Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Party food, including recipes

The menu for tomorrow's party:

cold fried chicken
veggie kabobs with some sort of veggie protein (tofu or seitan or tempeh)
pulled pork and homemade rolls for sandwiches
corn on the cob
potato salad
macaroni salad
watermelon
lemonade
iced tea (sweet and un)
peach cobbler
homemade ice cream

I'm planning to make the chicken, salads, lemonade, and ice cream today
(to be frozen tomorrow). Here are the ice creams I plan to make:

Plain vanilla;
Green tea (just a plain vanilla recipe with some matcha powder thrown
in, but not as much matcha as last time; that stuff was STRONG);
and then these two:

From http://tartelette.blogspot.com/2007/...ice-cream.html

Peach Ice Cream, adapted from Cuisine at Home (thanks Lisa for my
birthday present!)

Makes 5 cups

2 cups fresh peaches, skinned, pitted and diced
1/4 sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
4 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, split in half or 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Macerate the peaches with the lemon juice in a saucepan with the lemon
juice and sugar for about 10 minutes or until syrupy. Simmer over medium
heat until the peaches are soft for about 5 minutes. Let cool completely.
Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until thick and pale. In the
meantime, heat the milk, cream and vanilla bean until steam rises.
Gradually add the hot cream to the egg yolks, whisking constantly to
prevent them from scrambling. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan
and cook over medium heat until the cream coats the back of a spoon, 5
to 8 minutes.
Strain the cream and let cool completely. Stir in the peaches. At that
point I used an hand-held mixer to puree some of the peaches and leave
chunks into the base. Churn the mixture in an ice cream maer according
to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a container and freeze until
firm.

From http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateIceCream.html

Chocolate ice cream

Recipe:

2 cups (480 ml) half-and-half

1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons (50 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 vanilla bean or 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

2 ounces (55 grams) semisweet chocolate, chopped

4 large egg yolks

1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar

Note: Half and Half cream is a mixture of cream and whole milk and
contains 10 ½ - 12% butterfat.

In a small saucepan gradually whisk together the half and half and the
cocoa powder until it is a smooth paste. Place over medium-high heat
and bring the half-and-half cocoa mixture and the vanilla bean (if
using) to the scalding point (the milk begins to foam up). Remove from
heat, take out the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds from the bean with
the back of a knife, and mix the seeds back into the half-and-half. Add
the chopped chocolate and stir until the chocolate has completely melted
and is smooth.

Meanwhile in a stainless steel bowl beat the egg yolks and sugar until
light and fluffy (about two minutes). You can do this with a wire whisk
or I like to use a hand mixer. Gradually pour the scalding half-and-half
mixture into the whipped egg yolk mixture, making sure you keep whisking
constantly so the eggs don't curdle. If any lumps do form, strain the
mixture first before heating.

Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and, stirring
constantly with a wooden spoon, cook until the custard thickens enough
that it coats the back of a spoon (170 degrees F) (77 degrees C). The
term 'coat a spoon' is a technique used mainly as a way to test when an
egg-based custard or sauce is done. A spoon, usually wooden, is placed
in the custard and, when the spoon is raised, the film of custard on the
back of the spoon will stay in place even when you draw a line with your
finger through the middle of the custard.

Immediately remove the custard from the heat and continue to stir the
custard for a few minutes so it does not overcook. At this point stir in
the vanilla extract, if using. Cover and let cool to room temperature
and then refrigerate the custard until it is completely cold (several
hours but preferably overnight).

Transfer the cold custard to the container of your ice cream machine and
process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once made,
transfer the ice cream to a chilled container and store in the freezer.
If the ice cream becomes too hard place in the refrigerator for about 30
minutes before serving so it can soften.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 11:39*am, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> [...]
> in the custard and, when the spoon is raised, the film of custard on the
> back of the spoon will stay in place even when you draw a line with your
> finger through the middle of the custard.
>
> Immediately remove the custard from the heat and continue to stir the
> custard for a few minutes so it does not overcook. At this point stir in
> the vanilla extract, if using. Cover and let cool to room temperature
> and then refrigerate the custard until it is completely cold (several
> hours but preferably overnight).
>
> Transfer the cold custard to the container of your ice cream machine and
> process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once made,
> transfer the ice cream to a chilled container and store in the freezer.
> If the ice cream becomes too hard place in the refrigerator for about 30
> minutes before serving so it can soften.

Sounds fabulous- what's the occasion- Summer Solstice??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> Sounds fabulous- what's the occasion- Summer Solstice??

Yep! It's also turned into a party to celebrate an out-of-town friend's
visit, and the arrival of my niece to live with us. Should be fun; we're
expecting around 15-20 people.

