Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Friday Night Fish Dinner

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 08:35:27 -0500, BoboBonobo >
wrote:

>We're moving next month to a house that is on 842 sq. ft.

Both of my kids bought small houses last fall. One is 800 sf and the
other is 850 sf, both have yards which really help take the pressure
off living in small spaces. Make a patio area ASAP so you'll have an
outdoor room.

As far as the inside of your house, HGTV is right. A lot of grunt
work, some paint and new hardware.... you've got a brand new house.
If you're interested, I can send you links to some of their
renovations. Let me amend that, I know DD has her kitchen redo up on
picassa. You have no idea how far $5,000 can go!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>> Tilapia--thankfully--is still pretty cheap. Now there's a cheap fish
>> that I love. Unlike pollock, it maintains its structural integrity in
>> the frying pan. Tastes better that pollock too.
>> I like hoki as well, and that's also cheap.
>>
>> --Bryan

> I still like my pollock, however. I like it *much* better, for my palate,
> than tilapia (tilapia tastes like dirt to me) and pollock is considerably
> cheaper as well. I can get 4 frozen pollock fillets for under $3 at my
> local Sav-A-Lot. It *is* a delicate fish, though, you're absolutely spot on
> about that; kind of tricky to turn in a skillet. Despite the flaws, I
> always keep pollock and whiting in my freezer for emergencies.

I wonder if one food processed the pollock, like for fish sticks, then
made balls, patties, sticks or whatever, and breaded them, whether
they'd stay together. Hmmm?

> kili

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> BoboBonobo wrote:
>> We're moving next month to a house that is on 842 sq. ft. versus the
>> 11xx sq. ft. of apartment we live in now. The computer desk will have
>> to go in the living room. The bedrooms are tiny, and we're giving the
>> larger one to our 6 YO. Plus, we have a large wardrobe, about 4' x
>> 2+'. It really is almost funny.
>>
>> --Bryan

> Hey, it works. We have an 800 square foot house. My husband's computer
> dominates the living room and I have my computer set up in the kitchen. Of
> course, with me being in the kitchen, that means I'm at his beck and call if
> he wants something to eat or drink because I'm closer. :-P LOL.

You don't have a 6 YO son.

> kili

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 21 Jun 2008 07:18:13a, kilikini told us...

> BoboBonobo wrote:
>>
>> We're moving next month to a house that is on 842 sq. ft. versus the
>> 11xx sq. ft. of apartment we live in now. The computer desk will have
>> to go in the living room. The bedrooms are tiny, and we're giving the
>> larger one to our 6 YO. Plus, we have a large wardrobe, about 4' x
>> 2+'. It really is almost funny.
>>
>> --Bryan

> Hey, it works. We have an 800 square foot house. My husband's computer
> dominates the living room and I have my computer set up in the kitchen.
> Of course, with me being in the kitchen, that means I'm at his beck and
> call if he wants something to eat or drink because I'm closer. :-P
> LOL.
>
> kili

You're at his beck and call because you don't tell him to get up off his
lazy ass and get it himself. :-))) I've cured David of that.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 08:35:27 -0500, BoboBonobo >
> wrote:
>
>> We're moving next month to a house that is on 842 sq. ft.

> Both of my kids bought small houses last fall. One is 800 sf and the
> other is 850 sf, both have yards which really help take the pressure
> off living in small spaces. Make a patio area ASAP so you'll have an
> outdoor room.

We have a back deck, and I'd like to expand the basement under the back
yard, but don't know if the city will let us. I'd love to build all
underground, for heating/cooling efficiency.

> As far as the inside of your house, HGTV is right. A lot of grunt
> work, some paint and new hardware.... you've got a brand new house.
> If you're interested, I can send you links to some of their
> renovations. Let me amend that, I know DD has her kitchen redo up on
> picassa. You have no idea how far $5,000 can go!

