Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Traditional recipes?

Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:

NB: beef mince = ground beef

http://www.food24.com/Food24/Recipe/0,,12327,00.html

Fruity bobotie

Ingredients
3 red onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 x 10 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
45 ml oil
15 ml turmeric
30 ml garam masala
10 ml chilli powder
5 ml ground coriander
1 kg beef mince
2 x 410 g cans tomatoes
a handful of fresh coriander
200 g dried apricots, chopped
100 g cashew nuts
4 thick slices brown bread, cut into small cubes
30 ml chutney
salt and pepper to taste
6 eggs
500 ml cream
4 bay leaves

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180 °C. In a large pan, heat oil and gently fry
onion, garlic, ginger and spices. Add the beef mince and brown. Add
tomatoes and fresh coriander. Add apricots, nuts, bread and chutney and
cook for three minutes. Add a little water if too thick. Season and scoop
the mince into an ovenproof dish. Lightly beat the eggs with the cream and
pop in the bay leaves. Pour over the mince until covered. Bake in the oven
for 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping has set and is slightly browned.

TIPS
Bobotie is traditionally served with yellow rice and raisins, chutneys and
tomato and onion sambal. Make a delicious sambal with diced mango,
cucumber, fresh coriander, chilli and a squeeze of lime juice. Make small,
individual boboties by preparing them in ramekins. You can use milk
instead of cream for the topping. Use fresh lemon leaves instead of fresh
bay leaves. Instead of beef mince, use lamb for a richer bobotie or
ostrich for one that is lower in fat.

Recipe From : FAIRLADY April 01, 2004

Anybody else have something that is traditional and/or typical to your
country/region that you are willing to share?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Do they really eat fish pie in S Africa?

Don't get me wrong I enjoy a bit of Haddock every now and then.

Creamy haddock pie

Recipe Type - Main

Main Ingredient - haddock

Ingredients
1.5kg haddock (skin removed)
50ml olive oil for frying
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
125ml fresh milk
10ml fresh parsley, chopped
30g all purpose flour
1 tub smoked salmon cream cheese
125ml fresh cream (optional)

Method
Fry onions in oil until transparent and then add crushed garlic cloves.
Add flour and stir. Add milk bit by bit and stir. Add haddock to the pan
and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes and add the remaining ingredients. Layer
a baking dish with your favourite dough and bake the pie in the oven.

Submitted by - Elton Gordon

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:

Is that pronounced "bo-bo-tee" ? Or "bo-bot-tee" ? or "bobo-tie"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:10:59 -0400, Goomba wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:

> Is that pronounced "bo-bo-tee" ? Or "bo-bot-tee" ? or "bobo-tie"?

ba-boer-tie (sort of) <grin>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:24:03 +0000, hahabogus wrote:

> Do they really eat fish pie in S Africa?

Yes

> Don't get me wrong I enjoy a bit of Haddock every now and then.

Oak smoked Haddock is quite popular here. It's available (frozen) in most
supermarkets, as is hake.

Kingklip is another favorite - it's a firm white fish, bit like cod but
not as 'fishy', IMHO.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 18, 9:06*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:
> [snip]

Traditional or typical to country/region, or maybe family? Here's the
simplest kind of southern China comfort food:

Lop Cheong Rice Pot

4 links lop cheong (aka Chinese sausage)
2 cups rice

Start rice in a pot. When the water has boiled, steam holes have
appeared, and the water level is at the level of the top surface of
the rice, lay the lop cheong on top. Cover tightly, turn the heat to
its lowest setting and cook for about 17 minutes. Leave covered,
remove from heat and let sit for about 10 minutes. Eat. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:43:22 -0700, aem wrote:

> On Jun 18, 9:06*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:
>> [snip]

> Traditional or typical to country/region, or maybe family?

All of the above...<g>

> Here's the
> simplest kind of southern China comfort food:
>
> Lop Cheong Rice Pot
>
> 4 links lop cheong (aka Chinese sausage)

As a boerewors (type of spicy sausage) lover I just had to google this to
see what goes into it. Looks like it is a type of pork sausage. Sounds
good to me... Have you made your own? If so, I would very much like to see
'your' recipe.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in news:ACc6k.29811$8k.18518
@newsfe18.ams2:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:24:03 +0000, hahabogus wrote:
>>>

>> Do they really eat fish pie in S Africa?

> Yes
>>
>> Don't get me wrong I enjoy a bit of Haddock every now and then.

> Oak smoked Haddock is quite popular here. It's available (frozen) in

most
> supermarkets, as is hake.
>
> Kingklip is another favorite - it's a firm white fish, bit like cod but
> not as 'fishy', IMHO.

