Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mmmmm......okra!

Bring on the mucus! And some butter.

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/okra.jpg

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:35:04 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Bring on the mucus! And some butter.
>
>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/okra.jpg

Oh sharkster, you have such a way with words.

koko
--
There is no love more sincere than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/okra.jpg

That's a great picture. That slimy protein is just oozing out. Globules
in the broth too. Beautiful.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:35:04 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>

>>Bring on the mucus! And some butter.
>>
>>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/okra.jpg

> Oh sharkster, you have such a way with words.

I *am* a word artist, aren't I?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/okra.jpg

> That's a great picture. That slimy protein is just oozing out. Globules
> in the broth too. Beautiful.

It's enough to make a hungry man cry, I tellya!

(That's protein?)

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> (That's protein?)

Don't know. I shouldn't have speculated. This is the best I can do:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucilage>
<http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3938/is_200604/ai_n17186633>
I'm lucky with that. I simply assumed.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> (That's protein?)

> Don't know. I shouldn't have speculated. This is the best I can do:
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucilage>
> <http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3938/is_200604/ai_n17186633>
> I'm lucky with that. I simply assumed.

When I was a kid, we always had a bottle of mucilage handy in the
paper-and--scissors-and-pencils-and-stuff drawer. I never knew where it
came from.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> When I was a kid, we always had a bottle of mucilage handy in the
> paper-and--scissors-and-pencils-and-stuff drawer. I never knew where it
> came from.

Oh gawd! Yes, it IS mucilage! Haven't thought of that in years.

"Okra mucilage" sounds almost as tasty as Barb's "tomato snot".

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> koko wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:35:04 -0700, Blinky the Shark
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Bring on the mucus! And some butter.
>>>
>>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/okra.jpg

>> Oh sharkster, you have such a way with words.

> I *am* a word artist, aren't I?

No, you're a shark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 13, 10:35*pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> Bring on the mucus! *And some butter. *
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/okra.jpg
>
> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org
> Need a new news feed? *http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Gag gag gag gag gag urk....

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> koko wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:35:04 -0700, Blinky the Shark

>>> Oh sharkster, you have such a way with words.

>> I *am* a word artist, aren't I?
>>

> No, you're a shark

And Christopher Wren was (among other things) an architect. What's your
point?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Bring on the mucus! And some butter.
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/okra.jpg

Boiled okra is good, fried okra is even better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintagechica/477755757/

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 15 Jul 2008 11:13:39a, Becca told us...

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Bring on the mucus! And some butter.
>>
>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/okra.jpg

> Boiled okra is good, fried okra is even better.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintagechica/477755757/
>
> Becca

Another okra favorite of mine is corn, okra, and tomato soup...very basic,
but delicious.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn and Okra Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

96 Ounces Stewed Tomatoes
1 Pound Okra Pods
5 Cups Frozen Yellow Corn -- thawed
2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
2 Cups Water (or chicken or vegetable broth)

Pulse tomatoes, with juice, in food processor until pieces are no larger than
1/2 inch. Turn into 4-quart pot.

Pulse corn in food processor until slightly chopped. Add to tomatoes.

Remove cap and tail from okra and cut in 1/3 inch slices. Add to tomatoes
and corn.

Add salt and pepper to mixture.

Add water, stirring mixture gently to combine.

Slowly bring soup to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes. Okra should be tender-
crisp. Do not overcook.

Soup may be thinned with additional water, if desired.

Soup may be frozen for long term storage.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 327 Calories; 2g Fat (4.9% calories
from fat); 12g Protein; 77g Carbohydrate; 12g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
1008mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 7 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Serve with a wedge of hot, buttered cornbread.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 07(VII)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 13, 11:35*pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> Bring on the mucus! *And some butter. *
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/okra.jpg

I thought there was something worse than pickled beets and now you've
reminded me.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Bring on the mucus! And some butter.
>>
>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/okra.jpg

> Boiled okra is good, fried okra is even better.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintagechica/477755757/

That reminds me how long it's been since I had fried mushrooms.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Another okra favorite of mine is corn, okra, and tomato soup...very basic,
> but delicious.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Corn and Okra Soup
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 96 Ounces Stewed Tomatoes
> 1 Pound Okra Pods
> 5 Cups Frozen Yellow Corn -- thawed
> 2 Teaspoons Salt
> 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
> 2 Cups Water (or chicken or vegetable broth)
>
> Pulse tomatoes, with juice, in food processor until pieces are no larger than
> 1/2 inch. Turn into 4-quart pot.
>
> Pulse corn in food processor until slightly chopped. Add to tomatoes.
>
> Remove cap and tail from okra and cut in 1/3 inch slices. Add to tomatoes
> and corn.
>
> Add salt and pepper to mixture.
>
> Add water, stirring mixture gently to combine.
>
> Slowly bring soup to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes. Okra should be tender-
> crisp. Do not overcook.
>
> Soup may be thinned with additional water, if desired.
>
> Soup may be frozen for long term storage.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 327 Calories; 2g Fat (4.9% calories
> from fat); 12g Protein; 77g Carbohydrate; 12g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
> 1008mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 7 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.
>
> Serving Ideas : Serve with a wedge of hot, buttered cornbread.
>

> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

This recipe sounds good, I will try it.

