Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My Barbeque Rub

With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with a
mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar, and a
few hot pepper flakes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
3 each whole cloves
1 each large bay leaf

Combine brown sugar, chili powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion,
paprika, salt, and Old Bay seasoning in a medium mixing bowl.

Combine peppercorns, coriander seeds, allspice berries, cumin seeds,
cloves, and bay leaf in spice mill and grind until mixture is reduced to a
fine powder.

Add ground spices to mixture in mixing bowl. Blend well with wire whisk.
If there are any remaining lumps in mixture, pass through a fine sieve.

Store mixture in an airtight container.

Yield:
"2 cups (approx.)"

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 20:56:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
>another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
>Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with a
>mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar, and a
>few hot pepper flakes.
>

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub

Now you tell me...LOL

I already made up one from The Barbecue Bible....but this one looks
very good.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 02:05:48p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 20:56:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
>>another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
>>Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with a
>>mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar, and

>>few hot pepper flakes.
>>

>>* Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub
>>

> Now you tell me...LOL
>
> I already made up one from The Barbecue Bible....but this one looks
> very good.
>
> Christine

Try it next time, Christine. It's really good. I think it's been nearly
25 years ago that I first put this together and wrote it down.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
I'd love to, but my crayons all melted
together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:16:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Try it next time, Christine. It's really good. I think it's been nearly
>25 years ago that I first put this together and wrote it down.

Do you like it on anything in particular? Ribs, pork butts, chicken,
whatever?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 02:19:45p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:16:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>Try it next time, Christine. It's really good. I think it's been nearly
>>25 years ago that I first put this together and wrote it down.

> Do you like it on anything in particular? Ribs, pork butts, chicken,
> whatever?
>
> Christine

I like it best on pork ribs or butts, but I've used it on beef ribs and
short ribs and think it's equally good. Guess I just prefer pork as a
meat. :-) David really likes it on chicken because it really gives it some
flavor. We get very tired of chicken on the grill without a lot of
seasoning. Sometimes I shake some on burger patties before grilling.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
If you could print all the money you
wanted, and steal all the money you
wanted, couldn't you manage to stay
out of debt?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:24:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I like it best on pork ribs or butts, but I've used it on beef ribs and
>short ribs and think it's equally good. Guess I just prefer pork as a
>meat. :-) David really likes it on chicken because it really gives it some
>flavor. We get very tired of chicken on the grill without a lot of
>seasoning. Sometimes I shake some on burger patties before grilling.

Okay..next slab of ribs...

My butt is smokin' along. I think I have hit the infamous "stall"
that I read about...the temp is hanging around 170 degrees ...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 02:29:05p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:24:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>I like it best on pork ribs or butts, but I've used it on beef ribs and
>>short ribs and think it's equally good. Guess I just prefer pork as a
>>meat. :-) David really likes it on chicken because it really gives it
>>some flavor. We get very tired of chicken on the grill without a lot of
>>seasoning. Sometimes I shake some on burger patties before grilling.

> Okay..next slab of ribs...
>
> My butt is smokin' along. I think I have hit the infamous "stall"
> that I read about...the temp is hanging around 170 degrees ...
>
> Christine

What was your rub like for the butt?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
A little inaccuracy saves tons of
explanation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
> another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
> Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with a
> mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar, and a
> few hot pepper flakes.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 1 cup light brown sugar
> 1/2 cup chili powder
> 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
> 1 tablespoon granulated onion
> 1 tablespoon paprika
> 2 teaspoons salt
> 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
> 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
> 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
> 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
> 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
> 3 each whole cloves
> 1 each large bay leaf
>
> Combine brown sugar, chili powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion,
> paprika, salt, and Old Bay seasoning in a medium mixing bowl.
>
> Combine peppercorns, coriander seeds, allspice berries, cumin seeds,
> cloves, and bay leaf in spice mill and grind until mixture is reduced to a
> fine powder.
>
> Add ground spices to mixture in mixing bowl. Blend well with wire whisk.
> If there are any remaining lumps in mixture, pass through a fine sieve.
>
> Store mixture in an airtight container.

When I started doing 'Q I experimented with a few rub recipes from
various sources. I came to the conclusion that 1. a rub should not
contain any sugars, and 2. most rub recipes were more complicated than
necessary.