I is just that I still have the occassional nightmare of the salmon pie
my newly married wife expected me to eat.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:
>
> NB: beef mince = ground beef
>
> http://www.food24.com/Food24/Recipe/0,,12327,00.html
>
> Fruity bobotie
>
> Ingredients
> 3 red onions, chopped
> 4 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 x 10 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
> 45 ml oil
> 15 ml turmeric
> 30 ml garam masala
> 10 ml chilli powder
> 5 ml ground coriander
> 1 kg beef mince
> 2 x 410 g cans tomatoes
> a handful of fresh coriander
> 200 g dried apricots, chopped
> 100 g cashew nuts
> 4 thick slices brown bread, cut into small cubes
> 30 ml chutney
> salt and pepper to taste
> 6 eggs
> 500 ml cream
> 4 bay leaves
>
> Method:
> Preheat the oven to 180 °C. In a large pan, heat oil and gently fry
> onion, garlic, ginger and spices. Add the beef mince and brown. Add
> tomatoes and fresh coriander. Add apricots, nuts, bread and chutney and
> cook for three minutes. Add a little water if too thick. Season and scoop
> the mince into an ovenproof dish. Lightly beat the eggs with the cream and
> pop in the bay leaves. Pour over the mince until covered. Bake in the oven
> for 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping has set and is slightly browned.
>
> TIPS
> Bobotie is traditionally served with yellow rice and raisins, chutneys and
> tomato and onion sambal. Make a delicious sambal with diced mango,
> cucumber, fresh coriander, chilli and a squeeze of lime juice. Make small,
> individual boboties by preparing them in ramekins. You can use milk
> instead of cream for the topping. Use fresh lemon leaves instead of fresh
> bay leaves. Instead of beef mince, use lamb for a richer bobotie or
> ostrich for one that is lower in fat.
>
> Recipe From : FAIRLADY April 01, 2004
>
> Anybody else have something that is traditional and/or typical to your
> country/region that you are willing to share?

Cathy,
OK, this looks great. I need to make this soon.

Any traditional SA vegetarian main course recipes you are aware of? We have
friends from SA coming for dinner in two weeks and I always try to find an
interesting veggie dish for them. A traditional SA dish would really make a
hit with them.

Thanks,
Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
On Jun 18, 9:06 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:
> [snip]

Traditional or typical to country/region, or maybe family? Here's the
simplest kind of southern China comfort food:

Lop Cheong Rice Pot

4 links lop cheong (aka Chinese sausage)
2 cups rice

Start rice in a pot. When the water has boiled, steam holes have
appeared, and the water level is at the level of the top surface of
the rice, lay the lop cheong on top. Cover tightly, turn the heat to
its lowest setting and cook for about 17 minutes. Leave covered,
remove from heat and let sit for about 10 minutes. Eat. -aem

One of my favorite sausages. I've used lop cheong in steamed buns and stir
fry, and once in place of chorizo making clams steamed in white wine. Though
a much sweeter sausage, it was darned good.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:24:03 +0000, hahabogus wrote:
>>>>

>>> Do they really eat fish pie in S Africa?

>> Yes
>>>
>>> Don't get me wrong I enjoy a bit of Haddock every now and then.

>> Oak smoked Haddock is quite popular here. It's available (frozen) in

>most
>> supermarkets, as is hake.
>>
>> Kingklip is another favorite - it's a firm white fish, bit like cod but
>> not as 'fishy', IMHO.
>>

>I is just that I still have the occassional nightmare of the salmon pie
>my newly married wife expected me to eat.

There is a Russian dish, koulebiaka, or the French coulibiac, that is
a long sort of salmon pie. Quite a nice dish, actually.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:20:25 -0400, "Zeppo" >
wrote:

>Any traditional SA vegetarian main course recipes you are aware of? We have
>friends from SA coming for dinner in two weeks and I always try to find an
>interesting veggie dish for them. A traditional SA dish would really make a
>hit with them.
>
>Thanks,
>Jon

I know you want to honor your friends, but in my experience folks from
abroad often would rather try the dishes of the country they are
visiting. They can get the food of their own country where they
live...how about giving them some traditional food of our country?
Assuming you are from the US, of course..

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 12:20*pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message

> > Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:

> > NB: beef mince = ground beef

> >http://www.food24.com/Food24/Recipe/0,,12327,00.html

> > Fruity bobotie

> > Ingredients
> > 3 red onions, chopped
> > 4 cloves garlic, minced
> > 1 x 10 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
> > 45 ml oil
> > 15 ml turmeric
> > 30 ml garam masala
> > 10 ml chilli powder
> > 5 ml ground coriander
> > 1 kg beef mince
> > 2 x 410 g cans tomatoes
> > a handful of fresh coriander
> > 200 g dried apricots, chopped
> > 100 g cashew nuts
> > 4 thick slices brown bread, cut into small cubes
> > 30 ml chutney
> > salt and pepper to taste
> > 6 eggs
> > 500 ml cream
> > 4 bay leaves

> > Method:
> > Preheat the oven to 180 °C. In a large pan, heat oil and gently fry
> > onion, garlic, ginger and spices. Add the beef mince and brown. Add
> > tomatoes and fresh coriander. Add apricots, nuts, bread and chutney and
> > cook for three minutes. Add a little water if too thick. Season and scoop
> > the mince into an ovenproof dish. Lightly beat the eggs with the cream and
> > pop in the bay leaves. Pour over the mince until covered. Bake in the oven
> > for 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping has set and is slightly browned.

