Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tumeric vs. Turmeric

A minor annoyance, but I always thought the name of this spice was
spelled and pronounced "turmeric". It even says so on the bottle I
have in my cabinet, but all tv chefs pronounce it "tumeric", including
the Iron Chefs, Alton Brown, and the competitors on all the "reality"
cooking shows.

Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

Whenever I hear it pronounced "tumeric", I can't help thinking of
tumors.

Shouldn't professional chefs, food scientists, writers and critics
learn the proper names of their ingredients?

I may be nit-picking but I think I'm right on this issue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 4:04�am, "
> wrote:
> A minor annoyance, but I always thought the name of this spice was
> spelled and pronounced "turmeric". It even says so on the bottle I
> have in my cabinet, but all tv chefs pronounce it "tumeric", including
> the Iron Chefs, Alton Brown, and the competitors on all the "reality"
> cooking shows.
>
> Here's a link: �http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric
>
> Whenever I hear it pronounced "tumeric", I can't help thinking of
> tumors.
>
> Shouldn't professional chefs, food scientists, writers and critics
> learn the proper names of their ingredients?
>
> I may be nit-picking but I think I'm right on this issue.

It's spelled "turmeric" but both pronunciations are equally correct...
but eliding the first "r" is far more common.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/turmeric

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> A minor annoyance, but I always thought the name of this spice was
> spelled and pronounced "turmeric". It even says so on the bottle I
> have in my cabinet, but all tv chefs pronounce it "tumeric", including
> the Iron Chefs, Alton Brown, and the competitors on all the "reality"
> cooking shows.
>
> Here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

> Whenever I hear it pronounced "tumeric", I can't help thinking of
> tumors.
>
> Shouldn't professional chefs, food scientists, writers and critics
> learn the proper names of their ingredients?
>
> I may be nit-picking but I think I'm right on this issue.

Even your header made me shudder, Michael. I agree.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Ooops. Saw Michael's name above. Janos. (?) Sorry.
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote on Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:04:22 -0700
(PDT):

> Here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

> Whenever I hear it pronounced "tumeric", I can't help thinking
> of tumors.

> Shouldn't professional chefs, food scientists, writers and
> critics learn the proper names of their ingredients?

While you are correct, it's a pretty common misspelling. Even if Google
says "Did you mean turmeric", there were 317,000 hits, altho' there were
3,140,000 for "turmeric". Those who spell it tumeric probably are those
who pronounce it "too....".

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 9:05�am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> �wrote �on Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:04:22 -0700
> (PDT):
>
> > Here's a link: �http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric
> > Whenever I hear it pronounced "tumeric", I can't help thinking
> > of tumors.
> > Shouldn't professional chefs, food scientists, writers and
> > critics learn the proper names of their ingredients?

> While you are correct, it's a pretty common misspelling. Even if Google
> says "Did you mean turmeric", there were 317,000 hits, altho' there were
> 3,140,000 for "turmeric". Those who spell it tumeric probably are those
> who pronounce it "too....".

WTF are you babbling about???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>A minor annoyance, but I always thought the name of this spice was
> spelled and pronounced "turmeric". It even says so on the bottle I
> have in my cabinet, but all tv chefs pronounce it "tumeric", including
> the Iron Chefs, Alton Brown, and the competitors on all the "reality"
> cooking shows.
>
> Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric
>
> Whenever I hear it pronounced "tumeric", I can't help thinking of
> tumors.
>
> Shouldn't professional chefs, food scientists, writers and critics
> learn the proper names of their ingredients?
>
> I may be nit-picking but I think I'm right on this issue.

You're right.

Now let's establish whether cumin is pronounced kooMEEN or CUEmin. <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 10:56�am, "Janet" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >A minor annoyance, but I always thought the name of this spice was
> > spelled and pronounced "turmeric". It even says so on the bottle I
> > have in my cabinet, but all tv chefs pronounce it "tumeric", including
> > the Iron Chefs, Alton Brown, and the competitors on all the "reality"
> > cooking shows.

> > Here's a link: �http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

> > Whenever I hear it pronounced "tumeric", I can't help thinking of
> > tumors.

> > Shouldn't professional chefs, food scientists, writers and critics
> > learn the proper names of their ingredients?