My rub recipe:

50% Chili powder (Tone's works well)
20% Garlic powder
10% Paprika
10% Kosher salt
10% Black pepper

Makes as much as you want
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 02:32:51p, Pete C. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
>> another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
>> Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with
>> a mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar,
>> and a few hot pepper flakes.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories :
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 cup light brown sugar
>> 1/2 cup chili powder
>> 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
>> 1 tablespoon granulated onion
>> 1 tablespoon paprika
>> 2 teaspoons salt
>> 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
>> 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
>> 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
>> 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
>> 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
>> 3 each whole cloves
>> 1 each large bay leaf
>>
>> Combine brown sugar, chili powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion,
>> paprika, salt, and Old Bay seasoning in a medium mixing bowl.
>>
>> Combine peppercorns, coriander seeds, allspice berries, cumin seeds,
>> cloves, and bay leaf in spice mill and grind until mixture is reduced
>> to a fine powder.
>>
>> Add ground spices to mixture in mixing bowl. Blend well with wire
>> whisk. If there are any remaining lumps in mixture, pass through a fine
>> sieve.
>>
>> Store mixture in an airtight container.

> When I started doing 'Q I experimented with a few rub recipes from
> various sources. I came to the conclusion that 1. a rub should not
> contain any sugars, and 2. most rub recipes were more complicated than
> necessary.
>
> My rub recipe:
>
> 50% Chili powder (Tone's works well)
> 20% Garlic powder
> 10% Paprika
> 10% Kosher salt
> 10% Black pepper
>
> Makes as much as you want

Like most cooking, ingredients are a matter of personal preference. I
prefer a more complex flavor as well as a sweet base.

Nothing wrong with either style. I would enjoy the simplicity of your
recipe, but I would feel compelled to add sugar. :-)

FWIW, I can't stand barbecue sauces, used either during cooking or at
table.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
To the old cat, the tender mouse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:32:41 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>What was your rub like for the butt?

I didn't rub the butt.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 02:47:17p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:32:41 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>What was your rub like for the butt?

> I didn't rub the butt.
>
> Christine

What do you plan to do with it when done? Pulled pork? Seasonings, sauce?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
No matter where you go, there you are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:51:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>What do you plan to do with it when done? Pulled pork? Seasonings, sauce?

It will turn into pulled/chopped pork... I made a NC style vinegar
sauce to go with it..and I will add a bit of that to the pulled pork,
with the rest to be served on the side. Buns and coleslaw to make
pulled pork sandwiches for those that want it.

I did this about 6 years ago, on my Weber kettle...but this time it is
in the smoker.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 02:55:08p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:51:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>What do you plan to do with it when done? Pulled pork? Seasonings,

sauce?

> It will turn into pulled/chopped pork... I made a NC style vinegar
> sauce to go with it..and I will add a bit of that to the pulled pork,
> with the rest to be served on the side. Buns and coleslaw to make
> pulled pork sandwiches for those that want it.

Ah, that sounds delicious! When I was a kid we frequently drove from
Missouri to Mississippi to visit relatives. We would always stop at a pit
barbecue place in Blythville, Arkansas for that very type of sandwich. A
very fond memory.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
The mice may have the right but the
cat has the claws.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub

>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 cup light brown sugar
>> 1/2 cup chili powder
>> 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
>> 1 tablespoon granulated onion
>> 1 tablespoon paprika
>> 2 teaspoons salt
>> 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
>> 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
>> 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
>> 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
>> 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
>> 3 each whole cloves
>> 1 each large bay leaf

I got the sweet part....but where did I miss the HOT part? Was there
an ingredient missing?

I would have added a five tablespoons cayenne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 03:28:38p, Billy told us...

>>> Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub

>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 1 cup light brown sugar
>>> 1/2 cup chili powder
>>> 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
>>> 1 tablespoon granulated onion
>>> 1 tablespoon paprika
>>> 2 teaspoons salt
>>> 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
>>> 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
>>> 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
>>> 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
>>> 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
>>> 3 each whole cloves 1 each large bay
>>> leaf

> I got the sweet part....but where did I miss the HOT part? Was there
> an ingredient missing?
>
> I would have added a five tablespoons cayenne.

