Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cheesecake Plea

I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm cheesecakes,
but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past". My mother loved
cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant. The cheesecake was
quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. I've tried recipes that use cheeses
other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese,
etc., but haven't hit on the combination that creates that texture.

Any ideas?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 May 2008 02:33:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm cheesecakes,
>but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past". My mother loved
>cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant. The cheesecake was
>quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. I've tried recipes that use cheeses
>other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese,
>etc., but haven't hit on the combination that creates that texture.
>
>Any ideas?

I know the one you're talking about and don't like it. I thought
that's what a traditional NY cheesecake is.... tall and dry.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 26, 9:33*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm cheesecakes,
> but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past". *My mother loved
> cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant. *The cheesecake was
> quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. *I've tried recipes that use cheeses
> other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese,
> etc., but haven't hit on the combination that creates that texture.
>
> Any ideas? *

===================================

Wayne, this is Betty Crocker edition 1968. I have made dozens of these
for our synagogue brunches. It doesn't make a very tall cake, but it's
defintely crumbly (at least when I make it). I bake it till the top
cracks (Not de reguer) Also really good with Oreo crust or topped with
fruit.

"Company Cheesecake"

2 (8oz) packages cream cheese and one 3 oz. pkg
(or just use two and a half 8 oz pkgs)
1 cup sugar
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream and 2 or more tbs sugar (opt)

regular graham cracker crust in 9 -10"springform pan - baked 10
minutes @350

Set oven temp at 300 Beat softened cream cheese in large mixer
bowl. Add sugar gradually, beating untill mixture is fluffy. Add
lemon zest and vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time, Pour over crust.
BAke until firm in the middle (or cracked) Refrigerate at least 3
hours. If desired, mix sour cream and sugar for glaze and top cake
before serving

(Freezes well.) Thaw before serving

Lynn in Fargo
Cheapskate Cheesecake (only one and one fourth lbs of cream cheese!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 08:56:13p, sf told us...

> On Tue, 27 May 2008 02:33:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm
>>cheesecakes, but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past".
>>My mother loved cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant.
>> The cheesecake was quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. I've tried
>>recipes that use cheeses other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta,
>>farmer's cheese, cottage cheese, etc., but haven't hit on the
>>combination that creates that texture.
>>
>>Any ideas?

> I know the one you're talking about and don't like it. I thought
> that's what a traditional NY cheesecake is.... tall and dry.

I've eaten cheesecake in New York many times and, while I agree that most
versions are on the dryer side, they still weren't like this one I
remember. Neither Lindy's nor Turf cheesecake (two of the most common NYC
style cakes) are that dry. Neither tend toward being crumbly. Most New
York cheesecakes are based primarily on cream cheese. I don't think this
one was. I'm beginning to wonder if, in addtion to whatever kind of cheese
was used, there was also some significant amount of flour or cornstarch in
the mix.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 09:18:25p, Lynn from Fargo told us...

> On May 26, 9:33*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm

cheesecake
>> s, but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past". *My mother
>> lov ed cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant. *The
>> cheesecake was quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. *I've tried recipes
>> that use chees es other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta, farmer's

cheese,
>> cottage cheese, etc., but haven't hit on the combination that creates

that
>> texture.
>>
>> Any ideas? *
>>

> ==================================
> Wayne, this is Betty Crocker edition 1968. I have made dozens of these
> for our synagogue brunches. It doesn't make a very tall cake, but it's
> defintely crumbly (at least when I make it). I bake it till the top
> cracks (Not de reguer) Also really good with Oreo crust or topped with
> fruit.
>
> "Company Cheesecake"
>
> 2 (8oz) packages cream cheese and one 3 oz. pkg
> (or just use two and a half 8 oz pkgs)
> 1 cup sugar
> 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
> 1 tsp vanilla
> 3 eggs
> 1 cup sour cream and 2 or more tbs sugar (opt)
>
> regular graham cracker crust in 9 -10"springform pan - baked 10
> minutes @350
>
> Set oven temp at 300 Beat softened cream cheese in large mixer
> bowl. Add sugar gradually, beating untill mixture is fluffy. Add
> lemon zest and vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time, Pour over crust.
> BAke until firm in the middle (or cracked) Refrigerate at least 3
> hours. If desired, mix sour cream and sugar for glaze and top cake
> before serving
>
> (Freezes well.) Thaw before serving
>
> Lynn in Fargo
> Cheapskate Cheesecake (only one and one fourth lbs of cream cheese!)

