Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I need some storage advice - baker's rack?

Our kitchen cabinets are maxed out with dishware, food, etc. We only
have 3 tall overheads to begin with, cabinets under the sink (full of
cleaning supplies), and drawers on either side of the sink with
another tall cabinet.

We have a small island with a pot rack hanging from the ceiling (thank
god otherwise we'd have some serious storage issues). Island has
storage underneath which is basically mixer, food processor, food
storage containers, pyrex glassware (mixing bowls, loaf pans). So
that's maxed out too.

On top of our fridge is our crock pot. On the kitchen counter is
belgian waffle maker and griddle (which can be stored under the
island).

Things are tight. I'm thinking of getting a baker's rack and was
wondering if anyone uses one for storage in the kitchen or some other
ideas?

Thanks. All this cooking from scratch nonsense is a royal pain! ;-) i
need a bigger kitchen!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 8:40 am, Paul McNoob > wrote:
> Our kitchen cabinets are maxed out with dishware, food, etc. We only
> have 3 tall overheads to begin with, cabinets under the sink (full of
> cleaning supplies), and drawers on either side of the sink with
> another tall cabinet.
>
> We have a small island with a pot rack hanging from the ceiling (thank
> god otherwise we'd have some serious storage issues). Island has
> storage underneath which is basically mixer, food processor, food
> storage containers, pyrex glassware (mixing bowls, loaf pans). So
> that's maxed out too.
>
> On top of our fridge is our crock pot. On the kitchen counter is
> belgian waffle maker and griddle (which can be stored under the
> island).
>
> Things are tight. I'm thinking of getting a baker's rack and was
> wondering if anyone uses one for storage in the kitchen or some other
> ideas?
>
> Thanks. All this cooking from scratch nonsense is a royal pain! ;-) i
> need a bigger kitchen!

I can't even imagine the cleaning involved in open storage, in a
kitchen - just think of what your exhaust fan grill/grid looks like
when you take it down to wash it!

I'd maybe go for an armoire-type cupboard (free-standing) with closed
doors - if you have room for a baker's rack, you'd have room for an
armoire.

I got a bookcase with glass doors from the "O," - wasn't very
expensive - maple - and the shelves are 14" deep, which is unusual.
It's wonderful - holds all my cookbooks, tax folders, recipes that are
in a card file, loose printed recipes, a small tool chest for upstairs
use, and big folders with (1) car service records and (2) all the
warranty/instruction information for everything in the house that
needs such.

N.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 1:29*pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Jul 1, 8:40 am, Paul McNoob > wrote:
>

> > Our kitchen cabinets are maxed out with dishware, food, etc. We only
> > have 3 tall overheads to begin with, cabinets under the sink (full of
> > cleaning supplies), and drawers on either side of the sink with
> > another tall cabinet.

> > We have a small island with a pot rack hanging from the ceiling (thank
> > god otherwise we'd have some serious storage issues). Island has
> > storage underneath which is basically mixer, food processor, food
> > storage containers, pyrex glassware (mixing bowls, loaf pans). So
> > that's maxed out too.

> > On top of our fridge is our crock pot. On the kitchen counter is
> > belgian waffle maker and griddle (which can be stored under the
> > island).

> > Things are tight. I'm thinking of getting a baker's rack and was
> > wondering if anyone uses one for storage in the kitchen or some other
> > ideas?

> > Thanks. All this cooking from scratch nonsense is a royal pain! ;-) i
> > need a bigger kitchen!

> I can't even imagine the cleaning involved in open storage, in a
> kitchen - just think of what your exhaust fan grill/grid looks like
> when you take it down to wash it!
>
> I'd maybe go for an armoire-type cupboard (free-standing) with closed
> doors - if you have room for a baker's rack, you'd have room for an
> armoire.
>
> I got a bookcase with glass doors from the "O," - wasn't very
> expensive - maple - and the shelves are 14" deep, which is unusual.
> It's wonderful - holds all my cookbooks, tax folders, recipes that are
> in a card file, loose printed recipes, a small tool chest for upstairs
> use, and big folders with (1) car service records and (2) all the
> warranty/instruction information for everything in the house that
> needs such.
>
> N.
>
> N.- Hide quoted text -

ah the book case/armoire type with doors is a good idea...... thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 2:49�pm, Paul McNoob > wrote:
> On Jul 1, 1:29�pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
>

> > On Jul 1, 8:40 am, Paul McNoob > wrote:

> > > Our kitchen cabinets are maxed out with dishware, food, etc. We only
> > > have 3 tall overheads to begin with, cabinets under the sink (full of
> > > cleaning supplies), and drawers on either side of the sink with
> > > another tall cabinet.

