Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easy way to measure shortening

My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
here is a simple yet easy way to do it.

Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening. If you don't
have a measuring cup, or you are just trying to save a little time,
you can take a 1 cup measuring cup and fill it to the 1/2 cup line
with COLD water, then you can spoon in your shortening, butter, or
margerine until the water level reaches the 1 cup line. This will give
you the 1/2 of shortening, butter or margerine that you need for your
recipe. Just remember to use COLD water as warm water will melt what
ever it is you are trying to measure.

I use this method everytime I bake as it is faster and cuts down on
the dirty dishes I have when I am through baking. Try it and let me
know what YOU think.

Check out my Blog at: http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

weaver615 wrote:

> My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
> the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
> here is a simple yet easy way to do it.
>
> Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening. If you don't
> have a measuring cup, or you are just trying to save a little time,
> you can take a 1 cup measuring cup and fill it to the 1/2 cup line
> with COLD water, then you can spoon in your shortening, butter, or
> margerine until the water level reaches the 1 cup line. This will give
> you the 1/2 of shortening, butter or margerine that you need for your
> recipe. Just remember to use COLD water as warm water will melt what
> ever it is you are trying to measure.
>
> I use this method everytime I bake as it is faster and cuts down on
> the dirty dishes I have when I am through baking. Try it and let me
> know what YOU think.

I have tried that, and found it a lot more work and mess than just slicing
off the required amount from a block. I stopped buying it in the three
pound tubs because it was always more expensive than buying three one
pound blocks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 10:59*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> I have tried that, and found it a lot more work and mess than just slicing
> off the required amount from a block. I stopped buying it in the three
> pound tubs because it was always more expensive than buying three one
> pound blocks.

He was talking about tubs. I didn't know blocks were less expensive
than tubs. I would have thought it was the other way around.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:12:05 -0700 (PDT), weaver615
> wrote:

>Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening.

Most accurate is by weight. 4 oz....there it is.

I have started weighing everything. Much easier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote in
:

> On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:12:05 -0700 (PDT), weaver615
> > wrote:
>
>>Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening.

> Most accurate is by weight. 4 oz....there it is.
>
> I have started weighing everything. Much easier.

except weight 4 oz is not by volume 1/2 cup and oil doesn't weigh 4 oz per
1/2 cup.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:12:05 -0700 (PDT), weaver615
> > wrote:
>
> >Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening.

> Most accurate is by weight. 4 oz....there it is.

Where is it?

> I have started weighing everything. Much easier.

A cup of shortening is 6.7 ounces:

http://www.sweetnapa.com/volume-to-w...ent-conversion

You may have noticed that shortening floats in water. That should be a
clue.

Weight is more accurate for recipes, but only if the recipe specifies
weight as the measure.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 1:12�pm, weaver615 > wrote:
> My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
> the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
> here is a simple yet easy way to do it.
>
> Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening. If you don't
> have a measuring cup, or you are just trying to save a little time,
> you can take a 1 cup measuring cup and fill it to the 1/2 cup line
> with COLD water, then you can spoon in your shortening, butter, or
> margerine until the water level reaches the 1 cup line. This will give
> you the 1/2 of shortening, butter or margerine that you need for your
> recipe. Just remember to use COLD water as warm water will melt what
> ever it is you are trying to measure.
>
> I use this method everytime I bake as it is faster and cuts down on
> the dirty dishes I have when I am through baking. Try it and let me
> know what YOU think.

That's a trick like how people who think touching raw chicken is
yooky, so they buy parts.

Volume is not the same for all shortening weights, so your method is
not very accurate.. plus it's messy and time consuming.. and the
larger the amount the more inaccurate.