Thanks, Lynn. I will definitely give this one a try. This looks similar
to some other cream cheesecakes I've made, except that it has a higher
proportion of egg to cheese. That may be the answer. Do you bake this one
in a deep pie plate or a springform pan? I have both.

Thanks again!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 09:18:25p, Lynn from Fargo told us...

> On May 26, 9:33*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm

cheesecake
>> s, but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past". *My mother
>> lov ed cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant. *The
>> cheesecake was quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. *I've tried recipes
>> that use chees es other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta, farmer's

cheese,
>> cottage cheese, etc., but haven't hit on the combination that creates

that
>> texture.
>>
>> Any ideas? *
>>

> ==================================
> Wayne, this is Betty Crocker edition 1968. I have made dozens of these
> for our synagogue brunches. It doesn't make a very tall cake, but it's
> defintely crumbly (at least when I make it). I bake it till the top
> cracks (Not de reguer) Also really good with Oreo crust or topped with
> fruit.
>
> "Company Cheesecake"
>
> 2 (8oz) packages cream cheese and one 3 oz. pkg
> (or just use two and a half 8 oz pkgs)
> 1 cup sugar
> 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
> 1 tsp vanilla
> 3 eggs
> 1 cup sour cream and 2 or more tbs sugar (opt)
>
> regular graham cracker crust in 9 -10"springform pan - baked 10
> minutes @350
>
> Set oven temp at 300 Beat softened cream cheese in large mixer
> bowl. Add sugar gradually, beating untill mixture is fluffy. Add
> lemon zest and vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time, Pour over crust.
> BAke until firm in the middle (or cracked) Refrigerate at least 3
> hours. If desired, mix sour cream and sugar for glaze and top cake
> before serving
>
> (Freezes well.) Thaw before serving
>
> Lynn in Fargo
> Cheapskate Cheesecake (only one and one fourth lbs of cream cheese!)

Oops, I wasn't paying attention! I see that it calls for a springform pan.
DUH!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Memorial Day
I've got Parkinson's disease. And he's
got mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm cheesecakes,
> but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past". My mother loved
> cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant. The cheesecake was
> quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. I've tried recipes that use cheeses
> other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese,
> etc., but haven't hit on the combination that creates that texture.

I used the recipe that came on the Philadelphia Cream Cheese package. It was
pretty good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm cheesecakes,
> but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past". My mother loved
> cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant. The cheesecake was
> quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. I've tried recipes that use cheeses
> other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese,
> etc., but haven't hit on the combination that creates that texture.

The recipe I posted some time back that uses ricotta and cream cheese as
well as sour cream will produce a similar texture. And once again,
cheesecake does not get a crust.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 21:18:25 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:
>
>"Company Cheesecake"
>
>2 (8oz) packages cream cheese and one 3 oz. pkg
>(or just use two and a half 8 oz pkgs)

do they still even make the small packages? the smallest i see are
eight oz., which is a little too much for me.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 27 May 2008 08:17:06a, Margaret Suran told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm
>> cheesecakes, but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past".
>> My mother loved cheesecake and would order it at a long gone
>> restaurant. The cheesecake was quite dry in texture, almost crumbly.
>> I've tried recipes that use cheeses other than cream cheese; e.g.,
>> ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese, etc., but haven't hit on the
>> combination that creates that texture.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> It sounds like the typical Italian Cheesecake. It's one I do not like,
> so I have never tried to duplicate it. As far as I am concerned, it has
> to be nice and creamy.

