FoodBanter.com

-   -   supper tonight (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/157641-supper-tonight.html)

hahabogus 28-06-2008 06:49 PM

supper tonight

I drained a qt of saurkraut added 1 can green chillies and mixed in some
cheddar cheese smokies...Baked at 325 for 50 minutes...Not bad.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Dave Smith[_1_] 28-06-2008 08:11 PM

supper tonight

hahabogus wrote:

> I drained a qt of saurkraut added 1 can green chillies and mixed in some
> cheddar cheese smokies...Baked at 325 for 50 minutes...Not bad.

It's Saturday, so it is hamburger night. For some reason we always have
hamburgers (BBQed) on Saturdays during the summer. In the cold weather we do
Buffalo wings. It's the only night of the week we have a regular dish for the
day.

Lou Decruss[_2_] 28-06-2008 09:14 PM

supper tonight

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:49:11 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>I drained a qt of saurkraut added 1 can green chillies and mixed in some
>cheddar cheese smokies...Baked at 325 for 50 minutes...Not bad.

More of your fusion cooking?

Lou

Nancy Young 28-06-2008 11:21 PM

supper tonight

l, not -l wrote:
> On 28-Jun-2008, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> I drained a qt of saurkraut added 1 can green chillies and mixed in
>> some cheddar cheese smokies...Baked at 325 for 50 minutes...Not bad.

> I had planned on gazpacho and a salad because its been so hot;
> however, things have cooled down a bit so I'll have leftover Sichuan
> Blistered String Bean wiith Pork I made earlier in the week. Made
> the gazpacho earlier today and it will be better for sittng overnight
> anyway.

Yesterday I was looking through the freezer for some pasta sauce
and came across a container of pork and pepper goulash I make
some time ago. I got the recipe from Jamie at Home on FoodNetwork.
It was very tasty over rice. I like finding an occasional surprise in the
freezer.

The reason I'd been looking for pasta sauce was that I accidentally
came across some Premio brand brasciole. I've never had brasciole.
I'm not even especially sure I'm spelling it correctly. I trust that
brand or I wouldn't have tried it. It was good! I browned it and then
simmered it in the sauce for a while. maybe I'll make it myself some
time.

nancy

aem 28-06-2008 11:47 PM

supper tonight

On Jun 28, 3:21 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Yesterday I was looking through the freezer for some pasta sauce
> and came across a container of pork and pepper goulash I make
> some time ago. I got the recipe from Jamie at Home on FoodNetwork.
> It was very tasty over rice. I like finding an occasional surprise in the
> freezer. [snip]

Similar freezer-leading-to-dinner experience. I started a clean out
the freezer exercise yesterday and came across some "master sauce" for
Chinese red-cooking. After breakfast this morning before it got too
hot I had a pot of that simmering on the stove full of drumsticks.
They'll be part of a patio dinner tonight.

Bracciole (I don't vouch for this spelling any more than you do for
yours) always sounded like a poor work-to-reward ratio to me, but I'd
be happy to be proven wrong....-aem

Nancy Young 29-06-2008 12:59 AM

supper tonight

aem wrote:
> On Jun 28, 3:21 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday I was looking through the freezer for some pasta sauce
>> and came across a container of pork and pepper goulash I make
>> some time ago. I got the recipe from Jamie at Home on FoodNetwork.
>> It was very tasty over rice. I like finding an occasional surprise
>> in the freezer. [snip]

> Similar freezer-leading-to-dinner experience. I started a clean out
> the freezer exercise yesterday and came across some "master sauce" for
> Chinese red-cooking. After breakfast this morning before it got too
> hot I had a pot of that simmering on the stove full of drumsticks.
> They'll be part of a patio dinner tonight.

Nice. And this time of the year, finding dinner all but ready to
go is appreciated. What's Chinese red-cooking? Drumsticks
cooked this way sound good to me.

> Bracciole (I don't vouch for this spelling any more than you do for
> yours) always sounded like a poor work-to-reward ratio to me, but I'd
> be happy to be proven wrong ...

I hear you. It always seems to be a long, all day type of process and
I don't know if it's worth it.

nancy

sf[_3_] 29-06-2008 06:59 PM

supper tonight

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:21:52 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>The reason I'd been looking for pasta sauce was that I accidentally
>came across some Premio brand brasciole. I've never had brasciole.
>I'm not even especially sure I'm spelling it correctly. I trust that
>brand or I wouldn't have tried it. It was good! I browned it and then
>simmered it in the sauce for a while. maybe I'll make it myself some
>time.

There are lots of recipes out there - I googled for images and came up
with recipes too. :)
http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/brasciole/
http://www.digitalcookbook.tv/Recipe...ciole&catID=28

Mae West

aem 29-06-2008 07:31 PM

supper tonight

On Jun 28, 4:59 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Nice. And this time of the year, finding dinner all but ready to
> go is appreciated. What's Chinese red-cooking? Drumsticks
> cooked this way sound good to me.