> > I may be nit-picking but I think I'm right on this issue.

> You're right.

Yet another pinhead can't use a dictionary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in news:6csag2F3hevlnU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Now let's establish whether cumin is pronounced kooMEEN or CUEmin. <G>

Koo-men, as it is from the Spanish, comino, through the French cumin.
Nowhere in those previous conditions was the first syllable pronounced
"kyu-".

Pronouncing it "kyu-" means you are saying the letter "u" ("yoo") as you
sound it in English, which is fine for English but not for words derived
from non-English sources. This also implies that first contact was with
a written word, hence the error.

Or you could avoid that and pronounce it "jira" (as in jeera, not jyra)
which is the Indian word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumin

What you (collectively) should decide is whether you will habitually
impose English pronunciation on words of foreign origin or adopt a
forever shifting reality. I opt for the latter but as English is not my
father tongue I am here much like the residents of Washington DC, aware
of the problem, contributing to the debate, but likely not allowed to
vote.

For what it's worth, French imposes French pronunciation so that "cumin"
sounds like "cul-main" (or arse-hand ;-) ). But then again French has
clearly defined rules.

Further to this:

Do you say "sil-antro" or "chil-antro"?

Do you write "à la mode" (the proper way) or "ala/alla mode" (as though
it was Italian)?

Do you say Eye-rak or Eerák (with emphasis on the last syllable)? Guess
which one is correct (hint: it's not the way you would read it).

NOTICE: The comments and questions are addressed to all who read this and
who are unilingual anglophones, in any case where the author has used the
term "you". This is not intended to be read as being directed at a
single individual. Let's see how many people read this far ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> >A minor annoyance, but I always thought the name of this spice was
> > spelled and pronounced "turmeric". It even says so on the bottle I
> > have in my cabinet, but all tv chefs pronounce it "tumeric", including
> > the Iron Chefs, Alton Brown, and the competitors on all the "reality"
> > cooking shows.
> >
> > Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric
> >
> > Whenever I hear it pronounced "tumeric", I can't help thinking of
> > tumors.
> >
> > Shouldn't professional chefs, food scientists, writers and critics
> > learn the proper names of their ingredients?
> >
> > I may be nit-picking but I think I'm right on this issue.

> You're right.
>
> Now let's establish whether cumin is pronounced kooMEEN or CUEmin. <G>

I pronounce it CUMmin.

And TURmeric.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

>> Now let's establish whether cumin is pronounced kooMEEN or CUEmin. <G>

> I pronounce it CUMmin.

I pronounce it koo-man.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Dan Abel wrote:
>
>>> Now let's establish whether cumin is pronounced kooMEEN or CUEmin. <G>

>> I pronounce it CUMmin.
>>

> I pronounce it koo-man.

wait.. make that "koo-min"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 12:29�pm, Michel Boucher > wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in news:6csag2F3hevlnU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
> > Now let's establish whether cumin is pronounced kooMEEN or CUEmin. <G>

> Koo-men, as it is from the Spanish, comino, through the French cumin. �
> Nowhere in those previous conditions was the first syllable pronounced
> "kyu-".
>
> Pronouncing it "kyu-" means you are saying the letter "u" ("yoo") as you
> sound it in English, which is fine for English but not for words derived
> from non-English sources. �This also implies that first contact was with
> a written word, hence the error.
>
> Or you could avoid that and pronounce it "jira" (as in jeera, not jyra)
> which is the Indian word.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumin
>
> What you (collectively) should decide is whether you will habitually
> impose English pronunciation on words of foreign origin or adopt a
> forever shifting reality. �I opt for the latter but as English is not my
> father tongue I am here much like the residents of Washington DC, aware
> of the problem, contributing to the debate, but likely not allowed to
> vote.
>
> For what it's worth, French imposes French pronunciation so that "cumin"
> sounds like "cul-main" (or arse-hand ;-) ). �But then again French has
> clearly defined rules. �
>
> Further to this:
>
> Do you say "sil-antro" or "chil-antro"?
>
> Do you write "� la mode" (the proper way) or "ala/alla mode" (as though
> it was Italian)?
>
> Do you say Eye-rak or Eer�k (with emphasis on the last syllable)? �Guess
> which one is correct (hint: it's not the way you would read it).
>
> NOTICE: The comments and questions are addressed to all who read this and
> who are unilingual anglophones, in any case where the author has used the
> term "you". �This is not intended to be read as being directed at a
> single individual. �Let's see how many people read this far ;-)

