Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tea Stain Tip

Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid plastic
lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea stains had
built up, even with frequent dishwashering.

Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox along
with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five minues
later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them through a dishwasher cycle and
good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of, they do not retain
odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither tea nor bleach.

But you probably already knew about this...

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox along
> with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five minues
> later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them through a dishwasher cycle and
> good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of, they do not retain
> odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither tea nor bleach.
>
> But you probably already knew about this...

I use a smidgeon of bleach in my Fiesta iced tea pitcher and my white
mugs when the tea stains get built up on them. I don't use anything
plastic that would require treating, but it works like a charm (as you
found out!) in china too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid
> plastic lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea
> stains had built up, even with frequent dishwashering.
>
> Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of
> Clorox along with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot
> water. Five minues later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them
> through a dishwasher cycle and good as new. Whatever kind of plastic
> these are made of, they do not retain odor or taste of any contents
> they've held, neither tea nor bleach.
>
> But you probably already knew about this...

I had to stop Mom from running bleach through her coffee maker. The carafe
had some tough stains and bleach was all she could think of to clean it.
Um, you really don't want to be drinking that. White vinegar works a treat

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid
> > plastic lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea
> > stains had built up, even with frequent dishwashering.
> >
> > Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of
> > Clorox along with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot
> > water. Five minues later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them
> > through a dishwasher cycle and good as new. Whatever kind of plastic
> > these are made of, they do not retain odor or taste of any contents
> > they've held, neither tea nor bleach.
> >
> > But you probably already knew about this...

> I had to stop Mom from running bleach through her coffee maker. The carafe
> had some tough stains and bleach was all she could think of to clean it.
> Um, you really don't want to be drinking that. White vinegar works a treat
>

> Jill

The acid flush i.e. vinegar works better at removing hard water mineral
deposits, but there is nothing wrong with running bleach sanitizer
through the system now and then. If you have city water you're drinking
the bleach regularly anyway, and if you do a second cycle with plain
water to flush the system you'll have no residual anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid plastic
>lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea stains had
>built up, even with frequent dishwashering.
>
>Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox along
>with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five minues
>later, not a trace of tea stain.

What's the advantage of bleached tea stain over plain brown tea stain?

> Put them through a dishwasher cycle and
>good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of, they do not retain
>odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither tea nor bleach.
>
>But you probably already knew about this...

Nah. I use things you can't see the tea stain in. (And a black
coffee cup. ;-)

Come to that, shouldn't the build up of tea stain in the right places
be regarded in the same light as "seasoning" frying pans and woks?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.120...
> Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid plastic
> lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea stains had
> built up, even with frequent dishwashering.
>
> Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox
> along
> with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five minues
> later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them through a dishwasher cycle and
> good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of, they do not
> retain
> odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither tea nor bleach.
>
> But you probably already knew about this...

I never make tea in plastic. It never loses the taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
om...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .120...
>> Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid plastic
>> lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea stains had
>> built up, even with frequent dishwashering.
>>
>> Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox
>> along
>> with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five minues
>> later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them through a dishwasher cycle and
>> good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of, they do not
>> retain
>> odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither tea nor bleach.
>>
>> But you probably already knew about this...
>>

> I never make tea in plastic. It never loses the taste.

I iced tea I make in Rubbermaid pitchers once or twice a week and have never
had a problem with 'plastic' taste.

I do have a problem with stain buildup so I'll try Wayne's suggestion.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.120...
> Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid plastic
> lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea stains had
> built up, even with frequent dishwashering.
>
> Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox
> along
> with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five minues
> later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them through a dishwasher cycle and
> good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of, they do not
> retain
> odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither tea nor bleach.
>
> But you probably already knew about this...

Thought about trying that but haven't as yet. I'll give it a try. Thanks for
the suggestion.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zeppo" > wrote >>
>> I never make tea in plastic. It never loses the taste.

> I iced tea I make in Rubbermaid pitchers once or twice a week and have
> never had a problem with 'plastic' taste.

I know, lots of people say this. But *I* can taste it, I swear.

> I do have a problem with stain buildup so I'll try Wayne's suggestion.

Bleach works wonders. Try a few drops in stained ceramic coffee
cups, then fill with water and let it sit for a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 8:55*am, (Phred) wrote:
> In article >, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
> >Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid plastic
> >lidded pitchers for several years. *Still, over time, the tea stains had
> >built up, even with frequent dishwashering.

> >Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox along
> >with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. *Five minues
> >later, not a trace of tea stain.

> What's the advantage of bleached tea stain over plain brown tea stain?
>
> > Put them through a dishwasher cycle and
> >good as new. *Whatever kind of plastic these are made of, they do not retain
> >odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither tea nor bleach.

