Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Krispy Kreme surprise

One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.

Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)

Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P > wrote:

>Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
>or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
>opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.

Target is pulling this trick in Richmond, California. They are
closing a store that is right adjacent to a BART station (that's
our metro rail system here), and replacing it with a store
that is at least two miles from any BART station. I do not think
they have planned this move with the energy crisis in mind, and
it particularly sucks for their employees.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
> from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
> by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
> lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
> their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
> around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.

They are not that great, to me--just too dead sweet. For example, even
the filled donuts are glazed. Overkill! Like all glazed donuts theirs are
amazing
hot.

> Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
> location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)

Where are you? Just curious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 3:18*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
> from our house about two years ago. *Imagine my surprise to see, driving
> by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
> lease" sign on the building. *And I never even got the chance to sample
> their wares! *When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
> around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.
>
> Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
> location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)

The low-carb diet made a comeback about a year ago (or so?) and Krispy
Kremes are folding all over the place. I think Fresh Choice (all carb
salad bars) are closing, too.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 11 Jul 2008 03:18:06p, Gloria P told us...

> One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
> from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
> by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
> lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
> their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
> around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.
>
> Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
> location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)
>
> Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
> or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
> opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.
>
> gloria p

I don't go to Costco frequently, but I was in the area the other day and
thought I would stop in for a few items. Imagine my surprise when I found
it locked up tight and boards over the windows. They had moved in recent
months to a new location about less than 2 miles from the original spot.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Fri 11 Jul 2008 03:18:06p, Gloria P told us...
>

> > One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
> > from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
> > by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
> > lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
> > their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
> > around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.
> >
> > Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
> > location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)
> >
> > Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
> > or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
> > opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.
> >
> > gloria p
> >

> I don't go to Costco frequently, but I was in the area the other day and
> thought I would stop in for a few items. Imagine my surprise when I found
> it locked up tight and boards over the windows. They had moved in recent
> months to a new location about less than 2 miles from the original spot.

There can be a lot of reasons for those kind of moves, including giving
the big FU to a city government that is giving them problems. Other
times, building / land lease issues, developers offering more for the
land to build some other project, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 11 Jul 2008 04:53:55p, Pete C. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Fri 11 Jul 2008 03:18:06p, Gloria P told us...
>>

>> > One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
>> > from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see,

driving
>> > by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
>> > lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to

sample
>> > their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
>> > around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.
>> >
>> > Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
>> > location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)
>> >
>> > Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
>> > or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
>> > opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.
>> >
>> > gloria p
>> >

>> I don't go to Costco frequently, but I was in the area the other day and
>> thought I would stop in for a few items. Imagine my surprise when I

found
>> it locked up tight and boards over the windows. They had moved in

recent
>> months to a new location about less than 2 miles from the original spot.

> There can be a lot of reasons for those kind of moves, including giving
> the big FU to a city government that is giving them problems. Other
> times, building / land lease issues, developers offering more for the
> land to build some other project, etc.

I think in the case of this Costco store, it was none of th above.
Although I haven't been inside the new store yet, it appears to be
significantly larger than the old one. It is also still in the same city
as the old one.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > I don't go to Costco frequently, but I was in the area the other day and
> > thought I would stop in for a few items. Imagine my surprise when I found
> > it locked up tight and boards over the windows. They had moved in recent
> > months to a new location about less than 2 miles from the original spot.

> There can be a lot of reasons for those kind of moves, including giving
> the big FU to a city government that is giving them problems. Other
> times, building / land lease issues, developers offering more for the
> land to build some other project, etc.

There was a Costco pretty close to my sister's house. It closed down a
few years back after they built a new one further away. It was pretty
obvious why it closed. It was too successful. The building was too
small, and the parking lot was *way* too small. There was just no room
there to expand, so they had to move. The building is still vacant.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
> from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
> by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
> lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
> their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
> around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.
>
> Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
> location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)

In Canada all the Krispy Kremes closed abruptly at the same time. They were
cooking their books to inflate their sales figures. I loved their donuts and
was sorry to see them go. You can, however, still get Krispy Kremes at one
local gas station chain.

> Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two or
> three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one opens,
> leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.

If we thought urban sprawl was ugly we ain't seen nothin' yet. Around here
the biggest problem is a monomania for condos. The new shopping experience
is these box malls where separate box stores are widely spaced on a
multi-acre lot so you have to get in your car and drive from one store door
to the next. Double Ugh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>>
>> One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
>> from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
>> by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
>> lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
>> their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
>> around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.

> They are not that great, to me--just too dead sweet. For example, even
> the filled donuts are glazed. Overkill! Like all glazed donuts theirs are
> amazing
> hot.
>
>> Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
>> location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)
>>

> Where are you? Just curious.

Denver, southeast suburbs.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote>>
>> Where are you? Just curious.

