FoodBanter.com

-   -   How long does flour last? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/158979-how-long-does-flour.html)

Andy[_2_] 19-07-2008 10:05 PM

How long does flour last?

Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
probably.

Looks good, feels good.

What say you?

Thanks,

Andy

sf[_3_] 19-07-2008 10:08 PM

How long does flour last?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:05:13 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>How long does flour last?
>
>Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
>probably.
>
>Looks good, feels good.
>
>What say you?

I say if it smells good and there are no bugs, use it.... or throw it
in the freezer.

Mae West

Pete C. 19-07-2008 10:15 PM

How long does flour last?

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:05:13 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
> >How long does flour last?
> >
> >Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
> >probably.
> >
> >Looks good, feels good.
> >
> >What say you?
> >

> I say if it smells good and there are no bugs, use it.... or throw it
> in the freezer.

Freezer is supposed to be the best storage for whole flours with higher
fat contents. Can't hurt for others and certainly should eliminate any
bug issues as well.

Andy[_2_] 19-07-2008 10:18 PM

How long does flour last?

said...

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:05:13 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>How long does flour last?
>>
>>Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
>>probably.
>>
>>Looks good, feels good.
>>
>>What say you?
>>

> I say if it smells good and there are no bugs, use it.... or throw it
> in the freezer.

sf,

It's been on the kitchen window sill, next to my kitchen angel all this
time.

I'll toss it. Unopened, I can't smell it.

I'm anxious to make pasta or spaetzle but I'll only get fat again. ;)

Best,

Andy
Sitting still at 6'3", 196 lbs.

Gloria P 20-07-2008 01:21 AM

How long does flour last?

Andy wrote:
> How long does flour last?
>
> Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
> probably.
>
> Looks good, feels good.

Flour can get buggy (you'd see those) or rancid (you'd smell or taste
the rancidity.) Otherwise I can't think of what would affect it.

I keep mine in the freezer and I don't worry about how old it is.
Never had a problem.

gloria p

Andy[_2_] 20-07-2008 01:35 AM

How long does flour last?

Gloria P said...

> Andy wrote:
>> How long does flour last?
>>
>> Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
>> probably.
>>
>> Looks good, feels good.
>>

> Flour can get buggy (you'd see those) or rancid (you'd smell or taste
> the rancidity.) Otherwise I can't think of what would affect it.
>
> I keep mine in the freezer and I don't worry about how old it is.
> Never had a problem.
>
> gloria p

gloria p,

How does this flour/bug thing happen? If the sack hasn't been open surely
there wouldn't be bugs!?

Right?!?

Andy

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 20-07-2008 01:36 AM

How long does flour last?

On Sat 19 Jul 2008 05:21:34p, Gloria P told us...

> Andy wrote:
>> How long does flour last?
>>
>> Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
>> probably.
>>
>> Looks good, feels good.
>>

> Flour can get buggy (you'd see those) or rancid (you'd smell or taste
> the rancidity.) Otherwise I can't think of what would affect it.

> I keep mine in the freezer and I don't worry about how old it is.
> Never had a problem.
>
> gloria p

I keep all my grains and various flours (except bleached all-purpose flour)
in the freezer, as well. The AP flour is fairly resistant to rancidity,
although it can get buggy if not in a well sealed container.

I do think that semolina might risk turning rancid with age, heat,
humidity, etc.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)

George Shirley 20-07-2008 01:37 AM

How long does flour last?

Andy wrote:
> Gloria P said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> How long does flour last?
>>>
>>> Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
>>> probably.
>>>
>>> Looks good, feels good.
>>>

>> Flour can get buggy (you'd see those) or rancid (you'd smell or taste
>> the rancidity.) Otherwise I can't think of what would affect it.
>>
>> I keep mine in the freezer and I don't worry about how old it is.
>> Never had a problem.
>>
>> gloria p

> gloria p,
>
> How does this flour/bug thing happen? If the sack hasn't been open surely
> there wouldn't be bugs!?
>
> Right?!?
>
> Andy

Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.

Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

Andy[_2_] 20-07-2008 01:50 AM

How long does flour last?

George Shirley said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Gloria P said...

>>> Flour can get buggy (you'd see those) or rancid (you'd smell or taste
>>> the rancidity.) Otherwise I can't think of what would affect it.
>>>
>>> I keep mine in the freezer and I don't worry about how old it is.
>>> Never had a problem.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> gloria p,
>>
>> How does this flour/bug thing happen? If the sack hasn't been open

surely
>> there wouldn't be bugs!?
>>
>> Right?!?
>>
>> Andy

> Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
> inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
> flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.
>
> Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
> a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

George Shirley,

Oh brother,

Some ray o' sunshine you are! [kidding]

I'll toss it. Still, I don't see anything moving in the sacks.

Best,

Andy

Sheldon 20-07-2008 02:21 AM

How long does flour last?

George Shirley wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > Gloria P said...

> >> Flour can get �buggy (you'd see those) or rancid (you'd smell or taste
> >> the rancidity.) �Otherwise I can't think of what would affect it.

> >> I keep mine in the freezer and I don't worry about how old it is.
> >> Never had a problem.

> > How does this flour/bug thing happen? If the sack hasn't been open surely
> > there wouldn't be bugs!?

> > Right?!?

> > Andy

> Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
> inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
> flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.
>
> Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
> a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

Freezing won't kill bugs, all freezing does is preserve them in their
present state of development... as soon as they are moved to a warmer
location they will once again continue their cycle. Insect eggs and
larva can survive in frozen ground indefinitely. The bugs are in
grain mostly because they are already in the plant at harvest. We eat
hundreds of pounds of such bugs in our lifetime, they won't hurt you,
just adds a little extra protein. Why do you think bakers began
adding seeds, nuts, and twigs to baked goods? In some societies
people consider insects a regular part of their diet.

Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] 20-07-2008 02:27 AM

How long does flour last?

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
> inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
> flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.
>
> Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
> a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

If I see a weevil larva, I pretend I didn't. If I see several, I'm done.
I can buy into the tiny bits of protein part to a point. I don't believe
the eggs hatch inside us and don't worry about them. I live in a dry
enough climate that I've never experienced rancidity in flour. I just
threw out a one pound bag of flour unopened that had been in our travel
trailer for two years. But that was because my wife told me to.
I suppose you could sift them out if you had a mind to. If flour gets
more expensive, expect a run on sifters.

leo

Blinky the Shark 20-07-2008 02:35 AM

How long does flour last?

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
>> inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
>> flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.
>>
>> Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
>> a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

> If I see a weevil larva, I pretend I didn't. If I see several, I'm done.
> I can buy into the tiny bits of protein part to a point. I don't believe
> the eggs hatch inside us and don't worry about them. I live in a dry
> enough climate that I've never experienced rancidity in flour. I just
> threw out a one pound bag of flour unopened that had been in our travel
> trailer for two years. But that was because my wife told me to.
> I suppose you could sift them out if you had a mind to. If flour gets
> more expensive, expect a run on sifters.

....or weevil larva recipes. Waste not, want not.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Andy[_2_] 20-07-2008 03:01 AM

How long does flour last?

Sheldon said...

>> Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
>> inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
>> flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.
>>
>> Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
>> a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

> Freezing won't kill bugs, all freezing does is preserve them in their
> present state of development... as soon as they are moved to a warmer
> location they will once again continue their cycle. Insect eggs and
> larva can survive in frozen ground indefinitely. The bugs are in
> grain mostly because they are already in the plant at harvest. We eat
> hundreds of pounds of such bugs in our lifetime, they won't hurt you,
> just adds a little extra protein. Why do you think bakers began
> adding seeds, nuts, and twigs to baked goods? In some societies
> people consider insects a regular part of their diet.

Depends on how frozen you go!

When we find a tray with a bird specimen that's been eaten apart from bugs,
we transfer the entire tray to the freezer for two weeks.