Um, rec.food.cooking is an *English* language Newsgroup... take yer
frogophone and shove it up yer dairy-ear.

cumin
[KUH-mihn, KYOO-mihn, KOO-mihn]
Also called comino , this ancient spice dates back to the Old
Testament. Shaped like a caraway seed, cumin is the dried fruit of a
plant in the parsley family. Its aromatic, nutty-flavored seeds come
in three colors: amber (the most widely available), white and black
(both found in Asian markets). White cumin seed is interchangeable
with amber, but the black seed has a more complex, peppery flavor.
Cumin is available in seed and ground forms. As with all seeds, herbs
and spices, it should be stored in a cool, dark place for no more than
6 months. Cumin is particularly popular in Middle Eastern, Asian and
Mediterranean cooking. Among other things, it's used to make curries,
chili powders and K�MMEL LIQUEUR.

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:56:03 -0400, "Janet" >
wrote:

>Now let's establish whether cumin is pronounced kooMEEN or CUEmin. <G>

or koomin

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> A minor annoyance, but I always thought the name of this spice was
> spelled and pronounced "turmeric". It even says so on the bottle I
> have in my cabinet, but all tv chefs pronounce it "tumeric", including
> the Iron Chefs, Alton Brown, and the competitors on all the "reality"
> cooking shows.
>
> Here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

> Whenever I hear it pronounced "tumeric", I can't help thinking of
> tumors.
>
> Shouldn't professional chefs, food scientists, writers and critics
> learn the proper names of their ingredients?
>
> I may be nit-picking but I think I'm right on this issue.

I wholey agree!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>
>>> Now let's establish whether cumin is pronounced kooMEEN or CUEmin. <G>

>> I pronounce it CUMmin.
>>

> I pronounce it koo-man.

Look! Over in the kitchen! It's a bird! It's a bat! No, it's Koo-Man,
the latest koolinary superhero!

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> "Janet" > wrote in news:6csag2F3hevlnU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Now let's establish whether cumin is pronounced kooMEEN or CUEmin. <G>

> Koo-men, as it is from the Spanish, comino, through the French cumin.
> Nowhere in those previous conditions was the first syllable pronounced
> "kyu-".

I'm perfectly happy to adopt koo-men, but where is the emphasis, if any?
Most of those who've I've heard pronouce it that way put it on the first
syllable.

<snip>
> Or you could avoid that and pronounce it "jira" (as in jeera, not jyra)
> which is the Indian word.

Or one could call it cumin when used in Mexican-derived dishes, and jeera
when used in Indian food. <G>

> Further to this:
>
> Do you say "sil-antro" or "chil-antro"?

Personally, the former. I've never heard the latter pronunciation.

> Do you write "à la mode" (the proper way)

Yes.

>or "ala/alla mode" (as though
> it was Italian)?

Never seen that, either.

> Do you say Eye-rak or Eerák (with emphasis on the last syllable)? Guess
> which one is correct (hint: it's not the way you would read it).

I've always leaned in the direction of ih-RAHK and ih-RAHN, personally. I
have no idea whether it is "correct. "

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Goomba wrote:

>>> I pronounce it CUMmin.
>>>

>> I pronounce it koo-man.

> Look! Over in the kitchen! It's a bird! It's a bat! No, it's Koo-Man,
> the latest koolinary superhero!

<groan>

CUEmin.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" schrieb :
> Cumin is particularly popular in Middle Eastern, Asian and
> Mediterranean cooking. Among other things, it's used to make curries,
> chili powders and K?MMEL LIQUEUR.

Nope. Kuemmel-Likoer is made with caraway seeds.
Kuemmel = caraway seed
Kreuzkuemmel = cumin.

> ? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in news:6csag2F3hevlnU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Now let's establish whether cumin is pronounced kooMEEN or CUEmin. <G>

> Koo-men, as it is from the Spanish, comino, through the French cumin.
> Nowhere in those previous conditions was the first syllable pronounced
> "kyu-".
>
> Pronouncing it "kyu-" means you are saying the letter "u" ("yoo") as you
> sound it in English, which is fine for English but not for words derived
> from non-English sources. This also implies that first contact was with
> a written word, hence the error.
>
> Or you could avoid that and pronounce it "jira" (as in jeera, not jyra)
> which is the Indian word.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumin
>
> What you (collectively) should decide is whether you will habitually
> impose English pronunciation on words of foreign origin or adopt a
> forever shifting reality. I opt for the latter but as English is not my
> father tongue I am here much like the residents of Washington DC, aware
> of the problem, contributing to the debate, but likely not allowed to
> vote.
>
> For what it's worth, French imposes French pronunciation so that "cumin"
> sounds like "cul-main" (or arse-hand ;-) ). But then again French has
> clearly defined rules.
>
> Further to this:
>
> Do you say "sil-antro" or "chil-antro"?
>
> Do you write "à la mode" (the proper way) or "ala/alla mode" (as though
> it was Italian)?
>
> Do you say Eye-rak or Eerák (with emphasis on the last syllable)? Guess
> which one is correct (hint: it's not the way you would read it).
>
> NOTICE: The comments and questions are addressed to all who read this and
> who are unilingual anglophones, in any case where the author has used the
> term "you". This is not intended to be read as being directed at a
> single individual. Let's see how many people read this far ;-)

I did and I applauded.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> CUEmin.

That's how I say it too - CUEmin, Qmin, Kyoo min.....

When I hear someone say kuh min..it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.
It just doesn't sound right. I can deal with koo min though.

I also say erbs as opposed to "H"erbs. The H is silent. Again, just my
way, not necessarily the only way.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in
:

>> Koo-men, as it is from the Spanish, comino, through the French cumin.
>> Nowhere in those previous conditions was the first syllable
>> pronounced "kyu-".

> I'm perfectly happy to adopt koo-men, but where is the emphasis, if
> any? Most of those who've I've heard pronouce it that way put it on
> the first syllable.

And that would be correct.

>> Do you say "sil-antro" or "chil-antro"?
>>

> Personally, the former. I've never heard the latter pronunciation.

I've heard it.

>>or "ala/alla mode" (as though
>> it was Italian)?

> Never seen that, either.

Seen that here, and in restaurants.

>> Do you say Eye-rak or Eer*k (with emphasis on the last syllable)?
>> Guess which one is correct (hint: it's not the way you would read
>> it).

> I've always leaned in the direction of ih-RAHK and ih-RAHN,
> personally. I have no idea whether it is "correct. "

Eerak (with emphasis on the last syllable) is correct, with an "a" like
apple. Same for Eeran, which should be pronounced with a deep "a" closer
to "o" as in plot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Tracy > wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>

> > CUEmin.

> That's how I say it too - CUEmin, Qmin, Kyoo min.....
>
> When I hear someone say kuh min..it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.
> It just doesn't sound right. I can deal with koo min though.
>
> I also say erbs as opposed to "H"erbs. The H is silent. Again, just my
> way, not necessarily the only way.
>
> Tracy

Do you say iss-tory? How about the author of Moby Dick? Erman Melville?
There's some law about why erbs is correct but I can't remember what it
is or what court it was adjudicated in.

'-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Huffy and Bubbles Do France: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbschaller-
:

> Do you say iss-tory?

Coming from French, a silent initial H is de rigueur. Like Hydro
(pronounced ee-dro) even though it's Greek.

> How about the author of Moby Dick? Erman Melville?

Enery the Eighth? Ubert Umphrey, "hurts hoit!" (no wait, that's something
else)

> There's some law about why erbs is correct but I can't remember what it
> is or what court it was adjudicated in.

But your would say the H in Herb as a noun. However to get back to herb
pronounced "erb", it's a North American phenomenon, connected tro the fact
that in French, it's pronounced "airb".

Similarly, lieutenant in British dominated countries is pronounced
"leftenant" whereas in the US it's much like the French Lieutenant (Lyeh-
tuhnahn).