> Denver, southeast suburbs.

Wow! That is a long way for a lowly KK to travel!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The UnInmate wrote:

> If we thought urban sprawl was ugly we ain't seen nothin' yet. Around here
> the biggest problem is a monomania for condos.

Ditto.

> The new shopping experience
> is these box malls where separate box stores are widely spaced on a
> multi-acre lot so you have to get in your car and drive from one store door
> to the next. Double Ugh.

Ditto. The worst of it is in winter when there are huge piles of snow
that block your view of oncoming cars and decrease the number of parking
spaces by 30% or more at each store and hoards of people are Christmas
shopping. Then they restripe the lot, making each space narrower
because there aren't enough spaces and fools in mega-SUVs or pickup
trucks take 2 or more spaces. Ugh. Makes you nostalgic for
old-fashioned downtowns where you could take a bus or park in big lots
behind the stores and walk down a real street to shop.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote :
>Makes you nostalgic for old-fashioned downtowns where you could take a bus
>or park in big lots behind the stores and walk down a real street to shop.

The ironic thing is, after ruining the city centers, now the trend in
suburban
malls is the "Town Center."

Idiots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
> from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
> by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
> lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
> their wares!

How many more years would you have needed to buy a donut from them?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
. ..
> The UnInmate wrote:
>>
>> If we thought urban sprawl was ugly we ain't seen nothin' yet. Around
>> here the biggest problem is a monomania for condos.

> Ditto.
>
>> The new shopping experience is these box malls where separate box stores
>> are widely spaced on a multi-acre lot so you have to get in your car and
>> drive from one store door to the next. Double Ugh.

> Ditto. The worst of it is in winter when there are huge piles of snow
> that block your view of oncoming cars and decrease the number of parking
> spaces by 30% or more at each store and hoards of people are Christmas
> shopping. Then they restripe the lot, making each space narrower because
> there aren't enough spaces and fools in mega-SUVs or pickup trucks take 2
> or more spaces. Ugh. Makes you nostalgic for old-fashioned downtowns
> where you could take a bus or park in big lots behind the stores and walk
> down a real street to shop.
>
> gloria p

I reached adulthood before "malling" became a word, but it was still fun to
wander around the big indoor malls. Now they are passe' and it's really a
shame. The smalltown walk-down-the-main-street-full-of-small-stores thing is
a tourist experience these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The UnInmate" > wrote >
> I reached adulthood before "malling" became a word, but it was still fun
> to wander around the big indoor malls. Now they are passe' and it's really
> a shame. The smalltown walk-down-the-main-street-full-of-small-stores
> thing is a tourist experience these days.

We disagree there. Malls just suck all the life out of me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "The UnInmate" > wrote >
>> I reached adulthood before "malling" became a word, but it was still fun
>> to wander around the big indoor malls. Now they are passe' and it's
>> really a shame. The smalltown
>> walk-down-the-main-street-full-of-small-stores thing is a tourist
>> experience these days.

> We disagree there. Malls just suck all the life out of me.

Well said. And the next time you're in an unfamiliar mall, stop in mid-shop
and figure out how you'd get out in an emergency. I always feel trapped in a
mall.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:18:06 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
>or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
>opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.

Sounds like Target is playing the Walmart game of avoiding property
taxes. Voters need to wake up and smell the coffee, their elected
officials need to develop a backbone and everyone needs to stop
allowing themselves to be manipulated. 9 year tax agreements, given
that political office term limits are 8 years, aren't a mistake.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 4:49*pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> I don't go to Costco frequently, but I was in the area the other day and
> thought I would stop in for a few items. *Imagine my surprise when I found
> it locked up tight and boards over the windows. *They had moved in recent
> months to a new location about less than 2 miles from the original spot.

Did they put in gas pumps?

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 7:46*pm, "Felice" > wrote:
> Well said. And the next time you're in an unfamiliar mall, stop in mid-shop
> and figure out how you'd get out in an emergency. I always feel trapped in a
> mall.

My favorite stores are Internet stores. My UPS guy and I are on a
first-name basis. Well, I do like to go to Macy's once in a while,
too...

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:27:35 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Makes you nostalgic for
>old-fashioned downtowns where you could take a bus or park in big lots
>behind the stores and walk down a real street to shop.

Those big lots behind stores meant homes were razed to create parking.

What happened just a couple of miles from my house was a shopping
center redevelopment company took a dying, old fashioned, shopping
center and transformed it. There is a roadway through the center now
and it has a village type feel. They even have two multi story
parking lots to accommodate all the shoppers cars.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 11 Jul 2008 08:14:39p, Karen told us...

> On Jul 11, 4:49*pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>> I don't go to Costco frequently, but I was in the area the other day and
>> thought I would stop in for a few items. *Imagine my surprise when I fo
>> und it locked up tight and boards over the windows. *They had moved in
>> rece nt months to a new location about less than 2 miles from the
>> original spot.

