Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mental Blocks in the Kitchen

Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
never get right, despite how many times they do it.
Mine is trussing a chicken.

Yours?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
> never get right, despite how many times they do it.
> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>
> Yours?

Tucking in those darned turkey wings!

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:38:07 -0400, "Kswck" >
wrote:

>Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
>never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>Mine is trussing a chicken.

I would stop reading newsgroups and go back to the kitchen and
practice trussing. <vbbg>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
>never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>Mine is trussing a chicken.

You truss a chicken? Why? Just put its little wings behind it's neck
in a glamour pose and tie the legs, if you must. I haven't bothered
with legs in years because I always use a vertical roaster, so it's
not necessary.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
> never get right, despite how many times they do it.
> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>
> Yours?

Making caramel for Flan.
Either I just don't have enough patience for it or....? And I know it is
easy!!
<shrug>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Billy" <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote in message
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:38:07 -0400, "Kswck" >
> wrote:
>
>>Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
>>never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>>Mine is trussing a chicken.

> I would stop reading newsgroups and go back to the kitchen and
> practice trussing. <vbbg>

Oh, stop. It's just a question.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:38:07 -0400, "Kswck" >
> wrote:
>
>>Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
>>never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>>Mine is trussing a chicken.
>>
>>Yours?
>>

> I can't make gravy to save my life... I know it's fairly simple in
> theory but in practice it turns out runny, cold, lumpy, tasteless
> and/or like glue. So I don't make it any more... funnily enough, I
> have no problem at all making a white sauce or a cheese sauce - I just
> can't do meat gravies!

I am always grateful when I hear someone say they can't make gravy, that my
Grandma Ma taught me to make it when I was a kid. I love gravy. I plan meals
around gravy. What's for dinner? Gravy, with something under it.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
>never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>Mine is trussing a chicken.
>
>Yours?

I can't make gravy to save my life... I know it's fairly simple in
theory but in practice it turns out runny, cold, lumpy, tasteless
and/or like glue. So I don't make it any more... funnily enough, I
have no problem at all making a white sauce or a cheese sauce - I just
can't do meat gravies!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 15:45:07 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>"Kajikit" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:38:07 -0400, "Kswck" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
>>>never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>>>Mine is trussing a chicken.
>>>
>>>Yours?
>>>

>> I can't make gravy to save my life... I know it's fairly simple in
>> theory but in practice it turns out runny, cold, lumpy, tasteless
>> and/or like glue. So I don't make it any more... funnily enough, I
>> have no problem at all making a white sauce or a cheese sauce - I just
>> can't do meat gravies!

>I am always grateful when I hear someone say they can't make gravy, that my
>Grandma Ma taught me to make it when I was a kid. I love gravy. I plan meals
>around gravy. What's for dinner? Gravy, with something under it.

Maybe that's the problem - my mother never made gravy either! I know
she knows how, I think she just thought it was too much fiddling
around...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
> never get right, despite how many times they do it.
> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>
> Yours?

What I call "fast food" done at home. Liver and onions would be a good
example. I hate having to prepare three or so different things at the same
time. I get it right, but I sure hate doing stuff like that. Cooktop
becomes a total mess and I end up with lots of dirty pots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck > wrote:

> Mine is trussing a chicken.
> Yours?

Getting a chicken to truss me.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
> never get right, despite how many times they do it.
> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>
> Yours?

Pie crust. Lard, butter, salt and flour, for godssake and yet I have to
look up the quantities every damned time.

I never truss chickens, or turkeys for that matter. I just take the
stuffing that won't fit in the body cavity and pile it along the edges
of the legs and wings. Keeps the wings from drying out and provides
more delicious stuffing with crispy edges - much better than the stuff
baked in a pan along side.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
> never get right, despite how many times they do it.
> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>
> Yours?

I cannot seem to make flaky biscuits or pie crust. I mean, I can make
biscuits and I can make pie crust, but neither one is any great shakes.
I would love it if I could make really outstanding pie crust, rather
than just okay crusts.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
>> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they
>> can never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>>
>> Yours?