I have made some ricotta cheesecakes and they were close to what I
remember, but not quite the same. Unfortunately for my waistline, I like
*all* types of cheesecake, except the "unbaked" versions which I don't
really consider cheesecake.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 27 May 2008 08:43:50a, Dave Smith told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm
>> cheesecakes, but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past".
>> My mother loved cheesecake and would order it at a long gone
>> restaurant. The cheesecake was quite dry in texture, almost crumbly.
>> I've tried recipes that use cheeses other than cream cheese; e.g.,
>> ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese, etc., but haven't hit on the
>> combination that creates that texture.
>>

> I used the recipe that came on the Philadelphia Cream Cheese package. It
> was pretty good.

I'll have to look at that.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
My karma ran over my dogma

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 27 May 2008 09:10:13a, Pete C. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm
>> cheesecakes, but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past".
>> My mother loved cheesecake and would order it at a long gone
>> restaurant. The cheesecake was quite dry in texture, almost crumbly.
>> I've tried recipes that use cheeses other than cream cheese; e.g.,
>> ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese, etc., but haven't hit on the
>> combination that creates that texture.
>>

> The recipe I posted some time back that uses ricotta and cream cheese as
> well as sour cream will produce a similar texture. And once again,
> cheesecake does not get a crust.

I seem to remember when you posted that, but I didn't copy it down. Guess
I'll have to Google it.

Uh, *all* my cheesecakes have some sort of crust or other. Different
strokes.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
My karma ran over my dogma

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 27 May 2008 10:27:30a, blake murphy told us...

> On Mon, 26 May 2008 21:18:25 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> > wrote:
>>
>>"Company Cheesecake"
>>
>>2 (8oz) packages cream cheese and one 3 oz. pkg (or just use two and a
>>half 8 oz pkgs)

> do they still even make the small packages? the smallest i see are
> eight oz., which is a little too much for me.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yes, they do, Blake, but in the stores I shop in they seem to be harder to
find.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
My karma ran over my dogma

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm
> cheesecakes, but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past".
> My mother loved cheesecake and would order it at a long gone
> restaurant. The cheesecake was quite dry in texture, almost crumbly.
> I've tried recipes that use cheeses other than cream cheese; e.g.,
> ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese, etc., but haven't hit on the
> combination that creates that texture.

Lots of powdered milk?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 27 May 2008 11:24:11a, Steve Pope told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm
>> cheesecakes, but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past".
>> My mother loved cheesecake and would order it at a long gone
>> restaurant. The cheesecake was quite dry in texture, almost crumbly.
>> I've tried recipes that use cheeses other than cream cheese; e.g.,
>> ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese, etc., but haven't hit on the
>> combination that creates that texture.

> Lots of powdered milk?
>
> Steve

Maybe so. Might be worth an experiement. Thanks, Steve.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
'That aint the way I heerd it Johnny'
- The Old Timer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 27 May 2008 11:40:40a, Margaret Suran told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>>> It sounds like the typical Italian Cheesecake. It's one I do not like,
>>> so I have never tried to duplicate it. As far as I am concerned, it

has
>>> to be nice and creamy.

>> I have made some ricotta cheesecakes and they were close to what I
>> remember, but not quite the same. Unfortunately for my waistline, I

like
>> *all* types of cheesecake, except the "unbaked" versions which I don't
>> really consider cheesecake.
>>

> Wayne, what you really want, you will not get. Unfortunately.
>
> You would like your Mother to come and bake just one more cheesecake for
> you. You want to ask her for the recipe and ask her about a thousand
> questions. I suppose that you miss your Mother.
>
> Just as I miss mine. Every day something happens that makes me think of
> her. She was a bad cook, but over and over I will think: "This is not
> the way Mutti made it, how I wish I had asked her for her recipe, it was
> so much better than what I am making".

Margaret, I agree with you on every level of what you said. I am
fortunate, though, that I have all of my mother's recipes, even most that
she only had in her head, as I would discuss them with her and write them
down as she described making them.

As to the cheesecake, my mother never baked a cheesecake. Perhaps my
statement was misleading. This was a cheesecake that my mother would
always order at a certain restaurant when I was quite young. The
restaurant no longer exists. :-(

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
You know, that's a pretty daring move
for a weatherman.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Have you ever wondered why they call it cheescake when it seems more
like a pie?

Or, why is Boston Creme Pie more like a cake?