Five tablespoons of cayenne would send me to the emergency room. :-)

The chili powder I use is pretty hot, actually. If I use a milder one, I
add a teaspoon or two of cayenne. I guess we all have different thresholds
of "hot".

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
Lightning is one hell of a murder
weapon -- and the best part is, it
can't be traced.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
>> another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
>> Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with a
>> mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar, and
>> few hot pepper flakes.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories :
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 cup light brown sugar
>> 1/2 cup chili powder
>> 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
>> 1 tablespoon granulated onion
>> 1 tablespoon paprika
>> 2 teaspoons salt
>> 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
>> 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
>> 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
>> 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
>> 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
>> 3 each whole cloves
>> 1 each large bay leaf
>>
>> Combine brown sugar, chili powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion,
>> paprika, salt, and Old Bay seasoning in a medium mixing bowl.
>>
>> Combine peppercorns, coriander seeds, allspice berries, cumin seeds,
>> cloves, and bay leaf in spice mill and grind until mixture is reduced to
>> fine powder.
>>
>> Add ground spices to mixture in mixing bowl. Blend well with wire whisk.
>> If there are any remaining lumps in mixture, pass through a fine sieve.
>>
>> Store mixture in an airtight container.

> When I started doing 'Q I experimented with a few rub recipes from
> various sources. I came to the conclusion that 1. a rub should not
> contain any sugars, and 2. most rub recipes were more complicated than
> necessary.
>
> My rub recipe:
>
> 50% Chili powder (Tone's works well)
> 20% Garlic powder
> 10% Paprika
> 10% Kosher salt
> 10% Black pepper
>
> Makes as much as you want

I have to disagree...a rub should most definitely have a little sugar. Not
only does it add to the complexity of flavors by caramelization, it also
helps to create a delicious crust.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
6.120...
> With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
> another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
> Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with a
> mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar, and a
> few hot pepper flakes.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 1 cup light brown sugar
> 1/2 cup chili powder
> 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
> 1 tablespoon granulated onion
> 1 tablespoon paprika
> 2 teaspoons salt
> 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
> 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
> 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
> 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
> 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
> 3 each whole cloves
> 1 each large bay leaf
>
> Combine brown sugar, chili powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion,
> paprika, salt, and Old Bay seasoning in a medium mixing bowl.
>
> Combine peppercorns, coriander seeds, allspice berries, cumin seeds,
> cloves, and bay leaf in spice mill and grind until mixture is reduced to a
> fine powder.
>
> Add ground spices to mixture in mixing bowl. Blend well with wire whisk.
> If there are any remaining lumps in mixture, pass through a fine sieve.
>
> Store mixture in an airtight container.
>
> Yield:
> "2 cups (approx.)"
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Thanks for posting this Wayne...I'm always interested in new rub recipes! It
actually sounds similar to the one I use most often, except I never thought
to use Old Bay seasoning!

My last rub, I used ancho chile powder mixed with a little guajillo, and
really liked the flavor I got from that. I also added smoked paprika, which
I've grown to love.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 05 Jul 2008 09:55:27a, Nexis told us...

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
>>> another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
>>> Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with

>>> mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar,

and
>>> a few hot pepper flakes.
>>>

>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub
>>>
>>> Recipe By :
>>> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories :
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 1 cup light brown sugar
>>> 1/2 cup chili powder
>>> 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
>>> 1 tablespoon granulated onion
>>> 1 tablespoon paprika
>>> 2 teaspoons salt
>>> 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
>>> 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
>>> 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
>>> 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
>>> 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
>>> 3 each whole cloves
>>> 1 each large bay leaf
>>>
>>> Combine brown sugar, chili powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion,
>>> paprika, salt, and Old Bay seasoning in a medium mixing bowl.
>>>
>>> Combine peppercorns, coriander seeds, allspice berries, cumin seeds,
>>> cloves, and bay leaf in spice mill and grind until mixture is reduced

>>> a fine powder.
>>>
>>> Add ground spices to mixture in mixing bowl. Blend well with wire

whisk.
>>> If there are any remaining lumps in mixture, pass through a fine sieve.
>>>
>>> Store mixture in an airtight container.

