Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default M.F.K. Fisher's 100th Anniversary today!

She died in 1993.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...,3602486.story
(yesterday's article: Marking M.F.K. Fisher's 100th birthday)

First lines:

M.F.K. Fisher, who would have turned 100 on Thursday, was one of the
first food writers to untangle all that's bound up in eating: the
pleasure, the sentiment, the anxiety. Her best-remembered stories
describe the magic of tangerines drying on radiators or the fuzz
skimmed from her grandmother's strawberry jam.

But those are stories for better times. In "How to Cook a Wolf"—the
book she wrote just after the bombing of Pearl Harbor in 1941—the
focus was on surviving with "grace and gusto." It was a rally cry, a
way to seize control during difficult times and find solace in the
daily routine of eating. It suggested ways to indulge in what you
have, while dreaming about what you didn't.

Sound familiar?

(end of excerpts)

http://www.edibleportland.com/2008/0..._writer_t.html
(much longer article, with photo)

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000...ving_mfkfisher
(very recent article)

http://www.gourmet.com/search/query?...+f.+k.+fisher&
(includes articles by Fisher)

http://chicago.going.com/event-32150...aws_Crab_House
(event in Chicago)

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ta...TF-8&scoring=n
(random articles by order of date)

www.chicagourmets.org/CGevents080713.pdf
(more)

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 3, 8:13*am, wrote:
> She died in 1993.
>
> http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...her-birthday-2...
> *(yesterday's article: Marking M.F.K. Fisher's 100th birthday)
>
> First lines:
>
> M.F.K. Fisher, who would have turned 100 on Thursday, was one of the
> first food writers to untangle all that's bound up in eating: the
> pleasure, the sentiment, the anxiety. [snip interesting links]

She wrote really well. A good one to start with is "The Art of
Eating" but you can hardly go wrong with anything she wrote. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 12:45*pm, aem > wrote:
> On Jul 3, 8:13*am, wrote:
>
> > She died in 1993.

> >http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...her-birthday-2...
> > *(yesterday's article: Marking M.F.K. Fisher's 100th birthday)

> > First lines:

> > M.F.K. Fisher, who would have turned 100 on Thursday, was one of the
> > first food writers to untangle all that's bound up in eating: the
> > pleasure, the sentiment, the anxiety. * [snip interesting links]

> She wrote really well. *A good one to start with is "The Art of
> Eating" but you can hardly go wrong with anything she wrote. * *-aem

Did you ever read "Two Towns in Provence"? I only made it through a
couple of chapters -- I'm trying to decide whether or no to give it
anoter go....

..fred
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
She died in 1993.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...,3602486.story
(yesterday's article: Marking M.F.K. Fisher's 100th birthday)

First lines:

M.F.K. Fisher, who would have turned 100 on Thursday, was one of the
first food writers to untangle all that's bound up in eating: the
pleasure, the sentiment, the anxiety. Her best-remembered stories
describe the magic of tangerines drying on radiators or the fuzz
skimmed from her grandmother's strawberry jam.

But those are stories for better times. In "How to Cook a Wolf"—the
book she wrote just after the bombing of Pearl Harbor in 1941—the
focus was on surviving with "grace and gusto." It was a rally cry, a
way to seize control during difficult times and find solace in the
daily routine of eating. It suggested ways to indulge in what you
have, while dreaming about what you didn't.

Sound familiar?

(end of excerpts)

http://www.edibleportland.com/2008/0..._writer_t.html
(much longer article, with photo)

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000...ving_mfkfisher
(very recent article)

http://www.gourmet.com/search/query?...+f.+k.+fisher&
(includes articles by Fisher)

http://chicago.going.com/event-32150...aws_Crab_House
(event in Chicago)

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ta...TF-8&scoring=n
(random articles by order of date)

www.chicagourmets.org/CGevents080713.pdf
(more)

Lenona.

We met MFK Fisher about 1990 on one of our last visits to Chez Panisse,
where she was sitting with Alice Waters, owner of the restaurant and author
of several great cookbooks. Ms. Fisher was a great lady, who didn't mind
questions that I'm sure she had heard hundreds of times before.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:13:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>She died in 1993.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...,3602486.story
> (yesterday's article: Marking M.F.K. Fisher's 100th birthday)
>
>First lines:

<other sites snipped>

i'll take a look at these later. she was a remarkable woman. thanks,
lenona.

your pal,
blake