Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Cutting boards & storage?

Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden &
bamboo cutting boards. As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
really). My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards, and
I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. So, I
wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
boards? I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
them upright might be nice? Any suggestions? TIA.

Sky
Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky > wrote:

> Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden &
> bamboo cutting boards. As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
> really). My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards, and
> I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. So, I
> wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
> boards? I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
> them upright might be nice? Any suggestions? TIA.

I have a large 12"x12"x3" cutting block that stands upright on the
back of the counter (on the 3" side) and all the rest get wedged
between that and the wall. The rest are much thinner, of course.

You really only need 3 cutting boards for every day use. Store the
rest in a cupboard.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

On May 16, 9:44*pm, Sky > wrote:

> Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden &
> bamboo cutting boards. *As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
> really). *My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards, and
> I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. *So, I
> wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
> boards? *I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
> them upright might be nice? *Any suggestions? *TIA.

You, too!!! We also have the plastic/acrylic AND thin-plexi cutting
sheets with the traditional boards. Bob has several, including a HUGE
butcher block style board, and then when we married I had my favorites
that I brought with me. I'm not particularly crazy about using the
block, because I have smashed my fingers moving it for cleaning. (Not
crazy about his mandolin either, but that is another story).

At the moment, we have a few that are doing the "letter-holder-thingy"
using our TWO knife blocks to wedge them up. The big butcher block
does lay flat on a separate counter, and another board sits upright on
the block leaning against the wall. And yes, there are a couple of
others in the cabinets.

Are your walls solid enough to put hangers on for storage? I've done
that before for boards that had holes in them on handles, etc. Sort of
decorative as well, depending upon the board.

--Lin (baby, I'm "board")
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
:Sky > wrote:

:> Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden &
:> bamboo cutting boards. As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
:> really). My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards, and
:> I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. So, I
:> wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
:> boards? I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
:> them upright might be nice? Any suggestions? TIA.

:I have a large 12"x12"x3" cutting block that stands upright on the
:back of the counter (on the 3" side) and all the rest get wedged
:between that and the wall. The rest are much thinner, of course.

:You really only need 3 cutting boards for every day use. Store the
:rest in a cupboard.

I use a letter holder thingy (I think it's for file folders,
actually). It works fine, but it does take up a bit of counter space.
It's out of the way, so that doesn't bother me. I can use a whole lot
more than three cutting boards in a flurry of prep work. It's a whole
lot faster to use another than it is to wash one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:

> Are your walls solid enough to put hangers on for storage? I've
> done that before for boards that had holes in them on handles, etc.
> Sort of decorative as well, depending upon the board.

If you do that, get hooks with a few inches of standoff
distance from the wall, for good air circulation, otherwise
both the board and the wall can become moldy. That's been
my unfortunate experience.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Scheidt > wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>:You really only need 3 cutting boards for every day use. Store the
>:rest in a cupboard.
>
> I use a letter holder thingy (I think it's for file folders,
> actually). It works fine, but it does take up a bit of counter space.
> It's out of the way, so that doesn't bother me. I can use a whole lot
> more than three cutting boards in a flurry of prep work. It's a whole
> lot faster to use another than it is to wash one.

Not me. I'm pretty anal about cleaning up as much as possible when
I cook (I doubt have much counter space to begin with).

I never use more than one cutting board during cooking, though I may
use a different one at serving time. It takes all of 15 seconds to
rinse it off between whatever I'm cutting. If I need to do veggies
that will be served raw after cutting meat, I just rinse it quickly
and turn it over.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden &
> bamboo cutting boards. As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
> really). My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards, and
> I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. So, I
> wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
> boards? I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
> them upright might be nice? Any suggestions? TIA.
>
> Sky
> --

I actually had the same problem before we got the new ovens. My old ones were side by
side, but since we couldn't find those, we replaced them with a top/bottom combo, and
used the extra space on the sides for cutting boards and baking pans! Works great,
and is just the right size.

