Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ping:Barb

I was given some fresh rhubarb today and want to make your custard cake.
I only have evaporated milk, not cream and chocolate cake mix. I can do a
scratch cake, but would have to use the evap milk. Would it screw it up
royally? I keep the evap milk to us in place of cream in my
soups...thanks....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "biig" >
wrote:

> I was given some fresh rhubarb today and want to make your custard cake.
> I only have evaporated milk, not cream and chocolate cake mix. I can do a
> scratch cake, but would have to use the evap milk. Would it screw it up
> royally? I keep the evap milk to us in place of cream in my
> soups...thanks....Sharon

Heck if I know. I'm thinking that one of the components in whipping
cream is butterfat. Does your evaporated milk have much butterfat.
Now that I think of it, I think Niece Tootsie made it once with fat free
half and half and said it was fine. What the heck, give it a shot. And
I'm not responsible if it's not so good. <= 8-))

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Huffy and Bubbles Do France: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "biig" >
> wrote:
>
>> I was given some fresh rhubarb today and want to make your custard
>> cake.
>> I only have evaporated milk, not cream and chocolate cake mix. I can do
>> scratch cake, but would have to use the evap milk. Would it screw it up
>> royally? I keep the evap milk to us in place of cream in my
>> soups...thanks....Sharon

> Heck if I know. I'm thinking that one of the components in whipping
> cream is butterfat. Does your evaporated milk have much butterfat.
> Now that I think of it, I think Niece Tootsie made it once with fat free
> half and half and said it was fine. What the heck, give it a shot. And
> I'm not responsible if it's not so good. <= 8-))

Thanks Barb. I use 2 percent evap milk so maybe I will wait until I get
some cream. I think the rhubarb will keep until then......Sharon

http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >, "biig" >
> wrote:
>
>> I was given some fresh rhubarb today and want to make your custard
>> cake.
>> I only have evaporated milk, not cream and chocolate cake mix. I can
>> do a scratch cake, but would have to use the evap milk. Would it
>> screw it up royally? I keep the evap milk to us in place of cream in
>> my soups...thanks....Sharon

> Heck if I know. I'm thinking that one of the components in whipping
> cream is butterfat. Does your evaporated milk have much butterfat.
> Now that I think of it, I think Niece Tootsie made it once with fat
> free half and half and said it was fine. What the heck, give it a
> shot. And I'm not responsible if it's not so good. <= 8-))

Hey I only have 3 saltine crackers and a sugar cube....will it work or do I
really need the rhubarb?

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
> :
>
>> In article >, "biig" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I was given some fresh rhubarb today and want to make your custard
>>> cake.
>>> I only have evaporated milk, not cream and chocolate cake mix. I can
>>> do a scratch cake, but would have to use the evap milk. Would it
>>> screw it up royally? I keep the evap milk to us in place of cream in
>>> my soups...thanks....Sharon

>> Heck if I know. I'm thinking that one of the components in whipping
>> cream is butterfat. Does your evaporated milk have much butterfat.
>> Now that I think of it, I think Niece Tootsie made it once with fat
>> free half and half and said it was fine. What the heck, give it a
>> shot. And I'm not responsible if it's not so good. <= 8-))
>>

> Hey I only have 3 saltine crackers and a sugar cube....will it work or do
> really need the rhubarb?
>
> -

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> I was given some fresh rhubarb today and want to make your custard cake.
> I only have evaporated milk, not cream and chocolate cake mix. I can do a
> scratch cake, but would have to use the evap milk. Would it screw it up
> royally? I keep the evap milk to us in place of cream in my
> soups...thanks....Sharon

For what it's worth, I made Barb's cake with a basic cake recipe and not
a mix, and it turned out really well.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:27:02 -0400, "biig" > wrote:

> I was given some fresh rhubarb today and want to make your custard cake.
>I only have evaporated milk, not cream and chocolate cake mix. I can do a
>scratch cake, but would have to use the evap milk. Would it screw it up
>royally? I keep the evap milk to us in place of cream in my
>soups...thanks....Sharon

This one calls for buttermilk in the cake and evaporated milk in the
sauce. Looks easy enough.

Fresh Rhubarb Cake With Vanilla Sauce

Ingredients:

1/2 cup margarine at room temp
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped rhubarb -- fresh or frozen
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Vanilla Sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly butter a 9x13x2-inch baking pan;
dust with flour. In a medium-size bowl, cream the margarine and 1 cup
of the sugar.

Add the eggs; beat well. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk and
vanilla.

Into another bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add one
third of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat well. Beat
in half the buttermilk. Add another third of the flour, then the rest
of the buttermilk, ending with the remaining flour. Stir in the
rhubarb. Spread in the prepared baking pan. Combine the remaining
1/4 cup of sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle over the batter. Bake
for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake tests done with a toothpick or
cake tester. Serve with warm vanilla sauce.

Vanilla Sauce Directions
In a 1-quart saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients. Bring to a
boil; simmer for about ten minutes. Serve warm with rhubarb cake.

Helen Whitehead
honeybunny

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" <.> wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:27:02 -0400, "biig" > wrote:
>
>> I was given some fresh rhubarb today and want to make your custard cake.
>>I only have evaporated milk, not cream and chocolate cake mix. I can do a
>>scratch cake, but would have to use the evap milk. Would it screw it up
>>royally? I keep the evap milk to us in place of cream in my
>>soups...thanks....Sharon
>>

> This one calls for buttermilk in the cake and evaporated milk in the
> sauce. Looks easy enough.
>
> Fresh Rhubarb Cake With Vanilla Sauce
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 1/2 cup margarine at room temp
> 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
> 2 eggs
> 1 cup buttermilk
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 2 cups flour
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2 cups chopped rhubarb -- fresh or frozen
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
>
> Vanilla Sauce
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup evaporated milk
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
> 1/4 cup butter
>
> Preparation:
> Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly butter a 9x13x2-inch baking pan;
> dust with flour. In a medium-size bowl, cream the margarine and 1 cup
> of the sugar.
>
> Add the eggs; beat well. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk and
> vanilla.
>
> Into another bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add one
> third of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat well. Beat
> in half the buttermilk. Add another third of the flour, then the rest
> of the buttermilk, ending with the remaining flour. Stir in the
> rhubarb. Spread in the prepared baking pan. Combine the remaining
> 1/4 cup of sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle over the batter. Bake
> for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake tests done with a toothpick or
> cake tester. Serve with warm vanilla sauce.
>
> Vanilla Sauce Directions
> In a 1-quart saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients. Bring to a
> boil; simmer for about ten minutes. Serve warm with rhubarb cake.

Thanks.....this sounds good too. I'l give it a try...Sharon

Ping: Barb, are you out there? Virginia Tadrzynski Preserving 0 28-11-2006 05:13 AM
Ping: Barb limey General Cooking 2 22-09-2004 06:32 PM
Ping Barb Grismalkin General Cooking 3 23-08-2004 03:12 AM
Ping: Barb! Kate Connally General Cooking 2 30-07-2004 06:39 PM
PING: Barb S Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 0 12-12-2003 01:29 PM