Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Does an avocado continue to ripen after it's been cut in half?

I have an avocado that is nearly ripe but not quite. I am thinking I'd
like to use half of it now even though it's a little green, but wonder
if the other half will ripen in the same fashion as if it was whole?..

thanks Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
>I have an avocado that is nearly ripe but not quite. I am thinking I'd
> like to use half of it now even though it's a little green, but wonder
> if the other half will ripen in the same fashion as if it was whole?..

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
>I have an avocado that is nearly ripe but not quite. I am thinking I'd
> like to use half of it now even though it's a little green, but wonder
> if the other half will ripen in the same fashion as if it was whole?..
>
> thanks Karen

They just turn dark brown unless you soak them in some lime or lemon juice
infused water.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:
> I have an avocado that is nearly ripe but not quite. I am thinking I'd
> like to use half of it now even though it's a little green, but wonder
> if the other half will ripen in the same fashion as if it was whole?..
>
> thanks Karen

no, avocados don't begin to ripen until they're harvested from the
tree. if you cut it, squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice on the top of
the unused half, to keep it green, or it will darken. it's still
good, just cut off the dark part.

harriet & critters here in azusa where it was 110f today.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 8:00*pm, "free.teranews.com" > wrote:
> No.

How about if you put that green 1/2 avocado in the microwave -- will
that ripen it up a tad bit?

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 8:05*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> They just turn dark brown unless you soak them in some lime or lemon juice
> infused water.

bananas ripen a little more if left half eaten with the peel on; why
not avocados?

I think avocados will ripe a little bit after they're cut.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
On Jun 18, 8:05 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> They just turn dark brown unless you soak them in some lime or lemon juice
> infused water.

>bananas ripen a little more if left half eaten with the peel on; why
>not avocados?

I am not sure. They don't. Bananas go black in the fridge, avacadoes
don't.

>I think avocados will ripe a little bit after they're cut.

Been eating those suckers most of my entire life. I love them. I am an
avacado junkie. They do not ripen when cut. You can however preserve the
cut portion for a short time. Leaving the pit in one half does help them
stay green but exposed to oxygen they go dark very fast - within hours.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"mequeenbe.nospam" > wrote in message

> Karen wrote:
>> I have an avocado that is nearly ripe but not quite. I am thinking I'd
>> like to use half of it now even though it's a little green, but wonder
>> if the other half will ripen in the same fashion as if it was whole?..
>>
>> thanks Karen

> no, avocados don't begin to ripen until they're harvested from the
> tree. if you cut it, squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice on the top of
> the unused half, to keep it green, or it will darken. it's still
> good, just cut off the dark part.
>
> harriet & critters here in azusa where it was 110f today.

Claremont here, so hot the cats wanted to stay inside.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote:

>I think avocados will ripe a little bit after they're cut.

No, they won't. When you cut an apple, does it continue to ripen?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
On Jun 18, 8:00 pm, "free.teranews.com" > wrote:
>> No.

>How about if you put that green 1/2 avocado in the microwave -- will
>that ripen it up a tad bit?

No but it will make it awfully hot.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 9:15*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> No, they won't. When you cut an apple, does it continue to ripen?

Maybe a little bit?

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
On Jun 18, 9:15 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> No, they won't. When you cut an apple, does it continue to ripen?

>Maybe a little bit?

Nope. You have to wait for the avocado to ripen fully before you cut it, or
deal with a whole avocado that was not allowed to ripen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
On Jun 18, 8:00 pm, "free.teranews.com" > wrote:
> No.

>How about if you put that green 1/2 avocado in the >microwave -- will that
>ripen it up a tad bit?

You're just screwing with us, aren't you, Karen?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>"Karen" > wrote in message
>On Jun 18, 8:05 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>> They just turn dark brown unless you soak them in some lime or lemon juice
>> infused water.

<bananas ripen a little more if left half eaten with the peel on; why
>not avocados?

>I think avocados will ripe a little bit after they're cut.

>Karen

You must be either trolling or pulling our collective leg. You apparently don't know
the difference between ripening and rotting?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:44:07 -0700 (PDT), Karen >
wrote:

>I have an avocado that is nearly ripe but not quite. I am thinking I'd
>like to use half of it now even though it's a little green, but wonder
>if the other half will ripen in the same fashion as if it was whole?..

No.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:55:15 -0700 (PDT), Karen >
wrote:

>On Jun 18, 8:00*pm, "free.teranews.com" > wrote:
>> No.