Crate & Barrel used to have a rack system that I almost bought for the baking sheets
that would work great for cutting boards, but it's been a while. It's simple, you
could probably build one easily if you can't find one. It was basically a piece of
wood, with wooden dowels creating the separators.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden &
> bamboo cutting boards. As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
> really). My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards,

That's not what I'd call a small collection. If I have more than I
can comfortably use/store, I get rid of some.

> and
> I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. So, I
> wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
> boards? I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
> them upright might be nice? Any suggestions? TIA.

I keep 'em in a drawer. I only have three.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote

> Crate & Barrel used to have a rack system that I almost bought for the
> baking sheets that would work great for cutting boards, but it's been a
> while. It's simple, you could probably build one easily if you can't find
> one. It was basically a piece of wood, with wooden dowels creating the
> separators.

My ex mil had a tray cabinet put into her new kitchen, wonder why I
didn't think of that when I remodeled my kitchen? It was so cool and
was probably only a 12 inch bottom cabinet.

I keep my cutting boards in my appliance garage. Not perfect, but
it works. I only have 3 wood boards in varying sizes.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 17, 12:56*am, David Scheidt > wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
> :Sky > wrote:
>
> :> Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden &
> :> bamboo cutting boards. *As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
> :> really). *My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards, and
> :> I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. *So, I
> :> wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
> :> boards? *I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
> :> them upright might be nice? *Any suggestions? *TIA.
>
> :I have a large 12"x12"x3" cutting block that stands upright on the
> :back of the counter (on the 3" side) and all the rest get wedged
> :between that and the wall. *The rest are much thinner, of course.
>
> :You really only need 3 cutting boards for every day use. *Store the
> :rest in a cupboard.
>
> I use a letter holder thingy (I think it's for file folders,
> actually). *It works fine, but it does take up a bit of counter space.
> It's out of the way, so that doesn't bother me. *I can use a whole lot
> more than three cutting boards in a flurry of prep work. *It's a whole
> lot faster to use another than it is to wash one. *

Really? I'm the other way around. Only one cutting board which hangs
on the wall when not in use. Mind you, I tend to wash everything as I
go when cooking at home so I don't expect to have any cooking dishes
etc left at the end of prep unless there are some that need soaking .

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 May 2008 23:44:45 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden &
>bamboo cutting boards. As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
>really). My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards, and
>I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. So, I
>wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
>boards? I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
>them upright might be nice? Any suggestions? TIA.

That's *exactly* how I store my smaller cutting boards. I have a tray
cabinet where I store my larger items, which includes some cutting
boards.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" <.> wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 23:44:45 -0500, Sky >
> wrote:
>
>>Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden &
>>bamboo cutting boards. As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
>>really). My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards, and
>>I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. So, I
>>wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
>>boards? I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
>>them upright might be nice? Any suggestions? TIA.
>>

> That's *exactly* how I store my smaller cutting boards. I have a tray
> cabinet where I store my larger items, which includes some cutting
> boards.

Sigh. I NEED a new kitchen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2008 13:15:38 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>Sigh. I NEED a new kitchen.

So do I.... this one came with the house when I bought it 30 years
ago. I do *not* consider new appliances and upgrading countertops a
remodel. If it's the same old (albeit custom) cabinets and the same
old configuration, it's just a facelift at best.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:
> On May 17, 12:56 am, David Scheidt > wrote:
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>> :Sky > wrote:
>>
>> :> Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden &
>> :> bamboo cutting boards. As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
>> :> really). My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards, and
>> :> I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. So, I
>> :> wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
>> :> boards? I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
>> :> them upright might be nice? Any suggestions? TIA.

That's exactly what I use, a file-folder rack. I have a dozen or so
cutting boards so that I can always find a clean one when I need it.
The plastic ones go in the dishwasher with a regular load and a bit of
chlorine bleach and the wooden (used mostly for serving) get washed by
hand. All are stored upright, next to the microwave.

My daughter has a lower kitchen cabinet fitted with a rack to hold
baking sheets and cutting boards. It's terrific.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 17 May 2008 10:15:38a, cybercat told us...