> > TIPS
> > Bobotie is traditionally served with yellow rice and raisins, chutneys and
> > tomato and onion sambal. Make a delicious sambal with diced mango,
> > cucumber, fresh coriander, chilli and a squeeze of lime juice. Make small,
> > individual boboties by preparing them in ramekins. You can use milk
> > instead of cream for the topping. Use fresh lemon leaves instead of fresh
> > bay leaves. Instead of beef mince, use lamb for a richer bobotie or
> > ostrich for one that is lower in fat.

> > Recipe From : FAIRLADY April 01, 2004

> > Anybody else have something that is traditional and/or typical to your
> > country/region that you are willing to share?

> Cathy,
> OK, this looks great. I need to make this soon.
>
> Any traditional SA vegetarian main course recipes you are aware of? We have
> friends from SA coming for dinner in two weeks and I always try to find an
> interesting veggie dish for them. A traditional SA dish would really make a
> hit with them.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon- Hide quoted text -

I agree with Christine's post. When we had family from Italy visit us,
we made a turkey dinner, just like Thanksgiving- they loved it!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:20:25 -0400, Zeppo wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:

> Cathy,
> OK, this looks great. I need to make this soon.

I hope you enjoy it...

> Any traditional SA vegetarian main course recipes you are aware of? We
> have friends from SA coming for dinner in two weeks and I always try to
> find an interesting veggie dish for them. A traditional SA dish would
> really make a hit with them.

We're rather big 'meat eaters' in this family, but here's a local recipe
site I like a lot. They have a section with some nice 'veggie dishes'.
(Don't ask me why they called it "Funky Munky" <grin> but I've tried quite
a few of the recipes and they've all been good...) BTW, I hope your
friends can eat eggs and/or cheese, because some recipes have one or the
other (or both).

http://funkymunky.co.za/veg.html

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:33:27 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>I agree with Christine's post. When we had family from Italy visit us,
>we made a turkey dinner, just like Thanksgiving- they loved it!!

When my Australian friend visited me a few weeks ago, I gave her pot
roast. She had never, ever had it. Yes, she eats a lot of beef in
Australia, but it was usually a rib roast, or steaks. Never, ever pot
roast...she was asking me what it was.

She adored the pot roast.

I couldn't really give her any New Mexican food, since she didn't like
spicy food. However, we ate at the restaurant at the Indian Pueblo
Cultural Center here in ABQ, and she had Indian Fry Bread... She
loved that too.. A few days later, I introduced her to
sopapillas...and again, she was in love with them.

I was going to give her the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, as it is
so very American, but we ran out of time....too much sightseeing, etc.
Another reason I don't like to give folks the food of their own
country is that I probably can't do it even half as well as they can
get at home... Plus..travel is about new experiences...at least for
me it is.

Christine, who ate Rocky Mountain Oysters in Colorado

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:20:25 -0400, "Zeppo" >
> wrote:
>

>> Any traditional SA vegetarian main course recipes you are aware of? We have
>> friends from SA coming for dinner in two weeks and I always try to find an
>> interesting veggie dish for them. A traditional SA dish would really make a
>> hit with them.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jon

> I know you want to honor your friends, but in my experience folks from
> abroad often would rather try the dishes of the country they are
> visiting. They can get the food of their own country where they
> live...how about giving them some traditional food of our country?
> Assuming you are from the US, of course..
>
> Christine

I agree. I would not dream of making a Moroccan dish for my inlaws when
they visit. I host the annual Thanksgiving day dinner and make all the
trimmings and if they are over for some other occasion I make things
like lasagna or enchiladas - completely different from Moroccan food. I
once made steak tips, roasted potatoes and dilled baby carrots for my
BIL and SIL. The SIL, who is an amazing cook said "how do you make this"?

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Christine, who ate Rocky Mountain Oysters in Colorado

You are definitely a brave soul- how were they- chewy?

>Merry, who won't touch ANY oysters, Pacific or Rocky Mountain!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:03:57 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>> Christine, who ate Rocky Mountain Oysters in Colorado

>You are definitely a brave soul- how were they- chewy?
>
>>Merry, who won't touch ANY oysters, Pacific or Rocky Mountain!!

I only had a bite or so..but they were pretty good. A bit chewy..but
the taste/texture was not offputting by any means. They were breaded
heavily..so I could have been eating a chicken cutlet for all I
knew...LOL.

They actually were sort of bland....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 3:13*pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> ChattyCathy > wrote in news:ACc6k.29811$8k.18518
> @newsfe18.ams2:
>

> > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:24:03 +0000, hahabogus wrote:

> >> Do they really eat fish pie in S Africa?