The word tells you its meaning: lieu-tenant is he who holds the position
while the lord goes off to war; left-tenant is also he who holds the
position, etc etc. The parts "lieu" and "left" seem to imply a different
meaning but if you go back far enough in roots, they are seen to have a
similar etymology (Latin locum tenens). As an aside, it appears that the
current US pronunciation gained ground during the 19th century, and in its
broad military meaning refers to a rank immediately below a superior, say
for example a colonel is a lieutenant to a general, a major to a colonel,
and so on. That the lowest officer grade is actually called a lieutenant
would indicate they had no real name for it :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieutenant#Etymology

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 6:34�pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> �Tracy > wrote:
> > ChattyCathy wrote:

> > > CUEmin.

> > That's how I say it too - CUEmin, Qmin, Kyoo min.....

> > When I hear someone say kuh min..it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.
> > It just doesn't sound right. I can deal with koo min though.

> > I also say erbs as opposed to "H"erbs. The H is silent. �Again, just my
> > way, not necessarily the only way.

> > Tracy

> Do you say iss-tory? �How about the author of Moby Dick? �Erman Melville?
> There's some law about why erbs is correct but I can't remember what it
> is or what court it was adjudicated in.

Pronunciation is abjudicated in the court of common usage... in the US
most folks say "erb", the UK "herb" is used almost exclusively.

herbs
[ERB, Brit. HERB]
The fragrant leaves of any of various annual or perennial plants that
grow in temperate zones and do not have woody stems. Herbs can be
purchased in dried or fresh forms. Some, like CHIVES, are also sold
frozen. Some of the more commonly available fresh herbs are BASIL, BAY
LEAF , CHERVIL, CORIANDER, MARJORAM, MINT, OREGANO, PARSLEY ,
ROSEMARY, SAGE, SAVORY, TARRAGON and THYME. They can be found at
various times of year, depending on the herb. Choose herbs that have a
clean, fresh fragrance and a bright color without any sign of wilting
or browning. They can be stored in the refrigerator, wrapped in a
barely damp paper towel and sealed airtight in a plastic bag for up to
5 days. For storage up to 10 days (depending on the herb), place the
bouquet of herbs, stem end down, in a tall glass and fill with cold
water until the ends are covered by 1 inch. Cover the top of the
bouquet with a plastic bag, securing it to the glass with a rubber
band. Alternatively, the herb bouquet may be placed in a screw-top jar
in the same manner and sealed tightly. Either way, the water should be
changed every 2 days. Just before using, wash the herbs and blot dry
with a paper towel. Dried herbs are available year-round in metal or
cardboard boxes, bottles, cellophane packages and unglazed ceramic
pots. They have a stronger, more concentrated flavor than fresh herbs,
but quickly lose their pungency. Crushed or ground herbs become
lackluster more quickly than whole herbs. The more airtight the
storage container, the longer the herbs will last. Transfer those in
cardboard, tin, unglazed ceramic or cellophane to small glass bottles
or jars with screw-top lids. Each time you use the herb, make sure the
lid is tightly resealed. Store dried herbs in a cool, dark place for a
maximum of 6 months. After 3 months, it is best to refrigerate them.
Herbs are used to flavor all manner of food and drink. Most should be
used judiciously because many of them can be quite pungent.

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in news:6csag2F3hevlnU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Now let's establish whether cumin is pronounced kooMEEN or CUEmin. <G>

> Koo-men, as it is from the Spanish, comino, through the French cumin.
> Nowhere in those previous conditions was the first syllable pronounced
> "kyu-".
>
> Pronouncing it "kyu-" means you are saying the letter "u" ("yoo") as you
> sound it in English, which is fine for English but not for words derived
> from non-English sources. This also implies that first contact was with
> a written word, hence the error.
>
> Or you could avoid that and pronounce it "jira" (as in jeera, not jyra)
> which is the Indian word.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumin
>
> What you (collectively) should decide is whether you will habitually
> impose English pronunciation on words of foreign origin or adopt a
> forever shifting reality. I opt for the latter but as English is not my
> father tongue I am here much like the residents of Washington DC, aware
> of the problem, contributing to the debate, but likely not allowed to
> vote.
>
> For what it's worth, French imposes French pronunciation so that "cumin"
> sounds like "cul-main" (or arse-hand ;-) ). But then again French has
> clearly defined rules.
>
> Further to this:
>
> Do you say "sil-antro" or "chil-antro"?
>
> Do you write "à la mode" (the proper way) or "ala/alla mode" (as though
> it was Italian)?
>
> Do you say Eye-rak or Eerák (with emphasis on the last syllable)? Guess
> which one is correct (hint: it's not the way you would read it).
>
> NOTICE: The comments and questions are addressed to all who read this and
> who are unilingual anglophones, in any case where the author has used the
> term "you". This is not intended to be read as being directed at a
> single individual. Let's see how many people read this far ;-)

