Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fast Food Restaurants - Was Favorite Restaurant

How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? I have gotten to the
point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to grab
something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones around me are
McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits well on my stomach.
If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end up at the WaWa (local
convenience store) and get them to make me a hoagie - costs less, tastes
better, and doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Their hoagies are vastly
superior to Subway (also local)
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote in message
> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? [..]

Guilty as charged.

We've got the regular cons (McD, JitB, BK, CJr, W) but I
universally avoid them. They group don't understand the simple,
"No onions" I tag onto my order. This makes hitting the several
dozen other fast food choices much easier.

Those that see my money regularly:

Amato's -- San Jose
Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches done RIGHT with an order of
properly cooked fries or onion rings washed down with a
Mountain Dew can't be beat.

Dos Hermanos -- San Jose/Saratoga
Al Pastor burrito logs; woof!

La Bamba -- Mountain View
The original burrito log builders. BEST damned burritos in the
state.

Halu Halu -- San Jose
Japanese noodle house!

Foodtopia -- San Jose/Saratoga
Holy Crow! Majestically (and magically) vertically piled fried
rice for US$3.99!

There are many more choices for sandwiches without having to
resort to Togo's, Subway, or Quiznos, either.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Virginia Tadrzynski" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? I have gotten
>> to the point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to
>> grab something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones
>> around me are McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits
>> well on my stomach. If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end
>> up at the WaWa (local convenience store) and get them to make me a
>> hoagie - costs less, tastes better, and doesn't make a nuisance of
>> itself. Their hoagies are vastly superior to Subway (also local)

> I avoid fast food but there have been times I've had to stop at them.
> Usually when traveling. I certainly don't make a point of going to them
> if I can avoid them. Except White Castle. I love them and crave them
> maybe 2x a year. Then I seek them out. I used to love McDonald's french
> fries but I can't stand them now. I've never had convenience store food.
> Those hot dogs rolling around on those spits for hours at a time turn me
> off.
>
> I don't mind Subway now and then. Are they considered fast food? I
> suppose so. They sure as hell don't qualify as deli food. Out of all of
> them, if I have to choose, I'll choose Burger King or I'll get a salad
> from McDonald's. This does not include my beloved White Castle's.
>
> Michael
>

> --
> "I eat vegetarians for breakfast"
> ~unknown but seen on a bumper sticker
>
> To email - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

WaWa, while a convenience store, they actually have a deli and a prep area
where you can order sandwiches made to your specification, and they actually
have the hot dogs in the back and make them for you, no little rolling
device.....WaWa, like Turkey Hill, started out as a front store for two big
dairies in Pennsylvania.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski said...

> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? I have gotten to
> the point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to grab
> something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones around me
> are McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits well on my
> stomach. If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end up at the
> WaWa (local convenience store) and get them to make me a hoagie - costs
> less, tastes better, and doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Their
> hoagies are vastly superior to Subway (also local)
> -ginny

ginny,

WAWA is as low as I'll go. They do make good hoagies. I like the touch
screen order entry system which speeds things up and they always manage to
get it right.

There's a Wendy's and McDs in town and a Subway which only lasted about six
months (no seating).

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? I have gotten
> to the point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to
> grab something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones
> around me are McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits
> well on my stomach. If I have to stop and eat something, I usually
> end up at the WaWa (local convenience store) and get them to make me
> a hoagie - costs less, tastes better, and doesn't make a nuisance of
> itself. Their hoagies are vastly superior to Subway (also local)
> -ginny

We have the typical Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, Wendy's, Burger King, KFC,
McD's, Sonic, What-A-burger, Arby's, A&W, Long John Silver's, and Hardee's -
all in our tiny town of about 15,000 residents. If you travel a little
outside of the area (20 minutes), you can find Checker's, Captain D's, and
Chick-fil-A. If I have to go to one of those fast-food dives in a pinch, I
prefer Hardee's, which is actually the closest to my house I think.

I'm with you, Ginny. Most of the food at those places bother my stomach
terribly, too, unless I get a salad, but dang! Those salads are pricey
these days! Of all the fast-food that we have here in town, I think Taco
Bell does me in the worst, followed by Long John Silver's, McD's and then
Burger King. (Heck, I had to try some of these places out because we didn't
have them on Maui and I was simply curious.)

