Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default GARDEN - Acreage Costs

On Jun 3, 5:09�pm, "Van" > wrote:
> Well, Sheldon, sorry for the delay in responding, but I had to consult the
> resident real estate expert here.
>
> It seems that in Berne/Knox/Westerlo, tillable land can be easily had for
> $2-3,000 per acre (with road frontage). �As you go back further from a
> road/street (similar to your rear 'yard') the value decreases. �Bear in
> mind, this is UNIMPROVED land (no structures) in those municipalities.

Your resident real estate expert must be living well into the past, he/
she hasn't a clue. First off there aren't many parcels of larger
acreage for sale anywhere in albany county (it's difficult to find
anything over ten acres), and any decent land is selling for $10,000/
acre and up.

I don't make up the listings:
http://greenemls.rapmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 8:43Â*pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> On Jun 3, 5:09�pm, "Van" > wrote:
>
> > Well, Sheldon, sorry for the delay in responding, but I had to consult the
> > resident real estate expert here.

> > It seems that in Berne/Knox/Westerlo, tillable land can be easily had for
> > $2-3,000 per acre (with road frontage). �As you go back further from a
> > road/street (similar to your rear 'yard') the value decreases. �Bear in
> > mind, this is UNIMPROVED land (no structures) in those municipalities.

> Your resident real estate expert must be living well into the past, he/
> she hasn't a clue. Â*First off there aren't many parcels of larger
> acreage for sale anywhere in albany county (it's difficult to find
> anything over ten acres), and any decent land is selling for $10,000/
> acre and up.
>
> I don't make up the listings:http://greenemls.rapmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll

Sorry, seems folks have to find properties themselves:
http://greenemls.rapmls.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 6:10�am, "Van" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> .
>
> Your resident real estate expert must be living well into the past, he/
> she hasn't a clue. �First off there aren't many parcels of larger
> acreage for sale anywhere in albany county (it's difficult to find
> anything over ten acres), and any decent land is selling for $10,000/
> acre and up.
>
> Shel:
> Larger parcels are almost impossible to find; �that's not what I was
> quoting. �I thought you just wanted to know what was available around here.
> That's why I said you were fortunate to get what you got. �You probably
> WON'T be able to easily duplicate it. (Maybe in remote, rural counties such
> as Schoharie).
>
> My 'resident expert' does not specialize in rural acreage, but does have the
> info I can access. �This person has over 20+ years active real estate
> experience, sells over 200 properties a year (consistantly and only by
> representing corporate sellers, never has to deal with buyers, as well as
> being a licensed appraiser who performs over 300+ paid appraisals per year..

Then perhaps a misunderstanding. I responded to what you wrote
regarding my 90 acre parcel in northwest Albany County. But then in
your third paragraph I lost you because you seemed to switch to
refering to the 16 acre property where I live.

It's actually difficult nowadays to find any property anywhere in the
Capitol region for under $10,000 per acre... many are small parcels
(less than 5 acres) often with a trailer or hunting cabin and composed
mostly of wetlands and no views, even those are selling for over
$100,000, and you'd need to pay a substantial sum to have the
dilapidated structure(s) removed. Large parcels (30 acres+) of good
high and dry farm land is selling for $10,000/acre and up... *up*
depending on many factors such as accessability, what kind of view,
streams/ponds, perk tests, and of course *Location*... in the
Escarpment area even 5 acre woodland lots are selling for $200,000-
$300,000.

"It seems that in Berne/Knox/Westerlo, tillable land can be easily had
for
$2-3,000 per acre (with road frontage).

I'd love to find that kind of land, I'd snap it up in a NY second.

As you go back further from a
road/street (similar to your rear 'yard') the value decreases. Bear
in
mind, this is UNIMPROVED land (no structures) in those
municipalities.

My back field is part of the 16 acres I live on, it's not on a
separate deed.

Altamont/Guilderland, however, is a whole different ball of wax.
These
areas are looked at mostly with an eye for development, as they are
desirable 'bedroom communities' easily accessible from the Albany
metropolitan job areas, and can fetch substantially more. There's no
such thing as an average price there."

This is very true... and don't forget all the multi million dollar
mini mansions going up by the hundreds on small properties in teh
woods all along the corridor from Knox to Altamont to Guilderland.

"You are extremely fortunate to have found the parcel that's yours."

Not sure here which property you mean. Finding both required
tremendous effort, no luck was involved.

"It appears to be relatively flat & accessible for whatever use you
might want."

Both properties are relatively level and on well maintainted county
roads. I live on one. The other is strictly an investment.

"I'm envious of your 50 x 50 garden - but that's also got to entail
quite a
bit of upkeep, as well. I think I'm going to settle for just a few
tomato &
pepper plants, as well as my small herb patch."

The only difficult part of that garden was in its initial
construction, maintaining it is very easy, providing one invests in
the proper tools and equipment. Once planted the plants kind of take
care of themselves... it's only the harvesting and preparing that
requires some time and effort, but no more time and effort than
shopping for them at the market, and still gotta prepare them.
Constructing a vegetable garden is mostly about planning the location;
full sun, close to a water supply. and having a place for a storage
shed. But primarily it's about enjoying gardening... people who think
of gardening as a chore should not attempt it or even entertain the
idea. Gardening is a hobby, it's definitely not to save time and
effort, and certainly not to save money. Most anyone with their own
home can find a 12' X 12' plot of ground for a garden, that's plenty
large enough to supply a family of four. My garden is really too big,
that's why I devoted 1/3 to growing blueberries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Van" wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
>
> My garden is really too big,
> that's why I devoted 1/3 to growing blueberries.
>
> In our small patch we have 6 blueberry bushes - my granddaughter loves to go
> out there & pick some when she comes to visit!
>
> I thought your two parcels were connected and that you just allowed a farmer
> to hay some of the 90-acre section. �My bad. �Now I know they're 2 separate
> ones. �Here's a question - did you plant all that grass, or was it growing
> when you got the place? �The flatness of the plot almost suggests that it
> was landscaped/raked (York?) at some point.

The 90 acre parcel was already in hay when I bought it.

The property I live on was also mostly in hay, only the front and
around the house was lawn. But I'm not into haying nor was I willing
to make the investment in equipment just for those few acres... the
last owner contracted to hay many nearby properties. So now that I
mow it short the lawn grasses are taking over and the hay is dying
out.

> Van
>
> Also jealous of yer BARN!! �(never enough storage, ya know)

Oh, that barn is huge (to me), the last owner had it filled to the
rafters with square hay bales, I keep my big tractor and its
implements in there. Of course lots of birds live in there too, so I
have to share and it's not easy to find a spot to park where I don't
get splattered.