Oh it's really nice inside. Natural marble floor in the bathroom.
Hotel carpet (wool) with a giant 4' ornate pattern. The trim is painted
to accent the walls, none of which are white, the closet being the
kitchen, which is about the color of unbleached muslin, with a very
light blue trim. From the doorway between the kitchen and living room,
you can see 5 different colors of paint, and there's another color in
the bathroom. I put parquet on the kitchen floor, and the living room
has a little Franklin stove.

The basement is another story. It's unfinished, and the foundation
leaks, so I'm getting the yard to drain away from the house. I'm going
to win the battle of the leaky basement. I've also got a sump pump, and
my nephew owns a small jackhammer.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Hey, it works. We have an 800 square foot house. My husband's computer
> dominates the living room and I have my computer set up in the kitchen. Of
> course, with me being in the kitchen, that means I'm at his beck and call if
> he wants something to eat or drink because I'm closer. :-P LOL.

Well, and of course that does follow the Natural Order of Things.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BoboBonobo > wrote:

> I wonder if one food processed the pollock, like for fish sticks, then
> made balls, patties, sticks or whatever, and breaded them, whether
> they'd stay together. Hmmm?

Yes, of course, except that I'd prefer to use a mincer/grinder, or just
chop up the fish very finely with a knife. One can make rissoles,
croquettes, or quenelles and use various kinds of breading or flouring.
Rice flour is very nice for this type of things. One can also make a
filling with, say, fried onions, mushrooms and finely chopped boiled
eggs, or just a classic duxelle, and put it in the centre of the
rissoles, etc.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 20:29:34 -0500, BoboBonobo >
wrote:

>The basement is another story. It's unfinished, and the foundation
>leaks, so I'm getting the yard to drain away from the house. I'm going
>to win the battle of the leaky basement. I've also got a sump pump, and
>my nephew owns a small jackhammer.

Sounds like you're already set.

My kids bought dumps that they made livable.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BoboBonobo wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>>> Tilapia--thankfully--is still pretty cheap. Now there's a cheap
>>> fish that I love. Unlike pollock, it maintains its structural
>>> integrity in the frying pan. Tastes better that pollock too.
>>> I like hoki as well, and that's also cheap.
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>> I still like my pollock, however. I like it *much* better, for my
>> palate, than tilapia (tilapia tastes like dirt to me) and pollock is
>> considerably cheaper as well. I can get 4 frozen pollock fillets
>> for under $3 at my local Sav-A-Lot. It *is* a delicate fish,
>> though, you're absolutely spot on about that; kind of tricky to turn
>> in a skillet. Despite the flaws, I always keep pollock and whiting
>> in my freezer for emergencies.

> I wonder if one food processed the pollock, like for fish sticks, then
> made balls, patties, sticks or whatever, and breaded them, whether
> they'd stay together. Hmmm?
>>

> --Bryan

Interesting question! I'm going to have to try that! Thanks, Bryan.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> BoboBonobo > wrote:
>
>> I wonder if one food processed the pollock, like for fish sticks,
>> then made balls, patties, sticks or whatever, and breaded them,
>> whether they'd stay together. Hmmm?

> Yes, of course, except that I'd prefer to use a mincer/grinder, or
> just chop up the fish very finely with a knife. One can make
> rissoles, croquettes, or quenelles and use various kinds of breading
> or flouring. Rice flour is very nice for this type of things. One
> can also make a filling with, say, fried onions, mushrooms and finely
> chopped boiled eggs, or just a classic duxelle, and put it in the
> centre of the rissoles, etc.
>
> Victor

How about doing kind of a hush puppy thing with them? Dang, you folks have
given me some ideas. I may have to defrost a packet, now and give it a
whirl. (As in food processor. Heck, I just got up, give me a break.)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BoboBonobo wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> BoboBonobo wrote:
>>> We're moving next month to a house that is on 842 sq. ft. versus the
>>> 11xx sq. ft. of apartment we live in now. The computer desk will
>>> have to go in the living room. The bedrooms are tiny, and we're
>>> giving the larger one to our 6 YO. Plus, we have a large wardrobe,
>>> about 4' x 2+'. It really is almost funny.
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>> Hey, it works. We have an 800 square foot house. My husband's
>> computer dominates the living room and I have my computer set up in
>> the kitchen. Of course, with me being in the kitchen, that means
>> I'm at his beck and call if he wants something to eat or drink
>> because I'm closer. :-P LOL.