> >But you probably already knew about this... *

> Nah. *I use things you can't see the tea stain in. *(And a black
> coffee cup. ;-)
>
> Come to that, shouldn't the build up of tea stain in the right places
> be regarded in the same light as "seasoning" *frying pans and woks?
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --

Staining fabrics with tea is a fabulous way to get exactly the right
shade of ivory or ecru - I once died some lace the perfect color to
extend the sleeves of a blouse. Works a treat and is pretty much
permanent.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox

along
> > with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five minues
> > later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them through a dishwasher cycle

and
> > good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of, they do not

retain
> > odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither tea nor bleach.
> >
> > But you probably already knew about this...
> >

> I use a smidgeon of bleach in my Fiesta iced tea pitcher and my white
> mugs when the tea stains get built up on them. I don't use anything
> plastic that would require treating, but it works like a charm (as you
> found out!) in china too.

How about something like Polident...???

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

>> I use a smidgeon of bleach in my Fiesta iced tea pitcher and my white
>> mugs when the tea stains get built up on them. I don't use anything
>> plastic that would require treating, but it works like a charm (as you
>> found out!) in china too.

> How about something like Polident...???

I keep bleach in the house. I've never needed Polident.
<Goomba says as she flashes a mouth full of her own grown teeth!>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.120...
> Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid plastic
> lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea stains had
> built up, even with frequent dishwashering.
>
> Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox
> along
> with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five minues
> later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them through a dishwasher cycle and
> good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of, they do not
> retain
> odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither tea nor bleach.
>
> But you probably already knew about this...
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

FWIW granny used to stain many mugs as well as several teaspoons with her
Irish Breakfast tea. I have had great success using just lemon juice either
fresh or bottled to remove the stains - the lemon juice works in a snap and
there are no worries about chemicals.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
>>> I use a smidgeon of bleach in my Fiesta iced tea pitcher and my white
>>> mugs when the tea stains get built up on them. I don't use anything
>>> plastic that would require treating, but it works like a charm (as you
>>> found out!) in china too.

>> How about something like Polident...???
>>

> I keep bleach in the house. I've never needed Polident.
> <Goomba says as she flashes a mouth full of her own grown teeth!>

So, I guess this is unusual in your family?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "jmcquown" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I had to stop Mom from running bleach through her coffee maker. The
>> carafe had some tough stains and bleach was all she could think of to
>> clean it. Um, you really don't want to be drinking that. White
>> vinegar works a treat

> I use white vinegar in the coffee maker also. They make an actual coffee
> pot cleaner that you can find in the supemarket. I've found that using
> ice
> cubes and kosher salt with a dab of water does a remarkable job on the
> actual glass pot itself and the glass iced tea pitchers. Just put in some
> ice, salt and some water and whirl it around real good. Rinse and clean
> as
> usual and it's clean.
>
> Michael
>
> --

Damn - I just tried this and in less than a minute total effort, my
coffeepot is nice and clean!

HH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Goomba wrote:

>> I use a smidgeon of bleach in my Fiesta iced tea pitcher and my white
>> mugs when the tea stains get built up on them. I don't use anything
>> plastic that would require treating, but it works like a charm (as you
>> found out!) in china too.

> How about something like Polident...???

Scrubbing lightly with a paste of baking soda and water usually works
well on tea or coffee stains.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 02:10:36p, Gregory Morrow told us...

> Goomba wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> > Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox
>> > along with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five
>> > minues later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them through a dishwasher
>> > cycle and good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of,
>> > they do not retain odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither
>> > tea nor bleach.
>> >
>> > But you probably already knew about this...
>> >

>> I use a smidgeon of bleach in my Fiesta iced tea pitcher and my white
>> mugs when the tea stains get built up on them. I don't use anything
>> plastic that would require treating, but it works like a charm (as you
>> found out!) in china too.

> How about something like Polident...???

That might be very effective in a small container like a denture cup, but I
think you'd have to use a lot of tablets to treat a large pitcher full of
water.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Solution: A more subtle problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 03:38:27p, Gloria P told us...

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> I use a smidgeon of bleach in my Fiesta iced tea pitcher and my white
>>> mugs when the tea stains get built up on them. I don't use anything
>>> plastic that would require treating, but it works like a charm (as you
>>> found out!) in china too.

>> How about something like Polident...???
>>

> Scrubbing lightly with a paste of baking soda and water usually works
> well on tea or coffee stains.
>
> gloria p

I'm sure that probably does work well, Gloria, but you have to remember
that I'm lazy and I wanted an effortless fix. :-) Actually, it didn't
occur to me to try baking soda, although I do use it for other cleaning
chores.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Solution: A more subtle problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 04:28:48a, jmcquown told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid
>> plastic lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea
>> stains had built up, even with frequent dishwashering.
>>
>> Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of
>> Clorox along with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot
>> water. Five minues later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them
>> through a dishwasher cycle and good as new. Whatever kind of plastic
>> these are made of, they do not retain odor or taste of any contents
>> they've held, neither tea nor bleach.
>>
>> But you probably already knew about this...