>How about if you put that green 1/2 avocado in the microwave -- will
>that ripen it up a tad bit?

You'll cook it, not ripen it.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:56:23 -0700 (PDT), Karen >
wrote:

>On Jun 18, 8:05*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>> They just turn dark brown unless you soak them in some lime or lemon juice
>> infused water.

>bananas ripen a little more if left half eaten with the peel on; why
>not avocados?
>
>I think avocados will ripe a little bit after they're cut.

consider it a science experiment.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:34:22 -0700 (PDT), Karen >
wrote:

>On Jun 18, 9:15*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> No, they won't. When you cut an apple, does it continue to ripen?

>Maybe a little bit?

apples rot after they are cut, they don't ripen.... avocados rot too.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:36:36 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>>"Karen" > wrote in message
>>On Jun 18, 8:05 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>>> They just turn dark brown unless you soak them in some lime or lemon juice
>>> infused water.

><bananas ripen a little more if left half eaten with the peel on; why
>>not avocados?

>>I think avocados will ripe a little bit after they're cut.

>>Karen

>You must be either trolling or pulling our collective leg.

or just plain dense.

>You apparently don't know the difference between ripening and rotting?

agreed.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote:
> "Karen" wrote:
> >I think avocados will ripe a little bit after they're cut.

> No, they won't. When you cut an apple, does it continue to ripen?

But you're tawkin' apples and pears (alligator pears).

Once cut avocado needs to be consumed or frozen or it will rot.

http://www.avocado.org/about/fruit-selection

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" <.> wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:56:23 -0700 (PDT), Karen >
> wrote:
>
>>On Jun 18, 8:05 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>>> They just turn dark brown unless you soak them in some lime or lemon
>>> juice
>>> infused water.

>>bananas ripen a little more if left half eaten with the peel on; why
>>not avocados?
>>
>>I think avocados will ripe a little bit after they're cut.
>>

> consider it a science experiment.

If she wants to experiment with a $3.00 fruit, let her!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 11:55*pm, Karen > wrote:
> On Jun 18, 8:00*pm, "free.teranews.com" > wrote:
>
> > No.

> How about if you put that green 1/2 avocado in the microwave -- will
> that ripen it up a tad bit?
>
> Karen

"Soft" and "ripe" are not the same thing.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 9:57*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> You're just screwing with us, aren't you, Karen?

No. I have always wondered if it can happen. It seems like it does a
little bit but am not sure.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 10:36*pm, "Nexis" > wrote:
> You must be either trolling or pulling our collective leg. You apparently don't know
> the difference between ripening and rotting?

Rotting could be just an extension of over-ripening? So,
theoretically, it could ripen a little more. Or does the whole
chemistry of the avocado change? Why doesn't it change when it's taken
from the tree? Why do fruit continue to ripen after they've been
picked off the tree? Kind of the same line of thinking here.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 10:57*pm, sf <.> wrote:
> consider it a science experiment.

I take it there is not a scientist in the building?

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:
> On Jun 18, 10:36 pm, "Nexis" > wrote:
>> You must be either trolling or pulling our collective leg. You
>> apparently don't know the difference between ripening and rotting?

> Rotting could be just an extension of over-ripening? So,
> theoretically, it could ripen a little more. Or does the whole
> chemistry of the avocado change? Why doesn't it change when it's taken
> from the tree? Why do fruit continue to ripen after they've been
> picked off the tree? Kind of the same line of thinking here.
>
> Karen

The chemistry of the avocado does change when it over-ripens. The flesh
gets stringy and starts to turn black. The avocado flesh is basically a way
to keep the seed core moist after it falls off the tree to help the
sprouting process. The internal, normally green part of the avocado gets
brown tough fibers as it ripens; I don't know if it's a start of a root
system or what, but it makes eating an over-ripe avocado unpleasant, at
best.

It's very difficult to find a perfectly ripened avocado in the store, but as
others have said, it won't ripen any more once it's been cut - it will turn
black and rot. You mentioned these were Haas. Haas' skin turns a dark
greenish-black when it's ripe. The peel should give slightly when pressed.
If the fruit feels mushy when pressed, you've already got a stringy,
over-ripe avocado that will be black-ish inside and almost useless. If your
avocados are still green and firm, put them in a paper bag and leave them in
a dark location, like under your sink, for a few days and then inspect them.

Hope this helps!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in
> Haas' skin turns a dark greenish-black when it's ripe. The peel should
> give slightly when pressed. If the fruit feels mushy when pressed, you've
> already got a stringy, over-ripe avocado that will be black-ish inside and
> almost useless. If your avocados are still green and firm, put them in a
> paper bag and leave them in a dark location, like under your sink, for a
> few days and then inspect them.
>
> Hope this helps!

