FoodBanter.com

-   -   Vegan 12-year-old girl has spine of an 80-year old (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/156836-re-vegan-12-year.html)

George Shirley 10-06-2008 02:12 AM

Dimitri wrote:

> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> Dimitri > wrote:

>>> Unbelievable.

>> Not really; before they started adding Vitamin D to milk, all
>> sorts of people had rickets because they were too dumb to know
>> enough to deliberately consume it.
>>
>> "Fortified foods represent the major dietary sources of vitamin D,
>> as very few foods naturally contain significant amounts of vitamin D"
>> (Wikipedia)
>>
>> Couple this with the fact that while the UK has lots of vegetarians,
>> nearly all of them are ovo-lactoids, so there's not a general
>> culture among vegetarians there of worrying about vitamin D.
>>
>> Steve

> No sunlight in the UK?
>
> Maybe they kept her in a darkened room or bathed her in sunscreen
>

> http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

Not really a lot of sunshine in the UK. "A good day in the UK is like
looking up a chimney, a bad day is like looking down a chimney."

Exerpted from a book I used to have that, I think, was titled, "1000
jokes about Great Britain."

Ron[_7_] 10-06-2008 04:44 AM

Vegan 12-year-old girl has spine of an 80-year old

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 20:12:11 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Dimitri wrote:

>>> Not really; before they started adding Vitamin D to milk, all
>>> sorts of people had rickets because they were too dumb to know
>>> enough to deliberately consume it.
>>>
>>> "Fortified foods represent the major dietary sources of vitamin D,
>>> as very few foods naturally contain significant amounts of vitamin D"
>>> (Wikipedia)
>>>
>>> Couple this with the fact that while the UK has lots of vegetarians,
>>> nearly all of them are ovo-lactoids, so there's not a general
>>> culture among vegetarians there of worrying about vitamin D.
>>>
>>> Steve

>> No sunlight in the UK?
>>
>> Maybe they kept her in a darkened room or bathed her in sunscreen
>>

>> http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp
>>

>Not really a lot of sunshine in the UK. "A good day in the UK is like
>looking up a chimney, a bad day is like looking down a chimney."
>
>Exerpted from a book I used to have that, I think, was titled, "1000
>jokes about Great Britain."

Having spent 90 days in the U.K. (at the request of the USAF), I can
safely say I could count on the fingers of one hand the days I could
see my shadow distinctly. Most days were "high overcast". The air
was crystal clear, but the sky was a uniform light gray. Some days
the fog was so thick you literally could not see more than ten feet
ahead of yourself.

As a side note, the countryside is beautiful and the people are
gracious and kind to wandering yanks.

Ron Kelley

Paul M. Cook 10-06-2008 05:02 AM

"Ron" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 20:12:11 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>>Dimitri wrote:

>>> No sunlight in the UK?
>>>
>>> Maybe they kept her in a darkened room or bathed her in sunscreen
>>>

>>> http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp
>>>

>>Not really a lot of sunshine in the UK. "A good day in the UK is like
>>looking up a chimney, a bad day is like looking down a chimney."
>>
>>Exerpted from a book I used to have that, I think, was titled, "1000
>>jokes about Great Britain."

> Having spent 90 days in the U.K. (at the request of the USAF), I can
> safely say I could count on the fingers of one hand the days I could
> see my shadow distinctly. Most days were "high overcast". The air
> was crystal clear, but the sky was a uniform light gray. Some days
> the fog was so thick you literally could not see more than ten feet
> ahead of yourself.
>
> As a side note, the countryside is beautiful and the people are
> gracious and kind to wandering yanks.

Aye, but stay off the moors at night. Stick to the road I tell ya.

Paul