I pretend I didn't. If I see several, I'm done.
I can buy into the tiny bits of protein part to a point. I don't believe
the eggs hatch inside us and don't worry about them. I live in a dry
enough climate that I've never experienced rancidity in flour. I just
threw out a one pound bag of flour unopened that had been in our travel
trailer for two years. But that was because my wife told me to.
I suppose you could sift them out if you had a mind to. If flour gets
more expensive, expect a run on sifters.

leo

Blinky the Shark 20-07-2008 02:35 AM

How long does flour last?

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.

Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

If I see a weevil larva, I pretend I didn't. If I see several, I'm done.
I can buy into the tiny bits of protein part to a point. I don't believe
the eggs hatch inside us and don't worry about them. I live in a dry
enough climate that I've never experienced rancidity in flour. I just
threw out a one pound bag of flour unopened that had been in our travel
trailer for two years. But that was because my wife told me to.
I suppose you could sift them out if you had a mind to. If flour gets
more expensive, expect a run on sifters.

....or weevil larva recipes. Waste not, want not.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Andy[_2_] 20-07-2008 03:01 AM

How long does flour last?

Sheldon said...

[...]

Depends on how frozen you go!

When we find a tray with a bird specimen that's been eaten apart from bugs,
we transfer the entire tray to the freezer for two weeks.

You don't know squat!

Andy

sf[_3_] 20-07-2008 07:13 AM

How long does flour last?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:01:59 -0500, Andy q wrote:

Sheldon said...

[...]

My SIL learned to kill mold/mildew that grows on art by putting the
affected canvas in a freezer. I think it's a common practice in the
art world. Maybe *some* bugs go into hibernation when they hit the
deep freeze, but not everything does. :)

http://www.pestproducts.com/mediterr...flour_moth.htm

If you have flour or grain moths: Empty all cabinets, drawers and pantries where there is evidence of insects. Try to identify which foodstuff is infested. Throw away any container suspected of being a source. If you are unsure and want to save something which may be infested, place it in Tupperware or zip lock bags. Inspect it a week or two later to see if there is activity or not. You can also freeze food (in a baggy) for 5-10 days to kill any possible pests. Be careful to inspect cans as these pests love to nest on the bottom around the cans rim. The lids of jars or bottles also provide excellent nest sites.

Mae West

sf[_3_] 20-07-2008 07:18 AM

How long does flour last?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:27:34 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
wrote:

If I see a weevil larva, I pretend I didn't. If I see several, I'm done.
I can buy into the tiny bits of protein part to a point.

I've had those moth infestations in the past, but I've never seen a
real larva... so help me Alex (thanks for the expression Schaller).

Mae West