Oh yay! A good explanation of why cumin should be pronounced as I
pronounce it.

Now... do illuminate me about some of the other things you say.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in
> :
>
>>> Koo-men, as it is from the Spanish, comino, through the French cumin.
>>> Nowhere in those previous conditions was the first syllable
>>> pronounced "kyu-".

>> I'm perfectly happy to adopt koo-men, but where is the emphasis, if
>> any? Most of those who've I've heard pronouce it that way put it on
>> the first syllable.

> And that would be correct.
>
>>> Do you say "sil-antro" or "chil-antro"?
>>>

>> Personally, the former. I've never heard the latter pronunciation.

> I've heard it.
>
>>> or "ala/alla mode" (as though
>>> it was Italian)?

>> Never seen that, either.

> Seen that here, and in restaurants.
>
>>> Do you say Eye-rak or Eer k (with emphasis on the last syllable)?
>>> Guess which one is correct (hint: it's not the way you would read
>>> it).

>> I've always leaned in the direction of ih-RAHK and ih-RAHN,
>> personally. I have no idea whether it is "correct. "

> Eerak (with emphasis on the last syllable) is correct, with an "a" like
> apple. Same for Eeran, which should be pronounced with a deep "a" closer
> to "o" as in plot.

Soooo, I have always wondered where GWB et al. get THEIR
pronunciation from. It almost seems like a deliberate show of
disrespect.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in news:6ctcekF3ho07eU5
@mid.individual.net:

> Soooo, I have always wondered where GWB et al. get THEIR
> pronunciation from. It almost seems like a deliberate show of
> disrespect.

Being a French-speaking person in Norf Amerigovespucciland, I have seen
the various ways that French is taught here (having done some of that
myself), and the worst way is to expose a person who can read to the word
before they hear it pronounced. They will naturally gravitate towards
using the letter sounds in their own language, so the letter "I" is
pronounced "eye" in English but "ee" in almost every other language, so
what should be "eerak" is pronounced "eyerak". As there are no fixed
rules in English, you can do either. But it is then much more difficult
to correct the error. One that constantly grates at me is "Chernobyl".
News readers who should be trained in such matters routinely refer to it
as "Chuhr-*no*-buhl" whereas it should be either Tcher-no-*byil* or, if
you insist on using the proper Ukrainian pronunciation Tchor-no-*byil*.

French on the other hand will generally write the word out as
phonetically as possible. So Putin in English is Poutine in French, but
Yeltsin is unfortunately Eltsine (dropping the initial and mandatory
"ye" for people who read it before hearing it) because it is written
ELTSIN (ok, this doesn't do cyrillic well). He

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeltsin

There was a rather acrimonious letter written by a woman to the editor of
Actualités concerning the fact that it was pronounced Elstine and not
Yeltsine (error based on written form coming first) to which the editor
replied that the initial "ye" was correct in Russian and therefore he was
correct in using it. It should by all rules be spelled "Ielstine". We
blame Le Monde for that mistake ;-)

People who wish to speak foreign words or learn a language should learn
to speak it BEFORE they read it, much in the same way that children learn
a language...or even three before kindergarten like my granddaughter
(English - mother; German - father; Italian - stepmother). She's working
on her fourth (French) at school. So far, her stepfather has not
attempted to teach her Polish. Her baby brother who was born last week
will speak Italian first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in news:6ctcekF3ho07eU5
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Soooo, I have always wondered where GWB et al. get THEIR
>> pronunciation from. It almost seems like a deliberate show of
>> disrespect.