> Did they put in gas pumps?
>
> Karen

Yes, and full service garage.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "The UnInmate" > wrote >
>>> I reached adulthood before "malling" became a word, but it was still fun
>>> to wander around the big indoor malls. Now they are passe' and it's
>>> really a shame. The smalltown
>>> walk-down-the-main-street-full-of-small-stores thing is a tourist
>>> experience these days.

>> We disagree there. Malls just suck all the life out of me.

> Well said.

Thank you. The only things worse: Home Depot, Lowes, and (arrggg) Costco.
There it's the enormity, the bright lights, and the huge array of stuff.

>And the next time you're in an unfamiliar mall, stop in mid-shop and figure
>out how you'd get out in an emergency. I always feel trapped in a mall.

All you have to do is go to the mall with a smoker to find out how hard it
is to get
to an exit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 03:34:27 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 11 Jul 2008 08:14:39p, Karen told us...
>
>> On Jul 11, 4:49*pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>> I don't go to Costco frequently, but I was in the area the other day and
>>> thought I would stop in for a few items. *Imagine my surprise when I fo
>>> und it locked up tight and boards over the windows. *They had moved in
>>> rece nt months to a new location about less than 2 miles from the
>>> original spot.

>> Did they put in gas pumps?
>>
>> Karen
>>

>Yes, and full service garage.

Went to the Kona Costco gas today. $4.389 for regular.

aloha,
beans
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:18:06 -0600, Gloria P >
> wrote:
>
>>Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
>>or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
>>opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.

> Sounds like Target is playing the Walmart game of avoiding property
> taxes. Voters need to wake up and smell the coffee

<snip>

Their Starbucks coffee?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>>Yes, and full service garage.

> Went to the Kona Costco gas today. $4.389 for regular.

A penny cheaper than here in CT

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:

> My favorite stores are Internet stores. My UPS guy and I are on a
> first-name basis.

Amen!

> Well, I do like to go to Macy's once in a while, too...

About the only brick and mortars I go to regularly anymore are for
food shopping and plant nurseries. Shopping on line is more
comfortable (always a [clean] terlit or snack less than five seconds
away), never hassled/hurried/pressured to buy, less time consuming,
far safer than heading out in an automobile racing hither and yon
burning up more in fuel than the price of that pair of walking shoes,
etc., always, ALWAYS costs less, and never have to settle for other
than exactly the model, color, size you want. I can shop 24/7 with no
planning, and no schlepping.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Karen wrote:
>>
>> My favorite stores are Internet stores. My UPS guy and I are on a
>> first-name basis.

> Amen!
>
>> Well, I do like to go to Macy's once in a while, too...

> About the only brick and mortars I go to regularly anymore are for
> food shopping and plant nurseries. Shopping on line is more
> comfortable (always a [clean] terlit or snack less than five seconds
> away), never hassled/hurried/pressured to buy, less time consuming,
> far safer than heading out in an automobile racing hither and yon
> burning up more in fuel than the price of that pair of walking shoes,
> etc., always, ALWAYS costs less, and never have to settle for other
> than exactly the model, color, size you want. I can shop 24/7 with no
> planning, and no schlepping.

I'm with you on that one, Sheldon. Our "local" mall is well over an hour
away, anyhow. And, as if I want to spend $45 on a t-shirt that I can get
cheaply on-line? Let me order it, box it up and send it to me, if I really
want something. Pretty much, the only stores we go to are grocery stores,
produce stands, 7-11 for a quick fix of juice or soda, and Dollar Stores.
Everything else (including automobile tires and computer part) we buy
online.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 12 Jul 2008 04:36:31a, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

> > wrote in message
>>>Yes, and full service garage.

>> Went to the Kona Costco gas today. $4.389 for regular.
>>

> A penny cheaper than here in CT

I paid $3.96 in Mesa yesterday.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> Went to the Kona Costco gas today. $4.389 for regular.
> >>

> > A penny cheaper than here in CT
> >

> I paid $3.96 in Mesa yesterday.

Around that here in N. TX.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
> from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
> by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
> lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
> their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
> around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.
>
> Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
> location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)
>
> Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
> or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
> opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.
>
> gloria p

Most people didn't understand the "real" Krispy Kreme mystique. The
donuts are , IMO, only good when they are hot off the conveyor belt.
Once they cool off and are shelved, they are just another donut, and
nothing to write home about.

If you have never had a hot, glazed Krispy Kreme, you haven't
participated in the mystique.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Gloria P wrote:
>>

>> One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
>> from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
>> by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
>> lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
>> their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
>> around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.
>>
>> Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
>> location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)
>>
>> Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two or
>> three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one opens,
>> leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.
>>
>> gloria p

> Most people didn't understand the "real" Krispy Kreme mystique. The donuts
> are , IMO, only good when they are hot off the conveyor belt. Once they
> cool off and are shelved, they are just another donut, and nothing to
> write home about.
>
> If you have never had a hot, glazed Krispy Kreme, you haven't participated
> in the mystique.