> I cannot seem to make flaky biscuits or pie crust. I mean, I can make
> biscuits and I can make pie crust, but neither one is any great shakes.
> I would love it if I could make really outstanding pie crust, rather
> than just okay crusts.
>
> Serene

Everyone has a specialty. My DW makes pie crusts to die for, she can't
make anything but heavy biscuits nine-tenths of the time, the other
tenth she makes them flaky. I can't make pie crusts worth a hoot nor can
I make a flaky biscuit. She can't pick out and cook meat properly but
does wonderful vegetables. Play to your strengths.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 18:46:36 -0400, Kajikit >
wrote:

> but in practice it turns out runny, cold,

Honey.....did you remember to turn the burner on?? It HAS to cook
and there is no way to do that unless you turn the heat on. There is
no way on earth to make runny, cold gravy.

Here is your basic formula for any gravy, bechemel, cream sauce.

1 tablespoon fat, i.e. butter

1 tablespoon flour

1 cup liquid i.e., milk, beef stock, chicken stock.

Just remember your formula is 1-1-1...........or 3-3-3 or....I think
you get the picture.

Melt butter completely over medium heat, Add flour and whisk until
the edges of the flour are bubbling and you "cook" the raw flour.

Add one cup warm liquid, your stock, or milk and return to boil.
Adjust seasonings and serve. Your sauce will be smooth and velvetly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
> never get right, despite how many times they do it.
> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>
> Yours?

I often walk into the kitchen and forget what my purpose was. Does that
count?

Maybe it would count more on alt.support.alzheimers?

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
>> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they
>> can never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>>
>> Yours?

> I cannot seem to make flaky biscuits or pie crust. I mean, I can make
> biscuits and I can make pie crust, but neither one is any great shakes.
> I would love it if I could make really outstanding pie crust, rather
> than just okay crusts.
>
> Serene

Try this if you use butter.

Store the butter in the freezer. Cut off the amount you want to use for
your crust or biscuits. Grate it through the large holes of a box grater
then work it through the flour with your fingertips.

I got this from those two large English ladies who used to have a
cooking show. One is now deceased, IIRC, but I can never recall their
names, just the name of the cooking show which was "Two Fat Ladies"

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 08 Jul 2008 04:43:46p, Serene Vannoy told us...

> Kswck wrote:
>> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they

can
>> never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>>
>> Yours?

> I cannot seem to make flaky biscuits or pie crust. I mean, I can make
> biscuits and I can make pie crust, but neither one is any great shakes.
> I would love it if I could make really outstanding pie crust, rather
> than just okay crusts.
>
> Serene

Serene, have you ever actually watched someone make a great pie crust or
great biscuits? This is how I initially learned, and it was from my mother
when I was growing up. These are at least two things that take more than
following a recipe to succeed. Like bread, there's a hands-on technique to
be learned. I think teaching oneself breadmaking skills is actually easier
than working with pastry or biscuits.

If you have a friend who does this well, perhaps they would take you
through it a time or two. You're a great cook, so you'd have no problem
picking up the technique if you saw it done properly. If you didn't live
so far from me, I would gladly show you. Beyond having good recipes, the
one element that they both share is having a very delicate touch.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 07(VII)/08(VIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 08 Jul 2008 05:38:05p, Janet Wilder told us...

> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> Kswck wrote:
>>> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they
>>> can never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>>> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>>>
>>> Yours?

>> I cannot seem to make flaky biscuits or pie crust. I mean, I can make
>> biscuits and I can make pie crust, but neither one is any great shakes.
>> I would love it if I could make really outstanding pie crust, rather
>> than just okay crusts.
>>
>> Serene
>>

> Try this if you use butter.
>
> Store the butter in the freezer. Cut off the amount you want to use for
> your crust or biscuits. Grate it through the large holes of a box grater
> then work it through the flour with your fingertips.

The grater does workk well, although I tend to have very warm hands and
fingers, so I generally use a fork or pastry blender, very gently. If you
use solid shortening, lard, or a blend of any of the solid fats, freezing
and grating is still a very technique.

> I got this from those two large English ladies who used to have a
> cooking show. One is now deceased, IIRC, but I can never recall their
> names, just the name of the cooking show which was "Two Fat Ladies"

They were Clarissa Dickson Wright and Jennifer Paterson. Jennifer
Paterson is deceased.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 07(VII)/08(VIII)/08(MMVIII)
I don't want constructive criticism.
It's all I can do to handle
constructive praise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> Kswck wrote:
>>> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they
>>> can never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>>> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>>>
>>> Yours?