Experienced cooks can pretty accurately eyeball solid shortenings..
especially since shortening is sold in standard packages; sticks,
cans... even a chimpanzee can be trained to eyeball a 1/4 or 1/2 pound
of crisco from a 1 pound can. In commercial kitchens recipes are
based on commercial sized packages, ie. 5, 10, 30 pound buckets of
shortening... they simply use the entire container of each
ingredient... how do yoose think package sizes came to be, it was not
by accident. Not nearly as much precision measuring goes on in
commercial kitchens as one may think, or even home kitchens, not when
the cook is experienced. Actually experienced cooks/bakers can very
accurately measure ingredients, and with exquisitely accurate
consistancy, while blind folded and with no other tools but their bare
hands... you need to observe a professional baker scale muffin batter
into pans, they can actually fill muffin tins by scooping with their
hands and faster than the eye can see, I kid you not, I can, all day,
by the thousands, as fast as you can feed me greased muffin tins... I
can fill muffin tins faster than any ten of you can grease those
tins... and that's with one hand, if I use both hands there probably
won't be enough room in the kitchen to hold enough of yoose to keep
up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Experienced cooks can pretty accurately eyeball solid shortenings..
> especially since shortening is sold in standard packages; sticks,
> cans... even a chimpanzee can be trained to eyeball a 1/4 or 1/2 pound
> of crisco from a 1 pound can. In commercial kitchens recipes are
> based on commercial sized packages, ie. 5, 10, 30 pound buckets of
> shortening... they simply use the entire container of each
> ingredient... how do yoose think package sizes came to be, it was not
> by accident. Not nearly as much precision measuring goes on in
> commercial kitchens as one may think, or even home kitchens, not when
> the cook is experienced. Actually experienced cooks/bakers can very
> accurately measure ingredients, and with exquisitely accurate
> consistancy, while blind folded and with no other tools but their bare
> hands... you need to observe a professional baker scale muffin batter

I am by no means a professional. I probably make more pies than the average
person, but fewer than a lot. I buy shortening in one pound blocks. To get
the one cup of shortening I set a sharp knife at the middle of the block,
slide it over about 1/4 inch and slice. I have done it so many times I can
guesstimate accurately off a partial block. Don't ask me the exact length
of the piece, I just know it to see it. I don't measure the salt. I just
pour some into my hand. The egg obviously does not have to be measured, but
i do measure the 1 Tblsp. of vinegar and two of water. Liquid probably
makes a lot more difference to a pie crust than having a little too much or
two little shortening. You can try to adjust by adding a little more flour
or a little more water, but that involves working the dough a lot more,
which is more likely to mess it up than not having exact measures.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pussy Katz blathered:

>> Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening. If you don't have
>> a measuring cup, or you are just trying to save a little time, you can
>> take a 1 cup measuring cup and fill it to the 1/2 cup line with COLD
>> water, then you can spoon in your shortening, butter, or margerine until
>> the water level reaches the 1 cup line. This will give you the 1/2 of
>> shortening, butter or margerine that you need for your recipe. Just
>> remember to use COLD water as warm water will melt what ever it is you
>> are trying to measure.
>>
>> I use this method everytime I bake as it is faster and cuts down on the
>> dirty dishes I have when I am through baking. Try it and let me know what
>> YOU think.
>>

> That's a trick like how people who think touching raw chicken is yooky, so
> they buy parts.
>
> Volume is not the same for all shortening weights, so your method is not
> very accurate.. plus it's messy and time consuming.. and the larger the
> amount the more inaccurate.

What part of "Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening" did you
fail to comprehend? The OP said NOTHING about weight; the post was strictly
about measuring VOLUME. If your recipe calls for half a cup of shortening,
then it calls for a specific VOLUME. Is that COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE for you
to understand?

> you need to observe a professional baker scale muffin batter into pans,
> they can actually fill muffin tins by scooping with their hands and faster
> than the eye can see, I kid you not, I can, all day, by the thousands, as
> fast as you can feed me greased muffin tins... I can fill muffin tins
> faster than any ten of you can grease those tins... and that's with one
> hand, if I use both hands there probably won't be enough room in the
> kitchen to hold enough of yoose to keep up.