Libby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 27 May 2008 03:12:00p, Margaret Suran told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> As to the cheesecake, my mother never baked a cheesecake. Perhaps my
>> statement was misleading. This was a cheesecake that my mother would
>> always order at a certain restaurant when I was quite young. The
>> restaurant no longer exists. :-(
>>

> Yes, I should have read your original post more carefully. Sorry......

Not a problem, my dear Margaret.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Is there life before coffee?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 27 May 2008 05:37:46p, Fred/Libby Barclay told us...

> Have you ever wondered why they call it cheescake when it seems more
> like a pie?

Well, that can take two directions. There are cheesecakes that are of
smaller volumn that are baked in a pie plate, usually with a crumb crust,
and there are cheesecakes can are baked in springform pans that can be 3-4
inches thick with either a crumb or dough based crust that do not remotely
resemble a pie. Certainly, in any case, the texture of a cheesecake is
neither the texture of either a true cake or a true pie, IMHO.

> Or, why is Boston Creme Pie more like a cake?

That's a really good question, because this is clearly a cake, either one
thick layer split in two or two separate layers, both of which are filled
with a boiled custard filling, either topped with a chocolate glaze or
sprinkled with confectioners sugar.

Beats me! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Is there life before coffee?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm cheesecakes,
> but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past". My mother loved
> cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant. The cheesecake was
> quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. I've tried recipes that use cheeses
> other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese,
> etc., but haven't hit on the combination that creates that texture.

Sounds like my mother's new york italian cheesecake. I'll try to get
her recipe from her in the next day or so, and post it.

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 27 May 2008 09:17:33p, Serene told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm
>> cheesecakes, but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past".
>> My mother loved cheesecake and would order it at a long gone
>> restaurant. The cheesecake was quite dry in texture, almost crumbly.
>> I've tried recipes that use cheeses other than cream cheese; e.g.,
>> ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese, etc., but haven't hit on the
>> combination that creates that texture.

> Sounds like my mother's new york italian cheesecake. I'll try to get
> her recipe from her in the next day or so, and post it.
>
> Serene

Thank you, Serene. I would really appreciate that, and would like to try
it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in
Outer Space.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:21:54 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Uh, *all* my cheesecakes have some sort of crust or other. Different
>strokes.

My favorite cheesecake, which I can't duplicate either, has more of a
dusting of crumbs rather than a crust.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:23:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Tue 27 May 2008 10:27:30a, blake murphy told us...
>
>> On Mon, 26 May 2008 21:18:25 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>>"Company Cheesecake"
>>>
>>>2 (8oz) packages cream cheese and one 3 oz. pkg (or just use two and a
>>>half 8 oz pkgs)

>> do they still even make the small packages? the smallest i see are
>> eight oz., which is a little too much for me.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>Yes, they do, Blake, but in the stores I shop in they seem to be harder to
>find.

maybe i'll hector the store manager.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm cheesecakes,
> but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past". My mother loved
> cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant. The cheesecake was
> quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. I've tried recipes that use cheeses
> other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese,
> etc., but haven't hit on the combination that creates that texture.
>
> Any ideas?

Here's my mom's recipe, which she took the trouble to type out,
which I think was awesome of her since she doesn't type:

[Joan Vannoy's]
Foolproof Cheese Cake:

Cookie Crust:
Cream 2/3 cup sugar and 2/3 cup butter or margarine
mix in one egg and 1¾ cup flour
using a spatula coat the bottom and ¾ up the sides of
a springform pan
bake 5minutes at 425°

Filling:
Cream 3 (I use four because I like a solid cake) 8oz.
packages of softened cream cheese with 3/4 cup sugar
add 1 tsp. vanilla and 3 eggs (one at a time)
mix in 2 Tbs milk and 2 Tbs flour

Pour in baked crust and bake 10 minutes at 425°
Turn oven down to 250°, bake 30 minutes
Cool down, then cover with Comstock blueberry or
cherry pie filling

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 07:06:07a, sf told us...

> On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:21:54 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Uh, *all* my cheesecakes have some sort of crust or other. Different
>>strokes.

> My favorite cheesecake, which I can't duplicate either, has more of a
> dusting of crumbs rather than a crust.

Sometimes I make mine that way. I heavily butter the pan, then toss crumbs
around 'til they stick to the butter. Then I dump out the rest. Just
depends on my mood. I don't like extremely thick crumb crusts, however.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 10:42:03a, Serene told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm
>> cheesecakes, but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past".
>> My mother loved cheesecake and would order it at a long gone
>> restaurant. The cheesecake was quite dry in texture, almost crumbly.
>> I've tried recipes that use cheeses other than cream cheese; e.g.,
>> ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese, etc., but haven't hit on the
>> combination that creates that texture.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Here's my mom's recipe, which she took the trouble to type out,
> which I think was awesome of her since she doesn't type:
>
> [Joan Vannoy's]
> Foolproof Cheese Cake:
>
> Cookie Crust:
> Cream 2/3 cup sugar and 2/3 cup butter or margarine
> mix in one egg and 1¾ cup flour
> using a spatula coat the bottom and ¾ up the sides of
> a springform pan
> bake 5minutes at 425°
>
> Filling:
> Cream 3 (I use four because I like a solid cake) 8oz.
> packages of softened cream cheese with 3/4 cup sugar
> add 1 tsp. vanilla and 3 eggs (one at a time)
> mix in 2 Tbs milk and 2 Tbs flour
>
> Pour in baked crust and bake 10 minutes at 425°
> Turn oven down to 250°, bake 30 minutes
> Cool down, then cover with Comstock blueberry or
> cherry pie filling
>

> Serene

Serene, thank you *so* much, and please thank your mother for me, too. I
am happy to have it and looking forward to trying it. I suspect it may be
the flour that gives it the texture I'm looking for.

I appreciate this!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Cat Game #10: Hide and go puke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm cheesecakes,
>> but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past". My mother loved
>> cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant. The cheesecake was
>> quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. I've tried recipes that use cheeses
>> other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese,
>> etc., but haven't hit on the combination that creates that texture.
>>

> I used the recipe that came on the Philadelphia Cream Cheese package. It was
> pretty good.

I've used the one on the Keebler graham cracker crumb package with a few
moderations for sugar and fat content. It always makes a good cheese
cake. You can go for the full-fat cream cheese and sour cream and normal
eggs. 2 eggs replace 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters. We have to watch
cholesterol and carbohydrates here. Mexican vanilla gives it a real nice
kick.

* Exported from MasterCook *

New York Cheese Cake

Recipe By :Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes

2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter -- melted (unsalted)
1 cup Splenda -- divided
2 lb Neufchatel cheese -- room temp
1/2 cup Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsps corn starch
1 cup low-fat sour cream

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a bowl, place cracker crumbs,
margarine and 2 tablespoons Splenda; blend well. Reserve 2 tablespoons
for garnish. Press remaining mixture onto bottom and sides of a
greased 9 inch springform pan. Chill in freezer or fridge while making
filling.

In a mixer bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining Splenda until smooth
and light. Beat in eggs (or Egg Beaters), vanilla and corn starch, just
until blended. Stir in sour cream. Pour mixture into springform pan
and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 200 degrees F and bake
for 45 minutes. Turn off oven; allow to cool with the door opened
slightly for 3 hours.

Remove sides from pan; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture and chill.

Source:
"modified from Keebler crumb box"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm cheesecakes,
> but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past". My mother loved
> cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant. The cheesecake was
> quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. I've tried recipes that use cheeses
> other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese,
> etc., but haven't hit on the combination that creates that texture.
>
> Any ideas?

I am thinking that that cheese cake was made with "pot cheese" which is
not available any longer, or if it is, it's pretty arcane.

Pot cheese was a large curd cottage cheese-type product that was much,
much drier than any cottage cheese. It seems to have evaporated from the
market in the 70s or 80s. It was the best cheese for blintzes, pirogies
and other things to stuff.

I'm betting that cheese was in the mixture of the cake your mom loved.
You could experiment with baker's cheese which is drier than cottage cheese.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:21:54 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> Uh, *all* my cheesecakes have some sort of crust or other. Different
>> strokes.

> My favorite cheesecake, which I can't duplicate either, has more of a
> dusting of crumbs rather than a crust.

I've been making a "bottom layer" of ground nuts mixed with a little
melted butter and a dash of Splenda to keep the carb count down. I
haven't yet gotten the hang of baking a cheese cake with a naked bottom.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 06:01:30p, Janet Wilder told us...

> Dave Smith wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm
>>> cheesecakes, but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past".
>>> My mother loved cheesecake and would order it at a long gone
>>> restaurant. The cheesecake was quite dry in texture, almost crumbly.
>>> I've tried recipes that use cheeses other than cream cheese; e.g.,
>>> ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese, etc., but haven't hit on the
>>> combination that creates that texture.
>>>

>> I used the recipe that came on the Philadelphia Cream Cheese package.
>> It was pretty good.
>>

> I've used the one on the Keebler graham cracker crumb package with a few
> moderations for sugar and fat content. It always makes a good cheese
> cake. You can go for the full-fat cream cheese and sour cream and normal
> eggs. 2 eggs replace 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters. We have to watch
> cholesterol and carbohydrates here. Mexican vanilla gives it a real nice
> kick.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> New York Cheese Cake
>
> Recipe By :Janet Wilder
> Categories : cakes

> 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
> 1/2 cup butter -- melted (unsalted)
> 1 cup Splenda -- divided
> 2 lb Neufchatel cheese -- room temp
> 1/2 cup Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute
> 1 tsp vanilla
> 2 tbsps corn starch
> 1 cup low-fat sour cream
>
> Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a bowl, place cracker crumbs,
> margarine and 2 tablespoons Splenda; blend well. Reserve 2 tablespoons
> for garnish. Press remaining mixture onto bottom and sides of a
> greased 9 inch springform pan. Chill in freezer or fridge while making
> filling.
>
> In a mixer bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining Splenda until smooth
> and light. Beat in eggs (or Egg Beaters), vanilla and corn starch, just
> until blended. Stir in sour cream. Pour mixture into springform pan
> and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 200 degrees F and bake
> for 45 minutes. Turn off oven; allow to cool with the door opened
> slightly for 3 hours.
>
> Remove sides from pan; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture and chill.
>

> Source:
> "modified from Keebler crumb box"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Janet, I've made this one from Keebler and it's very good, but not the dry
type I'm looking for. The Keebler recipe is very reliable and does produce
a very tasty cheesecake.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
You own a dog, but you can only feed a cat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 06:06:01p, Janet Wilder told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm
>> cheesecakes, but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past".
>> My mother loved cheesecake and would order it at a long gone
>> restaurant. The cheesecake was quite dry in texture, almost crumbly.
>> I've tried recipes that use cheeses other than cream cheese; e.g.,
>> ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese, etc., but haven't hit on the
>> combination that creates that texture.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> I am thinking that that cheese cake was made with "pot cheese" which is
> not available any longer, or if it is, it's pretty arcane.
>
> Pot cheese was a large curd cottage cheese-type product that was much,
> much drier than any cottage cheese. It seems to have evaporated from the
> market in the 70s or 80s. It was the best cheese for blintzes, pirogies
> and other things to stuff.
>
> I'm betting that cheese was in the mixture of the cake your mom loved.
> You could experiment with baker's cheese which is drier than cottage
> cheese.

You might have just hit upon the problem. I haven't even seen baker's
cheese in a long while, but I may try looking at a specialty market.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
You can't believe anyone but yourself
-- and don't trust yourself too completely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 06:07:29p, Janet Wilder told us...

> sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:21:54 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Uh, *all* my cheesecakes have some sort of crust or other. Different
>>> strokes.

>> My favorite cheesecake, which I can't duplicate either, has more of a
>> dusting of crumbs rather than a crust.
>>

> I've been making a "bottom layer" of ground nuts mixed with a little
> melted butter and a dash of Splenda to keep the carb count down. I
> haven't yet gotten the hang of baking a cheese cake with a naked bottom.
> I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I prefer some sort of crust, but have made cheesecakes without them for
people who prefer it without. All you really need to do is generously
butter the bottom and sides of the pan. If you're using a springform pan,
be sure to wrap the outside in a double layer of foil, as the butter may
seep out during the early stages of baking.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
You can't believe anyone but yourself
-- and don't trust yourself too completely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 28 May 2008 10:42:03a, Serene told us...
>
>> Here's my mom's recipe, which she took the trouble to type out,
>> which I think was awesome of her since she doesn't type:
>>
>> [Joan Vannoy's]
>> Foolproof Cheese Cake:

> Serene, thank you *so* much, and please thank your mother for me, too. I
> am happy to have it and looking forward to trying it. I suspect it may be
> the flour that gives it the texture I'm looking for.
>
> I appreciate this!

You're very welcome. Mom's happy that you appreciated her effort. :-)

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 May 2008 02:33:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> fired up random neurons and synapses
to opine:

>I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm cheesecakes,
>but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past". My mother loved
>cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant. The cheesecake was
>quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. I've tried recipes that use cheeses
>other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese,
>etc., but haven't hit on the combination that creates that texture.

Wayne <waving finger at other posters> fuhgeddabout anything other
than my absolute *fave* cheesecake, Lindy's, from a 70s Craig
Claiborne cookbook:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Lindy's Famous Cheesecake

desserts

1 cup flour; sifted
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup butter; softened
Filling:
5 8 oz. cream cheese; softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup heavy cream
frozen strawberries; thawed

In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, lemon peel and vanilla. Make
well in center; add egg yolk and butter. Mix with fingertips until
dough cleans side of bowl. Form into a ball and wrap in waxed paper.
Refrigerate for one hour.

Preheat oven to 400F. Grease the bottom and side of a 9" springform
pan. Remove the side from the pan. Roll one third of dough on bottom
of springform pan; trim edge of dough. Bake 8 - 10 mins, or until
golden.

Meanwhile, divide dough into 3 parts. Roll each part into a 2 1/2"
strip, 10" long. Put together springform pan, with the baked crust on
the bottom. Fit dough strips to side of pan, joining ends to line
inside completely. Trim dough so it comes only 3/4 of the way up side
of pan. Refrigerate until ready to fill.

Preheat oven to 500F. Make Filling: In a large bowl of electric mixer,
combine cheese, sugar, flour, lemon and orange peel, and vanilla. Beat
at high speed, just to blend. Beat in eggs and egg yolks, one at a
time. Add cream, beating just until well combined. Pour mixture into
springform pan. Bake 10 mins. Reduce temperature to 250F and bake 1
hour longer.

Let cheesecake cool in wire rack. Glaze top with strawberries.
Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. To serve, loosen pastry from side of
pan with spatula. Remove side of springform pan. Cut cheesecake into
wedges.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 07:24:45p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

> On Tue, 27 May 2008 02:33:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > fired up random neurons and synapses
> to opine:
>
>>I have lots of nice cheesecake recipes that produce creamy firm
>>cheesecakes, but I'm lookinig for a cheesecake from "out of the past".
>>My mother loved cheesecake and would order it at a long gone restaurant.
>> The cheesecake was quite dry in texture, almost crumbly. I've tried
>>recipes that use cheeses other than cream cheese; e.g., ricotta,
>>farmer's cheese, cottage cheese, etc., but haven't hit on the
>>combination that creates that texture.

Terry, this one certainly looks worth a try. It looks quite similar to a
recipe I have in a book called "Joy of Cheesecake", but I'm not sure. Does
it have a really solid texture on the dry side?

Thanks for posting this!