Chinese Red-cooking (Loo)
One of the easiest things to do, good hot or cold, good for cooking in
advance for a picnic or patio dinner. Mix together:

4 TB soy sauce
4 TB sherry or rice wine
1/4 teaspoon sugar (or a small piece of rock sugar)
2 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed
1 thick slice fresh ginger, quarter-sized, crushed
2 whole star anise
2 dried red chile peppers, broken in half (including seeds)
1/2 cup chicken broth (or water, in a pinch)

(This is a good basic master sauce. Many variations are possible,
using dark soy sauce, adding a splash of rice vinegar, or a TB or two
of ketchup/tomato paste, for example. A few drops of sesame oil are
often added to the finished dish.)

Cook drumsticks or wings at a bare simmer in this liquid until done,
turning pieces as necessary to color all over. Browning them first
will add a layer of flavor but only a subtle one and it may be
skipped. After use, the liquid may be strained and saved multiple
times. Some fat may congeal on top which can be spooned off. If
saving for longer than about a week, freeze it. When reusing it, add
whatever seems to be needed--more garlic or ginger or star anise or
chiles.

If serving the chicken hot, you can make a lemon sauce: simmer 3/4
cup sugar and 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice together for 10 minutes.
Thicken with a cornstarch slurry--about 2 teaspoons each cornstarch
and cold water--and finish with some grated lemon rind/zest. -aem

Nancy Young 29-06-2008 07:58 PM

supper tonight

aem wrote:
> On Jun 28, 4:59 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>>>

>> Nice. And this time of the year, finding dinner all but ready to
>> go is appreciated. What's Chinese red-cooking? Drumsticks
>> cooked this way sound good to me.
>>

> Chinese Red-cooking (Loo)

(snipped)

Thanks! I'm going to try this soon.

nancy

Nancy Young 29-06-2008 08:24 PM

supper tonight

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:21:52 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>> The reason I'd been looking for pasta sauce was that I accidentally
>> came across some Premio brand brasciole. I've never had brasciole.
>> I'm not even especially sure I'm spelling it correctly. I trust that
>> brand or I wouldn't have tried it. It was good! I browned it and
>> then simmered it in the sauce for a while. maybe I'll make it
>> myself some time.

> There are lots of recipes out there - I googled for images and came up
> with recipes too. :)
> http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/brasciole/
> http://www.digitalcookbook.tv/Recipe...ciole&catID=28

Thanks! I intend to make this myself one day, probably in the fall.
Trick will be remembering. Heh.

nancy

sf[_3_] 29-06-2008 09:38 PM

supper tonight

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:24:51 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Thanks! I intend to make this myself one day, probably in the fall.
>Trick will be remembering. Heh.

Yeah, I know how that is. I hear you can set your computer to give
you notices. I have no idea how to do it though. Maybe Steve W does,
but he'll just tell you there are lots of articles about it on the
net.

Mae West

Nancy Young 29-06-2008 09:51 PM

supper tonight

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:24:51 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks! I intend to make this myself one day, probably in the fall.
>> Trick will be remembering. Heh.

> Yeah, I know how that is. I hear you can set your computer to give
> you notices. I have no idea how to do it though. Maybe Steve W does,
> but he'll just tell you there are lots of articles about it on the
> net.

Yup, I have used the calendar already. Very handy.
Thanks for reminding me.

nancy

Christine Dabney 29-06-2008 10:01 PM

supper tonight

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:51:25 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Yup, I have used the calendar already. Very handy.
>Thanks for reminding me.
>
>nancy

What is this calendar?

Supper tonight will either be arroz con pollo (from the leg quarters I
got on sale from the new Mexican mega-mart) or patty melts. I have
been craving one ever since this talk about them started. And I have
all the ingredients here....

Christine

Andy[_2_] 29-06-2008 10:15 PM

supper tonight

Christine Dabney said...

> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:51:25 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>

>>Yup, I have used the calendar already. Very handy.
>>Thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>nancy

> What is this calendar?
>
> Supper tonight will either be arroz con pollo (from the leg quarters I
> got on sale from the new Mexican mega-mart) or patty melts. I have
> been craving one ever since this talk about them started. And I have
> all the ingredients here....
>
> Christine

Hrrumph!

"Cook along with Christine" patty melts? Some challenge. :(

Dolphin (tuna free) on the Delaware river! Monday?

Andy

Nancy Young 29-06-2008 10:18 PM

supper tonight

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:51:25 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>

>> Yup, I have used the calendar already. Very handy.
>> Thanks for reminding me.

> What is this calendar?

Do you have Vista? (smile) Go to All Programs, look for
Windows Calendar. You can create a new appointment
and it pops up at what date and time you set.

> Supper tonight will either be arroz con pollo (from the leg quarters I
> got on sale from the new Mexican mega-mart) or patty melts. I have
> been craving one ever since this talk about them started. And I have
> all the ingredients here....

Sounds good. I had a big lunch, went to Ruby Tuesday and had a
chicken sandwich ... they call it a chicken burger, but it's a chicken
breast with melted swiss, bacon, tomato, lettuce and some kind of
garlic mayo. Served with their nice garlic fries.

If I get hungry, I'll just pick.

nancy