What a stupid lying braggadocian ****tard you are!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 8:15Â*pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> On May 22, 1:12�pm, weaver615 > wrote:
>

> > My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
> > the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
> > here is a simple yet easy way to do it.

> > Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening. If you don't
> > have a measuring cup, or you are just trying to save a little time,
> > you can take a 1 cup measuring cup and fill it to the 1/2 cup line
> > with COLD water, then you can spoon in your shortening, butter, or
> > margerine until the water level reaches the 1 cup line. This will give
> > you the 1/2 of shortening, butter or margerine that you need for your
> > recipe. Just remember to use COLD water as warm water will melt what
> > ever it is you are trying to measure.

> > I use this method everytime I bake as it is faster and cuts down on
> > the dirty dishes I have when I am through baking. Try it and let me
> > know what YOU think.

> That's a trick like how people who think touching raw chicken is
> yooky, so they buy parts.
>
> Volume is not the same for all shortening weights, so your method is
> not very accurate.. plus it's messy and time consuming.. and the
> larger the amount the more inaccurate.
>
> Experienced cooks can pretty accurately eyeball solid shortenings..
> especially since shortening is sold in standard packages; sticks,
> cans... even a chimpanzee can be trained to eyeball a 1/4 or 1/2 pound
> of crisco from a 1 pound can. Â*In commercial kitchens recipes are
> based on commercial sized packages, ie. 5, 10, 30 pound buckets of
> shortening... they simply use the entire container of each
> ingredient...

These days, only a really sloppy person would have anything to do with
hydrogenated oils. Chimps have an excuse for not knowing better.
Humans do not.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 10:12*am, weaver615 > wrote:
> My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
> the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
> here is a simple yet easy way to do it.
>
> Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening. If you don't
> have a measuring cup, or you are just trying to save a little time,
> you can take a 1 cup measuring cup and fill it to the 1/2 cup line
> with COLD water, then you can spoon in your shortening, butter, or
> margerine until the water level reaches the 1 cup line. This will give
> you the 1/2 of shortening, butter or margerine that you need for your
> recipe. Just remember to use COLD water as warm water will melt what
> ever it is you are trying to measure.
>
> I use this method everytime I bake as it is faster and cuts down on
> the dirty dishes I have when I am through baking. Try it and let me
> know what YOU think.
>
> Check out my Blog at:http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com

All Great responses. But I WAS talking about Solid shortening like
CRISCO. I prefer to do things the way I was taught "1/2 cup of this, a
pinch of that..." old fashion? Yes. BUt allot of fun too. Keep them
coming.

Check out my Blog at: http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 May 2008 18:37:38 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Pussy Katz blathered:
>
>>> Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening. If you don't have
>>> a measuring cup, or you are just trying to save a little time, you can
>>> take a 1 cup measuring cup and fill it to the 1/2 cup line with COLD
>>> water, then you can spoon in your shortening, butter, or margerine until
>>> the water level reaches the 1 cup line. This will give you the 1/2 of
>>> shortening, butter or margerine that you need for your recipe. Just
>>> remember to use COLD water as warm water will melt what ever it is you
>>> are trying to measure.
>>>
>>> I use this method everytime I bake as it is faster and cuts down on the
>>> dirty dishes I have when I am through baking. Try it and let me know what
>>> YOU think.
>>>

>> That's a trick like how people who think touching raw chicken is yooky, so
>> they buy parts.
>>
>> Volume is not the same for all shortening weights, so your method is not
>> very accurate.. plus it's messy and time consuming.. and the larger the
>> amount the more inaccurate.