This is true. Do the new stores have the conveor belt thing you can watch
through the window?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Sat 12 Jul 2008 04:36:31a, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

>> > A penny cheaper than here in CT
>> >

>> I paid $3.96 in Mesa yesterday.

> Around that here in N. TX.

$3.88 to 4.09 here in Raleigh, NC. Most of the places I pass seem to be at
about $4.05.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
> from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
> by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
> lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
> their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
> around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.
>
> Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
> location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)
>
> Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
> or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
> opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.
>
> gloria p

I've never been a fan of glazed doughnuts, but it seems my sister has
just discovered her childhood joy of "Spudnuts" doughnuts not only still
existing, but available in the town to which I've recently moved. One of
these weekends, I'm going to have to buy a box or bag and drive the 3+
hours on the interstate to deliver them. At the price of gas, that won't
happen very often. I guess I'm just a rotten brother! (grin)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Gloria P wrote:
>>

>> One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
>> from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
>> by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
>> lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
>> their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
>> around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.
>>
>> Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
>> location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)
>>
>> Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two or
>> three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one opens,
>> leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.
>>
>> gloria p

> Most people didn't understand the "real" Krispy Kreme mystique. The donuts
> are , IMO, only good when they are hot off the conveyor belt. Once they
> cool off and are shelved, they are just another donut, and nothing to
> write home about.
>
> If you have never had a hot, glazed Krispy Kreme, you haven't participated
> in the mystique.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

A local fair has something called Tiny Tom Donuts that works along a similar
principle. You get a bunch of 1" mini donuts right off the conveyor into a
bag and then the bag is filled with icing sugar or cinnamon and shaken. Best
donuts I've ever had.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 9:27*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> The UnInmate wrote:
>
> > If we thought urban sprawl was ugly we ain't seen nothin' yet. Around here
> > the biggest problem is a monomania for condos.

> Ditto.
>
> > The new shopping experience
> > is these box malls where separate box stores are widely spaced on a
> > multi-acre lot so you have to get in your car and drive from one store door
> > to the next. Double Ugh.

> Ditto. *The worst of it is in winter when there are huge piles of snow
> that block your view of oncoming cars and decrease the number of parking
> spaces by 30% or more at each store and hoards of people are Christmas
> shopping. *Then they restripe the lot, making each space narrower
> because there aren't enough spaces and fools in mega-SUVs or pickup
> trucks take 2 or more spaces. *Ugh. *Makes you nostalgic for
> old-fashioned downtowns where you could take a bus or park in big lots
> behind the stores and walk down a real street to shop.
>
> gloria p

Nostalgic? That's exactly where I live. Two minutes to groceries, 5
minutes to hospital if my cooking is a bit off.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
> from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
> by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
> lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
> their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
> around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.
>
> Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
> location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)
>
> Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
> or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
> opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.
>
> gloria p

We had a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop near us that was built like the Hearst
Castle and is now closed.
The only one that I know still open is directly across form a police
station.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike" > wrote in message news:QH5ek.90$gH4.57@trnddc05...

> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>>

>> One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
>> from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
>> by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
>> lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
>> their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
>> around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.
>>
>> Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
>> location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)
>>
>> Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
>> or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
>> opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.
>>
>> gloria p

> We had a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop near us that was built like the Hearst
> Castle and is now closed.
> The only one that I know still open is directly across form a police
> station.

Naaaw! :-D That's just too cliche' ....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:05:57 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>If you have never had a hot, glazed Krispy Kreme, you haven't
>participated in the mystique.

Just turned 7 yo GS will go to In N Out burgers with his Pop and choke
down a plain burger, no bun, and a few fries, just because there's a
Krispy Kreme on the other side of the parking lot that he can talk Pop
into going after lunch for "dessert".

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 12 Jul 2008 08:05:57a, Janet Wilder told us...

> Gloria P wrote:
>>

>> One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
>> from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
>> by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
>> lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
>> their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
>> around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.
>>
>> Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
>> location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)
>>
>> Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
>> or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
>> opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.
>>
>> gloria p

> Most people didn't understand the "real" Krispy Kreme mystique. The
> donuts are , IMO, only good when they are hot off the conveyor belt.
> Once they cool off and are shelved, they are just another donut, and
> nothing to write home about.
>
> If you have never had a hot, glazed Krispy Kreme, you haven't
> participated in the mystique.

You couldn't be more correct, and they really are delicious hot off the
conveyor. The only type I really liked was the traditional glazed.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Oxymoron: Rear Admiral.