> "sf" <.> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 16 May 2008 23:44:45 -0500, Sky >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden
>>>& bamboo cutting boards. As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
>>>really). My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards,
>>>and I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. So, I
>>>wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
>>>boards? I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
>>>them upright might be nice? Any suggestions? TIA.
>>>

>> That's *exactly* how I store my smaller cutting boards. I have a tray
>> cabinet where I store my larger items, which includes some cutting
>> boards.
>>

> Sigh. I NEED a new kitchen.

With all your money, you shouldn't have a problem putting in a new kitchen.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 17 May 2008 10:44:41a, sf told us...

> On Sat, 17 May 2008 13:15:38 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>Sigh. I NEED a new kitchen.

> So do I.... this one came with the house when I bought it 30 years
> ago. I do *not* consider new appliances and upgrading countertops a
> remodel. If it's the same old (albeit custom) cabinets and the same
> old configuration, it's just a facelift at best.

Sometimes a facelift is all it really needs. And cabinets, custom or
otherwise, can often be modified on the interior for specialized storage.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Armed Forces Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 1dys 11hrs 30mins
Why ask why, just shut up and die

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Sky wrote:

> Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden &
> bamboo cutting boards. As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
> really). My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards, and
> I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. So, I
> wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
> boards? I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
> them upright might be nice? Any suggestions? TIA.
>
> Sky
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Thanks to everyone for their replies and suggestions! I appreciate them
all very much. I found it interesting that a lot of other people in
RFC-land use the "letting holder thingies" (or file folder thingies) to
keep their cutting boards upright instead of horizontal on a counter or
cabinet surface.

I particularly like the idea of a dowel-rod holder that Nexis/Kimberly
mentioned - that probably is much more attractive than some other
alternatives. I also think hanging the cutting boards on the wall might
be a good option, but since my kitchen walls were just repaired and
painted, I'm rather hesitant to poke holes in it at the moment (that
won't last long!). Some very 'yoogly' wallpaper had to be removed -
remember that interior flood I suffered at the New Year???. Thanks to
Mark for mentioning there might be a concern about mold and mildew if
cutting boards are hung on a wall - otherwise I never would've have
known that could be a potential problem.

Thanks again folks

Sky, who now has some really good ideas <G>

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden &
>bamboo cutting boards. As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
>really). My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards, and
>I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. So, I
>wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
>boards? I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
>them upright might be nice? Any suggestions? TIA.

I must be truly blessed.

My kitchen has a very narrow cupboard next to the stove, where I keep
all my cutting boards and cookie sheets. The cupboard is about 6
inches wide, and has two shelves. I think I have 8 or 10 cutting
boards in there, plus the cookie sheets, plus a few trays. Oh, and a
couple of cooling racks.

Jo Anne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 17, 12:44�am, Sky > wrote:
> Over the past few years, I've accumulated a small collection of wooden &
> bamboo cutting boards. �As such, I now have a dilemma (well, not
> really). �My counters are getting 'covered' with the cutting boards, and
> I'd rather store them somehow, although not in any cabinet. �So, I
> wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
> boards? �I've thought of some sort of 'letter holder thingy' to hold
> them upright might be nice? �Any suggestions? �TIA.

I retired all my nice wooden boards and switched to plastic. My
wooden boards are now resigned to dry use only; cheese, fruit,
sausage, bread and such... for serving rather than prep work. I have
some very large and thick wooden carving boards that I use for large
roasts, but those don't get used often enough to stay out and are
really too large to display. I like the new plastic boards as they
can go in the dishwasher. I have a pantry for storage, all my wooden
boards are in there, and some larger plastic boards too. I keep two
very functional sized plastic boards on my counter leaning up against
the back splash behind my toaster... those two suffice for 99 percent
of my everyday kitchen work... I really don't see the point in a
thirty pound block of wood to prep carrots, onions, and celery. I
don't like the bamboo boards, some may think they're pretty but the
binder matrix is very abrasive and not kind to knives... they're
actually sections of the same material used for composite flooring.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> wondered, how does everyone here in RFC-land store their cutting
> boards?
> Sky

The rectangular ones are on the long edge in the bottom drawer. The
round one sits on top of the onions in the same drawer. :-) I only
have about four plus some flexible cutting mats I never use.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>You really only need 3 cutting boards for every day use. Store the
>rest in a cupboard.