> > > We have a small island with a pot rack hanging from the ceiling (thank
> > > god otherwise we'd have some serious storage issues). Island has
> > > storage underneath which is basically mixer, food processor, food
> > > storage containers, pyrex glassware (mixing bowls, loaf pans). So
> > > that's maxed out too.

> > > On top of our fridge is our crock pot. On the kitchen counter is
> > > belgian waffle maker and griddle (which can be stored under the
> > > island).

> > > Things are tight. I'm thinking of getting a baker's rack and was
> > > wondering if anyone uses one for storage in the kitchen or some other
> > > ideas?

> > > Thanks. All this cooking from scratch nonsense is a royal pain! ;-) i
> > > need a bigger kitchen!

> > I can't even imagine the cleaning involved in open storage, in a
> > kitchen - just think of what your exhaust fan grill/grid looks like
> > when you take it down to wash it!

> > I'd maybe go for an armoire-type cupboard (free-standing) with closed
> > doors - if you have room for a baker's rack, you'd have room for an
> > armoire.

> > I got a bookcase with glass doors from the "O," - wasn't very
> > expensive - maple - and the shelves are 14" deep, which is unusual.
> > It's wonderful - holds all my cookbooks, tax folders, recipes that are
> > in a card file, loose printed recipes, a small tool chest for upstairs
> > use, and big folders with (1) car service records and (2) all the
> > warranty/instruction information for everything in the house that
> > needs such.

> ah the book case/armoire type with doors is a good idea...... thanks

Since you're short on space where pray tell will you put this
furniture?

You'd best buy two, people who collect crap will fill all available
space in a flash... I bet fully half of what's in your kitchen has no
use whatsoever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul McNoob wrote:

> ah the book case/armoire type with doors is a good idea...... thanks

Paul...what exactly do you DO for a living?
I'm surely starting to get very curious as you seem to need a lot of
outside help to perform so many simple tasks. I wonder how you manage to
get through the day? LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 1, 7:23*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Paul McNoob wrote:
> >
> > ah the book case/armoire type with doors is a good idea...... thanks

> Paul...what exactly do you DO for a living?
> I'm surely starting to get very curious as you seem to need a lot of
> outside help to perform so many simple tasks. I wonder how you manage to
> get through the day? LOL

He's just adopted the newbie persona, don't you think? It elicits
more information than the several poseurs we have who pretend to
nonexistent expertise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 10:23*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Paul McNoob wrote:

> > ah the book case/armoire type with doors is a good idea...... thanks

> Paul...what exactly do you DO for a living?
> I'm surely starting to get very curious as you seem to need a lot of
> outside help to perform so many simple tasks. I wonder how you manage to
> get through the day? LOL

Whatever YOU do for a living, please don't stop, because comedy isn't
your thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 4:42Â*pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2:49�pm, Paul McNoob > wrote:

> > > I can't even imagine the cleaning involved in open storage, in a
> > > kitchen - just think of what your exhaust fan grill/grid looks like
> > > when you take it down to wash it!

> > > I'd maybe go for an armoire-type cupboard (free-standing) with closed
> > > doors - if you have room for a baker's rack, you'd have room for an
> > > armoire.

> > > I got a bookcase with glass doors from the "O," - wasn't very
> > > expensive - maple - and the shelves are 14" deep, which is unusual.
> > > It's wonderful - holds all my cookbooks, tax folders, recipes that are
> > > in a card file, loose printed recipes, a small tool chest for upstairs
> > > use, and big folders with (1) car service records and (2) all the
> > > warranty/instruction information for everything in the house that
> > > needs such.

> > ah the book case/armoire type with doors is a good idea...... thanks

> Since you're short on space where pray tell will you put this
> furniture?
>
> You'd best buy two, people who collect crap will fill all available
> space in a flash... I bet fully half of what's in your kitchen has no
> use whatsoever.- Hide quoted text -

You must be a **** broke person, always losing bets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul McNoob wrote:
>> Paul...what exactly do you DO for a living?
>> I'm surely starting to get very curious as you seem to need a lot of
>> outside help to perform so many simple tasks. I wonder how you manage to
>> get through the day? LOL

> Whatever YOU do for a living, please don't stop, because comedy isn't
> your thing.