> You don't have a 6 YO son.
>>

> --Bryan

Yeah, but I have a 42 year old husband - same deal, I'd say. LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 21 Jun 2008 07:18:13a, kilikini told us...
>
>> BoboBonobo wrote:
>>>
>>> We're moving next month to a house that is on 842 sq. ft. versus the
>>> 11xx sq. ft. of apartment we live in now. The computer desk will
>>> have to go in the living room. The bedrooms are tiny, and we're
>>> giving the larger one to our 6 YO. Plus, we have a large wardrobe,
>>> about 4' x 2+'. It really is almost funny.
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>> Hey, it works. We have an 800 square foot house. My husband's
>> computer dominates the living room and I have my computer set up in
>> the kitchen. Of course, with me being in the kitchen, that means I'm
>> at his beck and call if he wants something to eat or drink because
>> I'm closer. :-P LOL.
>>
>> kili

> You're at his beck and call because you don't tell him to get up off
> his lazy ass and get it himself. :-))) I've cured David of that.

Any pointers or tips, Wayne, would surely be appreciated. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>
>> Hey, it works. We have an 800 square foot house. My husband's
>> computer dominates the living room and I have my computer set up in
>> the kitchen. Of course, with me being in the kitchen, that means
>> I'm at his beck and call if he wants something to eat or drink
>> because I'm closer. :-P LOL.

> Well, and of course that does follow the Natural Order of Things.

Do you think that's why I was relegated to the kitchen? :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:
>>
>>> Hey, it works. We have an 800 square foot house. My husband's
>>> computer dominates the living room and I have my computer set up in
>>> the kitchen. Of course, with me being in the kitchen, that means
>>> I'm at his beck and call if he wants something to eat or drink
>>> because I'm closer. :-P LOL.

>> Well, and of course that does follow the Natural Order of Things.

> Do you think that's why I was relegated to the kitchen? :~)

It was a precursor convention, at very least.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
Need a new feed?
http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
>> BoboBonobo > wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if one food processed the pollock, like for fish sticks,
>>> then made balls, patties, sticks or whatever, and breaded them,
>>> whether they'd stay together. Hmmm?

>> Yes, of course, except that I'd prefer to use a mincer/grinder, or
>> just chop up the fish very finely with a knife. One can make
>> rissoles, croquettes, or quenelles and use various kinds of breading
>> or flouring. Rice flour is very nice for this type of things. One
>> can also make a filling with, say, fried onions, mushrooms and finely
>> chopped boiled eggs, or just a classic duxelle, and put it in the
>> centre of the rissoles, etc.
>>
>> Victor

> How about doing kind of a hush puppy thing with them?

Hush fishies!

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
Need a new feed?
http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>
>> Victor Sack wrote:

>>> Yes, of course, except that I'd prefer to use a mincer/grinder, or
>>> just chop up the fish very finely with a knife. One can make
>>> rissoles, croquettes, or quenelles and use various kinds of breading
>>> or flouring. Rice flour is very nice for this type of things. One
>>> can also make a filling with, say, fried onions, mushrooms and
>>> finely chopped boiled eggs, or just a classic duxelle, and put it
>>> in the centre of the rissoles, etc.
>>>
>>> Victor

>> How about doing kind of a hush puppy thing with them?

> Hush fishies!

Yeah, that sounds good, doesn't it?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 6:19*am, "kilikini" > wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> Hey, it works. *We have an 800 square foot house. *My husband's
> >> computer dominates the living room and I have my computer set up in
> >> the kitchen. Of course, with me being in the kitchen, that means I'm
> >> at his beck and call if he wants something to eat or drink because
> >> I'm closer. *:-P LOL.

> >> kili

> > You're at his beck and call because you don't tell him to get up off
> > his lazy ass and get it himself. :-))) *I've cured David of that.

> Any pointers or tips, Wayne, would surely be appreciated. *:~)

Try withholding bl
Oooops! I forgot that this isn't alt.punk.
This NG has standards.
Not for food preparation, mind you, but otherwise.

> kili

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:

>>> How about doing kind of a hush puppy thing with them?

>> Hush fishies!

> Yeah, that sounds good, doesn't it?

Back to pollock itself, I've never knowlingly had any except in its faux
crab role. I dunno if I've ever even seen it in the fish department as
something for cooking.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
Need a new feed?
http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 11:03*am, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
> > Blinky the Shark wrote:

> >> Hush fishies!

> > Yeah, that sounds good, doesn't it?

> Back to pollock itself, I've never knowlingly had any except in its faux
> crab role. *I dunno if I've ever even seen it in the fish department as
> something for cooking.

Around here it is sold as "Alaskan Whitefish."
It usually comes as frozen filets in large Ziplock type bags, often as
cheap as $1.99/#.

> --
> Blinky
> * * * * Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
> * * * * Need a new feed?
> * * * *http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> Hush fishies!

>> Yeah, that sounds good, doesn't it?

> Back to pollock itself, I've never knowlingly had any except in its
> faux crab role. I dunno if I've ever even seen it in the fish
> department as something for cooking.

I get it frozen. It's cheap, it fills me up, it's light and it's adaptable.
:~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 22 Jun 2008 04:19:37a, kilikini told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Hey, it works. We have an 800 square foot house. My husband's
>>> computer dominates the living room and I have my computer set up in
>>> the kitchen. Of course, with me being in the kitchen, that means I'm
>>> at his beck and call if he wants something to eat or drink because
>>> I'm closer. :-P LOL.
>>>
>>> kili

>> You're at his beck and call because you don't tell him to get up off
>> his lazy ass and get it himself. :-))) I've cured David of that.

> Any pointers or tips, Wayne, would surely be appreciated. :~)
>
> kili

It was pretty simple really. I do a lot of things for David, as he does
for me. However, we had a talk once, and I told him that no matter what I
was doing, I was doing it because I either needed to or wanted to.
Further, that I am not his servant and he is equally capable of getting and
doing things for himself as I am for myself.

I "nursed" him to the extreme following his quadruple heart bypass surgery
and through his knee replacement surgery. I still "cater" to him in many
ways as is my choosing.

I cook all the meals and the cleaning up afterward. Apart from that, he
now gets his own drinks and snacks if he wants them.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 22 Jun 2008 04:19:37a, kilikini told us...
>

>>> You're at his beck and call because you don't tell him to get up off
>>> his lazy ass and get it himself. :-))) I've cured David of that.

>> Any pointers or tips, Wayne, would surely be appreciated. :~)
>>
>> kili

> It was pretty simple really. I do a lot of things for David, as he
> does for me. However, we had a talk once, and I told him that no
> matter what I was doing, I was doing it because I either needed to or
> wanted to. Further, that I am not his servant and he is equally
> capable of getting and doing things for himself as I am for myself.
>
> I "nursed" him to the extreme following his quadruple heart bypass
> surgery and through his knee replacement surgery. I still "cater" to
> him in many ways as is my choosing.
>
> I cook all the meals and the cleaning up afterward. Apart from that,
> he now gets his own drinks and snacks if he wants them.

Dang, I have to learn your technique! LOL. I'm going to work on it.
Thanks. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 22 Jun 2008 10:00:57a, kilikini told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sun 22 Jun 2008 04:19:37a, kilikini told us...

>>> Any pointers or tips, Wayne, would surely be appreciated. :~)
>>>
>>> kili

>> It was pretty simple really. I do a lot of things for David, as he
>> does for me. However, we had a talk once, and I told him that no
>> matter what I was doing, I was doing it because I either needed to or
>> wanted to. Further, that I am not his servant and he is equally
>> capable of getting and doing things for himself as I am for myself.
>>
>> I "nursed" him to the extreme following his quadruple heart bypass
>> surgery and through his knee replacement surgery. I still "cater" to
>> him in many ways as is my choosing.
>>
>> I cook all the meals and the cleaning up afterward. Apart from that,
>> he now gets his own drinks and snacks if he wants them.