You don't know squat!

Andy

sf[_3_] 20-07-2008 07:13 AM

How long does flour last?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:01:59 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Sheldon said...
>
>>> Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
>>> inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
>>> flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.
>>>
>>> Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
>>> a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

>> Freezing won't kill bugs, all freezing does is preserve them in their
>> present state of development... as soon as they are moved to a warmer
>> location they will once again continue their cycle. Insect eggs and
>> larva can survive in frozen ground indefinitely. The bugs are in
>> grain mostly because they are already in the plant at harvest. We eat
>> hundreds of pounds of such bugs in our lifetime, they won't hurt you,
>> just adds a little extra protein. Why do you think bakers began
>> adding seeds, nuts, and twigs to baked goods? In some societies
>> people consider insects a regular part of their diet.

>Depends on how frozen you go!
>
>When we find a tray with a bird specimen that's been eaten apart from bugs,
>we transfer the entire tray to the freezer for two weeks.
>
>You don't know squat!

My SIL learned to kill mold/mildew that grows on art by putting the
affected canvas in a freezer. I think it's a common practice in the
art world. Maybe *some* bugs go into hibernation when they hit the
deep freeze, but not everything does. :)

http://www.pestproducts.com/mediterr...flour_moth.htm

If you have flour or grain moths: Empty all cabinets, drawers and pantries where there is evidence of insects. Try to identify which foodstuff is infested. Throw away any container suspected of being a source. If you are unsure and want to save something which may be infested, place it in Tupperware or zip lock bags. Inspect it a week or two later to see if there is activity or not. You can also freeze food (in a baggy) for 5-10 days to kill any possible pests. Be careful to inspect cans as these pests love to nest on the bottom around the can’s rim. The lids of jars or bottles also provide excellent nest sites.

Mae West

sf[_3_] 20-07-2008 07:18 AM

How long does flour last?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:27:34 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>If I see a weevil larva, I pretend I didn't. If I see several, I'm done.
>I can buy into the tiny bits of protein part to a point.

I've had those moth infestations in the past, but I've never seen a
real larva... so help me Alex (thanks for the expression Schaller).

Mae West

sf[_3_] 20-07-2008 07:21 AM

How long does flour last?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:27:34 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>If flour gets more expensive, expect a run on sifters.

I use a fine meshed sieve. It works. :)

Mae West

sf[_3_] 20-07-2008 07:23 AM

How long does flour last?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:35:34 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> I suppose you could sift them out if you had a mind to. If flour gets
>> more expensive, expect a run on sifters.

> Waste not, want not.

You're old fashioned "people" for a shark.

:)

Mae West

Blinky the Shark 20-07-2008 09:05 AM

How long does flour last?

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:35:34 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>>Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>> I suppose you could sift them out if you had a mind to. If flour gets
>>> more expensive, expect a run on sifters.

>> Waste not, want not.

> You're old fashioned "people" for a shark.
>
> :)

Yes, but if you hadn't edited inside that line, it would be clear that I
was making a joke about eating weevil larvae, not really selling that old
saying.

George Shirley 20-07-2008 01:28 PM

How long does flour last?

Andy wrote:
> George Shirley said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Gloria P said...

>>> gloria p,
>>>
>>> How does this flour/bug thing happen? If the sack hasn't been open

> surely
>>> there wouldn't be bugs!?
>>>
>>> Right?!?
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
>> inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
>> flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.
>>
>> Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
>> a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

> George Shirley,
>
> Oh brother,
>
> Some ray o' sunshine you are! [kidding]
>
> I'll toss it. Still, I don't see anything moving in the sacks.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

I wouldn't toss it Andy. If you can't see black specks or moving
critters odds are it's still good. The only flour I don't buy at the
market any more is Hodgdon's Mills, invariably it is full of weevils and
a waste of money. I think my favorite supermarket quit carrying it for
that reason.

Anyhoo, baking the flour in a cake or bread usually kills the bugs
anyway and then they become extra protein in your meal. <VBG>

George Shirley 20-07-2008 01:32 PM

How long does flour last?