We also have two Subways in town, but if I want a sub, I go to the Publix
Supermarket deli. It's about $.50 less than Subway and they use *so* much
more meat, cheese, and veggies. I get the foot-long because it's only $1.00
more than the 6" and I share it with my husband. It's not a quick lunch
solution, by any means, (take a number, stand in a winding line), but dang
they make an incredible sandwich!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? I have gotten to the
> point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to grab
> something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones around me are
> McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits well on my stomach.
> If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end up at the WaWa (local
> convenience store) and get them to make me a hoagie - costs less, tastes
> better, and doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Their hoagies are vastly
> superior to Subway (also local)
> -ginny

I go by the local McDonald's occasionally to have breakfast with the
other ROMEO's (Retired Old Men Eating Out). It's mostly just coffee and
a biscuit but their breakfasts are the only thing I'll eat. Otherwise I
would rather cook my own food thank you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? I have gotten to the
> point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to grab
> something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones around me are
> McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits well on my stomach.
> If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end up at the WaWa (local
> convenience store) and get them to make me a hoagie - costs less, tastes
> better, and doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Their hoagies are vastly
> superior to Subway (also local)
> -ginny

Hoagies are one of my favorites too if I didn't bring a lunch or happen
to be traveling around and want something fast. We have some great mom
and pop deli places here that make good ones. If the only choice was
Subway I just wouldn't bother.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 10:12*am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants?

Depends on what you call a fast food restaurant. I hit the local
shwarma place fairly often and have the occasional Tim Horton doughnut
but I have not been in something like a MacDonalds in 2-3 years.
Unless traveling long distances by car I almost never visit a fast
food place.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 10:53*am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:

> WaWa, while a convenience store,

And here I thought you were a Northern Ontario girl.

Try WaWa ON in google maps
John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? I have gotten to
> the point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to grab
> something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones around me are
> McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits well on my stomach.
> If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end up at the WaWa (local
> convenience store) and get them to make me a hoagie - costs less, tastes
> better, and doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Their hoagies are vastly
> superior to Subway (also local)
> -ginny

Other than local mom 'n pop pizza/sub places, I eat fast food only when
traveling (and there are no other options available).

I couldn't get over how many fast food chains there were when I lived in TX
(especially compared to here in the northeast). Amazing.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants?

Not often, but every now and then. I have fast-food items that I
sometimes crave, and when I do, I buy them. I'll spare you the short
list -- it'll put everyone off their dinner. :-)

> I have gotten to the
> point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to grab
> something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones around me are
> McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits well on my stomach.
> If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end up at the WaWa (local
> convenience store) and get them to make me a hoagie - costs less, tastes
> better, and doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Their hoagies are vastly
> superior to Subway (also local)

We have most of the fast-food chains around here. KFC/Taco Bell is
within a couple blocks; the others are farther away.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I eat fast food infrequently, but when the craving strikes, I love:

Taco Bell bean burritoes with hot sauce.

Wendy's Frosty with french fries to dip.

Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuits and chicken sandwiches with extra
pickles. The waffle fries are good, too. I appreciate that
Chick-Fil-A kids meal toys are a book or something useful or
educational, not movie tie-in junk.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 17, 7:12*am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? .....

I get something from In 'n Out, a mostly SoCal fast food burger chain,
about once every six weeks. I haven't eaten at any national fast food
chain for 10 or 20 years. But I patronize a local taco truck once a
week or so; we know several where the food is tasty and freshly made.
And that's it. Other eating out is at restaurants of all sizes and
types, but not fast food joints. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants?

Very infrequently. The two that I patronize willingly are White Castle
and Popeye's.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? I have gotten to
>> the point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to grab
>> something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones around me are
>> McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits well on my
>> stomach. If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end up at the
>> WaWa (local convenience store) and get them to make me a hoagie - costs
>> less, tastes better, and doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Their hoagies
>> are vastly superior to Subway (also local)
>> -ginny

> Other than local mom 'n pop pizza/sub places, I eat fast food only when
> traveling (and there are no other options available).
>
> I couldn't get over how many fast food chains there were when I lived in
> TX (especially compared to here in the northeast). Amazing.
>
> Mary

Yep Mary they are everywhere around here (Texas). We do occasionally have
Popeye's chicken and husband likes Wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches. Other
than that no fast food unless we're traveling. We took a Texas Freedom
Trail trip several years ago and talk about no places eat or even stay much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>
>> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants?

> Very infrequently. The two that I patronize willingly are White Castle
> and Popeye's.
>

> Brian

Even Emeril confesses to eating at Popeye's several times a year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It looks like I'll have to travel a bit south from the SF Peninsula to
hit some of the Ranger's suggested places.