> > Yes

> >> Don't get me wrong I enjoy a bit of Haddock every now and then.

> > Oak smoked Haddock is quite popular here. It's available (frozen) in

> most
> > supermarkets, as is hake.

> > Kingklip is another favorite - it's a firm white fish, bit like cod but
> > not as 'fishy', IMHO.

> I is just that I still have the occassional nightmare of the salmon pie
> my newly married wife expected me to eat.

It's just before dinner time and now I'm shuddering. Luckily I have
not seen a salmon pie in years.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 18, 12:09*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> As a boerewors (type of spicy sausage) lover I just had to google this to
> see what goes into it. Looks like it is a type of pork sausage. Sounds
> good to me... Have you made your own? If so, I would very much like to see
> 'your' recipe.

It's fully flavored but not particularly spicy. Usually pork,
occasionally you can find something with the same name that's duck.
Never tried to make it at home -- it's a get at the Chinese deli kind
of thing. Or Asian market, nowadays. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote:

> There is a Russian dish, koulebiaka, or the French coulibiac, that is
> a long sort of salmon pie. Quite a nice dish, actually.

Indeed, it can be... only it is not specifically a salmon or even just a
fish pie. It can have any filling, which is supposed to be complex,
with the layers sometimes separated by thin blinchiki/crêpes. In fact,
it is this complex filling that makes the pie a kulyebyaka. Sometimes,
a kulyebyaka is rectangular, with various fillings in each of its
corners. Gogol, unmatched in his food descriptions, has a character in
Dead Souls order such a kulyebyaka. Here is a not-so-good translation
by Darra Goldstein.

"And bake us a four-cornered fish pie," he said, sucking the air through
his teeth and inhaling deeply. "In one corner I want you to put the
sturgeon cheeks and the gristle cooked soft, in another throw in some
buckwheat, and then some mushrooms and onions, and some sweet milt, and
the brains, and whatever else, you know the sort of thing. And make
sure that on the one side it's - you know - a nice golden brown, but not
so much on the other side. And the pastry - make sure it's baked
through, till it just crumbles away, so that the juices soak right
through, do you see, so that you don't even feel it in your mouth - so
it just melts like snow." As he said all this, Petukh kept smacking and
sucking his lips.

The "fish-pie" is actually "kulyebyaka" in the original, and the
ridiculous "gristle" is "viziga", dried spinal chord of the sturgeon.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:13:23 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>>ChattyCathy > wrote in news:ACc6k.29811

$8k.18518
:

>>> Yes

>>> Oak smoked Haddock is quite popular here. It's available (frozen) in

>>most
>>> supermarkets, as is hake.
>>>
>>> Kingklip is another favorite - it's a firm white fish, bit like cod

but
>>> not as 'fishy', IMHO.
>>>

>>I is just that I still have the occassional nightmare of the salmon pie
>>my newly married wife expected me to eat.

> There is a Russian dish, koulebiaka, or the French coulibiac, that is
> a long sort of salmon pie. Quite a nice dish, actually.
>
> Boron

I'm am quite sure that normally fish pie is a good thing, a wholesome
thing, a thing like noodle salad at the lake or uncle Jake's
overbite...It is just, well you've never met the Ex....on a good day she
burnt water. I figure after another year of therapy or so I'll be able to
look at boiling water without needing to have a fire extinguisher at
hand, gasp in wonder at frozen Ice Cream or stop putting clark bars in
public swimming pools.

(Cue over-dramatic music) And she made me...TUM TUM TUM the pie that
contained a fish-like substance floating in a greasy mess of burnt peas,
clumps of flour and spinach......I had to make bullets melted down the
silver Madonna to kill it as it was totally unflushable. And just thank
god there wasn't a full moon that night. Thus began the 28 year saga of
my married life...Me, my new wife and the pie from hell TUM TUM TUM.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

:

>>>most

>but
>>>>

>>>I is just that I still have the occassional nightmare of the salmon pie
>>>my newly married wife expected me to eat.

>> There is a Russian dish, koulebiaka, or the French coulibiac, that is
>> a long sort of salmon pie. Quite a nice dish, actually.
>>
>> Boron
>>

>I'm am quite sure that normally fish pie is a good thing, a wholesome
>thing, a thing like noodle salad at the lake or uncle Jake's
>overbite...It is just, well you've never met the Ex....on a good day she
>burnt water. I figure after another year of therapy or so I'll be able to
>look at boiling water without needing to have a fire extinguisher at
>hand, gasp in wonder at frozen Ice Cream or stop putting clark bars in
>public swimming pools.
>
>(Cue over-dramatic music) And she made me...TUM TUM TUM the pie that
>contained a fish-like substance floating in a greasy mess of burnt peas,
>clumps of flour and spinach......I had to make bullets melted down the
>silver Madonna to kill it as it was totally unflushable. And just thank
>god there wasn't a full moon that night. Thus began the 28 year saga of
>my married life...Me, my new wife and the pie from hell TUM TUM TUM.

As Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind."

boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:32:59 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>Just bought another pack of lop (or lap) cheong this very day! It is a
>pork sausage, with variations such as liver added. Saw a version in the
>shop that contained pork and chicken (heresy LOL).
>

>Steam, deep-fry or bake. Serve with fresh garlic slivers.
>(It's really good stir-fried with broccoli!)

Hmm...I will have to try this. I was just in the Asian market today
myself...looks like I will have to go back and get some of this. I
already have the broccoli.

Christine, gearing up to fix some Indian food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:43:22 -0700, aem wrote:
>
> > On Jun 18, 9:06 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> >> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:
> >> [snip]

> > Traditional or typical to country/region, or maybe family?

> All of the above...<g>
>
> > Here's the
> > simplest kind of southern China comfort food:
> >
> > Lop Cheong Rice Pot
> >
> > 4 links lop cheong (aka Chinese sausage)

> As a boerewors (type of spicy sausage) lover I just had to google this to
> see what goes into it. Looks like it is a type of pork sausage. Sounds
> good to me... Have you made your own? If so, I would very much like to see
> 'your' recipe.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Just bought another pack of lop (or lap) cheong this very day! It is a
pork sausage, with variations such as liver added. Saw a version in the
shop that contained pork and chicken (heresy LOL).

Have a recipe but have never made them:

Tasty Chinese Sausage (from 'Chinese Snacks' Wei Chuan publishing)

6 1/2 lbs fresh ham
20 feet sausage casing

2 1/2 Tbs salt
2 1/2 Tbs MSG
3/4 C sugar
1 tsp niter or saltpeter (optional)
1/2 C scotch (or grain alcohol...this is actually in the commercial ones
I buy)
1 tsp 5-spice powder

Remove skin from pork; separate fat and lean meat. Cut fat into 1/8 inch
slices and lean meat into 1/3 inch slices. Mix well with spices etc and
let soak 24 hours.

Soak sausage casing until soft, rinse and drain. Tie off one end. Fill
casing and distribute meat evenly. Use a needle to poke holes into
sausage to allow air out. Tie off every 4 inches; rinse in warm water
and drain. Hang in an airy place for 3 days to dry.

Steam, deep-fry or bake. Serve with fresh garlic slivers.
(It's really good stir-fried with broccoli!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:
>
> NB: beef mince = ground beef
>
> http://www.food24.com/Food24/Recipe/0,,12327,00.html

> Anybody else have something that is traditional and/or typical to your
> country/region that you are willing to share?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Got loads as I am a fan of 'traditional' foods.
Won't give you any Dutch recipes, as you have access to that anyway

So how about something New Mexican:

Cocido de Garbanza (Chickpea stew from: 'Historic Cookery')

1 cup dried chickpeas (soaked overnight and rinsed)
6 cups water
1 small sliced onion
1 clove chopped garlic (or more to taste)
1 cup chopped ham
1 cup Spanish sausage (Spanish chorizo or equivalent)
1 tsp oregano (preferably Mexican...use less of Mediterranean type)
salt and pepper to taste

Cook chickpeas in water until half done; add onion, garlic, ham and
sausage. Cook until beans are tender. Add oregano, salt and pepper;
simmer over low fire until soup is thick. A chile pepper can be added
for more seasoning.

Buen provecho!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:
>
> NB: beef mince = ground beef
>
> http://www.food24.com/Food24/Recipe/0,,12327,00.html
>
> Fruity bobotie

<recipe snipped>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Saratoga Potatoes

From the Standard Cookbook By Marion Lockhart copyright 1925

In cold salted water soak potatoes that have been sliced very fine. After
Draining between cloths until dry, put a few at a time in hot deep fat.
When they have cooked crisp and delicate brown, they should be drained on
absorbent paper, then sprinkle with salt before serving.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in
:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:
>>
>> NB: beef mince = ground beef
>>
>> http://www.food24.com/Food24/Recipe/0,,12327,00.html
>>
>> Fruity bobotie

> <recipe snipped>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy
>>
>> Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

> Saratoga Potatoes
>
> From the Standard Cookbook By Marion Lockhart copyright 1925
>
> In cold salted water soak potatoes that have been sliced very fine.
> After Draining between cloths until dry, put a few at a time in hot
> deep fat. When they have cooked crisp and delicate brown, they should
> be drained on absorbent paper, then sprinkle with salt before serving.

Dollar Fries?