LOL, I wasn't trying to be funny.
I seriously wondered, as I know others have also.
I'm sorry if I offended your tender sensibilities.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Paul McNoob wrote:
>>
>> ah the book case/armoire type with doors is a good idea...... thanks

> Paul...what exactly do you DO for a living?
> I'm surely starting to get very curious as you seem to need a lot of
> outside help to perform so many simple tasks. I wonder how you manage to
> get through the day? LOL

I don't care what he does for a living -what I want to know is with all the
cooking CRAP how can he ask such inane questions? Since he doesn't know how
to cook anything I would advise him to Box up all his stuff and donate it to
the goodwill.

This is a 2+ 2 = 7 there is a missing piece to the puzzle.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 06:40:47 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
> wrote:

>Our kitchen cabinets are maxed out with dishware, food, etc. We only
>have 3 tall overheads to begin with, cabinets under the sink (full of
>cleaning supplies), and drawers on either side of the sink with
>another tall cabinet.
>
>We have a small island with a pot rack hanging from the ceiling (thank
>god otherwise we'd have some serious storage issues). Island has
>storage underneath which is basically mixer, food processor, food
>storage containers, pyrex glassware (mixing bowls, loaf pans). So
>that's maxed out too.
>
>On top of our fridge is our crock pot. On the kitchen counter is
>belgian waffle maker and griddle (which can be stored under the
>island).
>
>Things are tight. I'm thinking of getting a baker's rack and was
>wondering if anyone uses one for storage in the kitchen or some other
>ideas?
>
>Thanks. All this cooking from scratch nonsense is a royal pain! ;-) i
>need a bigger kitchen!

Baker's rack - no. I got wire shelving - 4 metal corner posts with
notches every inch; plastic collars that slide down the corner posts
and lock on the notches at your desired height; wire shelves with a
metal tube in each corner that slides over the collars and locks them
into place. They're most common in chrome, but mine is black. I use
"S" hooks to hang pots and pans on each end of the shelves.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf <.> wrote in :

> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:08:31 -0400, Mark A.Meggs
> > wrote:
>
>>Baker's rack - no. I got wire shelving - 4 metal corner posts
>>with notches every inch; plastic collars that slide down the
>>corner posts and lock on the notches at your desired height;
>>wire shelves with a metal tube in each corner that slides over
>>the collars and locks them into place. They're most common in
>>chrome, but mine is black. I use "S" hooks to hang pots and
>>pans on each end of the shelves.
>>

> Please post a picture (tinypic.com). I'm having a hard time
> visualizing this configuration.

Maybe kinda like this?

http://www.bakersracks.com/bakers-ra...bakersrack.cfm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:08:31 -0400, Mark A.Meggs
> wrote:

>Baker's rack - no. I got wire shelving - 4 metal corner posts with
>notches every inch; plastic collars that slide down the corner posts
>and lock on the notches at your desired height; wire shelves with a
>metal tube in each corner that slides over the collars and locks them
>into place. They're most common in chrome, but mine is black. I use
>"S" hooks to hang pots and pans on each end of the shelves.

Please post a picture (tinypic.com). I'm having a hard time
visualizing this configuration.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf requested:

>> I got wire shelving - 4 metal corner posts with notches every inch;
>> plastic collars that slide down the corner posts and lock on the notches
>> at your desired height; wire shelves with a metal tube in each corner
>> that slides over the collars and locks them into place. They're most
>> common in chrome, but mine is black. I use "S" hooks to hang pots and
>> pans on each end of the shelves.
>>

> Please post a picture (tinypic.com). I'm having a hard time
> visualizing this configuration.

http://tinyurl.com/5783du is roughly what I have. Then I bought S-hooks at
the hardware store to hang the pots from the underside of the shelves.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 23:24:50 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>sf requested:
>
>>> I got wire shelving - 4 metal corner posts with notches every inch;
>>> plastic collars that slide down the corner posts and lock on the notches
>>> at your desired height; wire shelves with a metal tube in each corner
>>> that slides over the collars and locks them into place. They're most
>>> common in chrome, but mine is black. I use "S" hooks to hang pots and
>>> pans on each end of the shelves.
>>>

>> Please post a picture (tinypic.com). I'm having a hard time
>> visualizing this configuration.

