Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Adjusting appliance temps w/ no rheostat

For simplicity, I like the light-dimmer idea. It's true that, to a
light dimmer, a heating element looks like a group of lamp bulbs.
Therefore, it should work just fine.

At Home Depot, the largest, readily-available dimmer will handle about
a 600-Watt load. Although you didn't state what the wattage of the
device is, if the nameplate say 600 Watts or less, thad HD dimmer will
do the job!

I suggest that you buy a dimmer with a rotary control—not a slider.
The rotary control is easier to manage and remember (for example, it's
easy to change from two o'clock to four or five on the rotary
control—a little difficult on the slide control.

The HD clerk can tell you what you need once you explain your problem.
If you're confused, come back here and we'll help you.

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:26:10 -0700 (PDT), maxine in ri
wrote:

OK all you home-handypersons, mechanical geniuses and electrical
wiring experts, have i got a question for you!

I got a new yogurt maker at a yard sale (lady had a failed
kitchen store business, it was brand new in the box sealed
etc.) First batch came out grainy (probably my fault)
so I made the second batch under closer observation.

Finished product was just over 130 degrees, which is
the high end for yogurt cultures.

Is there some way i can build a temperature control into
the electric wire to reduce the temperature, or do I need
to count this up to the usual yard sale failure?

maxine in ri, soldering iron at the ready