Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Learning to cook by listening? ;)

Learning to cook by listening?

I routinely leave on the Food-TV and Travel channels on, around the house but
rarely actually watch (MORE PORN!). More as background noise, almost to
disturb the solitude here in the woods.

Do you think you can learn just by listening?) I'm not quite certain, having
narrowed down my diet. I've gotten better ideas over the phone!

Andy
MORE PORN!
I know my next house will be a mega-yacht!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Learning to cook by listening?
>
> I routinely leave on the Food-TV and Travel channels on, around the house but
> rarely actually watch (MORE PORN!). More as background noise, almost to
> disturb the solitude here in the woods.
>
> Do you think you can learn just by listening?) I'm not quite certain, having
> narrowed down my diet. I've gotten better ideas over the phone!
>
> Andy
> MORE PORN!
> I know my next house will be a mega-yacht!

Depends what kind of learner you are. Some people are visual learners
and must see stuff for it to sink in. If you are an auditory learner
then no problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Learning to cook by listening?
>
> I routinely leave on the Food-TV and Travel channels on, around the house but
> rarely actually watch (MORE PORN!). More as background noise, almost to
> disturb the solitude here in the woods.
>
> Do you think you can learn just by listening?) I'm not quite certain, having
> narrowed down my diet. I've gotten better ideas over the phone!

If you talk to anyone who has taken education courses in the past
twenty years or so, they'll tell you about "Learning Styles"
which include seeing (visual), listening (auditory), textual(reading),
or a combination of those. People can be tested to determine their
preferred style.

Listening can be lecture format, tape recordings, etc. so theoretically
you can learn to cook by listening.

gloia p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Learning to cook by listening?
>
> I routinely leave on the Food-TV and Travel channels on, around the house
> but
> rarely actually watch (MORE PORN!). More as background noise, almost to
> disturb the solitude here in the woods.
>
> Do you think you can learn just by listening?) I'm not quite certain,
> having
> narrowed down my diet. I've gotten better ideas over the phone!
>
> Andy

Of course not!

After all we have learned over the years that University lectures are a
waste of time.

DUH!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Learning to cook by listening?
>>
>> I routinely leave on the Food-TV and Travel channels on, around the
>> house but rarely actually watch (MORE PORN!). More as background noise,
>> almost to disturb the solitude here in the woods.
>>
>> Do you think you can learn just by listening?) I'm not quite certain,
>> having narrowed down my diet. I've gotten better ideas over the phone!
>>

> If you talk to anyone who has taken education courses in the past
> twenty years or so, they'll tell you about "Learning Styles"
> which include seeing (visual), listening (auditory), textual(reading),
> or a combination of those. People can be tested to determine their
> preferred style.
>
> Listening can be lecture format, tape recordings, etc. so theoretically
> you can learn to cook by listening.
>
> gloia p

gloria p,

I do know, from college that the deaf students could communicate WAY faster
using ASL (American Sign Language), than we could speak. AND they could
communicate at a long distance apart!

It confounded me how the deaf students were the best foosball players,
having no sound distractions. I liked playing against them the best. It
made me visually concentrate better.

I learned ASL. The deaf students distinctly had the communications
advantage, except on one occasion at one of the college cafeterias one deaf
and half speaking girl sat down to dinner at a table and not being able to
hear herself signed but also spoke (YELLED) out "I GOT VD!"

Andy

learning how to cook Tracy007 Recipes 11 01-09-2010 05:28 AM
Learning to cook azngi16 General Cooking 14 12-05-2010 03:49 AM
Learning to Cook Finally williams_young General 0 15-02-2010 02:49 AM
Learning How to Cook Good [email protected] Barbecue 4 10-03-2007 03:17 PM
Learning to Cook? Scooter General Cooking 11 25-05-2006 12:58 AM