>What part of "Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening" did you
>fail to comprehend? The OP said NOTHING about weight; the post was strictly
>about measuring VOLUME. If your recipe calls for half a cup of shortening,
>then it calls for a specific VOLUME. Is that COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE for you
>to understand?
>

>> you need to observe a professional baker scale muffin batter into pans,
>> they can actually fill muffin tins by scooping with their hands and faster
>> than the eye can see, I kid you not, I can, all day, by the thousands, as
>> fast as you can feed me greased muffin tins... I can fill muffin tins
>> faster than any ten of you can grease those tins... and that's with one
>> hand, if I use both hands there probably won't be enough room in the
>> kitchen to hold enough of yoose to keep up.

>What a stupid lying braggadocian ****tard you are!
>
>Bob

an expert can eyeball sheldon and with uncanny accuracy say, 'that's
an asshole, all right.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 9:01*am, weaver615 > wrote:
> On May 22, 10:12*am, weaver615 > wrote:
>

> > My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
> > the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
> > here is a simple yet easy way to do it.

> > Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening. If you don't
> > have a measuring cup, or you are just trying to save a little time,
> > you can take a 1 cup measuring cup and fill it to the 1/2 cup line
> > with COLD water, then you can spoon in your shortening, butter, or
> > margerine until the water level reaches the 1 cup line. This will give
> > you the 1/2 of shortening, butter or margerine that you need for your
> > recipe. Just remember to use COLD water as warm water will melt what
> > ever it is you are trying to measure.

> > I use this method everytime I bake as it is faster and cuts down on
> > the dirty dishes I have when I am through baking. Try it and let me
> > know what YOU think.

> > Check out my Blog at:http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com

> All Great responses. But I WAS talking about Solid shortening like
> CRISCO. I prefer to do things the way I was taught "1/2 cup of this, a
> pinch of that..." old fashion? Yes. BUt allot of fun too. Keep them
> coming.
>
> Check out my Blog at:http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com- Hide quoted text -

Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 May 2008 18:37:38 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>>Pussy Katz blathered:
>>

>>> That's a trick like how people who think touching raw chicken is yooky,
>>> so
>>> they buy parts.
>>>
>>> Volume is not the same for all shortening weights, so your method is not
>>> very accurate.. plus it's messy and time consuming.. and the larger the
>>> amount the more inaccurate.

>>What part of "Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening" did
>>you
>>fail to comprehend? The OP said NOTHING about weight; the post was
>>strictly
>>about measuring VOLUME. If your recipe calls for half a cup of shortening,
>>then it calls for a specific VOLUME. Is that COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE for you
>>to understand?
>>

>>> you need to observe a professional baker scale muffin batter into pans,
>>> they can actually fill muffin tins by scooping with their hands and
>>> faster
>>> than the eye can see, I kid you not, I can, all day, by the thousands,
>>> as
>>> fast as you can feed me greased muffin tins... I can fill muffin tins
>>> faster than any ten of you can grease those tins... and that's with one
>>> hand, if I use both hands there probably won't be enough room in the
>>> kitchen to hold enough of yoose to keep up.

>>What a stupid lying braggadocian ****tard you are!
>>
>>Bob

> an expert can eyeball sheldon and with uncanny accuracy say, 'that's
> an asshole, all right.'
>
> your pal,
> blake

ROTFLMAO!! That's the funniest thing I've read all week!!

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

weaver615 > wrote in news:314533ae-f10c-48a5-8a5f-
:

not ****ing likely

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo®" claims:

> Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.

OK, I'm an ignorant slob. Anyone else?

Felice
President of the CRISCO Club

Company of
Really
Ignorant
Slobs
Collected
Online

Posted to rec.food.cooking

weaver615 wrote:
> My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
> the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
> here is a simple yet easy way to do it.
>
> Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening. If you don't
> have a measuring cup, or you are just trying to save a little time,
> you can take a 1 cup measuring cup and fill it to the 1/2 cup line
> with COLD water, then you can spoon in your shortening, butter, or
> margerine until the water level reaches the 1 cup line. This will give
> you the 1/2 of shortening, butter or margerine that you need for your
> recipe. Just remember to use COLD water as warm water will melt what
> ever it is you are trying to measure.
>
> I use this method everytime I bake as it is faster and cuts down on
> the dirty dishes I have when I am through baking. Try it and let me
> know what YOU think.
>
> Check out my Blog at: http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com