> Dang, I have to learn your technique! LOL. I'm going to work on it.
> Thanks. :~)
>
> kili

Good luck, Kili. Those ole Southern boys are a toughter nut to crack, and
they're more used to being pampered and catered to. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
I hear what you're saying but I just
don't care.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:

>>> Yeah, that sounds good, doesn't it?

>> Back to pollock itself, I've never knowlingly had any except in its
>> faux crab role. I dunno if I've ever even seen it in the fish
>> department as something for cooking.

> I get it frozen. It's cheap, it fills me up, it's light and it's adaptable.
> :~)

I'll look for it. Thanks. Might need a backup for when everybody
discovers basa.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
Need a new feed?
http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 07:19:37 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 21 Jun 2008 07:18:13a, kilikini told us...

snippage

>>> Hey, it works. We have an 800 square foot house. My husband's
>>> computer dominates the living room and I have my computer set up in
>>> the kitchen. Of course, with me being in the kitchen, that means I'm
>>> at his beck and call if he wants something to eat or drink because
>>> I'm closer. :-P LOL.
>>>
>>> kili

>> You're at his beck and call because you don't tell him to get up off
>> his lazy ass and get it himself. :-))) I've cured David of that.

>Any pointers or tips, Wayne, would surely be appreciated. :~)
>
>kili

Just say no. ;-)
or how about, "o.k. honey, just a minute" and keep on doing what you
are doing and that minute never arrives.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 22 Jun 2008 10:16:53a, told us...

> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 07:19:37 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sat 21 Jun 2008 07:18:13a, kilikini told us...
>>>

> snippage

>>> You're at his beck and call because you don't tell him to get up off
>>> his lazy ass and get it himself. :-))) I've cured David of that.

>>Any pointers or tips, Wayne, would surely be appreciated. :~)
>>
>>kili
>>

> Just say no. ;-)
> or how about, "o.k. honey, just a minute" and keep on doing what you
> are doing and that minute never arrives.

I might add to that, "No, I'm busy. Please get it yourself" After a few
times, TFM might get the hint.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must knock over the kitchen
garbage can to get at the chicken bones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 12:06*pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> On Sun 22 Jun 2008 10:00:57a, kilikini told us...
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> On Sun 22 Jun 2008 04:19:37a, kilikini told us...

> >> It was pretty simple really. *I do a lot of things for David, as he
> >> does for me. *However, we had a talk once, and I told him that no
> >> matter what I was doing, I was doing it because I either needed to or
> >> wanted to. Further, that I am not his servant and he is equally
> >> capable of getting and doing things for himself as I am for myself.

> >> I "nursed" him to the extreme following his quadruple heart bypass
> >> surgery and through his knee replacement surgery. *I still "cater" to
> >> him in many ways as is my choosing.

> >> I cook all the meals and the cleaning up afterward. *Apart from that,
> >> he now gets his own drinks and snacks if he wants them.

> > Dang, I have to learn your technique! *LOL. *I'm going to work on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 22 Jun 2008 10:16:53a, told us...
>>

> I might add to that, "No, I'm busy. Please get it yourself" After a
> few times, TFM might get the hint.

Been there done that, too. :~) He's a stubborn one.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini > wrote:

> How about doing kind of a hush puppy thing with them?

Hm... not sure about it. In hush puppies everything is mixed together.
With minced fish, I'd stay with breading or flouring.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Hush fishies!

That's usually not necessary. Fishies do not tend to be very voluble.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> Hush fishies!

> That's usually not necessary. Fishies do not tend to be very voluble.

You just don't know the language like I do.

--
Blinky the Shark

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Victor Sack wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>>
>>> Hush fishies!

>> That's usually not necessary. Fishies do not tend to be very
>> voluble.

> You just don't know the language like I do.

kili