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> The "fish-pie" is actually "kulyebyaka" in the original, and the
> ridiculous "gristle" is "viziga", dried spinal chord of the sturgeon.
>
> Victor

Since I have a kid who retches at the WORD gristle, I can only imagine that
the translator figured what would happen if she used "dried spinal chord of
the sturgeon" among peoples who do not savor such things. Like me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Saratoga Potatoes
>
> From the Standard Cookbook By Marion Lockhart copyright 1925
>
> In cold salted water soak potatoes that have been sliced very fine. After
> Draining between cloths until dry, put a few at a time in hot deep fat.
> When they have cooked crisp and delicate brown, they should be drained on
> absorbent paper, then sprinkle with salt before serving.
> --
> Old Scoundrel

You are much, much, much older than I but not better taught history. That
is the original recipe for potato chips/crisps!

--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Dimitri" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Saratoga Potatoes
>>
>> From the Standard Cookbook By Marion Lockhart copyright 1925
>>
>> In cold salted water soak potatoes that have been sliced very fine. After
>> Draining between cloths until dry, put a few at a time in hot deep fat.
>> When they have cooked crisp and delicate brown, they should be drained on
>> absorbent paper, then sprinkle with salt before serving.
>> --
>> Old Scoundrel

> You are much, much, much older than I but not better taught history. That
> is the original recipe for potato chips/crisps!

I dunno that that is THE original recipe, but that does seem to be
what the chips were originally called.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> "Dimitri" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>>> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:
>>>
>>> NB: beef mince = ground beef
>>>
>>> http://www.food24.com/Food24/Recipe/0,,12327,00.html
>>>
>>> Fruity bobotie

>> <recipe snipped>
>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> Chatty Cathy
>>>
>>> Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

>> Saratoga Potatoes
>>
>> From the Standard Cookbook By Marion Lockhart copyright 1925
>>
>> In cold salted water soak potatoes that have been sliced very fine.
>> After Draining between cloths until dry, put a few at a time in hot
>> deep fat. When they have cooked crisp and delicate brown, they should
>> be drained on absorbent paper, then sprinkle with salt before serving.
>>

> Dollar Fries?
>
> --
>
> The house of the burning beet-Alan

Ready?

Here it comes,.

Potato Chips!

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/in...otatochips.htm

AT A GLANCE:
In the summer of 1853, Native American George Crum was employed as a chef at
an elegant resort in Saratoga Springs, New York. One dinner guest found
Crum's French fries too thick for his liking and rejected the order. Crum
decided to rile the guest by producing fries too thin and crisp to skewer
with a fork. The plan backfired. The guest was ecstatic over the browned,
paper-thin potatoes, and other diners began requesting Crum's potato
chipsTHE STORY
Invention:Potato Chips in 1853

Definition:noun / po·ta·to chips
Function:Snack food made of a thin slice of white potato that has been
cooked until crisp and then usually salted. Also known as Saratoga Chips or
potato crisps.
Patent:Never patented.

Inventor:George Crum (a.k.a. George Speck*)

Criteria:First to invent.
Birth:1822 Saratoga Lake, New York
Death:1914 Saratoga Lake, New York
Nationality:Narive American

Milestones:
1853 George Crum invents the Saratoga Chip, a thin French fry, now known as
the potato chip
1960 Crum opened his own restaurant, featuring potato chips in a basket
placed on every table..
1895 William Tappendon of Cleveland, Ohio begins selling potato chips as a
food in grocery stores
1908 Leominster Potato Chip Co., Leominster, MA (later changed the name to
Tri-Sum)
1910 Mikesell's Potato Chips, Dayton, Ohio.
1910 George Dentler, Houston, Texas.
1913 Dan Dee Pretzel and Potato Chip Company, Cleveland, Ohio.
1918 Num Num, Cleveland, Ohio
1919 Blue Bell - Illinois
1921 Wise Delicatessen Company, Berwick, Pennsylvania
1921 Utz - Hanover, Pennsylvania. started as the Hanover Home Brand Potato
Chips
1921 Magic Food Co, later Golden Flake*, Birmingham, Alabama.
1924 Moore's, Bristol, Virginia.
1926 Scudder's - Monterey Park, California
1930 Better Made - Detroit, Michigan
1932 Lay's - founded by Herman Lay of Nashville, Tennessee
potato chips, potato chip, saratoga chip, potato crisps, george crum, george
speck, native american, better made, wise, utz, frito-lay, invention,
history, inventor of, history of, who invented, invention of, fascinating
facts.