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:27:34 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> > wrote:
>
>> If flour gets more expensive, expect a run on sifters.

> I use a fine meshed sieve. It works. :)

Still have the one we brought home from Yemen in 1991. Took so long for
cornmeal and flour from the US to get to us it was all infested with
larvae. Sifted the heck out of it and made cornbread anyway.

We lived at 8200 feet elevation and had to buy a pressure cooker to get
beans to cook all the way done. Lay a lemon on the counter and two days
later you had a dry lemon. First time in my life I didn't have sinus
problems. But they sure had lots of bugs.

Andy[_2_] 20-07-2008 01:51 PM

How long does flour last?

George Shirley said...

> Andy wrote:
>> George Shirley said...

>> surely

>>> Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
>>> inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker,
>>> with flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.
>>>
>>> Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up
>>> to a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

>> George Shirley,
>>
>> Oh brother,
>>
>> Some ray o' sunshine you are! [kidding]
>>
>> I'll toss it. Still, I don't see anything moving in the sacks.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy

> I wouldn't toss it Andy. If you can't see black specks or moving
> critters odds are it's still good. The only flour I don't buy at the
> market any more is Hodgdon's Mills, invariably it is full of weevils and
> a waste of money. I think my favorite supermarket quit carrying it for
> that reason.
>
> Anyhoo, baking the flour in a cake or bread usually kills the bugs
> anyway and then they become extra protein in your meal. <VBG>

George,

I don't know how bugs can exist in a sealed plastic sack. Sure there's
plenty to eat but no sight of bugs.

And heck, I only trapped one mouse this year! My mouse traps are looking
bored.

Best,

Andy

Andy[_2_] 20-07-2008 01:57 PM

How long does flour last?

George Shirley said...

> We lived at 8200 feet elevation

George,

So you're constantly high?!?

<VBG>

Best,

Andy
Sinus problems in Pennsylvania! (God bless me please? Thank you. Amen!)

George Shirley 20-07-2008 02:55 PM

How long does flour last?

Andy wrote:
> George Shirley said...
>
>> We lived at 8200 feet elevation

> George,
>
> So you're constantly high?!?

I had a lot of trouble adjusting, I'm a flatlander by preference, lived
at or just above sea level my whole life. Yemen was an experience but I
won't go back.

> <VBG>
>
> Best,
>
> Andy
> Sinus problems in Pennsylvania! (God bless me please? Thank you. Amen!)

If you don't have sinus problems God has blessed thee already.

Boron Elgar[_1_] 20-07-2008 04:22 PM

How long does flour last?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 23:18:54 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:27:34 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:
>

>>If I see a weevil larva, I pretend I didn't. If I see several, I'm done.
>>I can buy into the tiny bits of protein part to a point.

>I've had those moth infestations in the past, but I've never seen a
>real larva... so help me Alex (thanks for the expression Schaller).

Actually, I saw one this week. I got some bulk dog treats at the feed
store and thought I had seen webs in the barrel, but probably
pretended I didn't.

I put the treats in a screw-top plastic storage jar and by golly, this
week the remains (luckily the stuff was almost gone) were webby and
there was one worm, one empty cocoon, and one moth in the jar. I
tossed the rest and washed the jar out with soap and hot water.

Boron

Gloria P 20-07-2008 06:39 PM

How long does flour last?

sf wrote:

> I've had those moth infestations in the past, but I've never seen a
> real larva... so help me Alex (thanks for the expression Schaller).

Years ago we had them in a bag of dried cat food. It was disconcerting
to pour out the food and see it writhing. We tossed it out, of course,
and from then on kept the food in a large tin with a tight lid. We
never had that problem again. Yuck.

gloria p

Dimitri 20-07-2008 07:30 PM

How long does flour last?

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> How long does flour last?
>
> Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
> probably.
>
> Looks good, feels good.
>
> What say you?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Until you can see bugs growing - REALLY!

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)