>> When I started doing 'Q I experimented with a few rub recipes from
>> various sources. I came to the conclusion that 1. a rub should not
>> contain any sugars, and 2. most rub recipes were more complicated than
>> necessary.
>>
>> My rub recipe:
>>
>> 50% Chili powder (Tone's works well)
>> 20% Garlic powder
>> 10% Paprika
>> 10% Kosher salt
>> 10% Black pepper
>>
>> Makes as much as you want

> I have to disagree...a rub should most definitely have a little sugar.

Not
> only does it add to the complexity of flavors by caramelization, it also
> helps to create a delicious crust.
>
> kimberly

Exactly so.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 05 Jul 2008 09:59:27a, Nexis told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 6.120...
>> With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
>> another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
>> Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with
>> a mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar,
>> and a few hot pepper flakes.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories :
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 cup light brown sugar
>> 1/2 cup chili powder
>> 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
>> 1 tablespoon granulated onion
>> 1 tablespoon paprika
>> 2 teaspoons salt
>> 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
>> 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
>> 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
>> 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
>> 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
>> 3 each whole cloves
>> 1 each large bay leaf
>>
>> Combine brown sugar, chili powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion,
>> paprika, salt, and Old Bay seasoning in a medium mixing bowl.
>>
>> Combine peppercorns, coriander seeds, allspice berries, cumin seeds,
>> cloves, and bay leaf in spice mill and grind until mixture is reduced
>> to a fine powder.
>>
>> Add ground spices to mixture in mixing bowl. Blend well with wire
>> whisk. If there are any remaining lumps in mixture, pass through a fine
>> sieve.
>>
>> Store mixture in an airtight container.
>>
>> Yield:
>> "2 cups (approx.)"
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Thanks for posting this Wayne...I'm always interested in new rub
> recipes! It actually sounds similar to the one I use most often, except
> I never thought to use Old Bay seasoning!

You are welcome. The Old Bay was a "toss in" I tried years ago and liked
it, so it stuck. I always kept notes on this rub until I got it just the
way I liked it, then finally put it in my software.

> My last rub, I used ancho chile powder mixed with a little guajillo, and
> really liked the flavor I got from that. I also added smoked paprika,
> which I've grown to love.

Actually, ancho is what is usually used. I have never see guajillo, but
will look for it now. What sort of flavor does it have? If I happen to
have smoked paprika, I do use that, but I'm often out of it, so use
Hungarian sweet or hot, whatever is on the shelf.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)
Friends help you move. Real friends
help you move bodies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> >
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >>
> >> With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
> >> another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
> >> Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with a
> >> mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar, and
> >> few hot pepper flakes.
> >>

> >> * Exported from MasterCook *
> >>
> >> Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub
> >>
> >> Recipe By :
> >> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> >> Categories :
> >>
> >> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> >> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> >> 1 cup light brown sugar
> >> 1/2 cup chili powder
> >> 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
> >> 1 tablespoon granulated onion
> >> 1 tablespoon paprika
> >> 2 teaspoons salt
> >> 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
> >> 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
> >> 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
> >> 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
> >> 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
> >> 3 each whole cloves
> >> 1 each large bay leaf
> >>
> >> Combine brown sugar, chili powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion,
> >> paprika, salt, and Old Bay seasoning in a medium mixing bowl.
> >>
> >> Combine peppercorns, coriander seeds, allspice berries, cumin seeds,
> >> cloves, and bay leaf in spice mill and grind until mixture is reduced to
> >> fine powder.
> >>
> >> Add ground spices to mixture in mixing bowl. Blend well with wire whisk.
> >> If there are any remaining lumps in mixture, pass through a fine sieve.
> >>
> >> Store mixture in an airtight container.

> > When I started doing 'Q I experimented with a few rub recipes from
> > various sources. I came to the conclusion that 1. a rub should not
> > contain any sugars, and 2. most rub recipes were more complicated than
> > necessary.
> >
> > My rub recipe:
> >
> > 50% Chili powder (Tone's works well)
> > 20% Garlic powder
> > 10% Paprika
> > 10% Kosher salt
> > 10% Black pepper
> >
> > Makes as much as you want

> I have to disagree...a rub should most definitely have a little sugar. Not
> only does it add to the complexity of flavors by caramelization, it also
> helps to create a delicious crust.
>
> kimberly

Nope. Stop by some time and try my brisket, ribs and pulled pork and
then you can tell me it needs sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 05 Jul 2008 05:41:24p, Pete C. told us...

