Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default elephant pepper

http://www.elephantpepper.com/

Apparently planting a hedge of hot chiles around your farm keeps the
elephants out. Those guys make and sell condiments from the peppers.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> http://www.elephantpepper.com/
>
> Apparently planting a hedge of hot chiles around your farm keeps the
> elephants out. Those guys make and sell condiments from the peppers.

It works. I never had any elephants after I planted those.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 14 Jul 2008 06:53:49p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>
>> http://www.elephantpepper.com/
>>
>> Apparently planting a hedge of hot chiles around your farm keeps the
>> elephants out. Those guys make and sell condiments from the peppers.

> It works. I never had any elephants after I planted those.

Sometimes my yard looks like elephants have been dancing around in it.
Must be because I don't have any peppers planted in it. You'd think they'd
get stuck by all the cactii I have planted, though. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 07(VII)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> http://www.elephantpepper.com/
>
> Apparently planting a hedge of hot chiles around your farm keeps the
> elephants out. Those guys make and sell condiments from the peppers.

Cool! I wonder if it works with deer?

<and rabbits? and snakes?>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:53:49 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>
>> http://www.elephantpepper.com/
>>
>> Apparently planting a hedge of hot chiles around your farm keeps the
>> elephants out. Those guys make and sell condiments from the peppers.

>It works. I never had any elephants after I planted those.

That's why we have so much galic in our house. Keeps the vampires
away.

I haven't seen a vampire in years.
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:33:03 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>> http://www.elephantpepper.com/
>>
>> Apparently planting a hedge of hot chiles around your farm keeps the
>> elephants out. Those guys make and sell condiments from the peppers.

>Cool! I wonder if it works with deer?
>
><and rabbits? and snakes?>

I'd say it would likely work with deer, but not snakes. I read once
that hot chiles in bird seed will keep squirrels out of the bird
feeder -- at first. But when the lil buggers get hungry enough,
they'll eat hot seeds. Then once they get used to the spicy stuff,
they prefer it to regular seeds.

I can't footnote this, however.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:33:34 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:33:03 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:
>
>>modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>>> http://www.elephantpepper.com/
>>>
>>> Apparently planting a hedge of hot chiles around your farm keeps the
>>> elephants out. Those guys make and sell condiments from the peppers.

>>Cool! I wonder if it works with deer?
>>
>><and rabbits? and snakes?>

>I'd say it would likely work with deer, but not snakes. I read once
>that hot chiles in bird seed will keep squirrels out of the bird
>feeder -- at first. But when the lil buggers get hungry enough,
>they'll eat hot seeds. Then once they get used to the spicy stuff,
>they prefer it to regular seeds.
>
>I can't footnote this, however.

amal naj briefly discusses this in his book, 'Peppers: A Story of Hot
Pursuits.'

<http://www.amazon.com/Peppers-Story-Pursuits-Amal-Naj/dp/0679744274/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216236324&sr=8-1>

in the section called 'the pepper high,' he says: 'the thing about
hot pepper is that even animals, who are supposed to be repelled by
it, can't resist it once they discover the pleasant side of the
pepper's bite. all it seems to take is human mediation.' which would
seem to include mixing it with regular seeds. apparently dogs in
india also come to prefer highly spiced leftovers.

it's an interesting book, which i bought after someone here mentioned
it. shown above, used, for a few cents plus shipping, it's well worth
it. it includes the complete tale of the mcillhenny co. and tabasco
sauce, and tales of some botanists who obsessed with peppers.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:

> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>> http://www.elephantpepper.com/
>>
>> Apparently planting a hedge of hot chiles around your farm keeps the
>> elephants out. Those guys make and sell condiments from the peppers.

> Cool! I wonder if it works with deer?
>
> <and rabbits? and snakes?>

Nope.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:53:49 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>>modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.elephantpepper.com/
>>>
>>> Apparently planting a hedge of hot chiles around your farm keeps the
>>> elephants out. Those guys make and sell condiments from the peppers.

>>It works. I never had any elephants after I planted those.

> That's why we have so much galic in our house. Keeps the vampires
> away.
>
> I haven't seen a vampire in years.

Amen. Come to think of it, I've never, ever seen a vampire in our house...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:43:05 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:33:34 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:33:03 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>>>Cool! I wonder if it works with deer?
>>>
>>><and rabbits? and snakes?>

>>I'd say it would likely work with deer, but not snakes. I read once
>>that hot chiles in bird seed will keep squirrels out of the bird
>>feeder -- at first. But when the lil buggers get hungry enough,
>>they'll eat hot seeds. Then once they get used to the spicy stuff,
>>they prefer it to regular seeds.
>>
>>I can't footnote this, however.

>amal naj briefly discusses this in his book, 'Peppers: A Story of Hot
>Pursuits.'
>
><http://www.amazon.com/Peppers-Story-Pursuits-Amal-Naj/dp/0679744274/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216236324&sr=8-1>
>
>in the section called 'the pepper high,' he says: 'the thing about
>hot pepper is that even animals, who are supposed to be repelled by
>it, can't resist it once they discover the pleasant side of the
>pepper's bite. all it seems to take is human mediation.' which would
>seem to include mixing it with regular seeds. apparently dogs in
>india also come to prefer highly spiced leftovers.
>
>it's an interesting book, which i bought after someone here mentioned
>it. shown above, used, for a few cents plus shipping, it's well worth
>it. it includes the complete tale of the mcillhenny co. and tabasco
>sauce, and tales of some botanists who obsessed with peppers.

Thanks for the reminder. That's probably where I heard about it. And
ironically it was I who recommended the book here.
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:46:51 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:43:05 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:33:34 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> wrote:

>>>I'd say it would likely work with deer, but not snakes. I read once
>>>that hot chiles in bird seed will keep squirrels out of the bird
>>>feeder -- at first. But when the lil buggers get hungry enough,
>>>they'll eat hot seeds. Then once they get used to the spicy stuff,
>>>they prefer it to regular seeds.
>>>
>>>I can't footnote this, however.

>>amal naj briefly discusses this in his book, 'Peppers: A Story of Hot
>>Pursuits.'
>>
>><http://www.amazon.com/Peppers-Story-Pursuits-Amal-Naj/dp/0679744274/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216236324&sr=8-1>
>>
>>in the section called 'the pepper high,' he says: 'the thing about
>>hot pepper is that even animals, who are supposed to be repelled by
>>it, can't resist it once they discover the pleasant side of the
>>pepper's bite. all it seems to take is human mediation.' which would
>>seem to include mixing it with regular seeds. apparently dogs in
>>india also come to prefer highly spiced leftovers.
>>
>>it's an interesting book, which i bought after someone here mentioned
>>it. shown above, used, for a few cents plus shipping, it's well worth
>>it. it includes the complete tale of the mcillhenny co. and tabasco
>>sauce, and tales of some botanists who obsessed with peppers.
>>

>Thanks for the reminder. That's probably where I heard about it. And
>ironically it was I who recommended the book here.

in that case, i thank you. very engaging book.

your pal,
blake