Please explain.
Do you dedicate one to poultry, one to seafood, or something like
that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Nexis" > wrote
>
>> Crate & Barrel used to have a rack system that I almost bought for the baking
>> sheets that would work great for cutting boards, but it's been a while. It's
>> simple, you could probably build one easily if you can't find one. It was
>> basically a piece of wood, with wooden dowels creating the separators.

> My ex mil had a tray cabinet put into her new kitchen, wonder why I
> didn't think of that when I remodeled my kitchen? It was so cool and
> was probably only a 12 inch bottom cabinet.
>
> I keep my cutting boards in my appliance garage. Not perfect, but
> it works. I only have 3 wood boards in varying sizes.
>
> nancy

I use to only have the two that slide out above the drawers, and some of
the flexible plastic ones. Then my husband saw some bamboo ones that he
thought were nice, so he bought me a couple of those. Then my BIL saw those
and assumed I was collecting them now, so he got a couple more! lol They're
pretty though, and different sizes, which is kinda nice. I even have one that is
about 6x8, which is perfect for slicing lemons and limes, and tomatoes.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 18 May 2008 01:47:03a, Nexis told us...

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Nexis" > wrote
>>
>>> Crate & Barrel used to have a rack system that I almost bought for the
>>> baking sheets that would work great for cutting boards, but it's been
>>> a while. It's simple, you could probably build one easily if you can't
>>> find one. It was basically a piece of wood, with wooden dowels
>>> creating the separators.

>> My ex mil had a tray cabinet put into her new kitchen, wonder why I
>> didn't think of that when I remodeled my kitchen? It was so cool and
>> was probably only a 12 inch bottom cabinet.
>>
>> I keep my cutting boards in my appliance garage. Not perfect, but
>> it works. I only have 3 wood boards in varying sizes.
>>
>> nancy

> I use to only have the two that slide out above the drawers, and some of
> the flexible plastic ones. Then my husband saw some bamboo ones that he
> thought were nice, so he bought me a couple of those. Then my BIL saw
> those and assumed I was collecting them now, so he got a couple more!
> lol They're pretty though, and different sizes, which is kinda nice. I
> even have one that is about 6x8, which is perfect for slicing lemons and
> limes, and tomatoes.
>
> kimberly

I have an assortment of cutting boards of different sizes, all
polypropylene I think, because I wanted to be able to dishwasher them.
(Not at all attractive for display like good wood or bamboo.) I found an
easy and inexpensive solution for keeping them in order in one of our
cabinets, since I don't have a tray storage unit. I bought a fat 18"
bungie cord and screwed the ends into the inner sidewall of one of cabinets
(front to back). All the cutting boards are secured by the cord, and
there's enough elasticity to keep them in place whether there is one or all
of them there. No more boards falling down.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

(snipperdoodles)

> I have an assortment of cutting boards of different sizes, all
> polypropylene I think, because I wanted to be able to dishwasher them.
> (Not at all attractive for display like good wood or bamboo.) I found an
> easy and inexpensive solution for keeping them in order in one of our
> cabinets, since I don't have a tray storage unit. I bought a fat 18"
> bungie cord and screwed the ends into the inner sidewall of one of cabinets
> (front to back). All the cutting boards are secured by the cord, and
> there's enough elasticity to keep them in place whether there is one or all
> of them there. No more boards falling down.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Another great ideat! Thanks for sharing. There are always extra
bungees of various sizes around my home, so that's an easy setup. The
best part is I really like its low cost

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My big cooking utensil crocks* are pushed into a counter corner, with
just enough room between them to stick the paddle boards on end into
the very corner. Handles are sticking out toward kitchen. Handiest
way I've found yet.

The big boards which come out about once a week stand on end in lower
cupboard between the bread machine and the cupboard's side wall.

*Crocks: I have three large ones -
one for wooden and rubber pieces, another for plastic, another for
metal. It helps to locate stuff by segregating a bit.
Two smaller crocks hold peeler, ice cream scoop, metal skewers - stuff
I used almost daily.

If sumthin' ain't used at least twice a week, it doesn't win counter
space. I'd rather stoop than have no room to work.