>http://tinyurl.com/5783du is roughly what I have. Then I bought S-hooks at
>the hardware store to hang the pots from the underside of the shelves.
>
>Bob

OK, I had that in mind... but his description didn't match what I
envisioned. Yours has plastic collars???

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03 Jul 2008 05:43:52 GMT, sandi > wrote:

>sf <.> wrote in :
>
>> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:08:31 -0400, Mark A.Meggs
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Baker's rack - no. I got wire shelving - 4 metal corner posts
>>>with notches every inch; plastic collars that slide down the
>>>corner posts and lock on the notches at your desired height;
>>>wire shelves with a metal tube in each corner that slides over
>>>the collars and locks them into place. They're most common in
>>>chrome, but mine is black. I use "S" hooks to hang pots and
>>>pans on each end of the shelves.
>>>

>> Please post a picture (tinypic.com). I'm having a hard time
>> visualizing this configuration.

>Maybe kinda like this?
>
>http://www.bakersracks.com/bakers-ra...bakersrack.cfm

thanks, sandi.... I had a hard time envisioning plastic collars, but
this seems to fit the bill for everything else.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> http://tinyurl.com/5783du is roughly what I have. Then I bought S-hooks
>> at
>> the hardware store to hang the pots from the underside of the shelves.

> OK, I had that in mind... but his description didn't match what I
> envisioned. Yours has plastic collars???

Yes, but you can't see them very well; the metal fittings at the corners of
the shelves obscure them. But the collars are what's holding the shelf in
place. Those things which look like vertical pipes fit together, and you can
slide the plastic collars up or down on the pipes. The collars have a kind
of lip at the bottom and a couple of "ribs" on the inside. The pipes have
horizontal grooves into which the "ribs" fit. When you have the collars at
the height where you want the shelf, you slide the entire shelf assembly
down the pipes until the corners of the shelf engage the collars. The
collars are tapered at the top, so that when the shelf assembly is slid onto
a collar, the whole thing is wedged into place. You can see a little more
detail if you click on the "MORE IMAGES" tab until you see a detail of a
corner fitting. In that picture, you can just barely see the plastic collar
sticking out at the bottom of the corner fitting.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 4:57*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Paul McNoob wrote:
> >> Paul...what exactly do you DO for a living?
> >> I'm surely starting to get very curious as you seem to need a lot of
> >> outside help to perform so many simple tasks. I wonder how you manage to
> >> get through the day? LOL

> > Whatever YOU do for a living, please don't stop, because comedy isn't
> > your thing.

> LOL, I wasn't trying to be funny.
> I seriously wondered, as I know others have also.
> I'm sorry if I offended your tender sensibilities.

Right.

Yeah I'm so hurt by an anonymous twit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 8:58*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Goomba" > wrote in message

> > Paul McNoob wrote:

> >> ah the book case/armoire type with doors is a good idea...... thanks

> > Paul...what exactly do you DO for a living?
> > I'm surely starting to get very curious as you seem to need a lot of
> > outside help to perform so many simple tasks. I wonder how you manage to
> > get through the day? LOL

> I don't care what he does for a living -what I want to know is with all the
> cooking CRAP how can he ask such inane questions? Since he doesn't know how
> to cook anything I would advise him to Box up all his stuff and donate it to
> the goodwill.
>
> This is a 2+ 2 = 7 *there is a missing piece to the puzzle.
>
> --
> Old Scoundrel
>
> (AKA Dimitri)

Get over yourself old goat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 10:08*pm, Mark A.Meggs > wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 06:40:47 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
>

> > wrote:
> >Our kitchen cabinets are maxed out with dishware, food, etc. We only
> >have 3 tall overheads to begin with, cabinets under the sink (full of
> >cleaning supplies), and drawers on either side of the sink with
> >another tall cabinet.

> >We have a small island with a pot rack hanging from the ceiling (thank
> >god otherwise we'd have some serious storage issues). Island has
> >storage underneath which is basically mixer, food processor, food
> >storage containers, pyrex glassware (mixing bowls, loaf pans). So
> >that's maxed out too.

> >On top of our fridge is our crock pot. On the kitchen counter is
> >belgian waffle maker and griddle (which can be stored under the
> >island).

> >Things are tight. I'm thinking of getting a baker's rack and was
> >wondering if anyone uses one for storage in the kitchen or some other
> >ideas?

> >Thanks. All this cooking from scratch nonsense is a royal pain! ;-) i
> >need a bigger kitchen!