> Being a French-speaking person in Norf Amerigovespucciland, I have seen
> the various ways that French is taught here (having done some of that
> myself), and the worst way is to expose a person who can read to the word
> before they hear it pronounced. They will naturally gravitate towards
> using the letter sounds in their own language, so the letter "I" is
> pronounced "eye" in English but "ee" in almost every other language, so
> what should be "eerak" is pronounced "eyerak". As there are no fixed
> rules in English, you can do either. But it is then much more difficult
> to correct the error. One that constantly grates at me is "Chernobyl".
> News readers who should be trained in such matters routinely refer to it
> as "Chuhr-*no*-buhl" whereas it should be either Tcher-no-*byil* or, if
> you insist on using the proper Ukrainian pronunciation Tchor-no-*byil*.
>
> French on the other hand will generally write the word out as
> phonetically as possible. So Putin in English is Poutine in French, but
> Yeltsin is unfortunately Eltsine (dropping the initial and mandatory
> "ye" for people who read it before hearing it) because it is written
> ELTSIN (ok, this doesn't do cyrillic well). He
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeltsin
>
> There was a rather acrimonious letter written by a woman to the editor of
> Actualités concerning the fact that it was pronounced Elstine and not
> Yeltsine (error based on written form coming first) to which the editor
> replied that the initial "ye" was correct in Russian and therefore he was
> correct in using it. It should by all rules be spelled "Ielstine". We
> blame Le Monde for that mistake ;-)
>
> People who wish to speak foreign words or learn a language should learn
> to speak it BEFORE they read it, much in the same way that children learn
> a language...or even three before kindergarten like my granddaughter
> (English - mother; German - father; Italian - stepmother). She's working
> on her fourth (French) at school. So far, her stepfather has not
> attempted to teach her Polish. Her baby brother who was born last week
> will speak Italian first.

Very interesting. And we don't see that approach much in schools
here either. I was trying to think back to when I first studied
French in 3rd grade.... We probably had books then.... Maybe the
kids who are starting Mandarin etc. in Kindergarten now are
concentrating on listening and speaking though.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Janet" > wrote:

> wrote in message
>>A minor annoyance, but I always thought the name of this spice was
>> spelled and pronounced "turmeric". It even says so on the bottle I
>> have in my cabinet, but all tv chefs pronounce it "tumeric", including
>> the Iron Chefs, Alton Brown, and the competitors on all the "reality"
>> cooking shows.
>>
>> Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric
>>
>> Whenever I hear it pronounced "tumeric", I can't help thinking of
>> tumors.
>>
>> Shouldn't professional chefs, food scientists, writers and critics
>> learn the proper names of their ingredients?
>>
>> I may be nit-picking but I think I'm right on this issue.

>You're right.
>
>Now let's establish whether cumin is pronounced kooMEEN or CUEmin. <G>

I always thought it was "come in". ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:04:22 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>A minor annoyance, but I always thought the name of this spice was
>spelled and pronounced "turmeric". It even says so on the bottle I
>have in my cabinet, but all tv chefs pronounce it "tumeric", including
>the Iron Chefs, Alton Brown, and the competitors on all the "reality"
>cooking shows.
>
>Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric
>
>Whenever I hear it pronounced "tumeric", I can't help thinking of
>tumors.
>
>Shouldn't professional chefs, food scientists, writers and critics
>learn the proper names of their ingredients?
>
>I may be nit-picking but I think I'm right on this issue.

The 'r' is silent...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean wrote on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:12:31 -0400:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>> "Jean B." > wrote in news:6ctcekF3ho07eU5
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>
>>> Soooo, I have always wondered where GWB et al. get THEIR
>>> pronunciation from. It almost seems like a deliberate show of
>>> disrespect.

>> Being a French-speaking person in Norf Amerigovespucciland, I
>> have seen the various ways that French is taught here (having

> Very interesting. And we don't see that approach much in
> schools here either. I was trying to think back to when I
> first studied French in 3rd grade....

I was interested to see that the French call the Russian president (or
is it prime minister?) M. Poutine. I wonder if he has ever tried
Quebecois Poutine? That might cause an "international incident" if it
was fed to him!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:VWqak.191
$713.84@trnddc03:

> I was interested to see that the French call the Russian president (or
> is it prime minister?) M. Poutine. I wonder if he has ever tried
> Quebecois Poutine? That might cause an "international incident" if it
> was fed to him!