The Story
As a world food, potatoes are second in human consumption only to rice. And
as thin, salted, crisp chips, they are America's favorite snack food. Potato
chips originated in New England as one man's variation on the French-fried
potato, and their production was the result not of a sudden stroke of
culinary invention but of a fit of pique.
In the summer of 1853, Native American George Crum was employed as a chef at
an elegant resort in Saratoga Springs, New York. On Moon Lake Lodge's
restaurant menu were French-fried potatoes, prepared by Crum in the
standard, thick-cut French style that was popularized in 1700s France and
enjoyed by Thomas Jefferson as ambassador to that country. Ever since
Jefferson brought the recipe to America and served French fries to guests at
Monticello, the dish was popular and serious dinner fare.
At Moon Lake Lodge, one dinner guest found chef Crum's French fries too
thick for his liking and rejected the order. Crum cut and fried a thinner
batch, but these, too, met with disapproval. Exasperated, Crum decided to
rile the guest by producing French fries too thin and crisp to skewer with a
fork. The plan backfired. The guest was ecstatic over the browned,
paper-thin potatoes, and other diners requested Crum's potato chips, which
began to appear on the menu as Saratoga Chips, a house specialty.
In 1860 George opened his own restaurant in a building on Malta Avenue near
Saratoga Lake, and within a few years was catering to wealthy clients
including William Vanderbilt, Cornelius Vanderbilt, Jay Gould, and Henry
Hilton. His restaurant closed around 1890 and he died in 1914 at the age of
92.
The idea of making them as a food item for sale in grocery stores came to
many people at around the same time, but perhaps the first was William
Tappendon of Cleveland, OH, in 1895. He began making chips in his kitchen
and delivering to neighborhood stores but later converted a barn in the rear
of his house into "one of the first potato chip factories" in the country.
At that time, potatoes were tediously peeled and sliced by hand. It was the
invention of the mechanical potato peeler in the 1920s that paved the way
for potato chips to soar from a small specialty item to a top-selling snack
food. For several decades after their creation, potato chips were largely a
Northern dinner dish.
In 1921, Bill and Sallie Utz started the Hanover Home Brand Potato Chips in
Hanover, Pennsylvania. Salie Utz used her knowledge of good Pennsylvania
Dutch cooking to make the chips in a small summer house behind their home.
The hand-operated equipment Salie used made about fifty pounds of potato
chips per hour. While Salie stayed home making chips, Bill delivered them to
"mom and pop" grocery stores and farmer's markets in the Hanover, PA and
Baltimore, MD area.
Out in Monterey Park, California the Scudders company started making potato
chips in 1926. Laura Scudder is credited with developing the wax paper bag
for potato chips which made a wider distribution possible because of its
preserving properties. Prior to this bag potato chips were dispensed in
bulk from barrels or glass display cases.
In 1932, Herman Lay founded Lay's in Nashville, Tenn., which distributed
potato chips from a factory in Atlanta, Ga. Herman Lay, a traveling salesman
in the South, helped popularize the food from Atlanta to Tennessee. Lay
peddled potato chips to Southern grocers out of the trunk of his car,
building a business and a name that would become synonymous with the thin,
salty snack. Lay's potato chips became the first successfully marketed
national brand.
The industry that George Crum launched in 1853 continues to grow and
prosper. Potato chips have become America's favorite snack. U.S. retail
sales of potato chip are over $6 billion a year. In 2003 the U.S. potato
chip industry employed more than 65,000 people.
*George Speck was born to Abraham and Catherine Speck. George also used the
name Crum, as his father did while working as a jockey.
TO LEARN MORE

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:
>
> NB: beef mince = ground beef
>
> http://www.food24.com/Food24/Recipe/0,,12327,00.html
>
> Fruity bobotie
>
> Ingredients
> 3 red onions, chopped
> 4 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 x 10 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
> 45 ml oil
> 15 ml turmeric
> 30 ml garam masala
> 10 ml chilli powder
> 5 ml ground coriander
> 1 kg beef mince
> 2 x 410 g cans tomatoes
> a handful of fresh coriander
> 200 g dried apricots, chopped
> 100 g cashew nuts
> 4 thick slices brown bread, cut into small cubes
> 30 ml chutney
> salt and pepper to taste
> 6 eggs
> 500 ml cream
> 4 bay leaves
>
> Method:
> Preheat the oven to 180 °C. In a large pan, heat oil and gently fry
> onion, garlic, ginger and spices. Add the beef mince and brown. Add
> tomatoes and fresh coriander. Add apricots, nuts, bread and chutney and
> cook for three minutes. Add a little water if too thick. Season and scoop
> the mince into an ovenproof dish. Lightly beat the eggs with the cream and
> pop in the bay leaves. Pour over the mince until covered. Bake in the oven
> for 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping has set and is slightly browned.
>
> TIPS
> Bobotie is traditionally served with yellow rice and raisins, chutneys and
> tomato and onion sambal. Make a delicious sambal with diced mango,
> cucumber, fresh coriander, chilli and a squeeze of lime juice. Make small,
> individual boboties by preparing them in ramekins. You can use milk
> instead of cream for the topping. Use fresh lemon leaves instead of fresh
> bay leaves. Instead of beef mince, use lamb for a richer bobotie or
> ostrich for one that is lower in fat.
>
> Recipe From : FAIRLADY April 01, 2004
>
> Anybody else have something that is traditional and/or typical to your
> country/region that you are willing to share?

Mmmm! I love bobotie. I have a great recipe I've been
making for years. I might be willing to give yours a
try though. The cashews appeal to me. I love anything
with cashews or pistachios! My recipe is similar but
uses a mixture of beef and lamb. Okay, now you've made
me hungry for bobotie! Damn!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 1:02*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> [...]