> Baker's rack - no. *I got wire shelving - 4 metal corner posts with
> notches every inch; plastic collars that slide down the corner posts
> and lock on the notches at your desired height; wire shelves with a
> metal tube in each corner that slides over the collars and locks them
> into place. *They're most common in chrome, but mine is black. *I use
> "S" hooks to hang pots and pans on each end of the shelves.
>
> - Mark- Hide quoted text -

Ah, this is exactly what I was thinking about and looking at the other
day. What is on your shelves?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 1:43*am, sandi > wrote:
> sf <.> wrote :
>
> > On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:08:31 -0400, Mark A.Meggs
> > > wrote:

> >>Baker's rack - no. *I got wire shelving - 4 metal corner posts
> >>with notches every inch; plastic collars that slide down the
> >>corner posts and lock on the notches at your desired height;
> >>wire shelves with a metal tube in each corner that slides over
> >>the collars and locks them into place. *They're most common in
> >>chrome, but mine is black. *I use "S" hooks to hang pots and
> >>pans on each end of the shelves.

> > Please post a picture (tinypic.com). *I'm having a hard time
> > visualizing this configuration.

> Maybe kinda like this?
>
> http://www.bakersracks.com/bakers-ra...bakersrack.cfm

I was looking at this exact piece, I think over on Amazon.com. If I
can't find many other alternatives I might get this one. But I don't
need the holder for the utensils. I would prefer more shelving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 2:24*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> sf requested:
>
> >> I got wire shelving - 4 metal corner posts with notches every inch;
> >> plastic collars that slide down the corner posts and lock on the notches
> >> at your desired height; wire shelves with a metal tube in each corner
> >> that slides over the collars and locks them into place. *They're most
> >> common in chrome, but mine is black. *I use "S" hooks to hang pots and
> >> pans on each end of the shelves.

> > Please post a picture (tinypic.com). *I'm having a hard time
> > visualizing this configuration.

> http://tinyurl.com/5783duis roughly what I have. Then I bought S-hooks at
> the hardware store to hang the pots from the underside of the shelves.
>
> Bob

Hi Bob, what do you have on your racks?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> sf <.> wrote in :
>
>> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:08:31 -0400, Mark A.Meggs
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Baker's rack - no. I got wire shelving - 4 metal corner posts
>>> with notches every inch; plastic collars that slide down the
>>> corner posts and lock on the notches at your desired height;
>>> wire shelves with a metal tube in each corner that slides over
>>> the collars and locks them into place. They're most common in
>>> chrome, but mine is black. I use "S" hooks to hang pots and
>>> pans on each end of the shelves.
>>>

>> Please post a picture (tinypic.com). I'm having a hard time
>> visualizing this configuration.

> Maybe kinda like this?
>
> http://www.bakersracks.com/bakers-ra...bakersrack.cfm

Except for the configuration, that is the type of shelving I
bought to put into a closet just a week or so ago. Goes
together like a dream (no tools) and is extremely sturdy.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul McNoob wrote:
> On Jul 3, 1:43 am, sandi > wrote:

>> http://www.bakersracks.com/bakers-ra...bakersrack.cfm

> I was looking at this exact piece, I think over on Amazon.com. If I
> can't find many other alternatives I might get this one. But I don't
> need the holder for the utensils. I would prefer more shelving.

I bought mine from theshelvingstore.com ... I needed a shorter
version. These shelves come in different heights and widths, and
you can add shelves at some $20 apiece.

Not pushing the store, just saying the racks are available in
other configurations.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 01:08:09 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/5783du is roughly what I have. Then I bought S-hooks
>>> at
>>> the hardware store to hang the pots from the underside of the shelves.

>> OK, I had that in mind... but his description didn't match what I
>> envisioned. Yours has plastic collars???

>Yes, but you can't see them very well; the metal fittings at the corners of
>the shelves obscure them. But the collars are what's holding the shelf in
>place. Those things which look like vertical pipes fit together, and you can
>slide the plastic collars up or down on the pipes. The collars have a kind
>of lip at the bottom and a couple of "ribs" on the inside. The pipes have
>horizontal grooves into which the "ribs" fit. When you have the collars at
>the height where you want the shelf, you slide the entire shelf assembly
>down the pipes until the corners of the shelf engage the collars. The
>collars are tapered at the top, so that when the shelf assembly is slid onto
>a collar, the whole thing is wedged into place. You can see a little more
>detail if you click on the "MORE IMAGES" tab until you see a detail of a
>corner fitting. In that picture, you can just barely see the plastic collar
>sticking out at the bottom of the corner fitting.