Being Russian, he might actually like it, as it's primarily potatoes. In
fact, if it were explained to him as Canada's pirozhki, he might actually
want to import it to Kievan Rus'. It'll be the cheese curds that will give
them the most problems. Has to be fresh of the day white cheddar curds.
Anything else is not a true poutine.

Now I don't think that he's ever been to Warwick in Québec (where poutine
trees grow by the wayside) but he will likely be a lot closer to it during
the 2010 G8 meeting will be in Huntsville Ontario (the town that saw the
rise of Shania Twain, née Eilleen Edwards) so the flavour of the day will
be "a little crossover C&W with that poutine, Mr. Poutine?"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:12:31 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Michel Boucher wrote:

<snip>

>> People who wish to speak foreign words or learn a language should learn
>> to speak it BEFORE they read it, much in the same way that children learn
>> a language...or even three before kindergarten like my granddaughter
>> (English - mother; German - father; Italian - stepmother). She's working
>> on her fourth (French) at school. So far, her stepfather has not
>> attempted to teach her Polish. Her baby brother who was born last week
>> will speak Italian first.
>>

>Very interesting. And we don't see that approach much in schools
>here either. I was trying to think back to when I first studied
>French in 3rd grade.... We probably had books then.... Maybe the
>kids who are starting Mandarin etc. in Kindergarten now are
>concentrating on listening and speaking though.

I sincerely doubt it. Little of what we do in early elementary is
developmentally appropriate anymore.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Tracy > wrote:
>
> > ChattyCathy wrote:
> >

> > > CUEmin.

> > That's how I say it too - CUEmin, Qmin, Kyoo min.....
> >
> > When I hear someone say kuh min..it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.
> > It just doesn't sound right. I can deal with koo min though.
> >
> > I also say erbs as opposed to "H"erbs. The H is silent. Again, just my
> > way, not necessarily the only way.
> >
> > Tracy

> Do you say iss-tory? How about the author of Moby Dick? Erman Melville?
> There's some law about why erbs is correct but I can't remember what it
> is or what court it was adjudicated in.
>
> '-)

LOL The 'erb' pronunciation likely comes from French where that
particular h would be silent. However a lot of people in the UK say
'herb' rather than 'erb' anyway. Martha Stewart seems to use 'herb'
although most Americans I hear prefer 'erb'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:52:36 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

> Martha Stewart seems to use 'herb'
>although most Americans I hear prefer 'erb'.

Herb is a man's name. 'Erb is something you eat.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> I was interested to see that the French call the Russian president (or
> is it prime minister?) M. Poutine. I wonder if he has ever tried
> Quebecois Poutine? That might cause an "international incident" if it
> was fed to him!

LOL! Thanks for the chuckle.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:12:31 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Michel Boucher wrote:

> <snip>
>>> People who wish to speak foreign words or learn a language should learn
>>> to speak it BEFORE they read it, much in the same way that children learn
>>> a language...or even three before kindergarten like my granddaughter
>>> (English - mother; German - father; Italian - stepmother). She's working
>>> on her fourth (French) at school. So far, her stepfather has not
>>> attempted to teach her Polish. Her baby brother who was born last week
>>> will speak Italian first.
>>>

>> Very interesting. And we don't see that approach much in schools
>> here either. I was trying to think back to when I first studied
>> French in 3rd grade.... We probably had books then.... Maybe the
>> kids who are starting Mandarin etc. in Kindergarten now are
>> concentrating on listening and speaking though.

> I sincerely doubt it. Little of what we do in early elementary is
> developmentally appropriate anymore.

Oh, don't even get me started about education.

--
Jean B.

Turmeric not a wonder spice graham[_4_] General Cooking 32 21-01-2017 07:38 PM
Turmeric La Mirada General Cooking 149 10-06-2015 01:55 AM
turmeric Gill Smith General Cooking 10 15-11-2012 04:51 AM
Turmeric Nick Cramer Diabetic 34 04-01-2010 05:09 PM
Turmeric No One General Cooking 6 17-08-2006 08:29 PM