I learned that same trick from my mother many years
ago. My home ec teacher wouldn't let me do it that
way! Anyway, I quit doing it long before shortening
came in sticks, because I found it to be messier
that just filling the measuring cup and then scraping
it out. Of course now I buy Crisco in sticks and
just cut off the correct amount. Much easier.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:12:05 -0700 (PDT), weaver615
> wrote:
>>

>>>Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening.

>>Most accurate is by weight. 4 oz....there it is.

> Where is it?
>

>>I have started weighing everything. Much easier.

> A cup of shortening is 6.7 ounces:
>
> http://www.sweetnapa.com/volume-to-w...ent-conversion
>
> You may have noticed that shortening floats in water. That should be a
> clue.
>
> Weight is more accurate for recipes,

Few recipes need such accurate measuring. Doing it
by volume is close enough. Even then I don't bother
doing all that ocd type stuff like scraping the top
of the cup or teaspoon with a knife to make it
perfectly level. I quit doing that years ago.

but only if the recipe specifies
> weight as the measure.

Even if I did measure I wouldn't bother to make sure
the needle was exactly on the mark. And who knows
how accurate their scale is anyway. Unless you've
bought a really high quality one and frequently
check it for accuracy.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> > All Great responses. But I WAS talking about Solid shortening like
> > CRISCO. I prefer to do things the way I was taught "1/2 cup of this, a
> > pinch of that..." old fashion? Yes. BUt allot of fun too. Keep them
> > coming.
> >
> > Check out my Blog at:http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com- Hide quoted text -
> >

> Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.

And it would take another ignorant slob to make such a stupid comment. I use Crisco
and get great results. It may not be the healthiest thing in the world, but neither
are the sorts of things you make with it. It's not like a steady diet of the stuff.

> --Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:

> "Bobo Bonobo®" claims:
>
> > Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.

> OK, I'm an ignorant slob. Anyone else?

Raising my hand. :-)

My mother always made her pie dough with lard. I always make
mine with Crisco. Her pies were pretty good but mine were
better. She always raved about my pie and wanted me to show
her how I do it. There was no secret to it, just a matter of
using Crisco instead of lard.

> Felice
> President of the CRISCO Club
>
> Company of
> Really
> Ignorant
> Slobs
> Collected
> Online

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> I learned that same trick from my mother many years
> ago. My home ec teacher wouldn't let me do it that
> way! Anyway, I quit doing it long before shortening
> came in sticks, because I found it to be messier
> that just filling the measuring cup and then scraping
> it out. Of course now I buy Crisco in sticks and
> just cut off the correct amount. Much easier.

The few times I bought shortening in a tub I just measured in the cup too,
It is messy, but it is easy enough to throw some of the flour you are using
into the cup and using that to sop up the shortening and then scrape it
out. It is infinitely easier to cut it from a block.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote

> "Bobo Bonobo®" claims:
>
>> Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.

> OK, I'm an ignorant slob. Anyone else?
>
> Felice
> President of the CRISCO Club
>
> Company of
> Really
> Ignorant
> Slobs
> Collected
> Online

(laugh) I'm a slob, and I'm ignorant, too! Once in a while,
I use Crisco. No surprise to Bryan, I know.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 07:01:28 -0700 (PDT), weaver615
> wrote:

>On May 22, 10:12*am, weaver615 > wrote:
>> My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
>> the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
>> here is a simple yet easy way to do it.
>>
>> Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening. If you don't
>> have a measuring cup, or you are just trying to save a little time,
>> you can take a 1 cup measuring cup and fill it to the 1/2 cup line
>> with COLD water, then you can spoon in your shortening, butter, or
>> margerine until the water level reaches the 1 cup line. This will give
>> you the 1/2 of shortening, butter or margerine that you need for your
>> recipe. Just remember to use COLD water as warm water will melt what
>> ever it is you are trying to measure.
>>
>> I use this method everytime I bake as it is faster and cuts down on
>> the dirty dishes I have when I am through baking. Try it and let me
>> know what YOU think.
>>
>> Check out my Blog at:http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com