I almost don't need to, you did a great job explaining. Thanks.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Yes, but you can't see them very well; the metal fittings at the
> corners of the shelves obscure them. But the collars are what's
> holding the shelf in place. Those things which look like vertical
> pipes fit together, and you can slide the plastic collars up or down
> on the pipes. The collars have a kind of lip at the bottom and a
> couple of "ribs" on the inside. The pipes have horizontal grooves
> into which the "ribs" fit. When you have the collars at the height
> where you want the shelf, you slide the entire shelf assembly down
> the pipes until the corners of the shelf engage the collars. The
> collars are tapered at the top, so that when the shelf assembly is
> slid onto a collar, the whole thing is wedged into place.

If you put the collars on upside down, not noticing that the word
TOP is etched on there, you will wind up with a very shaky rack.
Don't ask me how I know this. Heh.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03 Jul 2008 05:43:52 GMT, sandi > wrote:

>sf <.> wrote in :
>
>> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:08:31 -0400, Mark A.Meggs
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Baker's rack - no. I got wire shelving - 4 metal corner posts
>>>with notches every inch; plastic collars that slide down the
>>>corner posts and lock on the notches at your desired height;
>>>wire shelves with a metal tube in each corner that slides over
>>>the collars and locks them into place. They're most common in
>>>chrome, but mine is black. I use "S" hooks to hang pots and
>>>pans on each end of the shelves.
>>>

>> Please post a picture (tinypic.com). I'm having a hard time
>> visualizing this configuration.

>Maybe kinda like this?
>
>http://www.bakersracks.com/bakers-ra...bakersrack.cfm

Similar construction, but with wire shelves like the bottom 2 going
all the way up. All storage, no work surface.

The tubes forming the corner posts have a groove incised aroound them
every inch. The plastic collars are split tubes about 2 inches long
whose inside diameter matches the outside diameter of the corner post
and have a little protruding ring that fits into the groove in the
post. At each corner of the shelves is a metal tube that fits over
the collar. It's slightly tapered inside and squeezes the colloar onto
the corner post locking it in place.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...74B&lpage=none
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 01:08:09 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/5783du is roughly what I have. Then I bought S-hooks
>>> at
>>> the hardware store to hang the pots from the underside of the shelves.

>> OK, I had that in mind... but his description didn't match what I
>> envisioned. Yours has plastic collars???

>Yes, but you can't see them very well; the metal fittings at the corners of
>the shelves obscure them. But the collars are what's holding the shelf in
>place. Those things which look like vertical pipes fit together, and you can
>slide the plastic collars up or down on the pipes. The collars have a kind
>of lip at the bottom and a couple of "ribs" on the inside. The pipes have
>horizontal grooves into which the "ribs" fit. When you have the collars at
>the height where you want the shelf, you slide the entire shelf assembly
>down the pipes until the corners of the shelf engage the collars. The
>collars are tapered at the top, so that when the shelf assembly is slid onto
>a collar, the whole thing is wedged into place. You can see a little more
>detail if you click on the "MORE IMAGES" tab until you see a detail of a
>corner fitting. In that picture, you can just barely see the plastic collar
>sticking out at the bottom of the corner fitting.
>
>Bob

Much better description than mine!

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 06:36:41 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
> wrote:

>On Jul 2, 10:08*pm, Mark A.Meggs > wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 06:40:47 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
>>

>> > wrote:
>> >Our kitchen cabinets are maxed out with dishware, food, etc. We only
>> >have 3 tall overheads to begin with, cabinets under the sink (full of
>> >cleaning supplies), and drawers on either side of the sink with
>> >another tall cabinet.

>> >We have a small island with a pot rack hanging from the ceiling (thank
>> >god otherwise we'd have some serious storage issues). Island has
>> >storage underneath which is basically mixer, food processor, food
>> >storage containers, pyrex glassware (mixing bowls, loaf pans). So
>> >that's maxed out too.

>> >On top of our fridge is our crock pot. On the kitchen counter is
>> >belgian waffle maker and griddle (which can be stored under the
>> >island).

>> >Things are tight. I'm thinking of getting a baker's rack and was
>> >wondering if anyone uses one for storage in the kitchen or some other
>> >ideas?

