Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vegan 12-year-old girl has spine of an 80-year old

Dimitri > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

> Not really; before they started adding Vitamin D to milk, all
> sorts of people had rickets because they were too dumb to know
> enough to deliberately consume it.

> "Fortified foods represent the major dietary sources of vitamin D,
> as very few foods naturally contain significant amounts of vitamin D"
> (Wikipedia)

>No sunlight in the UK?
>
>Maybe they kept her in a darkened room or bathed her in sunscreen

UK is at a way nothern latitude so there is a lot less of
the unfiltered sunlight that would produce Vitamin D.

Even most of the population of Canada is low-normal for Vitamin D,
and Glasgow is a higher latitude than that.

Couple that with you live in a project in a grim part of Glasgow,
you may not let your kid outside all that much.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Dimitri > wrote:

sunlight in the UK?

>>Maybe they kept her in a darkened room or bathed her in sunscreen

> UK is at a way nothern latitude so there is a lot less of
> the unfiltered sunlight that would produce Vitamin D.
>
> Even most of the population of Canada is low-normal for Vitamin D,
> and Glasgow is a higher latitude than that.

> Steve

My daughter's doctor says almost no one in the northern hemisphere gets
enough vit D in winter. The rays are too low and the days too short. In
summer 20 minutes every few days will do you.

She had to be treated for severe VitD deficiency this year due to her
dermatologist's insistance that she wear sun block at all times. Doc still
insists, but kid now leaves the back of her neck unprotected.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> My daughter's doctor says almost no one in the northern hemisphere gets
> enough vit D in winter. The rays are too low and the days too short. In
> summer 20 minutes every few days will do you.
>
> She had to be treated for severe VitD deficiency this year due to her
> dermatologist's insistance that she wear sun block at all times. Doc still
> insists, but kid now leaves the back of her neck unprotected.

My daughter also uses sunblock all the time--and she assiduously avoids
all sun. It's lucky she drinks fortified milk and takes vities!!!!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in
:

> Giusi wrote:
>> My daughter's doctor says almost no one in the northern hemisphere
>> gets enough vit D in winter. The rays are too low and the days too
>> short. In summer 20 minutes every few days will do you.
>>
>> She had to be treated for severe VitD deficiency this year due to her
>> dermatologist's insistance that she wear sun block at all times. Doc
>> still insists, but kid now leaves the back of her neck unprotected.
>>

> My daughter also uses sunblock all the time--and she assiduously
> avoids all sun. It's lucky she drinks fortified milk and takes
> vities!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Queensland.

Beautiful one day..... perfect the next.

Still a lot of VitD deficiencies though........ mainly due to the bloody
great parties we have in the afternoon sun!! :-)

"If we're not meant to eat animals, who come they're made of meat??"

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

The path of a warrior never deviating,
one has to become not just a part of nature
but a force of nature,
acting in accordance with the laws of the universe.
(Getsumei No Michi, the Moonlit Path)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 3:36*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Steve Pope" > ha scritto nel ...> Dimitri > wrote:
>
> *sunlight in the UK?
>

> >>Maybe they kept her in a darkened room or bathed her in sunscreen

> > UK is at a way nothern latitude so there is a lot less of
> > the unfiltered sunlight that would produce Vitamin D.

> > Even most of the population of Canada is low-normal for Vitamin D,
> > and Glasgow is a higher latitude than that.
> > Steve

> My daughter's doctor says almost no one in the northern hemisphere gets
> enough vit D in winter. *The rays are too low and the days too short. *In
> summer 20 minutes every few days will do you.
>
> She had to be treated for severe VitD deficiency this year due to her
> dermatologist's insistance that she wear sun block at all times. *Doc still
> insists, but kid now leaves the back of her neck unprotected.

So, she's a redneck?

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 3:36*am, "Giusi" > wrote:

> My daughter's doctor says almost no one in the northern hemisphere gets
> enough vit D in winter. *The rays are too low and the days too short. *In
> summer 20 minutes every few days will do you.

I hope he or she meant "northern latitudes of the northern
hemisphere". Singapore is in the northern hemisphere, at
one degree north of the equator.

> She had to be treated for severe VitD deficiency this year due to her
> dermatologist's insistance that she wear sun block at all times. *Doc still
> insists, but kid now leaves the back of her neck unprotected.

I don't think it's fair to blame the dermatologist. The
safe bet is to use sunblock but take vitamin D supplements.
Then you're covered.

Blistering sunburns during one's teen years especially
present a medical risk.

Steve