>All Great responses. But I WAS talking about Solid shortening like
>CRISCO. I prefer to do things the way I was taught "1/2 cup of this, a
>pinch of that..." old fashion? Yes. BUt allot of fun too. Keep them
>coming.
>

>Check out my Blog at: http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com

I was taught the displacement method of measuring Crisco in an 8th
grade Home Ec class. That was in 1963.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 08:08:12 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> wrote:

>On May 23, 9:01*am, weaver615 > wrote:
>> On May 22, 10:12*am, weaver615 > wrote:
>>

>> > My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
>> > the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
>> > here is a simple yet easy way to do it.

>> > Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening. If you don't
>> > have a measuring cup, or you are just trying to save a little time,
>> > you can take a 1 cup measuring cup and fill it to the 1/2 cup line
>> > with COLD water, then you can spoon in your shortening, butter, or
>> > margerine until the water level reaches the 1 cup line. This will give
>> > you the 1/2 of shortening, butter or margerine that you need for your
>> > recipe. Just remember to use COLD water as warm water will melt what
>> > ever it is you are trying to measure.

>> > I use this method everytime I bake as it is faster and cuts down on
>> > the dirty dishes I have when I am through baking. Try it and let me
>> > know what YOU think.

>> > Check out my Blog at:http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com

>> All Great responses. But I WAS talking about Solid shortening like
>> CRISCO. I prefer to do things the way I was taught "1/2 cup of this, a
>> pinch of that..." old fashion? Yes. BUt allot of fun too. Keep them
>> coming.
>>
>> Check out my Blog at:http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com- Hide quoted text -
>>

>Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.
>
>--Bryan

You're a ****ing idiot.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 12:21*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Felice wrote:
> > "Bobo Bonobo®" claims:

> > > Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.

> > OK, I'm an ignorant slob. Anyone else?

> Raising my hand. *:-)
>
> My mother always made her pie dough with lard. I always make
> mine with Crisco. Her pies were pretty good but mine were
> better. She always raved about my pie and wanted me to show
> her how I do it. There was no secret to it, just a matter of
> using Crisco instead of lard.

I doubt it's just the Crisco. My mother and my sister both used
Crisco. Mother's pie crust was good, my sister's is outstanding. I
think part of it is in having a feel for the dough, at least in small
quanitities.

I can make a decent pie crust but the recipe starts with something
like 10 lb flour, 7lb water and 3 lb lard/shortening. Makes a bit too
much for domestic use.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 12:02*pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2008 08:08:12 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
>

> > wrote:

> >> All Great responses. But I WAS talking about Solid shortening like
> >> CRISCO. I prefer to do things the way I was taught "1/2 cup of this, a
> >> pinch of that..." old fashion? Yes. BUt allot of fun too. Keep them
> >> coming.

> >> Check out my Blog at:http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com-Hide quoted text -

> >Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.

> >--Bryan

> You're a ****ing idiot.

Go ahead, Boron. Eat your Crisco. I hope you die from coronary
artery disease, today.

> Boron

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Fri, 23 May 2008 08:08:12 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> > wrote:

> >Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.

> You're a ****ing idiot.

He does OK until someone mentions something with transfats, at which
point he goes:

http://www.chamaree.com/wp/wp-content/photos/bonobo.jpg

I've seldom seen such religious furor. There is a lot of concern about
transfats, and many of us restrict their use, but I have no concerns
about falling over dead over one taste.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Actually he's a mick mother****er.

