Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Advice on storing flour, sugar, etc.

I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?

When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
etc. ? Brand names welcomed.

-Paul
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 27, 2:47*pm, meatnub > wrote:
> I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?

Of course, anything that's obviously going to be affected by heat
like milk, meat and butter. Herbs and spices shouldn't be kept
over the stove; they like cool, dry, dark storage. Or even the
freezer, but I never have the space for it.

I just put kitchenware in the cabinets above my stove.

> When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
> recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
> etc. ? Brand names welcomed.

Well, you can conceivably leave them in the bag, provided your house
isn't prone to infestations of bugs and mice. But that still leave
you
open to spillage.

I like Rubbermaid containers. I've got a couple that I think are (or
were)
part of their Servin' Saver line. They'll fit 5 lb of sugar and almost
5 lb of flour.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
meatnub > wrote:

> I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?
>
> When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
> recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
> etc. ? Brand names welcomed.

I always store my flour and sugar in airtight containers. The ones I
happen to have are plastic for flour and metal for sugar, but that's not
necessary.

If you find you get bugs in your flour, keep it in the freezer.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"meatnub" > wrote in message
>I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?

Food.

> When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
> recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
> etc. ? Brand names welcomed.
>
> -Paul

Sugar, air tight in a dark cool area.
Flour, air tight, plastic, freezer
Grains, air tight, plastic, freezer
Spices, air tight, freezer or dark cool area, depends on the spice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Woolstitcher wrote:

> Sugar, air tight in a dark cool area.

Air tight, yes. But sugar will not suffer from
light or temperature. A container of cool sugar
opened at room temperature in the kitchen could
condense moisture, which would be bad. Store it
in the kitchen, at or above the temperature at
which the container will be opened.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"meatnub" > wrote in message
> I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?
>
> When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
> recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
> etc. ? Brand names welcomed.
>
> -Paul

Oatmeal containers make nice cheap canisters. I store them at the back of my
countertop with magic marker labels on the plastic lid to identify the
contents. I have had no problems using them at all.

Hubert Liverman
(long time lurker...seldom poster)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nina > wrote:

>On Tue, 27 May 2008 11:47:07 -0700 (PDT), meatnub >

>>I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?

>>When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
>>recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
>>etc. ? Brand names welcomed.

>IMO, heat does not do anything any real good. So although there are
>certainly things that might not be hurt by heat (e.g., canned goods),
>I'd be a lot more inclined to use those cupboards as a home for
>infrequently used pots and pans or something like that.

Flour is okay in the freezer. If you're a frequent baker,
that's not needed, but if not it can get stale sitting around
at room temp or especially high room temp.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On May 27, 2:47 pm, meatnub > wrote:
> > I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?

> Of course, anything that's obviously going to be affected by heat
> like milk, meat and butter. Herbs and spices shouldn't be kept
> over the stove; they like cool, dry, dark storage. Or even the
> freezer, but I never have the space for it.
>
> I just put kitchenware in the cabinets above my stove.
>
> > When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
> > recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
> > etc. ? Brand names welcomed.

> Well, you can conceivably leave them in the bag, provided your house
> isn't prone to infestations of bugs and mice. But that still leave
> you
> open to spillage.
>
> I like Rubbermaid containers. I've got a couple that I think are (or
> were)
> part of their Servin' Saver line. They'll fit 5 lb of sugar and almost
> 5 lb of flour.

I use Rubbermaid containers for some of the kitchen staples that I use
frequently, like flour, sugars. rice and other raisins and other dried
fruits. They are good quality and the tops have stood up to many years of
frequent opening and closing. For other things I used cheaper plastic
containers. I recently visited a restaurant supply store to get a larger
container for flour. I buy flour in large bags because it is so much
cheaper per pound, but needed a proper bin to keep out bugs and other
vermin, not that it has ever been a problem, but I don't want it to become
a problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"meatnub" > wrote in message
>I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?
>
> When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
> recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
> etc. ? Brand names welcomed.
>
> -Paul

It really is pretty simple;

The enemies of any stored ingredients/foods a

Air
Moisture
Sunlight.
Temperature changes

Therefore you want to store any of the ingredients you have in airtight
opaque containers that do not impart any flavor themselves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

meatnub wrote:
> I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?
>
> When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
> recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
> etc. ? Brand names welcomed.
>
> -Paul

Store flour in any airtight container or a plastic bag over the original
bag, in the freezer to avoid getting flour beetles.

Store sugar in a tin or plastic container with a tight lid.
Do not store food over the stove. Use the area for bowls,
pans, etc. that won't be damamged by heat.

\gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hubert liverman wrote:
> "meatnub" > wrote in message
>> I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?
>>
>> When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
>> recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
>> etc. ? Brand names welcomed.
>>
>> -Paul

> Oatmeal containers make nice cheap canisters. I store them at the
> back of my countertop with magic marker labels on the plastic lid to
> identify the contents. I have had no problems using them at all.
>
> Hubert Liverman
> (long time lurker...seldom poster)

Hello Hubert. You can't lurk any more because we know you are there So,
you may as well keep posting)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 27-May-2008, Miche > wrote:
>
>> If you find you get bugs in your flour, keep it in the freezer.
>>
>> Miche

> I use a trick I read about years ago; in addition to keeping most of
> my flour in the freezer, I keep a few cups out in a canister with a
> bay leaf tucked inside. The bay leaf keeps away bugs but doesn't add
> any flavor (at least not enough to notice) to the flour.

Yep, the bay leaf in flour trick is handy. Also add a few grains of raw
rice to your salt shaker if you live in a humid climate.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 27, 1:47*pm, meatnub > wrote:
> I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?
>
> When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
> recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
> etc. ? Brand names welcomed.
>
> -Paul

I like my inexpensive, tightly-sealed, square-ish-shaped semi-clear-
with-white-lids sets from WalMart. I got two sets of 4, so I can put
garlic croutons in one; self-rising flour in one, flour, sugar, fish
mix (flour and corn meal) powdered sugar, oatmeal and brown sugar in
the others.

My staples are all behind cupboard doors, so I don't worry about
sunlight or whatever.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> meatnub wrote:
> > I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?

> > When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
> > recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
> > etc. ? Brand names welcomed.

> > -Paul

> Store flour in any airtight container or a plastic bag over the original
> bag, in the freezer to avoid getting flour beetles.

I see that 5 lb bags of flour are now offered by Gold Medal in plastic
bags. Is this something pretty new, or have I simply not been paying
attention?

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 3:01*pm, Gregory Morrow >
wrote:
> Gloria P wrote:
> > meatnub wrote:
> > > I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?

> > > When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
> > > recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
> > > etc. ? Brand names welcomed.

> > > -Paul

> > Store flour in any airtight container or a plastic bag over the original
> > bag, in the freezer to avoid getting flour beetles.

> I see that 5 lb bags of flour are now offered by Gold Medal in plastic
> bags. *Is this something pretty new, or have I simply not been paying
> attention?
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Flour in plastic bags? Powdered sugar is hard enough to control, I
can't imagine the amount of static electricity in plastic bags of
flour..... big mess.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> I see that 5 lb bags of flour are now offered by Gold Medal in plastic
> bags. Is this something pretty new, or have I simply not been paying
> attention?
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

It's either new, regional, or test marketing. The one I bought last
week is in the same old paper bag.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2008 13:01:48 -0700 (PDT), Gregory Morrow
> wrote:

>I see that 5 lb bags of flour are now offered by Gold Medal in plastic
>bags. Is this something pretty new, or have I simply not been paying
>attention?

They have been doing this for at least 5 years now. I get those bags
when I travel on a travel nursing contract, as they are easier to
transport.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

meatnub wrote:
> I have cabinets above my stove, what should I avoid storing there?
>
> When it comes to storing flour and sugar, does anyone have any
> recommendations for containers - air tight, glass or plastic, wooden,
> etc. ? Brand names welcomed.
>
> -Paul

If you are worried about insects, a big screw-top jar is best. I have
some plastic ones that came from industrial-size pickles or some such at
Sam's Club. I'm betting you can get a local restaurant to give you one
or two.
Bugs aren't a problem here. I have a set of very large plastic canisters
that I got at WalMart. The flour one holds 10 pounds and my scoop. The
next smaller one holds 5 pounds of sugar. I keep stuff I don't use much
like corn meal, brown sugar, in their original plastic bags inside a
squarish plastic canister also from WalMart, IIRC.

Spices stay in their original bottles except for the stuff I get at the
bulk foods which are in tiny plastic bags. If I can't find a jar to
transfer that to, I keep the plastic bags in another, smaller, plastic
canister. Whenever I get an empty spice jar, the contents of one of the
little bags gets a new home.

The only thing I keep over the stove are a few not-used-much appliances
and the stupid vacuum sealer that will go to the sale table at the next
neighborhood yard sale. It's a useless piece of **** AFAIC

Note: I don't keep much in the cabinet over the stove because it's high
and I'm low. <g>

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 9:59*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> If you are worried about insects, a big screw-top jar is best. I have
> some plastic ones that came from industrial-size pickles or some such at
> Sam's Club.

Sorry, I just can't resist...

Are industrial-size pickles like a foot in diameter and six feet
long? Or
are they bigger?

Cindy Hamilton

...so much for storing brown sugar Kalmia General Cooking 63 06-12-2014 08:51 AM
storing nut flour? Todd Diabetic 12 28-05-2013 09:34 PM
storing sugar john royce General Cooking 5 19-05-2009 12:54 AM
Advice on storing flour, sugar, etc. maxine in ri General Cooking 1 28-05-2008 02:04 AM
Storing rye flour? anthony Baking 2 23-10-2007 01:56 AM