When my daughter was in junior high her softball team was sponsored by
the local A&W drive-in. Every time they won a game we would go there
after. They were champs for a few years and I have not eaten fast food
since...my daughter is 43.

Enjoy the day,

Ellie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:31:56 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Jun 17, 7:12*am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
>> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? .....

>I get something from In 'n Out, a mostly SoCal fast food burger chain,
>about once every six weeks.

In 'n Out is in northern Cal and AZ as well now. They haven't made it
to NM yet.
When I was over that way a few months earlier, I had to get my In 'n
Out fix....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Jun 2008 18:00:26 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>The two that I patronize willingly are White Castle
>and Popeye's.

Popeye's has good red beans and rice and biscuits.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 10:12*am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? *I have gotten to the
> point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to grab
> something, I usually end up physically ill. *The local ones around me are
> McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits well on my stomach.
> If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end up at the WaWa (local
> convenience store) and get them to make me a hoagie - costs less, tastes
> better, and doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Their hoagies are vastly
> superior to Subway (also local)
> -ginny

Well, once every five years or so I'll get fast food (Wendy's, for
example)
while I'm traveling. Although I try to organize my trips so that I
don't have
to do that.

However, I go to Jimmy John's for a sub about once a month. There's
just something about them...

My idea of rapidly prepared REAL food is a dish of noodles at a local
Vietnamese sit-down restaurant. Doesn't take very long, doesn't cost
but about twice what a fast food meal does, and is much, much better
and better for me.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 11:23*am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:31:56 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:
>
> >On Jun 17, 7:12*am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> >> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? .....

> >I get something from In 'n Out, a mostly SoCal fast food burger chain,
> >about once every six weeks.

> In 'n Out is in northern Cal and AZ as well now. *They haven't made it
> to NM yet. *
> When I was over that way a few months earlier, I had to get my In 'n
> Out fix....
>
> Christine

Dammit- we need one in Seattle!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:29:38 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On Jun 17, 11:23*am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:31:56 -0700 (PDT), aem >
>> wrote:

>> >I get something from In 'n Out, a mostly SoCal fast food burger chain,
>> >about once every six weeks.

>> In 'n Out is in northern Cal and AZ as well now. *They haven't made it
>> to NM yet. *
>> When I was over that way a few months earlier, I had to get my In 'n
>> Out fix....
>>
>> Christine

>Dammit- we need one in Seattle!!

No In 'N Out here either. I did try a clone recipe that was posted
here years ago and I've got to say they were very good. I don't have
it anymore, sorry. I think it was nancy y. that posted it. Maybe if
she's listening and still has it she'd be nice enough to post it. I
used a press as that seemed to be the key to making it taste like fast
food, but a LOT better your you.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:37:07 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:
>
>I avoid fast food but there have been times I've had to stop at them.
>Usually when traveling. I certainly don't make a point of going to them
>if I can avoid them. Except White Castle. I love them and crave them
>maybe 2x a year. Then I seek them out.

little tavern (the d.c. local equivalent) is almost completely gone
from the metro area. it was a sad day for me when the one across the
street from the big mall nearest me in wheaton closed a couple years
ago.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> On 17 Jun 2008 18:00:26 GMT, "Default User" >
> wrote:
>
>> The two that I patronize willingly are White Castle
>> and Popeye's.

> Popeye's has good red beans and rice and biscuits.
>
> Tara

I forgot about Popeye's and Church's chicken, but I've never had either.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 11:21 am, wrote:
> It looks like I'll have to travel a bit south from the SF Peninsula to
> hit some of the Ranger's suggested places.

There are more but those are the ones I frequent.

Visit ba.food; lots of people in your neck of the woods can offer
suggestions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:31:56 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:
>
>>On Jun 17, 7:12*am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
>>> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? .....

>>I get something from In 'n Out, a mostly SoCal fast food burger chain,
>>about once every six weeks.

> In 'n Out is in northern Cal and AZ as well now. They haven't made it
> to NM yet.
> When I was over that way a few months earlier, I had to get my In 'n
> Out fix....
>
> Christine

Remember this?
http://supersizedmeals.com/food/arti...60125050438458

Andy
Not the one in the article
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:

> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants?

They're not restaurants, they're cafeterias without cutlery.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 17 Jun 2008 11:23:56a, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:31:56 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:
>
>>On Jun 17, 7:12*am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
>>> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? .....

>>I get something from In 'n Out, a mostly SoCal fast food burger chain,
>>about once every six weeks.