It helped me! Thanks! I love fresh guac, and have a recipe from Chili's,
from
when I waited tables there in Houston.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
On Jun 18, 9:57 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> You're just screwing with us, aren't you, Karen?

>No. I have always wondered if it can happen. It seems >like it does a
>little bit but am not sure.

I think the answer is, it changes, but that is not ripening. Kili's answer
is the best. I have never had an avocado that was better later than when it
was freshly cut.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in
>> Haas' skin turns a dark greenish-black when it's ripe. The peel
>> should give slightly when pressed. If the fruit feels mushy when
>> pressed, you've already got a stringy, over-ripe avocado that will
>> be black-ish inside and almost useless. If your avocados are still
>> green and firm, put them in a paper bag and leave them in a dark
>> location, like under your sink, for a few days and then inspect them.
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>

> It helped me! Thanks! I love fresh guac, and have a recipe from
> Chili's, from
> when I waited tables there in Houston.

Care to share???

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote :

>> It helped me! Thanks! I love fresh guac, and have a recipe from
>> Chili's, from
>> when I waited tables there in Houston.

> Care to share???

Sure!

I watched the cooks make it, so measurements are approximate.
(It's a big batch, too! One of the problems with restaurant recipes ..)

Flesh of 5-6 avocados
The juice of half a fresh lemon (be sure to get the seeds out!)
One tablespoon worchestershire sauce.
One average sweet onion (about 3/4 cup chopped)
finely diced.
Two large ripe tomatoes, diced.
3-4 dashes of tabasco (you can do this at the end, to taste.)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Mash avocados in a bowl. Use a fork. (I like nice big chunks in my
guac.) Add lemon juice, onion, worchestershire, tabasco and salt
and pepper.

Serve on bed of shredded iceberg lettuce, top with diced tomatoes
when served.

Really good stuff. You can also add the W. sauce to taste, at the end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote :
>>>>

>>> It helped me! Thanks! I love fresh guac, and have a recipe from
>>> Chili's, from
>>> when I waited tables there in Houston.

>> Care to share???
>>

> Sure!
>
> I watched the cooks make it, so measurements are approximate.
> (It's a big batch, too! One of the problems with restaurant recipes
> ..)
> Flesh of 5-6 avocados
> The juice of half a fresh lemon (be sure to get the seeds out!)
> One tablespoon worchestershire sauce.
> One average sweet onion (about 3/4 cup chopped)
> finely diced.
> Two large ripe tomatoes, diced.
> 3-4 dashes of tabasco (you can do this at the end, to taste.)
> Salt and pepper to taste.
>
> Mash avocados in a bowl. Use a fork. (I like nice big chunks in my
> guac.) Add lemon juice, onion, worchestershire, tabasco and salt
> and pepper.
>
> Serve on bed of shredded iceberg lettuce, top with diced tomatoes
> when served.
>
> Really good stuff. You can also add the W. sauce to taste, at the end.

Worcestershire. Interesting. I would have never thought of that in Guac.
I'm going to have to try this now. Thanks, cyber!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 19, 12:01*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> I watched the cooks make it, so measurements are approximate.
> (It's a big batch, too! One of the problems with restaurant recipes ..)

This strikes me as a good example of why it's easy to prepare better
food than an average restaurant. Just watch out for their shortcuts
and don't emulate them.

> Flesh of 5-6 avocados

Some restaurants use whichever type is cheapest; we can hold out for
Hass.

> The juice of half a fresh lemon (be sure to get the seeds out!)

I like lime juice much much better than lemon for guac, but maybe
that's just personal taste.

> One tablespoon worchestershire sauce.

Very questionable addition, possibly an attempt to make up for no
garlic.

> One average sweet onion (about 3/4 cup chopped)
> finely diced.
> Two large ripe tomatoes, diced.
> 3-4 dashes of tabasco (you can do this at the end, to taste.)

Also very questionable. Tabasco and other Louisiana hot sauces are
vinegar based, and don't mesh well with the avocado and citrus mix.
They didn't want to spend the time or expense to chop a couple of
jalapenos or serranos.

> Salt and pepper to taste.
> Serve on bed of shredded iceberg lettuce, top with diced *tomatoes
> when served.

Only function of shredded lettuce is to try to make the serving look
bigger. Absence of garlic and cilantro probably reflects fear of
putting some customers off.