> He does OK until someone mentions something with transfats

What a bunch of internet NEWBIES, don't even know how to use a search
engine. Someone gotta ban the micks and all the rest of brits from
all food/cooking groups, they don't even have food in the UK, they all
eat sewerage.

http://crisco.com/About_Crisco/faqs.aspx#faq_trans
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 1:49*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
> *Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 23 May 2008 08:08:12 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> > > wrote:
> > >Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.

> > You're a ****ing idiot.

> He does OK until someone mentions something with transfats, at which
> point he goes:
>
> http://www.chamaree.com/wp/wp-content/photos/bonobo.jpg
>
> I've seldom seen such religious furor. *There is a lot of concern about
> transfats, and many of us restrict their use, but I have no concerns
> about falling over dead over one taste.

It's not the mention. It's suggesting that it's OK to cook with that
junk.

I'd go just as ape if someone suggested that selling meth to the
neighborhood teenagers was a good thing to do.

> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 10:02*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2008 08:08:12 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
>

> > wrote:

> >> All Great responses. But I WAS talking about Solid shortening like
> >> CRISCO. I prefer to do things the way I was taught "1/2 cup of this, a
> >> pinch of that..." old fashion? Yes. BUt allot of fun too. Keep them
> >> coming.

> >> Check out my Blog at:http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com-Hide quoted text -

> >Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.

> >--Bryan

> You're a ****ing idiot.
>
> Boron- Hide quoted text -

I may be a ****ing Idiot but I bet My cooking would out do your ANY
day of the week. I'd even bet 10,000 bucks for you to prove (If you
can) that you're a better cook,,, ****TARD!!!!!! wanna take me up on I
live in Utica NY I'll give you the address if you got the nads to come
looking for me and put up another 10K and have that cook off....lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 11:59:57 -0400, "Felice" >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>"Bobo Bonobo®" claims:
>
>> Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.

>OK, I'm an ignorant slob. Anyone else?
>
>Felice
>President of the CRISCO Club

I can only testify to _situational_ "ignorant slob[bishness]." I use
Crisco to grease (literally) whatever needs it (generally cake pans
before they're dusted with flour), and only pull up my skirts in
horror when reading a recipe that recommends Crisco and its evil
minions in place of butter. The "m" product has never had a place in
our refrigerator. Ever. (And butter bells are your friend!)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 13:01:09 -0400, Boron Elgar
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>I was taught the displacement method of measuring Crisco in an 8th
>grade Home Ec class. That was in 1963.

High five, girl, as I learned the same thing in Home Ec in 1964.
Doesn't work worth a damn, AFAICS, as you still get grease on the
glass measure, so what have you gained?

[And I bailed on that Home Ec class - only girls were "allowed" to
take Home Ec and only boys were "allowed" to take shop. I went to war
about it on my second or third day into the Home Ec class. My dear
aulde dad backed me up. Upshot was, I got to take shop - and jammed a
cold chisel into my hand on my second or third day, thus
proving...okay, shaddup.]

Still mechanically inept as hell...

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

"Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"

-- W.C. Fields
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 18:44:08 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 May 2008 13:01:09 -0400, Boron Elgar
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
>opine:
>
>>I was taught the displacement method of measuring Crisco in an 8th
>>grade Home Ec class. That was in 1963.

>High five, girl, as I learned the same thing in Home Ec in 1964.
>Doesn't work worth a damn, AFAICS, as you still get grease on the
>glass measure, so what have you gained?
>
>[And I bailed on that Home Ec class - only girls were "allowed" to
>take Home Ec and only boys were "allowed" to take shop. I went to war
>about it on my second or third day into the Home Ec class. My dear
>aulde dad backed me up. Upshot was, I got to take shop - and jammed a
>cold chisel into my hand on my second or third day, thus
>proving...okay, shaddup.]
>
>Still mechanically inept as hell...
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
>"Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"
>
> -- W.C. Fields

We tortured that Home Ec teacher...probably to pay her back for
teaching us about greasy measuring cups. I seem to remember we glued
the flour canisters to the countertop.