> In 'n Out is in northern Cal and AZ as well now. They haven't made it
> to NM yet.
> When I was over that way a few months earlier, I had to get my In 'n
> Out fix....
>
> Christine

I really like In 'n Out, but there's not one located within a quick drive
for us. When we're in the areas they exist, we usually stop there for a
burger.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 17 Jun 2008 01:20:09p, Miche told us...

> In article >,
> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
>
>> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants?

> They're not restaurants, they're cafeterias without cutlery.
>
> Miche

I think of them as "fast food stores". So do the corporations who run them.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Do not take life too seriously; you
will never get out of it alive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Christine Dabney said...
>
>> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:31:56 -0700 (PDT), aem >
>> wrote:

>>> I get something from In 'n Out, a mostly SoCal fast food burger chain,
>>> about once every six weeks.

>> In 'n Out is in northern Cal and AZ as well now. They haven't made it
>> to NM yet.
>> When I was over that way a few months earlier, I had to get my In 'n
>> Out fix....
>>
>> Christine

> Remember this?
> http://supersizedmeals.com/food/arti...60125050438458
>
> Andy
> Not the one in the article

As I was scrolling down I started to drool excessively then I seen the
raw patties and it just ruin it for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? I have gotten to the
> point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to grab
> something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones around me are
> McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits well on my stomach.
> If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end up at the WaWa (local
> convenience store) and get them to make me a hoagie - costs less, tastes
> better, and doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Their hoagies are vastly
> superior to Subway (also local)
> -ginny

Wendy's
McD's
Steak n' Shake
Taco Bell
Culvers
Quiznios
Maid-Rite
Fazoli's
Hardee's
Burger King (except the fries)
Just to name a few
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> On 17 Jun 2008 18:00:26 GMT, "Default User" >
> wrote:
>
>> The two that I patronize willingly are White Castle
>> and Popeye's.

> Popeye's has good red beans and rice and biscuits.
>
> Tara

....and dirty rice. Too bad we don't have one up in Iowa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini > wrote:

>Tara wrote:

>> On 17 Jun 2008 18:00:26 GMT, "Default User" >

>>> The two that I patronize willingly are White Castle
>>> and Popeye's.

>> Popeye's has good red beans and rice and biscuits.

>I forgot about Popeye's and Church's chicken, but I've never had either.

Ages ago I heard that Church's chicken was better than the
rest, so I tried it and was not impressed.

I don't do fast food except when on the road and it seems
necessary; then, I try to select Subway because the
vegan or vegetarian subs represent some level of non-unhealthful
food.

I don't trust the vegetarian burgers at McDonalds, Burger King
etc. if in North America but in Europe, these can be okay.

Last fast food I had was at a Subway in Fareham, England this
past Easter Sunday, when pretty much everything else was closed.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>I really like In 'n Out, but there's not one located within a quick drive
>for us. When we're in the areas they exist, we usually stop there for a
>burger.

Is there still a Bob's Big Boy or two out your way?

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 17 Jun 2008 05:19:08p, Steve Pope told us...

> kilikini > wrote:
>
>>Tara wrote:

>>> On 17 Jun 2008 18:00:26 GMT, "Default User" >

>>> Popeye's has good red beans and rice and biscuits.

>>I forgot about Popeye's and Church's chicken, but I've never had either.

> Ages ago I heard that Church's chicken was better than the
> rest, so I tried it and was not impressed.

Steve, I think it depends largely on which particular store you go to.
There are quite a few Church's chicken places in the Phoenix area. I have
been to a couple thata were quite good, and they also had very good fried
okra. Likewise, I have also been to some that I wish I'd never seen. I'm
very critical of fried chicken, and for me to have enjoyed it is really
saying something. I've only been to Popeye's once and I liked the
spiciness. There aren't many around here.

Having been raised on real southern fried chicken, places like KFC turn out
nothing but garbage AFAIC.

> I don't do fast food except when on the road and it seems
> necessary; then, I try to select Subway because the
> vegan or vegetarian subs represent some level of non-unhealthful
> food.

I've never liked Subway, but I do like to go to Quizno's on occasion.

> I don't trust the vegetarian burgers at McDonalds, Burger King
> etc. if in North America but in Europe, these can be okay.

I don't trust anything at McDonald's or Burger King. Occasionally I will
stop at a Wendy's if there isn't something else around.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Men don't like cats because cats are
cooler than they are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 17 Jun 2008 05:43:57p, Steve Pope told us...

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>I really like In 'n Out, but there's not one located within a quick drive
>>for us. When we're in the areas they exist, we usually stop there for a
>>burger.