The best guac is very much a matter of personal taste, of course. I
wouldn't like this one but wouldn't be surprised if many others did.
That's not the point. I just like to note every now and then that
"restaurant standard" is often not a lofty goal but rather a result of
time and cost savings that downgrade the results. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Absence of garlic and cilantro probably reflects fear of
>>> putting some customers off.

* Never in all my life have I seen cilantro in guacamole and ot sounds like
a bad idea to me.

>>> The best guac is very much a matter of personal taste, of course. I
>>> wouldn't like this one but wouldn't be surprised if many others did.
>>> That's not the point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>"Karen" > wrote in message
>On Jun 18, 10:36 pm, "Nexis" > wrote:
>> You must be either trolling or pulling our collective leg. You apparently don't
>> know
>> the difference between ripening and rotting?

>Rotting could be just an extension of over-ripening? So,
>theoretically, it could ripen a little more. Or does the whole
>chemistry of the avocado change? Why doesn't it change when it's taken
>from the tree? Why do fruit continue to ripen after they've been
>picked off the tree? Kind of the same line of thinking here.

>Karen

Karen,

The chemistry of the avocado DOES change when it's picked off the tree. Avocados do
not ripen until *after* they are picked. In fact, commercial growers will use the
trees as storage because of this. This is also the reason they must reach full
maturity before being picked. During the ripening process there is a "burst" of
respiration and ethylene production, and the ripening can happen quite quickly, which
is why you'll here some people talk of avocados that were hard in the morning and
ripe by dinner time.

Avocados have a high oil content. Once cut, the oils will begin to go rancid. The
triglycerides break down, and the taste suffers immensely. This is when they will
turn black and rot. This is NOT ripening, this is rotting. This is why you're avocado
will not continue to ripen once it is cut. The oxidization (when the flesh begins to
brown) is the first step.

You can speed up or slow down the ripening process. By placing them in a paper bag
and keeping them in a cool, dark place, they will ripen faster than if left on the
counter. Adding an apple or banana, which increases the ethylene gas that triggers
ripening, will cause them to ripen faster yet. Cold storage, such as in the
refrigerator, will dramatically slow ripening, but can alter the flavor for the
worse.

Once ripe, you can keep 1/2 of it for a day or two in the refrigerator. The best way
to prevent oxidization from happening is to rub lemon juice over any exposed, cut
flesh, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Press & Seal (Glad? I think..), I've found,
is the best wrap for this. I've used it with no lemon at all when keeping just
overnight and it worked great.

For guacamole, sprinkle lime or lemon juice over the surface and wrap tightly.

It is best to use ripe avocados immediately, and the flavor is best when eaten at
room temperature.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote>
> Worcestershire. Interesting. I would have never thought of that in Guac.

Neither would the original creators of guac, I bet. But it's good!

> I'm going to have to try this now. Thanks, cyber!

You're welcome ... let me know what you think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:59:18 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>* Never in all my life have I seen cilantro in guacamole and ot sounds like
>a bad idea to me.

Huh??

All the guacomoles I have seen, at least here (New Mexico) and in
California, have cilantro in them. It just doesn't taste right, at
least to me, without it.

I use the recipe from Rick Bayless, and his certainly has cilantro in
it. I would trust his opinion...he is quite the authority on Mexican
food.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:59:18 +0200, "Giusi" >

>>* Never in all my life have I seen cilantro in guacamole and ot sounds like
>>a bad idea to me.

>Huh??

>All the guacomoles I have seen, at least here (New Mexico) and in
>California, have cilantro in them. It just doesn't taste right, at
>least to me, without it.

I would say it's not totally uncommon, but far fewer than half the
gucamoles I've run across include cilantro. The oldest
recipes in my collection never have it.

Rick Bayless is a relative young'un.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>* Never in all my life have I seen cilantro in guacamole and ot sounds
>>like
>>a bad idea to me.

> Huh??
>
> All the guacomoles I have seen, at least here (New Mexico) and in
> California, have cilantro in them. It just doesn't taste right, at
> least to me, without it.
>
> I use the recipe from Rick Bayless, and his certainly has cilantro in
> it. I would trust his opinion...he is quite the authority on Mexican
> food.
>
> Christine

salsa, pico di gallo, but not guacamole in my experience. My Texan friend
puts almost nothing in hers, but I don't like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote

> Avocados have a high oil content. Once cut, the oils will begin to go
> rancid. The triglycerides break down, and the taste suffers immensely.

Aha! Very informative.