>> >Thanks. All this cooking from scratch nonsense is a royal pain! ;-) i
>> >need a bigger kitchen!

>> Baker's rack - no. *I got wire shelving - 4 metal corner posts with
>> notches every inch; plastic collars that slide down the corner posts
>> and lock on the notches at your desired height; wire shelves with a
>> metal tube in each corner that slides over the collars and locks them
>> into place. *They're most common in chrome, but mine is black. *I use
>> "S" hooks to hang pots and pans on each end of the shelves.
>>
>> - Mark- Hide quoted text -

>Ah, this is exactly what I was thinking about and looking at the other
>day. What is on your shelves?

Lying on the shelves is stuff that won't hang - KA mixer, cookie
sheets, bread pans, baking dishses, paella pan, bamboo steamer,
never-used fondue set, cazuelas, etc. Hanging off the ends are
various Calphalon and All-Clad pans and lids.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul asked:

>> http://tinyurl.com/5783duis roughly what I have. Then I bought S-hooks at
>> the hardware store to hang the pots from the underside of the shelves.

> Hi Bob, what do you have on your racks?

The bottom shelf has stock pots, my big roasting pan with its roasting rack,
and cake pans. The second shelf up has a few skillets which are too big to
hang. The third shelf up has a bunch of S-hooks from which hang saucepans,
braising pans, pots, and similar cooking items: They hang directly over the
big skillets. There is only a small space between the third and fourth
shelf; the third shelf holds most of the lids to the pans, and the fourth
shelf holds the rest of the lids, my Schlemmertopf, and a Corningware
casserole set.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote:

>> Yes, but you can't see them very well; the metal fittings at the
>> corners of the shelves obscure them. But the collars are what's
>> holding the shelf in place. Those things which look like vertical
>> pipes fit together, and you can slide the plastic collars up or down
>> on the pipes. The collars have a kind of lip at the bottom and a
>> couple of "ribs" on the inside. The pipes have horizontal grooves
>> into which the "ribs" fit. When you have the collars at the height
>> where you want the shelf, you slide the entire shelf assembly down
>> the pipes until the corners of the shelf engage the collars. The
>> collars are tapered at the top, so that when the shelf assembly is
>> slid onto a collar, the whole thing is wedged into place.

> If you put the collars on upside down, not noticing that the word
> TOP is etched on there, you will wind up with a very shaky rack.
> Don't ask me how I know this. Heh.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH! I can well imagine!

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 20:22:40 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Paul asked:
>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/5783duis roughly what I have. Then I bought S-hooks at
>>> the hardware store to hang the pots from the underside of the shelves.

>> Hi Bob, what do you have on your racks?

>The bottom shelf has stock pots, my big roasting pan with its roasting rack,
>and cake pans. The second shelf up has a few skillets which are too big to
>hang. The third shelf up has a bunch of S-hooks from which hang saucepans,
>braising pans, pots, and similar cooking items: They hang directly over the
>big skillets. There is only a small space between the third and fourth
>shelf; the third shelf holds most of the lids to the pans, and the fourth
>shelf holds the rest of the lids, my Schlemmertopf, and a Corningware
>casserole set.

Wow that puppy is packed! I'd hate to ask what else in your
cupboards.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a spare 'wardrobe' such as folks use in a room with no closet.
Inside are 2 hanging clothes holders with 6 pockets each, quite deep making
for enough room for a 3 qt stock pot in each. Pots, lids, plastics go in
here. It's n the kitchen and looks fairly nice as it's a match to the china
cabinet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf commented:

> I'd hate to ask what else in your cupboards.

My below-counter cupboards have the following: Cookie sheets (lots of them,
in various sizes) with Silpats, more casserole dishes, loaf pans, muffin
tins, tart pans, pie pans, brioche pans, bundt pans, baguette pans,
colanders, sieves, my multi-tiered steamer, my wok, my mandoline, my bread
machine, my crockpot, my electric skillet, a spare coffee maker, my waffle
iron, and my thermos containers...to start. I'm sure I'm forgetting about
20% of what's there.

My above-counter cupboards have assorted food-storage containers, measuring
pitchers, my ricer, dinnerware (plates, bowls, and so forth), serving
bowls/platters, serving pitchers, a big collection of coffee cups, lots of
different teas, and lots of glassware.

A rollaway cart contains my food processor, my mixers, and my rice cooker.

Bob