Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corn fritter recipe (was Unexpected kitchen gift!

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:24:36 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> Christine Dabney > wrote in

>>> Y'all who don't like fritters haven't had great ones.
>>>
>>> My mother made them all the time when I was growing up: corn and apple
>>> fritters. If they are made well, they are not greasy and can be very
>>> light.
>>>
>>> Christine
>>>

>> So post the recipe all ready!!!

> I don't have a recipe. In fact, even though my mother made them, I
> haven't in years and years. I am pretty sure I did under her tutelage
> when I was growing up, but I haven't done it in a very, very, very
> long time. Like at least 40 years...LOL.
>
> Hmm...I should go looking for one..and try them again. I loved the
> corn fritters my mother made.

This corn fritter recipe is my favorite. It's why the cookbook it's in
has moved with me for 20 years, when almost nothing else has:

Title: Corn Fritters
Servings: 4
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Category: Breads
Rating: 5/5 stars
Source: _How I Feed My Family on $16 a Week_, by Jo Ann York (1975)

---
Ingredients
---
2/3 cup flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 8-ounce can corn, drained
1/2 cup vegetable oil or shortening

---
Instructions
---

1. Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a 1 1/2-quart bowl.
2. In another bowl blend milk and egg. Add to flour mixture. Stir in
corn.
3. Heat oil to medium-high temperature in a large frying pan. Drop
batter by tablespoons into hot oil and fry until golden, about 4
minutes on each side.
Yield: 4 servings (about 8 fritters)

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> This corn fritter recipe is my favorite. It's why the cookbook it's in has
> moved with me for 20 years, when almost nothing else has:
>
> Title: Corn Fritters
> Servings: 4
> Cooking Time: 20 minutes
> Preparation Time: 5 minutes
> Category: Breads
> Rating: 5/5 stars
> Source: _How I Feed My Family on $16 a Week_, by Jo Ann York (1975)

OMG! I remember that lady! I read an article about her in Family Circle or
Woman's Day. She had some pretty crazy ways of stretching a dollar and my
mom and I had a few good laughs reading it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dejablues wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>> This corn fritter recipe is my favorite. It's why the cookbook it's in has
>> moved with me for 20 years, when almost nothing else has:
>>
>> Title: Corn Fritters
>> Servings: 4
>> Cooking Time: 20 minutes
>> Preparation Time: 5 minutes
>> Category: Breads
>> Rating: 5/5 stars
>> Source: _How I Feed My Family on $16 a Week_, by Jo Ann York (1975)

> OMG! I remember that lady! I read an article about her in Family Circle or
> Woman's Day. She had some pretty crazy ways of stretching a dollar and my
> mom and I had a few good laughs reading it.

Oh, the book is HIGH-larious. But it's something I read with both
amusement and affection, because it really did help me when I was a
teenager and figuring out how to feed myself on a very small budget.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unexpected kitchen gift!

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>> If you have Oklahoma, I bet the panhandles break off 95% of the time!
>> Lynn in Fargo

I bt Cape Cod doesn't fare very well in MA or Long Island in NY!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:
> is it really necessary to peel the green off? am i mistaken, or have
> i seen watermelon rind pickles with some green still on them?
>
> your pal,
> blake

You're mistaken. I cannot in my wildest imagination see leaving the
tough skin on.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message

> Source: _How I Feed My Family on $16 a Week_, by Jo Ann York (1975)

Once I read this book title I completely forgot to read the recipe. Could
you please post the book?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The UnInmate wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>> Source: _How I Feed My Family on $16 a Week_, by Jo Ann York (1975)

> Once I read this book title I completely forgot to read the recipe. Could
> you please post the book?

Heh.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:48:15 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> >Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> >> You did miss it. Or it was posted somewhere else. Star brand peeler
> >> made in Switzerland. U-shape. Google turned it up.
> >> --
> >>

> >TY. We have a good one of those, not that brand though. Will give it a
> >go!

> is it really necessary to peel the green off? am i mistaken, or have
> i seen watermelon rind pickles with some green still on them?
>
> your pal,
> blake

In my rather limited experience with watermelon pickle, haven't seen any
with rind on it. That rind is pretty tough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

> The message >
> from Arri London > contains these words:
>
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > >
> > > On Thu 10 Jul 2008 02:38:52a, Janet Baraclough told us...

> > > And then the movie, "Janet, the Brit Who Ate Texas!"

> > In 3-D of course.