(Oh, and merryb, could you please snip some of the post you're replying
to? Thanks!)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> (Oh, and merryb, could you please snip some of the post you're replying
> to? Thanks!)
>
> Serene

Sorry- I keep forgetting! Someone once blasted me for cutting too
much, and claimed they had no reference to what I was saying- I was
the first person who replied to the original poster. Oh well,...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
>> (Oh, and merryb, could you please snip some of the post you're replying
>> to? Thanks!)
>>
>> Serene

> Sorry- I keep forgetting! Someone once blasted me for cutting too
> much, and claimed they had no reference to what I was saying- I was
> the first person who replied to the original poster. Oh well,...

Don't sweat it. Everyone forgets sometimes. Thanks!

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> From http://tartelette.blogspot.com/2007/...ice-cream.html
>
> Peach Ice Cream, adapted from Cuisine at Home (thanks Lisa for my
> birthday present!)

> From http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateIceCream.html
>
> Chocolate ice cream

Just as an update/review, I made both of these recipes exactly as
written (with vanilla extract, not beans), and wow, were they both
yummy. The chocolate doesn't make near enough, but I plan to double both
of them when I make them next. The chocolate really tasted like a dark
chocolate ice cream, though I know that's kind of silly considering all
the milk in there.

Also, the method for cooking the custard differs in the recipes, and the
chocolate method (basically, double-boiler style) took a really long
time, while the peach (in a pot) took a lot less time, of course. I'm
going to try the faster method with the chocolate next time and see if
the recipe suffers. I didn't love slaving over a hot stove for so long
to make ice cream.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> From
>> http://tartelette.blogspot.com/2007/...ice-cream.html Peach
>> Ice Cream, adapted from Cuisine at Home (thanks Lisa for my
>> birthday present!)

>> From http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateIceCream.html
>>
>> Chocolate ice cream

> Just as an update/review, I made both of these recipes exactly as
> written (with vanilla extract, not beans), and wow, were they both
> yummy. The chocolate doesn't make near enough, but I plan to double
> both of them when I make them next. The chocolate really tasted like
> a dark chocolate ice cream, though I know that's kind of silly
> considering all the milk in there.

Get thee behind me you wicked woman!!!!

> Also, the method for cooking the custard differs in the recipes, and
> the chocolate method (basically, double-boiler style) took a really
> long time, while the peach (in a pot) took a lot less time, of
> course. I'm going to try the faster method with the chocolate next
> time and see if the recipe suffers. I didn't love slaving over a hot
> stove for so long to make ice cream.
>
> Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Also, the method for cooking the custard differs in the recipes, and the
> chocolate method (basically, double-boiler style) took a really long time,
> while the peach (in a pot) took a lot less time, of course. I'm going to
> try the faster method with the chocolate next time and see if the recipe
> suffers. I didn't love slaving over a hot stove for so long to make ice
> cream.
>
> Serene

If you have a very thick copper pot you can almost always do without the
double boiler. If you don't try a flametamer under the heaviest pan you do
have. I don't have a double boiler as they always seem to be too small or
to big for the thing I'm doing, but will do the pan of water if necessary.
It rarely is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>>
>>> From
>>> http://tartelette.blogspot.com/2007/...ice-cream.html Peach
>>> Ice Cream, adapted from Cuisine at Home (thanks Lisa for my
>>> birthday present!)

>>> From http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateIceCream.html
>>>
>>> Chocolate ice cream

>> Just as an update/review, I made both of these recipes exactly as
>> written (with vanilla extract, not beans), and wow, were they both
>> yummy. The chocolate doesn't make near enough, but I plan to double
>> both of them when I make them next. The chocolate really tasted like
>> a dark chocolate ice cream, though I know that's kind of silly
>> considering all the milk in there.

> Get thee behind me you wicked woman!!!!

Hee! You should really try it, Ophelia. <singsong voice> Just one
biiiiiiiiiite...</singsong voice>

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Also, the method for cooking the custard differs in the recipes, and the
>> chocolate method (basically, double-boiler style) took a really long time,
>> while the peach (in a pot) took a lot less time, of course. I'm going to
>> try the faster method with the chocolate next time and see if the recipe
>> suffers. I didn't love slaving over a hot stove for so long to make ice
>> cream.
>>
>> Serene

> If you have a very thick copper pot you can almost always do without the
> double boiler.

