Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whipped Cream

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:19:29 -0700, wrote:

>The best whipped cream I ever had was at a little French Pastry shop
>off the plaza in Santa Fe New Mexico.
>It was lightly whipped, creamy, had a little body and not beaten to
>peaks. It was barely sweetened, if at all. This is what it looked
>like.

http://i26.tinypic.com/30x7l0l.jpg

Is that the one that is part of La Fonda?

The best whipped cream I ever had was at Chez Panisse in Berkeley. It
was very much as you described that whipped cream in the pic. It was
very satiny, though.. It was served with an almond cake, and I cannot
remember if it was sweetened or not. Heaven.

I asked them what they used, and they use Strauss Family cream...
After that, I got some of the cream myself and whipped it as closely
as I could to what Chez Panisse did. It was pretty good, but I don't
have the Chez Panisse touch.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 10 Jun 2008 06:17:35p, PeterLucas told us...

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> 6.120:
>
>> On Tue 10 Jun 2008 08:52:05a, PeterLucas told us...
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
>>> .120:

>>> Try Pure Icing Sugar.

>> Icing sugar, or confectioner's sugar in the US, has a small amount of
>> cornstarch in it to keep it from clumping. I can taste it in the
>> whipped cream.

> Hmmmmmmmmmm, will have to have a look and see what's in ours.
>
> http://www.csrsugar.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx?id=8
>
> 100% pure icing sugar, 100% gluten free.

I wish ours was.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 15:30:04 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:
>>I disagree with the above, I think most whipped cream is overwhipped and
>>over sweetened. I prefer it to be still a bit creamy, so that it mounds
>>very well, but doesn't hold a stiff peak like meringue. I also prefer
>>half
>>the amount of sugar in recipes, so that the cream taste is still and most
>>importantly evident. I think you should try it both ways and decide for
>>yourself, but if you also like it less whipped, you are less apt to make
>>butter!
>>

> I agree with Giusi's disagreeing ;-)
> The best whipped cream I ever had was at a little French Pastry shop
> off the plaza in Santa Fe New Mexico.
> It was lightly whipped, creamy, had a little body and not beaten to
> peaks. It was barely sweetened, if at all. This is what it looked
> like.
> http://i26.tinypic.com/30x7l0l.jpg
>
> koko

Attagirl! I make a summer cake sometimes that is a sponge drizzled with
raspberry grappa, then layered with raspberry jam and chocolate mousse.
It's frosted on top with whipped cream and raspberries, and while it would
look better stiffly whipped it tastes and feels better soft and almost not
sweetened at all.
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> Attagirl! I make a summer cake sometimes that is a sponge drizzled
> with raspberry grappa, then layered with raspberry jam and chocolate
> mousse. It's frosted on top with whipped cream and raspberries, and
> while it would look better stiffly whipped it tastes and feels better
> soft and almost not sweetened at all.

I never sweeten cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:05:10 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:29:55 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Well that was easy peasy!
>>>
>>> Per my BHG cook book I used 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp
>>> sugar (though I may try less next time), and 1 tsp vanilla. Or 1/2 tsp
>>> (i forget exactly right now).
>>>
>>> I beat until it was creamy and formed soft peaks. It was delicious!
>>> Put it right on top of our belgian waffles and fresh strawberries - my
>>> 1yr old seemed to like it too.

>> i would advise against getting the rugrat too accustomed to the finer
>> things in life at such an early age. it could be costly in the long
>> run.

>I couldn't disagree more. Teaching a kid what real, fresh food tastes
>like is one of the most wonderful thing a parent can do, and it sets
>that kid up to know how to feed a family on fresh, high-quality foods,
>which promote a healthier, happier life, which is cheaper in the long run.
>
>Serene

i was teasing, serene.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:05:10 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> > wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:
>>> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:29:55 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob

>>> i would advise against getting the rugrat too accustomed to the finer
>>> things in life at such an early age. it could be costly in the long
>>> run.

>> I couldn't disagree more. Teaching a kid what real, fresh food tastes
>> like is one of the most wonderful thing a parent can do, and it sets
>> that kid up to know how to feed a family on fresh, high-quality foods,
>> which promote a healthier, happier life, which is cheaper in the long run.
>>
>> Serene

> i was teasing, serene.

Well, yeah, once I woke up I figured that out.

ObFood: Last night's dinner: Rice noodles with stir-fried veggies, egg,
marinated pork, sambal oelek, soy sauce, scallions, cilantro. SO good.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Tue 10 Jun 2008 10:38:24a, Serene Vannoy told us...
>
> > Giusi wrote:

> >> Thanks for all the encouragement, but Alan, try it my way-- strawberry
> >> shortcake with undersweetened and underwhipped cream!

> > We use unsweetened whipped cream for almost all desserts -- we like it
> > better that way, and James is diabetic, so it means he isn't doubling
> > the sugar sources if he wants a little slice of pie with whipped cream
> > on it.
> >
> > (James likes his whipped to within a millimeter of butter; I have a
> > broader range of acceptable consistencies.)

> I'm with James on that. Often I don't sweeten it. It just depends on how
> I'm using it.

I almost never sweeten whipped cream. To me it detracts from the taste.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:34:37 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:19:29 -0700, wrote:
>

>>The best whipped cream I ever had was at a little French Pastry shop
>>off the plaza in Santa Fe New Mexico.
>>It was lightly whipped, creamy, had a little body and not beaten to
>>peaks. It was barely sweetened, if at all. This is what it looked
>>like.

http://i26.tinypic.com/30x7l0l.jpg

>Is that the one that is part of La Fonda?

Yes

snippage

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 6/1
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw