Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Does anybody have a good Pimento Cheese recipe? Jill? George?

I know it's basically shredded sharp cheddar, chopped jarred pimentos (I
think jarred roasted red peppers might be better), maybe some Velveeta*,
and mayo. But what else does it need? A little mustard powder, or
grated onion, or L&P Worcestershire, or cayenne, a pinch of sugar...

DD has decided at the last minute that she wants a high school
graduation party after all. We're gonna have the barbecue catered (if
it's not too late to order it) but I'm trying to pull together some
backup plans in case we run out. Ten pounds of cheese spread and a
whole roast turkey (chopped) and rolls will feed a lot of people, and it
will also freeze OK if nobody shows up.

I mentioned Jill and George because pimento cheese is mostly a Southern
thang. But it's good enough for Augusta...

*I think 2 pounds of Velveeta with 5 pounds of sharp cheddar would be a
good ratio. Seriously. But I could be badly mistaken.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I know it's basically shredded sharp cheddar, chopped jarred pimentos (I
> think jarred roasted red peppers might be better), maybe some Velveeta*,
> and mayo. But what else does it need? A little mustard powder, or
> grated onion, or L&P Worcestershire, or cayenne, a pinch of sugar...

I'd go with Emeril's recipe:

2 cups grated Cheddar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped pimientos
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients together.

I would *not* use roasted red peppers in place of the pimientos. The
pimientos have a nice sweet-and-sour piquancy to them which roasted red
peppers would not have. If you want to substitute for the pimientos, you
might try chopped peppadews instead. And you could up the proportion of
pimientos so that you have more of them than you have pickle relish.

Also, I'd substitute Wickle's pickle relish for the sweet pickle relish.
It's kind of sweet-sour-spicy; everybody I know who has tried Wickle's has
liked it. If you want to, you could bring some pickle brine to a boil and
soak a few tablespoons of mustard seeds in it to add to the pimiento cheese;
that would add a bit of "bite" to it, as well as a rather pleasant little
crunch.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> I know it's basically shredded sharp cheddar, chopped jarred pimentos (I
>> think jarred roasted red peppers might be better), maybe some Velveeta*,
>> and mayo. But what else does it need? A little mustard powder, or
>> grated onion, or L&P Worcestershire, or cayenne, a pinch of sugar...

> I'd go with Emeril's recipe:
>
> 2 cups grated Cheddar
> 1/2 cup mayonnaise
> 1/4 cup finely chopped pimientos
> 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
> 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>
> Mix all ingredients together.
>

> I would *not* use roasted red peppers in place of the pimientos. The
> pimientos have a nice sweet-and-sour piquancy to them which roasted red
> peppers would not have. If you want to substitute for the pimientos, you
> might try chopped peppadews instead. And you could up the proportion of
> pimientos so that you have more of them than you have pickle relish.
>
> Also, I'd substitute Wickle's pickle relish for the sweet pickle relish.
> It's kind of sweet-sour-spicy; everybody I know who has tried Wickle's
> has liked it. If you want to, you could bring some pickle brine to a
> boil and soak a few tablespoons of mustard seeds in it to add to the
> pimiento cheese; that would add a bit of "bite" to it, as well as a
> rather pleasant little crunch.
>

> Bob

Thanks. And I like the boiled mustard seeds idea.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> I know it's basically shredded sharp cheddar, chopped jarred pimentos
> (I think jarred roasted red peppers might be better), maybe some
> Velveeta*, and mayo. But what else does it need? A little mustard
> powder, or grated onion, or L&P Worcestershire, or cayenne, a pinch of
> sugar...
>
> DD has decided at the last minute that she wants a high school
> graduation party after all. We're gonna have the barbecue catered (if
> it's not too late to order it) but I'm trying to pull together some
> backup plans in case we run out. Ten pounds of cheese spread and a
> whole roast turkey (chopped) and rolls will feed a lot of people, and
> it will also freeze OK if nobody shows up.
>
> I mentioned Jill and George because pimento cheese is mostly a
> Southern thang. But it's good enough for Augusta...
>
> *I think 2 pounds of Velveeta with 5 pounds of sharp cheddar would be
> a good ratio. Seriously. But I could be badly mistaken.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

All 1 type of dip isn't as good as several dips...

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Hummus Dip

1 cup Garbanzo beans drained
1 clove Garlic
3 tbsp Tahini (crushed sesame seeds)
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Salt]
1/2 cup Lemon juice
Water

Place drained beans in blender. Add all other ingredients and then add
enough water to almost cover beans. Blend until smooth. Pour into
serving dish. Pour thin layer of olive oil on top and sprinkle with
parsley. Serve with pita bread.

Yield: 1 servings

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Spicy Dill Dip

none

1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill(or 2 tspns dried dillweed)
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced green onion
1 tablespoon chili sauce
1 garlic clove; minced
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt; to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper; to taste

Combine all ingredients in bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Refrigerate until well chilled.

This recipe yields about 1 cup.

Comments: This works equally well with raw vegetables or chips -- or as
a sauce for cold poached salmon or shrimp.

Source:
"Bon Appétit, November 1991"
S(Formatted for MC6):
"01-23-2002 by Joe Comiskey - "
Yield:
"1 cup"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Contributor: Kay Schlozman, Brookline, MA

Yield: 0 servings

Preparation Time: 0:00

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Shrimp And Spinach Dip

none

3/4 cup Cream cheese; softened
1/2 cup Chopped fresh spinach
1/4 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Sour cream
1/4 cup Chopped fresh dill
1/4 cup Chopped fresh parsley
3 Green onions; chopped
2 tablespoons Lemon juice
1 centiliter Garlic; minced
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1 pound Cooked shrimp

In blender or food processor, blend cream cheese, spinach, mayonnaise,
sour cream, dill, parsley, onions, lemon juice, garlic and pepper.

Chop shrimp coarsely; add to blender and process until finely chopped
but not pureed. Makes 3 cups, about 12 appetizers.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chili-Cheese Taco Dip

Recipe By :n/a
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 pound hamburger
1 can chili (no beans)
1 pound mild Mexican Velveeta cheese -- cubed or
shredded

Brown hamburger; drain and place in slow cooker. Add chili and cheese;
cover and cook on LOW until cheese is melted, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours,
stirring occasionally to blend ingredients.
Serve warm with taco or tortilla chips.
This recipe yields ?? servings.

Source:
"Southern U.S. Cuisine (crockpot collection) at
http://southernfood.about.com"
S(Formatted for MC5):
"08-08-1999 by Joe Comiskey -
"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1385 Calories; 60g Fat (38.3%
calories from fat); 62g Protein; 154g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber;
177mg Cholesterol; 1952mg Sodium. Exchanges: 10 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2
Lean Meat; 9 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Alan's Pico De Gallo Salsa

none

2 or 3 serrano or jalapeno chiles,; stems & seeds removed,
1 or 2 bell peppers (red, green, yellow); your choice chopped
1 large red onion, finely chopped
4 medium roma tomatoes, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped; or more
1/4 bunch finely chopped cilantro
1 juice of 1 fresh lime

Finely chop the garlic and cilantro. Chop the other ingredients a lot or
a little. To make a chunky to your choice Salsa.
Squeeze the juice of the lime over the combined ingredients. Be sure hot
peppers are seeded and the white parts has been removed. A little salt
doesn't hurt.

Notes...
juicer tomatoes work well too.
If no hot peppers use hot sauce instead and add more coloured bell
peppers. Be sure to wash hands well after handling hot peppers.
Let the salsa rest in the fridge a couple of hours to over nite to let
the flavours mix well.
Good with corn chips or on fajitas or tacos...Even ok on pasta.
Lemon juice or vinegar can replace the lime . But fresh lime juice is
the best.
Coloured bell peppers make it look nicer but green peppers are cheaper
and work well too.

Contributor: Alan

Yield: 1batch/jarfull

Preparation Time: 00:20

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept
falling over...when he got to a teller he asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 22:04:38 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>*I think 2 pounds of Velveeta with 5 pounds of sharp cheddar would be a
>good ratio. Seriously. But I could be badly mistaken.

You want to make 7+ pounds of pimento spread?
Who are you trying to kill?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2008 22:04:38 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> *I think 2 pounds of Velveeta with 5 pounds of sharp cheddar would be a
>> good ratio. Seriously. But I could be badly mistaken.

> You want to make 7+ pounds of pimento spread?
> Who are you trying to kill?

About 40 or 50 high-school seniors. Or if they don't show up, that'll
last us about a month. :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 23 May 2008 08:04:38p, zxcvbob told us...

> I know it's basically shredded sharp cheddar, chopped jarred pimentos (I
> think jarred roasted red peppers might be better), maybe some Velveeta*,
> and mayo. But what else does it need? A little mustard powder, or
> grated onion, or L&P Worcestershire, or cayenne, a pinch of sugar...

This is one my aunt has made for years. We like it...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sissie's Pimiento Cheese Spread

Recipe By :Elizabeth Bain
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 pounds Velveeta cheese -- cut in cubes
1/2 pound Swiss cheese -- coarsely shredded
1/2 pound Colby or mild Cheddar cheese -- coarsely shredded
2 small jars diced pimientos
3/4 cup Mayonnaise
3/4 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt -- to taste

Have all ingredients at room temperature.

Combine mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, sugar, dry mustard, Worcestershire
sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Whisk
together until well-blended. Stir in pimientos.

In a medium sauce pan or microwave-safe mixing bowl, heat Velveeta slowly
just enough to soften and slightly melt.

Add Swiss cheese and colby cheese to Velveeta, stirring just to blend.
(Shredded cheese should not be melted, although it will soften.)

Add mayonnaise mixsture to cheese mixture and stir to mix well. Turn
into covered bowl or crock and refrigerate until well-chilled.

This makes an excellent spread for crackers or sandwiches. Will keep a

week refrigerated if it lasts that long!

NOTES : you can adjust the amount of pimientos, seasonings, and mayo and
Miracle Whip to suit your tastes. The ratio of cheeses and mayo and MW
should remain the same.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 05(V)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I know it's basically shredded sharp cheddar, chopped jarred pimentos (I
>think jarred roasted red peppers might be better), maybe some Velveeta*,
>and mayo. But what else does it need? A little mustard powder, or
>grated onion, or L&P Worcestershire, or cayenne, a pinch of sugar...

This is the recipe I use. It is from James Villas...who grew up in
North Carolina.

Charlotte and Tammy can attest to it being very, very good.

Christine

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pimiento Cheese

Recipe By :James Villas

1/2 pound extra sharp cheddar cheese -- grated
1 4 ounce jar pimientos -- drained and finely chopped
1/2 cup green olives (optional) -- finely chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise -- homemade or Hellmans
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
black pepper to taste
Tabasco sauce to taste

Add pimentos to grated cheese in mixing bowl, and optional olives. Mix
well. Add the mayonnaise, lemon juice,Worcestershire sauce, pepper
and Tabasco Sauce. Using a fork, stir and mash the mixture til blended
and almost a chunky paste. Scrape the mixture into a crock and serve
with crackers as a canape. Keeps up to a week in the fridge.

Source:
"My Mother's Southern Kitchen"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 23:43:09 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 May 2008 22:04:38 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> *I think 2 pounds of Velveeta with 5 pounds of sharp cheddar would be a
>>> good ratio. Seriously. But I could be badly mistaken.

>> You want to make 7+ pounds of pimento spread?
>> Who are you trying to kill?
>>

>About 40 or 50 high-school seniors. Or if they don't show up, that'll
>last us about a month. :-)

HA! It all makes sense now - teenagers. Can't live with them...

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> I know it's basically shredded sharp cheddar, chopped jarred pimentos (I
>> think jarred roasted red peppers might be better), maybe some Velveeta*,
>> and mayo. But what else does it need? A little mustard powder, or
>> grated onion, or L&P Worcestershire, or cayenne, a pinch of sugar...

> I'd go with Emeril's recipe:
>
> 2 cups grated Cheddar
> 1/2 cup mayonnaise
> 1/4 cup finely chopped pimientos
> 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
> 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>
> Mix all ingredients together.

Gadzooks! NO way, Jose! That would NOT fly at Augusta. no pickle relish!!
Otherwise everything else sounds good...
Goomba (who eats her Pimento cheese @ Augusta yearly!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> I know it's basically shredded sharp cheddar, chopped jarred pimentos (I
> think jarred roasted red peppers might be better), maybe some Velveeta*,
> and mayo. But what else does it need? A little mustard powder, or
> grated onion, or L&P Worcestershire, or cayenne, a pinch of sugar...
>
> DD has decided at the last minute that she wants a high school
> graduation party after all. We're gonna have the barbecue catered (if
> it's not too late to order it) but I'm trying to pull together some
> backup plans in case we run out. Ten pounds of cheese spread and a
> whole roast turkey (chopped) and rolls will feed a lot of people, and it
> will also freeze OK if nobody shows up.
>
> I mentioned Jill and George because pimento cheese is mostly a Southern
> thang. But it's good enough for Augusta...
>
> *I think 2 pounds of Velveeta with 5 pounds of sharp cheddar would be a
> good ratio. Seriously. But I could be badly mistaken.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

If you're talking about this George I buy mine ready made. To much
trouble to make it for the few times a year we might eat the stuff.

Your daughter is graduating High School? Seems like just yesterday you
were teaching a little girl how to make jam and to shoot a gun.

Congratulations to she and her family.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:26:20 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>I'd go with Emeril's recipe:
>
>2 cups grated Cheddar
>1/2 cup mayonnaise
>1/4 cup finely chopped pimientos
>1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
>1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>1/4 teaspoon salt

And a quarter teaspoon garlic powder works too also. A grated small
Vidalia is nice too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:
>On Fri, 23 May 2008 22:04:38 -0500, zxcvbob >
>wrote:
>
>>I know it's basically shredded sharp cheddar, chopped jarred pimentos (I
>>think jarred roasted red peppers might be better), maybe some Velveeta*,
>>and mayo. But what else does it need? A little mustard powder, or
>>grated onion, or L&P Worcestershire, or cayenne, a pinch of sugar...
>>

>This is the recipe I use. It is from James Villas...who grew up in
>North Carolina.
>
>Charlotte and Tammy can attest to it being very, very good.
>
>Christine
>

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Pimiento Cheese
>
>Recipe By :James Villas

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 1/2 pound extra sharp cheddar cheese -- grated
> 1 4 ounce jar pimientos -- drained and finely chopped
> 1/2 cup green olives (optional) -- finely chopped
> 1/2 cup mayonnaise -- homemade or Hellmans
> 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
> 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
> black pepper to taste
> Tabasco sauce to taste
>
>Add pimentos to grated cheese in mixing bowl, and optional olives. Mix
>well. Add the mayonnaise, lemon juice,Worcestershire sauce, pepper
>and Tabasco Sauce. Using a fork, stir and mash the mixture til blended
>and almost a chunky paste. Scrape the mixture into a crock and serve
>with crackers as a canape. Keeps up to a week in the fridge.
>
>Source:
> "My Mother's Southern Kitchen"

This _is_ very, very good and couldn't be simpler.

My understanding from "Being Dead is No Excuse" that PC eaters (like
devilled egg eaters) align in two camps, the "sweet" and the "savory".
This is very deliciously savory.

Sweet pickles and sweet pickle relish are on my shortlist of "Foods I
don't like". Obviously, others' mileage will vary.

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>I know it's basically shredded sharp cheddar, chopped jarred pimentos (I
>think jarred roasted red peppers might be better), maybe some Velveeta*,
>and mayo. But what else does it need? A little mustard powder, or grated
>onion, or L&P Worcestershire, or cayenne, a pinch of sugar...
>
> DD has decided at the last minute that she wants a high school graduation
> party after all. We're gonna have the barbecue catered (if it's not too
> late to order it) but I'm trying to pull together some backup plans in
> case we run out. Ten pounds of cheese spread and a whole roast turkey
> (chopped) and rolls will feed a lot of people, and it will also freeze OK
> if nobody shows up.
>
> I mentioned Jill and George because pimento cheese is mostly a Southern
> thang. But it's good enough for Augusta...
>
> *I think 2 pounds of Velveeta with 5 pounds of sharp cheddar would be a
> good ratio. Seriously. But I could be badly mistaken.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

How much of this stuff do you need? 10 pounds of cheese spread? How many
people? 10 pounds is 160 ounces 1 ounce per person is a lot.

Buy a jar or 2.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/Product...uct=2100061257

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 23:02:48 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>This is the recipe I use. It is from James Villas...who grew up in
>North Carolina.

.... and whose essay on pimento cheese, "P.C. and Proud of It" is as
fine a tribute to pimento cheese as will ever be written.

Do you add the optional olives when you make his recipe? While the
purist in me objects on principle, I can see how they might add
something special.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 May 2008 12:11:13 -0400, Tara >
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 May 2008 23:02:48 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:
>
>>This is the recipe I use. It is from James Villas...who grew up in
>>North Carolina.

>... and whose essay on pimento cheese, "P.C. and Proud of It" is as
>fine a tribute to pimento cheese as will ever be written.
>
>Do you add the optional olives when you make his recipe? While the
>purist in me objects on principle, I can see how they might add
>something special.
>
>Tara

No, I don't add them. I like the basic recipe well enough.

He says his mother decries the use of olives in this...but he says
they can add a special fillip to the spread.

Hmm...maybe I should make some for my Australian guest....

Christine, getting ready to head out for another day of playing tour
guide.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>... and whose essay on pimento cheese, "P.C. and Proud of It" is as
>fine a tribute to pimento cheese as will ever be written.

I found the essay online here -- scroll about halfway down the thread.
This link goes to ebay forums, not an auction.
http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.js...09845&start=40

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> I found the essay online here -- scroll about halfway down the thread.
> This link goes to ebay forums, not an auction.
> http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.js...09845&start=40
>
> Tara

A very fine essay at that!
I was also amused by the recollection of a fried chicken drumstick in
his lunch box. Back in the days before unrefrigerated fried chicken in a
lunch or picnic box couldn't kill ya. LOL. Ah, those were they simple
days, eh?