Yes, the pot I used has a thick copper bottom. That's probably why I
didn't have any problem with scorching. And then I was a FOOL and left
it too long on the stove with a batch of molassessy barbecue sauce, and
burned a black layer onto the bottom of the thing. James thinks it'll
come off with some soaking and scrubbing; I'm less optimistic. :-(

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> And then I was a FOOL and left it too long on the stove with a batch of
> molassessy barbecue sauce, and burned a black layer onto the bottom of the
> thing. James thinks it'll come off with some soaking and scrubbing; I'm
> less optimistic. :-(
>
> Serene

If it has a steel interior, boil water with bleach in it fr a while. I do
not know why this works, but it does. My friend from the Phillipines told
me about this. If itt is tin inside, I don't know that it's up to that, but
you can scrub and then get it retinned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> And then I was a FOOL and left it too long on the stove with a batch of
>> molassessy barbecue sauce, and burned a black layer onto the bottom of the
>> thing. James thinks it'll come off with some soaking and scrubbing; I'm
>> less optimistic. :-(
>>
>> Serene

> If it has a steel interior, boil water with bleach in it fr a while. I do
> not know why this works, but it does.

I will do that. Thanks!

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:

>>> Just as an update/review, I made both of these recipes exactly as
>>> written (with vanilla extract, not beans), and wow, were they both
>>> yummy. The chocolate doesn't make near enough, but I plan to double
>>> both of them when I make them next. The chocolate really tasted
>>> like a dark chocolate ice cream, though I know that's kind of silly
>>> considering all the milk in there.

>> Get thee behind me you wicked woman!!!!

> Hee! You should really try it, Ophelia. <singsong voice> Just one
> biiiiiiiiiite...</singsong voice>

Siren!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Giusi wrote:
>> "Serene Vannoy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> Also, the method for cooking the custard differs in the recipes,
>>> and the chocolate method (basically, double-boiler style) took a
>>> really long time, while the peach (in a pot) took a lot less time,
>>> of course. I'm going to try the faster method with the chocolate
>>> next time and see if the recipe suffers. I didn't love slaving
>>> over a hot stove for so long to make ice cream.
>>>
>>> Serene

>> If you have a very thick copper pot you can almost always do without
>> the double boiler.

> Yes, the pot I used has a thick copper bottom. That's probably why I
> didn't have any problem with scorching. And then I was a FOOL and left
> it too long on the stove with a batch of molassessy barbecue sauce,
> and burned a black layer onto the bottom of the thing. James thinks
> it'll come off with some soaking and scrubbing; I'm less optimistic.
> :-(

A little detergent and water and simmer. It will eventually lift off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> And then I was a FOOL and left it too long on the stove with a batch
>> of molassessy barbecue sauce, and burned a black layer onto the
>> bottom of the thing. James thinks it'll come off with some soaking
>> and scrubbing; I'm less optimistic. :-(
>>
>> Serene

> If it has a steel interior, boil water with bleach in it fr a while. I do
> not know why this works, but it does. My friend from the
> Phillipines told me about this. If itt is tin inside, I don't know
> that it's up to that, but you can scrub and then get it retinned.

Oops sorry! You are probably quite right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> Giusi wrote:

>>> If you have a very thick copper pot you can almost always do without
>>> the double boiler.

>> Yes, the pot I used has a thick copper bottom. That's probably why I
>> didn't have any problem with scorching. And then I was a FOOL and left
>> it too long on the stove with a batch of molassessy barbecue sauce,
>> and burned a black layer onto the bottom of the thing. James thinks
>> it'll come off with some soaking and scrubbing; I'm less optimistic.
>> :-(

> A little detergent and water and simmer. It will eventually lift off.

By the time I checked this morning, James had already gotten it clean.
What he did was leave it to soak overnight with soapy water. By the next
morning, there was a big bubble under the layer of burnt-on molasses,
and he was able to lift the layer off in mostly one piece. I am
relieved. Those pots weren't cheap.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:

>>> Yes, the pot I used has a thick copper bottom. That's probably why I
>>> didn't have any problem with scorching. And then I was a FOOL and
>>> left it too long on the stove with a batch of molassessy barbecue
>>> sauce, and burned a black layer onto the bottom of the thing. James
>>> thinks it'll come off with some soaking and scrubbing; I'm less
>>> optimistic. :-(

>> A little detergent and water and simmer. It will eventually lift
>> off.

> By the time I checked this morning, James had already gotten it clean.
> What he did was leave it to soak overnight with soapy water. By the
> next morning, there was a big bubble under the layer of burnt-on
> molasses, and he was able to lift the layer off in mostly one piece.
> I am relieved. Those pots weren't cheap.

