FoodBanter.com

-   -   Wanted: meringue cookie ideas (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/156818-wanted-meringue-cookie-ideas.html)

Scott[_6_] 09-06-2008 09:19 PM

Wanted: meringue cookie ideas

I was going to make a bunch for someone who wanted a sweet treat but
without the fat/calories. Since they basically break down to about 30
calories each, depending on size, I thought meringue cookies would be a
good idea.

Since they're insipid if plain, I was going to add cocoa powder. But
that's all I can think to do. I've used almond extract in the past, but
I think cocoa is a better flavoring. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else
to add. Mini M&Ms or chocolate chips would easily double the calories,
unless I barely added any at all.

Any ideas?

--
to reply
replace "spamless.invalid" with "verizon.net"

http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/

merryb 09-06-2008 10:35 PM

On Jun 9, 1:19*pm, Scott > wrote:
> I was going to make a bunch for someone who wanted a sweet treat but
> without the fat/calories. Since they basically break down to about 30
> calories each, depending on size, I thought meringue cookies would be a
> good idea.
>
> Since they're insipid if plain, I was going to add cocoa powder. But
> that's all I can think to do. I've used almond extract in the past, but
> I think cocoa is a better flavoring. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else
> to add. Mini M&Ms or chocolate chips would easily double the calories,
> unless I barely added any at all.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> to reply
> replace "spamless.invalid" with "verizon.net"
>
> http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/

I think the cocoa is a good idea- meringues need all the help they can
get!! Maybe sandwich them together with Nutella or jam? Maybe add some
chopped pistachios or whatever nut you like??

Dimitri 09-06-2008 10:47 PM

"Scott" > wrote in message
>I was going to make a bunch for someone who wanted a sweet treat but
> without the fat/calories. Since they basically break down to about 30
> calories each, depending on size, I thought meringue cookies would be a
> good idea.
>
> Since they're insipid if plain, I was going to add cocoa powder. But
> that's all I can think to do. I've used almond extract in the past, but
> I think cocoa is a better flavoring. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else
> to add. Mini M&Ms or chocolate chips would easily double the calories,
> unless I barely added any at all.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> to reply
> replace "spamless.invalid" with "verizon.net"
>
> http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/

Mini Reese's Pieces 1 or 2 per cookie.
Dry Roasted peanuts / almonds
Dried Cranberries
Raisins

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Gloria P 10-06-2008 03:09 AM

merryb wrote:
> On Jun 9, 1:19 pm, Scott > wrote:
>> I was going to make a bunch for someone who wanted a sweet treat but
>> without the fat/calories. Since they basically break down to about 30
>> calories each, depending on size, I thought meringue cookies would be a
>> good idea.
>>
>> Since they're insipid if plain, I was going to add cocoa powder.

What about lightly flavoring with peppermint and folding in crushed
mint candy.

gloria p

Dave Bell 10-06-2008 05:28 AM

Nexis wrote:

> "Scott" > wrote in message
>> I was going to make a bunch for someone who wanted a sweet treat but
>> without the fat/calories. Since they basically break down to about 30
>> calories each, depending on size, I thought meringue cookies would be a
>> good idea.
>>
>> Since they're insipid if plain, I was going to add cocoa powder. But
>> that's all I can think to do. I've used almond extract in the past, but
>> I think cocoa is a better flavoring. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else
>> to add. Mini M&Ms or chocolate chips would easily double the calories,
>> unless I barely added any at all.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Over the holidays I made peppermint meringues. I used peppermint
> extract, since oil would break down the whites. I also dipped the
> bottoms in bittersweet chocolate, which besides being lower in calories
> and fat, has very little sugar, and sets off the peppermint perfectly.

Sounds great!
And orange extract, with the dark chocolate dip, too!

> You could also add instant espresso.

Should work!

Dave