> Is there still a Bob's Big Boy or two out your way?
>
> S.

No longer in Phoenix. The last one closed 3-4 years ago. However, they
are still prevalent in the midwest.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Art is beautiful until it becomes real
or the truth. (Jonathan Carroll)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:

> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? I have gotten to the
> point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to grab
> something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones around me are
> McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits well on my stomach.
> If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end up at the WaWa (local
> convenience store) and get them to make me a hoagie - costs less, tastes
> better, and doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Their hoagies are vastly
> superior to Subway (also local)

Here in the Philadelphia area (where Ginny and I both live), there's a
lousy selection of fast food restaurants, but there's more than what she
said. In addition to Wendy's, Burger King, and McDonalds, there's also
Taco Bell, KFC, and Popeye's.

My favorite of the local places is Wendy's. I like Wendy's ultimate
grilled chicken sandwich.

When I am in Las Vegas, my hands down favorite fast food place is
In-N-Out. I love the burgers and fries there!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:12:19 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? I have gotten to the
>point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to grab
>something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones around me are
>McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits well on my stomach.
>If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end up at the WaWa (local
>convenience store) and get them to make me a hoagie - costs less, tastes
>better, and doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Their hoagies are vastly
>superior to Subway (also local)
>-ginny

Sure, we eat at fast food restaurants occasionally. Within each brand
name they are pretty much the same, but there are exceptions.
sometimes you have to shop around to find out which ones have the
better cooks. And that can change too depending on how often the kids
there change jobs. If you are luck, the owner/manager will have a
clue and train the new kids well. For our choices:

Burgers - In-n-Out (Wendy's second choice)
Tacos - Taco bell (also their Mexican Pizza is pretty good)
Breakfast - McDonalds Egg Mc Muffin
Subs - Quizno's (Subway second choice)
Chicken - El Pollo Loco (there is no second choice)

I would have put White Castle on the list, but having eaten original
White Castle burgers (in the forties) when they came in boxes shaped
like castles... the new White Castle burgers are a big disappointment.

Ron Kelley
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 17 Jun 2008 07:28:27p, Ron told us...

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:12:19 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > wrote:
>
>>How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? I have gotten to
>>the point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to grab
>>something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones around me
>>are McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits well on my
>>stomach. If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end up at the
>>WaWa (local convenience store) and get them to make me a hoagie - costs
>>less, tastes better, and doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Their
>>hoagies are vastly superior to Subway (also local)
>>-ginny
>>

> Sure, we eat at fast food restaurants occasionally. Within each brand
> name they are pretty much the same, but there are exceptions.
> sometimes you have to shop around to find out which ones have the
> better cooks. And that can change too depending on how often the kids
> there change jobs. If you are luck, the owner/manager will have a
> clue and train the new kids well. For our choices:
>
> Burgers - In-n-Out (Wendy's second choice)

Agreed

> Tacos - Taco bell (also their Mexican Pizza is pretty good)

Del Taco (same price range, but we like it better)
Baja Fresh (a notch above)

> Breakfast - McDonalds Egg Mc Muffin

McDonald's Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit

> Subs - Quizno's (Subway second choice)

Quizno's hands down (we don't like subway)

> Chicken - El Pollo Loco (there is no second choice)

Agreed

> I would have put White Castle on the list, but having eaten original
> White Castle burgers (in the forties) when they came in boxes shaped
> like castles... the new White Castle burgers are a big disappointment.

I would still put White Castle on the list, depending on location. There
are non in Phoenix, but some of the stores in Cleveland are pretty good.
They still put them in little boxes, but not castle shaped.

No defunct, but liked better than White Castle was Royal Castle, and their
Birch Beer in frozen mugs

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Drive your cart and plow over the
bones of the dead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> How many of you actually eat at fast food restaurants? I have gotten to
> the point that if I stop at one in a pinch (blood sugar drops) to grab
> something, I usually end up physically ill. The local ones around me are
> McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's, and not a one sits well on my stomach.
> If I have to stop and eat something, I usually end up at the WaWa (local
> convenience store) and get them to make me a hoagie - costs less, tastes
> better, and doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Their hoagies are vastly
> superior to Subway (also local)
> -ginny

A couple of times a month I take my wife for blood work early in the
morning. We'll stop at McDonalds for breakfast before I go to work. While
not a destination for a fancy meal, I like the coffee and it is reasonably
satisfying. Even better is the time I spend with Gloria relaxing those few
minutes in the morning.