Everyone should have a James)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:

>> By the time I checked this morning, James had already gotten it clean.
>> What he did was leave it to soak overnight with soapy water. By the
>> next morning, there was a big bubble under the layer of burnt-on
>> molasses, and he was able to lift the layer off in mostly one piece.
>> I am relieved. Those pots weren't cheap.

> Everyone should have a James)

I. Totally. Agree. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote in
:

> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> From
>> http://tartelette.blogspot.com/2007/...ice-cream.html
>>
>> Peach Ice Cream, adapted from Cuisine at Home (thanks Lisa for my
>> birthday present!)

>> From http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateIceCream.html
>>
>> Chocolate ice cream

> Just as an update/review, I made both of these recipes exactly as
> written (with vanilla extract, not beans), and wow, were they both
> yummy. The chocolate doesn't make near enough, but I plan to double
> both of them when I make them next. The chocolate really tasted like
> a dark chocolate ice cream, though I know that's kind of silly
> considering all the milk in there.

A pinch of salt would help.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> Serene Vannoy > wrote in
> :
>
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>>
>>> From
>>> http://tartelette.blogspot.com/2007/...ice-cream.html
>>>
>>> Peach Ice Cream, adapted from Cuisine at Home (thanks Lisa for my
>>> birthday present!)

>>> From http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateIceCream.html
>>>
>>> Chocolate ice cream

>> Just as an update/review, I made both of these recipes exactly as
>> written (with vanilla extract, not beans), and wow, were they both
>> yummy. The chocolate doesn't make near enough, but I plan to double
>> both of them when I make them next. The chocolate really tasted like
>> a dark chocolate ice cream, though I know that's kind of silly
>> considering all the milk in there.

> A pinch of salt would help.

Help what? I just said it was really good. It doesn't need any help,
but thanks. :-)

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:44:11 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>Giusi wrote:
>> "Serene Vannoy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> And then I was a FOOL and left it too long on the stove with a batch of
>>> molassessy barbecue sauce, and burned a black layer onto the bottom of the
>>> thing. James thinks it'll come off with some soaking and scrubbing; I'm
>>> less optimistic. :-(
>>>
>>> Serene

>> If it has a steel interior, boil water with bleach in it fr a while. I do
>> not know why this works, but it does.

>I will do that. Thanks!
>
>Serene

if it's at all well-made, it should endure some abuse. fear not!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:33:53 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:

>>> Yes, the pot I used has a thick copper bottom. That's probably why I
>>> didn't have any problem with scorching. And then I was a FOOL and left
>>> it too long on the stove with a batch of molassessy barbecue sauce,
>>> and burned a black layer onto the bottom of the thing. James thinks
>>> it'll come off with some soaking and scrubbing; I'm less optimistic.
>>> :-(

>> A little detergent and water and simmer. It will eventually lift off.
>>

>By the time I checked this morning, James had already gotten it clean.
>What he did was leave it to soak overnight with soapy water. By the next
>morning, there was a big bubble under the layer of burnt-on molasses,
>and he was able to lift the layer off in mostly one piece. I am
>relieved. Those pots weren't cheap.
>
>Serene

good for him (and you). that's why you spend the big bucks (on the
pot. i don't know your arrangement with james).

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:33:53 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> > wrote:

>> By the time I checked this morning, James had already gotten it clean.
>> What he did was leave it to soak overnight with soapy water. By the next
>> morning, there was a big bubble under the layer of burnt-on molasses,
>> and he was able to lift the layer off in mostly one piece. I am
>> relieved. Those pots weren't cheap.
>>
>> Serene

> good for him (and you). that's why you spend the big bucks (on the
> pot. i don't know your arrangement with james).

We live together. We'd be married if we were allowed (long story).
Anyway, we already have to replace the 2-quart pot in the same set,
because he accidentally put the burner on high to dry the pan (he
normally sets the washed pan on a low burner to dry it out, which I
think is slightly odd but usually harmless) and left it for a while, and
the copper bottom just *melted*.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
> > Serene Vannoy wrote:
> >> By the time I checked this morning, James had already
> >>gotten it clean. What he did was leave it to soak overnight
> >> with soapy water. By the next morning, there was a big
> >> bubble under the layer of burnt-on molasses, and he was
> >> able to lift the layer off in mostly one piece. I am relieved.
> >> Those pots weren't cheap.

> > good for him (and you). �that's why you spend the big bucks (on the
> > pot. �i don't know your arrangement with james).

> We live together. We'd be married if we were allowed (long story).

Oh, don't let that little formality stop you, we have wads of time...
I'm sure everyone wants to hear this... you're not robbing the cradle
are you, are you going to tell us James is 14 and you're his high
school teacher?