I would have loved to have taken shop, but it was not an option.
Still, I married well enough that I now have every power tool the
world has ever seen.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> I would have loved to have taken shop, but it was not
> an option. Still, I married well enough that I now have
> every power tool the world has ever seen.

I have a Branson 8200 ultrasonic welder.
You can't top that, can you?

I also have a Henes water welder. For fine work,
these two machines are unlikely to be bested
by anything you've got, right?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:10:38 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> I would have loved to have taken shop, but it was not
>> an option. Still, I married well enough that I now have
>> every power tool the world has ever seen.

>I have a Branson 8200 ultrasonic welder.
>You can't top that, can you?

My husband was trained as a welder. You bet I can.

>I also have a Henes water welder. For fine work,
>these two machines are unlikely to be bested
>by anything you've got, right?

It's a hydrogen torch.

His company does this professionally, Mark. We have some fancy
industrial stuff here or at the shop. The woodworking monsters,
though, are antiques for home use.

Ever play with an orbital welder?

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> I would have loved to have taken shop, but it was not
>> an option. Still, I married well enough that I now have
>> every power tool the world has ever seen.

> I have a Branson 8200 ultrasonic welder.
> You can't top that, can you?

Binford 2500085
Nothing anywhere better. Not even close.

> I also have a Henes water welder. For fine work,
> these two machines are unlikely to be bested
> by anything you've got, right?

See above. It'll do anything that either of yours will do. And more.

BOB
More Power!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 10:43:12 -0500, "Ms P" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 18:37:38 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Pussy Katz blathered:

>>>What part of "Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening" did
>>>you
>>>fail to comprehend? The OP said NOTHING about weight; the post was
>>>strictly
>>>about measuring VOLUME. If your recipe calls for half a cup of shortening,
>>>then it calls for a specific VOLUME. Is that COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE for you
>>>to understand?

>>>What a stupid lying braggadocian ****tard you are!
>>>
>>>Bob

>> an expert can eyeball sheldon and with uncanny accuracy say, 'that's
>> an asshole, all right.'
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>ROTFLMAO!! That's the funniest thing I've read all week!!
>
>Ms P

thank you, thank you. i'll be here for the rest of the month. make
sure to tip the waitress.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bobo Bonobo®" claims:
>
>> Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.

>OK, I'm an ignorant slob. Anyone else?
>
>Felice
>President of the CRISCO Club
>
>Company of
>Really
>Ignorant
>Slobs
>Collected
>Online

i don't use it, but i like to see bobo twitch like galvani's frog
legs.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 12:19:56 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>

>> > All Great responses. But I WAS talking about Solid shortening like
>> > CRISCO. I prefer to do things the way I was taught "1/2 cup of this, a
>> > pinch of that..." old fashion? Yes. BUt allot of fun too. Keep them
>> > coming.
>> >
>> > Check out my Blog at:http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com- Hide quoted text -
>> >

>> Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.
>>

>And it would take another ignorant slob to make such a stupid comment. I use Crisco
>and get great results. It may not be the healthiest thing in the world, but neither
>are the sorts of things you make with it. It's not like a steady diet of the stuff.

i have a crisco cutlet every day. you have to fry it really quick,
though, because it shrinks so much.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 May 2008 11:49:32 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 May 2008 08:08:12 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
>> > wrote:

>> >Only ignorant slobs use Crisco.

>> You're a ****ing idiot.

>He does OK until someone mentions something with transfats, at which
>point he goes:
>
>http://www.chamaree.com/wp/wp-content/photos/bonobo.jpg
>
>I've seldom seen such religious furor. There is a lot of concern about
>transfats, and many of us restrict their use, but I have no concerns
>about falling over dead over one taste.

you'll see! one foot in the grave and another on a crisco slick! i
hope your insurance is paid up, my brother!

your pal,
j. spratt