> In 1932, Herman Lay founded Lay's in Nashville, Tenn., which distributed
> potato chips from a factory in Atlanta, Ga. Herman Lay, a traveling salesman
> in the South, helped popularize the food from Atlanta to Tennessee. Lay
> peddled potato chips to Southern grocers out of the trunk of his car,
> building a business and a name that would become synonymous with the thin,
> salty snack. Lay's potato chips became the first successfully marketed
> national brand.
> The industry that George Crum launched in 1853 continues to grow and
> prosper. Potato chips have become America's favorite snack. U.S. retail
> sales of potato chip are over $6 billion a year. *In 2003 the U.S. potato
> chip industry employed more than 65,000 people.
> *George Speck was born to Abraham and Catherine Speck. George also used the
> name Crum, as his father did while working as a jockey.

Well that certainly buried that thread.
lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in message

<snip>

Well that certainly buried that thread.
lynn in Fargo

Not really

:-0

More traditions?

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:32:59 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >Just bought another pack of lop (or lap) cheong this very day! It is a
> >pork sausage, with variations such as liver added. Saw a version in the
> >shop that contained pork and chicken (heresy LOL).
> >

> >Steam, deep-fry or bake. Serve with fresh garlic slivers.
> >(It's really good stir-fried with broccoli!)

> Hmm...I will have to try this. I was just in the Asian market today
> myself...looks like I will have to go back and get some of this. I
> already have the broccoli.
>
> Christine, gearing up to fix some Indian food.

Just watch out for the pork and chicken ones (that was at 99 Banh). Same
mfg and nearly identical packaging. The best ones used to come from
Canada but haven't seen them lately.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> Giusi wrote:
> > "Dimitri" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >> Saratoga Potatoes
> >>
> >> From the Standard Cookbook By Marion Lockhart copyright 1925
> >>
> >> In cold salted water soak potatoes that have been sliced very fine. After
> >> Draining between cloths until dry, put a few at a time in hot deep fat.
> >> When they have cooked crisp and delicate brown, they should be drained on
> >> absorbent paper, then sprinkle with salt before serving.
> >> --
> >> Old Scoundrel

> > You are much, much, much older than I but not better taught history. That
> > is the original recipe for potato chips/crisps!
> >

> I dunno that that is THE original recipe, but that does seem to be
> what the chips were originally called.

Also called 'game chips' in the UK; served with game...obviously.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Giusi wrote:

>>> You are much, much, much older than I but not better taught history. That
>>> is the original recipe for potato chips/crisps!
>>>

>> I dunno that that is THE original recipe, but that does seem to be
>> what the chips were originally called.
>>

> Also called 'game chips' in the UK; served with game...obviously.

Hmmm. Got an OED handy? Wonder when the first occurrence of that
name was?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

> "Victor Sack" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > The "fish-pie" is actually "kulyebyaka" in the original, and the
> > ridiculous "gristle" is "viziga", dried spinal chord of the sturgeon.

> Since I have a kid who retches at the WORD gristle, I can only imagine that
> the translator figured what would happen if she used "dried spinal chord of
> the sturgeon"

She could have used "sturgeon chord" or "notochord". If people do not
know what it is, it is only par for the course. At present, not all
that many people in Russia still know what viziga is, either.

> among peoples who do not savor such things. Like me.

Have you tried it, then? It is virtually unobtainable nowadays, unless
you are willing to travel to Russia and have connections there. Its
taste is not very strong, but all of its own and unlike any other. It
also requires a long and careful preparation, especially if it is dried,
as it is usually is. It is not among any some "such things", as it is
unique. Here is a Web site (in Russian) of a Russian enthusiast
describing a making of multi-layered kulyebyaka with, among other
things, viziga, fresh in his case.
http://www.syrnikov.ru/Mycookery/kulebyakasvizigoy.html>
There is a photo of him holding whole fresh viziga aloft. The viziga
came from a 2.5-metre-long (8.2-feet) beluga. The kulyebyaka filling
was composed of the following layers: chopped boiled eggs, morels fried
with onions and then filled with pats of butter, a separating
blinchik/crêpe, a layer of rice with viziga, slices of Baltic salmon,
and another layer of rice.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message
> "Dimitri" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Saratoga Potatoes
>>
>> From the Standard Cookbook By Marion Lockhart copyright 1925
>>
>> In cold salted water soak potatoes that have been sliced very fine.
>> After Draining between cloths until dry, put a few at a time in hot deep
>> fat. When they have cooked crisp and delicate brown, they should be
>> drained on absorbent paper, then sprinkle with salt before serving.
>> --
>> Old Scoundrel

> You are much, much, much older than I but not better taught history. That
> is the original recipe for potato chips/crisps!
>

> --
> http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Of course. this was way before commercial packaging.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)