> I had to stop Mom from running bleach through her coffee maker. The

carafe
> had some tough stains and bleach was all she could think of to clean it.
> Um, you really don't want to be drinking that. White vinegar works a

treat

> Jill

Yes, white vinegar is great for cleaning the deposits in a coffee maker. I
use it for cleaning many other things too, since it never leaves a streak
on glass when diluted in water.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must chew holes in the bags of
clean kitty litter and spread it on
the floor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 05:13:10a, Michael "Dog3" told us...

> "jmcquown" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I had to stop Mom from running bleach through her coffee maker. The
>> carafe had some tough stains and bleach was all she could think of to
>> clean it. Um, you really don't want to be drinking that. White
>> vinegar works a treat

> I use white vinegar in the coffee maker also. They make an actual
> coffee pot cleaner that you can find in the supemarket. I've found that
> using ice cubes and kosher salt with a dab of water does a remarkable
> job on the actual glass pot itself and the glass iced tea pitchers. Just
> put in some ice, salt and some water and whirl it around real good.
> Rinse and clean as usual and it's clean.
>
> Michael

I use Lemi-Shine in my dishwasher, so my glass coffeemaker pot always stays
pristinely clean and shiny.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must chew holes in the bags of
clean kitty litter and spread it on
the floor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 06:55:49a, Phred told us...

> In article >, Wayne
> Boatwright > wrote:
>>Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid plastic
>>lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea stains had
>>built up, even with frequent dishwashering.
>>
>>Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox
>>along with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five
>>minues later, not a trace of tea stain.

> What's the advantage of bleached tea stain over plain brown tea stain?

It was ugly and nasty looking. Now it looks like new.

>> Put them through a dishwasher cycle and
>>good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of, they do not
>>retain odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither tea nor
>>bleach.
>>
>>But you probably already knew about this...

> Nah. I use things you can't see the tea stain in. (And a black
> coffee cup. ;-)
>
> Come to that, shouldn't the build up of tea stain in the right places
> be regarded in the same light as "seasoning" frying pans and woks?

I don't know about tea, but the residual oily deposits from brewing coffee
leave a really rank taste after a while.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must chew holes in the bags of
clean kitty litter and spread it on
the floor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 10:41:29a, Nancy2 told us...

> On May 28, 8:55*am, (Phred) wrote:
>> In article >, Wayne

Boat
>> wright > wrote:
>>
>> >Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid

plastic
>> >lidded pitchers for several years. *Still, over time, the tea stains ha

>> >built up, even with frequent dishwashering.

>> >Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox

al
>> >ong with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. *Five
>> >minues

>> >later, not a trace of tea stain.

>> What's the advantage of bleached tea stain over plain brown tea stain?
>>
>> > Put them through a dishwasher cycle and good as new. *Whatever kind of
>> > plastic these are made of, they do not r etain odor or taste of any
>> > contents they've held, neither tea nor bleach.

>> >But you probably already knew about this... *

>> Nah. *I use things you can't see the tea stain in. *(And a black
>> coffee cup. ;-)
>>
>> Come to that, shouldn't the build up of tea stain in the right places
>> be regarded in the same light as "seasoning" *frying pans and woks?
>>
>> Cheers, Phred.
>>
>> --
>>

> Staining fabrics with tea is a fabulous way to get exactly the right
> shade of ivory or ecru - I once died some lace the perfect color to
> extend the sleeves of a blouse. Works a treat and is pretty much
> permanent.
>
> N.

Agreed. It produces a beautiful color. I used it to give some white lace
curtains a nice aged look a few years ago.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must sleep in the middle of the
bed. The corners are not as comfy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 02:31:58p, Dimitri told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .120...
>> Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid
>> plastic lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea
>> stains had built up, even with frequent dishwashering.
>>
>> Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox
>> along with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five
>> minues later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them through a dishwasher
>> cycle and good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of,
>> they do not retain odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither
>> tea nor bleach.
>>
>> But you probably already knew about this...
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> FWIW granny used to stain many mugs as well as several teaspoons with
> her Irish Breakfast tea. I have had great success using just lemon
> juice either fresh or bottled to remove the stains - the lemon juice
> works in a snap and there are no worries about chemicals.

I didn't try lemon juice, but I did try vinegar once and it didn't do a
thing to remove the stains from the plastic.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must sleep in the middle of the
bed. The corners are not as comfy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid plastic
> lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea stains had
> built up, even with frequent dishwashering.
>
> Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox along
> with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five minues
> later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them through a dishwasher cycle and
> good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of, they do not retain
> odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither tea nor bleach.
>
> But you probably already knew about this...