> And sounderama. Great news, folks; it's going to co-star George
> Clooney as the man who brushes the crumbs off afterwards..
>
> Janet

Hmmm... the mind boggles!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:58:21 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
> >

> >Janet Baraclough wrote:
> >>
> >> The message >
> >> from blake murphy > contains these words:

> >> As a Brit, I'd sooner eat Texas.
> >>
> >> Janet.

> >LOL. So would a lot of people in New Mexico...
> >
> >The cutters are not to scale, so tiny states such as Delaware are as
> >large as Texas. What that signifies politically in this US election year
> >I don't care to speculate.

> Invasion of the Terrifying Mutant Delaware! starring joe biden.
>
> your pal,
> harry

LOL. The cutter for DC isn't all that large. Waiting to see what Rhode
Island looks like, when it arrives.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> The UnInmate wrote:
>> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>>> Source: _How I Feed My Family on $16 a Week_, by Jo Ann York (1975)

>> Once I read this book title I completely forgot to read the recipe. Could
>> you please post the book?

> Heh.
>
> Serene

I would totally buy if it was available, but ebay and amazon say it's not.
:-/
Along the same lines, I have a Family Circle Low Cost Main Dishes cookbook
published in 1977, and the tips and recipes in there are very useful, and
it's one book I go back to over and over again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dejablues wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>> The UnInmate wrote:
>>> Once I read this book title I completely forgot to read the recipe. Could
>>> you please post the book?

>> Heh.
>>
>> Serene

> I would totally buy if it was available, but ebay and amazon say it's not.
> :-/

There are many copies on abebooks.com, but they're *expensive*.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...Week&x=74&y=15

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> dejablues wrote:
>>> Heh.
>>>
>>> Serene

>> I would totally buy if it was available, but ebay and amazon say it's
>> not. :-/

> There are many copies on abebooks.com, but they're *expensive*.
>
> http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...Week&x=74&y=15
>
> Serene
>
> --
> "I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef

Serene, the link says $27.51. I guess you're not accustomed to Canadian book
prices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The UnInmate" > wrote in
:

> Serene, the link says $27.51. I guess you're not accustomed to
> Canadian book prices.

Hell I'm Canadian and I've spent $30 on paperback novells. Any book costing
$28 is not expensive.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 16:11:56 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>> is it really necessary to peel the green off? am i mistaken, or have
>> i seen watermelon rind pickles with some green still on them?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>You're mistaken. I cannot in my wildest imagination see leaving the
>tough skin on.

well, i am a city boy. i'm sure you Do the Right Thing.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 17:33:34 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:48:15 -0600, Arri London >
>> wrote:

>> >TY. We have a good one of those, not that brand though. Will give it a
>> >go!

>> is it really necessary to peel the green off? am i mistaken, or have
>> i seen watermelon rind pickles with some green still on them?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>In my rather limited experience with watermelon pickle, haven't seen any
>with rind on it. That rind is pretty tough.

i must be thinking of cucumbers, then.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The UnInmate wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>> dejablues wrote:

>>> I would totally buy if it was available, but ebay and amazon say it's
>>> not. :-/

>> There are many copies on abebooks.com, but they're *expensive*.
>>
>> http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...Week&x=74&y=15
>>
>> Serene
>>
>> --
>> "I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef

> Serene, the link says $27.51. I guess you're not accustomed to Canadian book
> prices.

Guess not. I have never paid that much for a used non-textbook in my life.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 05:33:17 -0400, "The UnInmate"
> wrote:

>"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>> dejablues wrote:

>>> I would totally buy if it was available, but ebay and amazon say it's
>>> not. :-/

>> There are many copies on abebooks.com, but they're *expensive*.
>>
>> http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...Week&x=74&y=15
>>
>> Serene
>>
>> --
>> "I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef

>Serene, the link says $27.51. I guess you're not accustomed to Canadian book
>prices.

just feed the family on $15 a week for a few months.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:30:53 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 16:11:56 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> blake murphy > wrote:
>>> is it really necessary to peel the green off? am i mistaken, or have
>>> i seen watermelon rind pickles with some green still on them?
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>>You're mistaken. I cannot in my wildest imagination see leaving the
>>tough skin on.

>well, i am a city boy. i'm sure you Do the Right Thing.

Eating the skin of a watermelon rind is what makes men out of boys.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:55:05 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>Do have Oklahoma...just won't roll out the dough too thin. Should work
>well enough. Chocolate chips for the various state capitals.