My mother cooked a side dish, that was elbow macaroni, tomatoes and
okra. I know she used s&p to season it, I am not sure if she used
anything else. It tasted okay.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 16 Jul 2008 05:16:07p, Becca told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Another okra favorite of mine is corn, okra, and tomato soup...very
>> basic, but delicious.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Corn and Okra Soup
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories :
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 96 Ounces Stewed Tomatoes
>> 1 Pound Okra Pods
>> 5 Cups Frozen Yellow Corn -- thawed
>> 2 Teaspoons Salt
>> 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
>> 2 Cups Water (or chicken or vegetable broth)
>>
>> Pulse tomatoes, with juice, in food processor until pieces are no
>> larger than 1/2 inch. Turn into 4-quart pot.
>>
>> Pulse corn in food processor until slightly chopped. Add to tomatoes.
>>
>> Remove cap and tail from okra and cut in 1/3 inch slices. Add to
>> tomatoes and corn.
>>
>> Add salt and pepper to mixture.
>>
>> Add water, stirring mixture gently to combine.
>>
>> Slowly bring soup to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes. Okra should be
>> tender- crisp. Do not overcook.
>>
>> Soup may be thinned with additional water, if desired.
>>
>> Soup may be frozen for long term storage.
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> -
>>
>> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 327 Calories; 2g Fat (4.9%
>> calories from fat); 12g Protein; 77g Carbohydrate; 12g Dietary Fiber;
>> 0mg Cholesterol; 1008mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 7 1/2
>> Vegetable; 0 Fat.
>>
>> Serving Ideas : Serve with a wedge of hot, buttered cornbread.
>>

>> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

> This recipe sounds good, I will try it.
>
> My mother cooked a side dish, that was elbow macaroni, tomatoes and
> okra. I know she used s&p to season it, I am not sure if she used
> anything else. It tasted okay.
>
> Becca

Becca, the recipe I posted, served in a much less "soupy" form, is often
served as a side dish in the South.

I hope you enjoy the soup as much as we do!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 07(VII)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 16 Jul 2008 05:16:07p, Becca told us...

>> My mother cooked a side dish, that was elbow macaroni, tomatoes and
>> okra. I know she used s&p to season it, I am not sure if she used
>> anything else. It tasted okay.
>>
>> Becca

> Becca, the recipe I posted, served in a much less "soupy" form, is often
> served as a side dish in the South.
>
> I hope you enjoy the soup as much as we do!

My sister brought me some okra from her garden and I have frozen corn in
the freezer. I think I even have enough stewed tomatoes. I may cook
this tomorrow night.

She also brought me some Swiss chard. I cleaned it, cut it into 1"
strips, sauteed it in bacon fat and onion. It was wonderful.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 17 Jul 2008 02:37:47p, Becca told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Wed 16 Jul 2008 05:16:07p, Becca told us...

>>> My mother cooked a side dish, that was elbow macaroni, tomatoes and
>>> okra. I know she used s&p to season it, I am not sure if she used
>>> anything else. It tasted okay.
>>>
>>> Becca

>> Becca, the recipe I posted, served in a much less "soupy" form, is often
>> served as a side dish in the South.
>>
>> I hope you enjoy the soup as much as we do!

> My sister brought me some okra from her garden and I have frozen corn in
> the freezer. I think I even have enough stewed tomatoes. I may cook
> this tomorrow night.
>
> She also brought me some Swiss chard. I cleaned it, cut it into 1"
> strips, sauteed it in bacon fat and onion. It was wonderful.
>
> Becca

Oh, I love Swiss chard, too, especially sauteed. I'm not too fond of it
steamed.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 07(VII)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)

Mmmmm... cheesecake! Kajikit[_2_] General Cooking 77 08-03-2009 01:10 AM
mmmmm, bacon... John O[_2_] Barbecue 3 31-01-2009 05:13 AM
Mmmmm looks delicious [email protected] General Cooking 0 05-04-2007 06:45 PM
Mmmmm I wonder ? [email protected] Winemaking 0 13-01-2006 04:08 PM
=mmmmm...SOUP!= Anthony Ritter General Cooking 6 22-01-2004 11:05 AM