>> I cannot seem to make flaky biscuits or pie crust. I mean, I can make
>> biscuits and I can make pie crust, but neither one is any great
>> shakes. I would love it if I could make really outstanding pie crust,
>> rather than just okay crusts.
>>
>> Serene
>>

> Try this if you use butter.
>
> Store the butter in the freezer. Cut off the amount you want to use for
> your crust or biscuits. Grate it through the large holes of a box grater
> then work it through the flour with your fingertips.
>
> I got this from those two large English ladies who used to have a
> cooking show. One is now deceased, IIRC, but I can never recall their
> names, just the name of the cooking show which was "Two Fat Ladies"

I'll try that, thanks!

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 08 Jul 2008 04:43:46p, Serene Vannoy told us...
>
>> Kswck wrote:
>>> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they

> can
>>> never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>>> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>>>
>>> Yours?

>> I cannot seem to make flaky biscuits or pie crust. I mean, I can make
>> biscuits and I can make pie crust, but neither one is any great shakes.
>> I would love it if I could make really outstanding pie crust, rather
>> than just okay crusts.
>>
>> Serene
>>

> Serene, have you ever actually watched someone make a great pie crust or
> great biscuits?

Yeah, but I have hot hands and I think there's also some sort of mental
block or some knack that I don't have. I've been making pie crusts since
I was small -- in fact, I was in charge of all the pies for Thanksgiving
from the time I was a pre-teen, but I've never been satisfied with the
crusts.

Serene
--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 08 Jul 2008 07:40:44p, Serene Vannoy told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I cannot seem to make flaky biscuits or pie crust. I mean, I can make
>>> biscuits and I can make pie crust, but neither one is any great shakes.
>>> I would love it if I could make really outstanding pie crust, rather
>>> than just okay crusts.
>>>
>>> Serene
>>>

>> Serene, have you ever actually watched someone make a great pie crust or
>> great biscuits?

> Yeah, but I have hot hands and I think there's also some sort of mental
> block or some knack that I don't have. I've been making pie crusts since
> I was small -- in fact, I was in charge of all the pies for Thanksgiving
> from the time I was a pre-teen, but I've never been satisfied with the
> crusts.
>
> Serene

I have not hands, too, so I've learned to touch the dough as little as
possible with my hands. I never mix it with my fingers. I try to use
other implement like forks or a pastry blender instead. I'm sure you know
all about chilling dough, and not working too much flour into it, or an
excess of water when bringing the dough together. It's still more about
technique than recipe. A higher fat content usually yields a flakier
product, too.

I have to admit that sometimes my pie crusts are always as flaky as they
usually are, but there's usually a reason that I figure out after thinking
about what I did.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 07(VII)/08(VIII)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must supervise the painting of
the guest room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message

> I cannot seem to make flaky biscuits or pie crust. I mean, I can make
> biscuits and I can make pie crust, but neither one is any great shakes. I
> would love it if I could make really outstanding pie crust, rather than
> just okay crusts.

You and me both, Serene! My DH was the baker in the house and we haven't had
a decent pie crust since he went to that Great Bakery in the Sky. Biscuits
I've mastered, but pie crust? Nope.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:00:48 -0400, Kajikit >
wrote:

>Maybe that's the problem - my mother never made gravy either! I know
>she knows how, I think she just thought it was too much fiddling
>around...

What's to fiddle? Put some a little flour and a little more water in
a jar, shake it to eliminate lumps and pour it into the meat juice.
Stir with a whisk every now and then, add more water if necessary.
Season with a drop or two of worcestershire sauce, s & p and you're
done. Of course, this done in the roasting pan so you get every
little speck of fond into your gravy.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:43:46 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>Kswck wrote:
>> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
>> never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>>
>> Yours?

>I cannot seem to make flaky biscuits or pie crust. I mean, I can make
>biscuits and I can make pie crust, but neither one is any great shakes.
>I would love it if I could make really outstanding pie crust, rather
>than just okay crusts.

I bet your "ok" is what most people aspire to. I make ok crusts too,
but my friend's 90 year old mother makes outstanding crusts. It's
absolutely amazing how flaky they are.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
> never get right, despite how many times they do it.
> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>
> Yours?

I dunno about inability to get it right, but I have an aversion to
making confections that require use of a candy thermometer.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:59:21 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:38:07 -0400, "Kswck" >
>wrote:
>
>>Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
>>never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>>Mine is trussing a chicken.
>>

>You truss a chicken? Why? Just put its little wings behind it's neck
>in a glamour pose and tie the legs, if you must. I haven't bothered
>with legs in years because I always use a vertical roaster, so it's
>not necessary.

if you don't truss them, they might escape.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 18:18:57 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Kswck > wrote:
>
>> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>> Yours?

>Getting a chicken to truss me.
>
>-sw

clearly, you're not debasing the pan properly.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:33:47 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Kswck wrote:
>> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they can
>> never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>>
>> Yours?
>>

>I often walk into the kitchen and forget what my purpose was. Does that
>count?
>
>Maybe it would count more on alt.support.alzheimers?

at least you remembered you were walking into the kitchen. sometimes
i roll into the kitchen and then remember i wanted something from the
living room.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
>> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they
>> can never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>>
>> Yours?
>>

> I dunno about inability to get it right, but I have an aversion to
> making confections that require use of a candy thermometer.

I learned to make toffee on purpose so that (a) I could get past that
block; and (b) I could have something to make for potlucks that would
impress people but not be too much work. It worked too well -- now
everyone wants toffee and I've made it so often that it's not really fun
any more.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:33:47 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>>Kswck wrote:
>>> Everyone has some sort of 'mental block' for some procedure that they
>>> can
>>> never get right, despite how many times they do it.
>>> Mine is trussing a chicken.
>>>
>>> Yours?
>>>

>>I often walk into the kitchen and forget what my purpose was. Does that
>>count?
>>
>>Maybe it would count more on alt.support.alzheimers?

> at least you remembered you were walking into the kitchen. sometimes
> i roll into the kitchen and then remember i wanted something from the
> living room.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I find this soooooo comforting....

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:48:25 -0700, "TammyM" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:33:47 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:

>>>I often walk into the kitchen and forget what my purpose was. Does that
>>>count?
>>>
>>>Maybe it would count more on alt.support.alzheimers?

>> at least you remembered you were walking into the kitchen. sometimes
>> i roll into the kitchen and then remember i wanted something from the
>> living room.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>I find this soooooo comforting....
>
>TammyM

most men lead lives of quiet deterioration.

your pal,
henry david
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:48:25 -0700, "TammyM" >
> wrote:
>

>>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:33:47 -0500, Janet Wilder

>>> at least you remembered you were walking into the kitchen. sometimes
>>> i roll into the kitchen and then remember i wanted something from the
>>> living room.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>>I find this soooooo comforting....
>>
>>TammyM
>>

> most men lead lives of quiet deterioration.

I bet you have plenty of good stuff left.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:57:13 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:48:25 -0700, "TammyM" >
>> wrote:

>>>I find this soooooo comforting....
>>>
>>>TammyM
>>>

>> most men lead lives of quiet deterioration.
>>

>I bet you have plenty of good stuff left.

BEWARE! Don't fall for the beaten puppy dog look that goes along with
his line.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:48:25 -0700, "TammyM" >
>> wrote:

>>>I find this soooooo comforting....
>>>
>>>TammyM
>>>

>> most men lead lives of quiet deterioration.
>>

>I bet you have plenty of good stuff left.

i'm told i have my moments.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:24:50 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:57:13 -0400, "cybercat" >
>wrote:
>

>>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..

m...

>>> most men lead lives of quiet deterioration.
>>>

>>I bet you have plenty of good stuff left.
>>

>BEWARE! Don't fall for the beaten puppy dog look that goes along with
>his line.

at least i've cut back on the piteous whining.

your pal,
blake

Mental block in the kitchen Kswck General Cooking 59 25-10-2008 06:12 PM
Mental block in the kitchen bulka[_2_] General Cooking 0 22-10-2008 08:35 AM
Butcher's Blocks (UK) Steve Hodgson General Cooking 1 11-03-2006 01:15 PM
Haichao Tea Blocks Scott Dorsey Tea 2 26-07-2005 10:07 PM
Care of knife blocks robert General Cooking 2 21-12-2003 12:32 PM