Great idea!

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 04:04:13 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Yes, in fact their license plates from years ago were actually shaped
>exactly like the state, not the usual rectangle.

Cute! It's an idea that would be collectible if all 50 states did it
(although that was probably back when we still had 48). Some of our
states wouldn't fare as well though... Hawaii, California, Michigan,
Florida (or any vertical state for that matter). Guess that's why it
didn't catch on.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:55:04 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:30:53 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 16:11:56 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>>>You're mistaken. I cannot in my wildest imagination see leaving the
>>>tough skin on.

>>well, i am a city boy. i'm sure you Do the Right Thing.
>>

>Eating the skin of a watermelon rind is what makes men out of boys.

that must be where i made my mistake.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:55:05 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >Do have Oklahoma...just won't roll out the dough too thin. Should work
> >well enough. Chocolate chips for the various state capitals.

> Great idea!
>
> --

TY! Was going to do a 50-state biscuit/cookie layout for the state fair
later this year. However, putting all the states out on the table
resulted in too large a display to get there undamaged LOL. So will do a
small section of the country and leave it at that
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:09:49 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:55:05 -0600, Arri London >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Do have Oklahoma...just won't roll out the dough too thin. Should work
>> >well enough. Chocolate chips for the various state capitals.

>> Great idea!
>>
>> --

>TY! Was going to do a 50-state biscuit/cookie layout for the state fair
>later this year. However, putting all the states out on the table
>resulted in too large a display to get there undamaged LOL.

Why couldn't you assemble it there?

>So will do a
>small section of the country and leave it at that

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:09:49 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> >sf wrote:

> >> Great idea!
> >>
> >> --

> >TY! Was going to do a 50-state biscuit/cookie layout for the state fair
> >later this year. However, putting all the states out on the table
> >resulted in too large a display to get there undamaged LOL.

> Why couldn't you assemble it there?

No space for that sort of thing.

> >So will do a
> >small section of the country and leave it at that

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:45:41 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:09:49 -0600, Arri London >
>> wrote:

>> >TY! Was going to do a 50-state biscuit/cookie layout for the state fair
>> >later this year. However, putting all the states out on the table
>> >resulted in too large a display to get there undamaged LOL.

>> Why couldn't you assemble it there?

>No space for that sort of thing.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can title the part you decide on as if
it's the first of a series (hey, it's food art). You could pretend
it's a "period", like Picasso and his Blue Period. Yours could be
your South West Period, if you decide on that making part.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:45:41 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> >sf wrote:

> >> Why couldn't you assemble it there?

> >No space for that sort of thing.
> >

> Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can title the part you decide on as if
> it's the first of a series (hey, it's food art). You could pretend
> it's a "period", like Picasso and his Blue Period. Yours could be
> your South West Period, if you decide on that making part.

LOL. That's actually a very good idea, TY. Then next year do another
section. Might ice the chosen states in map-like colours (five of them)
to complete the effect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:04:06 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:45:41 -0600, Arri London >
>> wrote:

>> >No space for that sort of thing.
>> >

>> Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can title the part you decide on as if
>> it's the first of a series (hey, it's food art). You could pretend
>> it's a "period", like Picasso and his Blue Period. Yours could be
>> your South West Period, if you decide on that making part.
>>

>LOL. That's actually a very good idea, TY. Then next year do another
>section. Might ice the chosen states in map-like colours (five of them)
>to complete the effect.

Even better! I was going to suggest icing the boarders, but didn't
want to appear too <ahem, cough> bossy. I was also thinking you could
have fun indicating famous landmarks like the Painted Desert, Four
Corners, the Petrified Forest... you get the picture.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:04:06 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >LOL. That's actually a very good idea, TY. Then next year do another
> >section. Might ice the chosen states in map-like colours (five of them)
> >to complete the effect.

> Even better! I was going to suggest icing the boarders, but didn't
> want to appear too <ahem, cough> bossy.

LOL. But but no one is *ever* bossy in this group :P

I was also thinking you could
> have fun indicating famous landmarks like the Painted Desert, Four
> Corners, the Petrified Forest... you get the picture.

Hey these things are only a few centimetres/inches long or across!!
Don't have that sort of artistic skills on the miniature level.

One friend in NJ agreed to take shipment of a batch of cookies made in
that shape, provided they were 'iced' in toxic waste...