> Wayne <waving finger at other posters> fuhgeddabout anything other
> than my absolute *fave* cheesecake, Lindy's, from a 70s Craig
> Claiborne cookbook:
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Lindy's Famous Cheesecake
>
> desserts
>
> 1 cup flour; sifted
> 1/4 cup sugar
> 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
> 1 egg yolk
> 1/4 cup butter; softened
> Filling:
> 5 8 oz. cream cheese; softened
> 1 3/4 cups sugar
> 3 tablespoons flour
> 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
> 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
> 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
> 5 eggs
> 2 egg yolks
> 1/4 cup heavy cream
> frozen strawberries; thawed
>
> In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, lemon peel and vanilla. Make
> well in center; add egg yolk and butter. Mix with fingertips until
> dough cleans side of bowl. Form into a ball and wrap in waxed paper.
> Refrigerate for one hour.
>
> Preheat oven to 400F. Grease the bottom and side of a 9" springform
> pan. Remove the side from the pan. Roll one third of dough on bottom
> of springform pan; trim edge of dough. Bake 8 - 10 mins, or until
> golden.
>
> Meanwhile, divide dough into 3 parts. Roll each part into a 2 1/2"
> strip, 10" long. Put together springform pan, with the baked crust on
> the bottom. Fit dough strips to side of pan, joining ends to line
> inside completely. Trim dough so it comes only 3/4 of the way up side
> of pan. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
>
> Preheat oven to 500F. Make Filling: In a large bowl of electric mixer,
> combine cheese, sugar, flour, lemon and orange peel, and vanilla. Beat
> at high speed, just to blend. Beat in eggs and egg yolks, one at a
> time. Add cream, beating just until well combined. Pour mixture into
> springform pan. Bake 10 mins. Reduce temperature to 250F and bake 1
> hour longer.
>
> Let cheesecake cool in wire rack. Glaze top with strawberries.
> Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. To serve, loosen pastry from side of
> pan with spatula. Remove side of springform pan. Cut cheesecake into
> wedges.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> --
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
> old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
> waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."
>
> -- Duncan Hines
>
> To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
'More hay, Trigger?' 'No thanks, Roy,
I'm stuffed!'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2008 20:07:29 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>I've been making a "bottom layer" of ground nuts mixed with a little
>melted butter and a dash of Splenda to keep the carb count down. I
>haven't yet gotten the hang of baking a cheese cake with a naked bottom.
>I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I have a feeling this particular cheesecake is actually presented
upside down, although I haven't fully investigated the idea by careful
inspection of an uncut cake turned "over". Next time, try Wayne's
idea of "dusting", with a heavier dusting on the bottom. When cooled,
invert and remove the springform.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2008 01:57:47 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>If you're using a springform pan,
>be sure to wrap the outside in a double layer of foil, as the butter may
>seep out during the early stages of baking.

I use springform pans for cheesecake, no need to wrap them in foil....
maybe mine are tighter, but they are old and I didn't break the bank
buying them. I think I may have purchased them from Cost Plus - 30+
years ago.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 28 May 2008 08:17:27p, sf told us...

> On Thu, 29 May 2008 01:57:47 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>If you're using a springform pan,
>>be sure to wrap the outside in a double layer of foil, as the butter may
>>seep out during the early stages of baking.

> I use springform pans for cheesecake, no need to wrap them in foil....
> maybe mine are tighter, but they are old and I didn't break the bank
> buying them. I think I may have purchased them from Cost Plus - 30+
> years ago.

I only suggest that because I have had them leak butter if there are no
crumbs. It was messy.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Preserve nature... pickle a squirrel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 28 May 2008 06:07:29p, Janet Wilder told us...
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:21:54 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>> My favorite cheesecake, which I can't duplicate either, has more of a
>>> dusting of crumbs rather than a crust.
>>>

>> I've been making a "bottom layer" of ground nuts mixed with a little
>> melted butter and a dash of Splenda to keep the carb count down. I
>> haven't yet gotten the hang of baking a cheese cake with a naked bottom.
>> I'd appreciate any suggestions.
>>

> I prefer some sort of crust, but have made cheesecakes without them for
> people who prefer it without. All you really need to do is generously
> butter the bottom and sides of the pan. If you're using a springform pan,
> be sure to wrap the outside in a double layer of foil, as the butter may
> seep out during the early stages of baking.

Thanks, Wayne. I'll give it a try on my next cheese cake.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008 20:07:29 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> I've been making a "bottom layer" of ground nuts mixed with a little
>> melted butter and a dash of Splenda to keep the carb count down. I
>> haven't yet gotten the hang of baking a cheese cake with a naked bottom.
>> I'd appreciate any suggestions.

> I have a feeling this particular cheesecake is actually presented
> upside down, although I haven't fully investigated the idea by careful
> inspection of an uncut cake turned "over". Next time, try Wayne's
> idea of "dusting", with a heavier dusting on the bottom. When cooled,
> invert and remove the springform.

I might not have enough courage to try that <g>