> Nexis wrote:

>> > When I started doing 'Q I experimented with a few rub recipes from
>> > various sources. I came to the conclusion that 1. a rub should not
>> > contain any sugars, and 2. most rub recipes were more complicated
>> > than necessary.
>> >
>> > My rub recipe:
>> >
>> > 50% Chili powder (Tone's works well)
>> > 20% Garlic powder
>> > 10% Paprika
>> > 10% Kosher salt
>> > 10% Black pepper
>> >
>> > Makes as much as you want

>> I have to disagree...a rub should most definitely have a little sugar.
>> Not only does it add to the complexity of flavors by caramelization, it
>> also helps to create a delicious crust.
>>
>> kimberly

> Nope. Stop by some time and try my brisket, ribs and pulled pork and
> then you can tell me it needs sugar.

I agree with Kimberly's comments, but additionally, how else would one get
some sweetness in the flavor but not for adding sugar? Some folks don't
like sweet barbecue, some do. You do know how many different "schools" of
barbecue there are, don't you?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)
If 'if' statements had no 'then' clauses,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sat 05 Jul 2008 05:41:24p, Pete C. told us...
>

> > Nexis wrote:

> >> I have to disagree...a rub should most definitely have a little sugar.
> >> Not only does it add to the complexity of flavors by caramelization, it
> >> also helps to create a delicious crust.
> >>
> >> kimberly

> > Nope. Stop by some time and try my brisket, ribs and pulled pork and
> > then you can tell me it needs sugar.
> >

> I agree with Kimberly's comments, but additionally, how else would one get
> some sweetness in the flavor but not for adding sugar? Some folks don't
> like sweet barbecue, some do. You do know how many different "schools" of
> barbecue there are, don't you?

My ribs are plenty sweet, but not sickeningly sweet. The sweet comes
from the juices in the meat over the loooong cook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 05 Jul 2008 07:41:19p, Pete C. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

spritz

bowl.

seeds,

sugar.

it

>> > Nope. Stop by some time and try my brisket, ribs and pulled pork and
>> > then you can tell me it needs sugar.
>> >

>> I agree with Kimberly's comments, but additionally, how else would one

get
>> some sweetness in the flavor but not for adding sugar? Some folks don't
>> like sweet barbecue, some do. You do know how many different "schools"

of
>> barbecue there are, don't you?

> My ribs are plenty sweet, but not sickeningly sweet. The sweet comes
> from the juices in the meat over the loooong cook.

It's still a matter of personal preferance and taste. There's no right or
wrong about it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)
Oh, for crying out loud.. you know I
love you..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 09:55:27 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>I have to disagree...a rub should most definitely have a little sugar. Not
>only does it add to the complexity of flavors by caramelization, it also
>helps to create a delicious crust.

I'm not convinced about rubs with chili or cumin. I think I prefer
marinades.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 05 Jul 2008 09:00:10p, told us...

> On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 09:55:27 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:
>
>>I have to disagree...a rub should most definitely have a little sugar.

Not
>>only does it add to the complexity of flavors by caramelization, it also
>>helps to create a delicious crust.

> I'm not convinced about rubs with chili or cumin. I think I prefer
> marinades.

I don't like rubs for ribs without chili in it. I can skip the cumin, but
I do like a *little*. I do like marinades, but definitely not for BBQ.
Rubs help develop a good char and crust.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)
'If we do not succeed, we run the risk
of failure.' -- Dan Quayle

barbeque? Silvyu Asian Cooking 0 05-11-2011 04:21 PM
ENC vs WNC Barbeque Guv Bob Barbecue 9 30-09-2007 05:00 PM
Barbeque biig General Cooking 45 04-07-2006 07:13 AM
barbeque Angela General Cooking 12 06-02-2006 06:48 PM
barbeque Angela Barbecue 25 06-02-2006 06:48 PM