I have a Sterlite brand one-gallon plastic pitcher I use for iced tea.
It doesn't stain. Hasn't in 4 years. It rinses clean and....ta! da! it
was $1 at a local dollar store.

If it ever does get stained, I'll replace it.

The ice tea of choice here is, of course, one-quart "family-size"
Luzianne tea bags.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 07:46:19p, Janet Wilder told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid
>> plastic lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea
>> stains had built up, even with frequent dishwashering.
>>
>> Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox
>> along with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five
>> minues later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them through a dishwasher
>> cycle and good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of,
>> they do not retain odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither
>> tea nor bleach.
>>
>> But you probably already knew about this...
>>

> I have a Sterlite brand one-gallon plastic pitcher I use for iced tea.
> It doesn't stain. Hasn't in 4 years. It rinses clean and....ta! da! it
> was $1 at a local dollar store.
>
> If it ever does get stained, I'll replace it.
>
> The ice tea of choice here is, of course, one-quart "family-size"
> Luzianne tea bags.

What else? For good old fashioned iced, I'll take Luzianne anytime. Now
and again, I like some Earl Grey iced tea.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
I'll be Bach! --Johann Sebastian
Schwarzenegger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Yes, white vinegar is great for cleaning the deposits in a coffee maker. I
> use it for cleaning many other things too, since it never leaves a streak
> on glass when diluted in water.

I throw some in the dishwasher every once in a while. Gets rid of any
mineral deposits
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 09:29:34p, Janet Wilder told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Yes, white vinegar is great for cleaning the deposits in a coffee
>> maker. I use it for cleaning many other things too, since it never
>> leaves a streak on glass when diluted in water.
>>

> I throw some in the dishwasher every once in a while. Gets rid of any
> mineral deposits

I used to do that in Cleveland, but our water here in Phoenix is so heavy
with minerals that vinegar just didn't cut it. I use Lemi-Shine in ever
load. If I didn't my glasses would look like milk glass. :-) (I don't
like water softeners - BTDT.)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 05(V)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> "jmcquown" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I had to stop Mom from running bleach through her coffee maker. The
>> carafe had some tough stains and bleach was all she could think of to
>> clean it. Um, you really don't want to be drinking that. White
>> vinegar works a treat

> I use white vinegar in the coffee maker also. They make an actual
> coffee pot cleaner that you can find in the supemarket.

We used to use that stuff in the coffee pots at the office. I believe the
coffee service company provided it. I'm not on the organic bandwagon but
the idea of putting a blue liquid something in my coffee pot doesn't appeal
anymore. Used to be I didn't mind it. <shrugs>

> that using ice cubes and kosher salt with a dab of water does a
> remarkable job on the actual glass pot itself and the glass iced tea
> pitchers. Just put in some ice, salt and some water and whirl it
> around real good. Rinse and clean as usual and it's clean.

I'd forgotten about this! We did this at two of the restaurants I worked
in - along with a few wedges of lemon added to the ice and salt. Works a
treat!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > Dumb Dora here has been making iced tea in a set of 2 very rigid plastic
> > lidded pitchers for several years. Still, over time, the tea stains had
> > built up, even with frequent dishwashering.
> >
> > Yesterday I had an "A Ha!" moment and poured in a few ounces of Clorox
> > along
> > with filling the pitchers to the brim with very hot water. Five minues
> > later, not a trace of tea stain. Put them through a dishwasher cycle and
> > good as new. Whatever kind of plastic these are made of, they do not
> > retain
> > odor or taste of any contents they've held, neither tea nor bleach.
> >
> > But you probably already knew about this...
> >

> I have a Sterlite brand one-gallon plastic pitcher I use for iced tea.
> It doesn't stain. Hasn't in 4 years. It rinses clean and....ta! da! it
> was $1 at a local dollar store.
>
> If it ever does get stained, I'll replace it.
>
> The ice tea of choice here is, of course, one-quart "family-size"
> Luzianne tea bags.

I'M SO JEALOUS!!! No store in WA carries Luzianne tea bags. I'm
tempted to buy a case off their website and give a few to friends to
show them what real iced tea is like.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> I'M SO JEALOUS!!! No store in WA carries Luzianne tea bags. I'm
> tempted to buy a case off their website and give a few to friends to
> show them what real iced tea is like.
>
> Cindy

I can send you some if you'd like?
Email if interested.
Goomba

How remove black tea stain notbob Tea 6 27-08-2015 03:44 PM
Tea stain notbob Tea 5 28-03-2015 03:33 PM
coriander stain in carpet elaich General Cooking 15 02-07-2009 01:30 PM
Need to clean a stain from a Butchers Block Kswck General Cooking 4 02-06-2005 11:21 PM
hollandaise stain :( JLove98905 General Cooking 20 14-04-2004 07:06 AM