Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New rotisserie

I have a new electric rotisserie for my gas grill. Never had one before
and am now wondering what to use first. I got a 6 lb. pork loin roast for
97 cents a pound and a 3 1/2 lb chicken (regular price). Or do both at the
same time and have lots of leftovers. The pork loin should cook the same
time since it's not thick? ... Dry Rub? or baste with a glaze of some
kind. Decisions, decisions....lol...
Undecided....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 16 May 2008 09:51:11a, biig told us...

> I have a new electric rotisserie for my gas grill. Never had one
> before
> and am now wondering what to use first. I got a 6 lb. pork loin roast
> for 97 cents a pound and a 3 1/2 lb chicken (regular price). Or do both
> at the same time and have lots of leftovers. The pork loin should cook
> the same time since it's not thick? ... Dry Rub? or baste with a
> glaze of some kind. Decisions, decisions....lol...
> Undecided....Sharon

Cooking on a rotisserie pretty eliminates the *need* for basting, but can
certainly be done for the flavors you want to add.

I dunno about the cooking time. A 6 lb hunk of pork is a dense solid piece
of meat compared to chicken. I would expect the chicken to be done sooner.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 05(V)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> On Fri 16 May 2008 09:51:11a, biig told us...
>
>> I have a new electric rotisserie for my gas grill. Never had one
>> before
>> and am now wondering what to use first. I got a 6 lb. pork loin roast
>> for 97 cents a pound and a 3 1/2 lb chicken (regular price). Or do both
>> at the same time and have lots of leftovers. The pork loin should cook
>> the same time since it's not thick? ... Dry Rub? or baste with a
>> glaze of some kind. Decisions, decisions....lol...
>> Undecided....Sharon

> Cooking on a rotisserie pretty eliminates the *need* for basting, but can
> certainly be done for the flavors you want to add.
>
> I dunno about the cooking time. A 6 lb hunk of pork is a dense solid
> piece
> of meat compared to chicken. I would expect the chicken to be done
> sooner.
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

The pork loin is long and thin, and since we can eat it a little pink, I
was hoping they would both cook about the same time. I will probably just
do the chicken and do a dry rub though. I'm hoping to have some family for
supper next weekend and I can use the pork then. I think I'll have a nap
and decide when I wake up....LOL...Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 16 May 2008 10:12:15a, biig told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> On Fri 16 May 2008 09:51:11a, biig told us...
>>
>>> I have a new electric rotisserie for my gas grill. Never had one
>>> before
>>> and am now wondering what to use first. I got a 6 lb. pork loin roast
>>> for 97 cents a pound and a 3 1/2 lb chicken (regular price). Or do
>>> both at the same time and have lots of leftovers. The pork loin
>>> should cook the same time since it's not thick? ... Dry Rub? or
>>> baste with a glaze of some kind. Decisions, decisions....lol...
>>> Undecided....Sharon

>> Cooking on a rotisserie pretty eliminates the *need* for basting, but
>> can certainly be done for the flavors you want to add.
>>
>> I dunno about the cooking time. A 6 lb hunk of pork is a dense solid
>> piece of meat compared to chicken. I would expect the chicken to be
>> done
>> sooner.
>>

>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> The pork loin is long and thin, and since we can eat it a little pink,
> was hoping they would both cook about the same time. I will probably
> just do the chicken and do a dry rub though. I'm hoping to have some
> family for supper next weekend and I can use the pork then. I think
> I'll have a nap and decide when I wake up....LOL...Sharon

Sounds like a plan!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 05(V)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 2dys 13hrs 45mins
Acting without thinking can be awfully
entertaining.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

> I have a new electric rotisserie for my gas grill. Never had one before
> and am now wondering what to use first. I got a 6 lb. pork loin roast for
> 97 cents a pound and a 3 1/2 lb chicken (regular price). Or do both at the
> same time and have lots of leftovers. The pork loin should cook the same
> time since it's not thick? ... Dry Rub? or baste with a glaze of some
> kind. Decisions, decisions....lol...

Do some small chickens on it, the type that are just enough to split in half to
feed two people. Season with salt and pepper and baste with butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message
> I have a new electric rotisserie for my gas grill. Never had one before
> and am now wondering what to use first. I got a 6 lb. pork loin roast for
> 97 cents a pound and a 3 1/2 lb chicken (regular price). Or do both at the
> same time and have lots of leftovers. The pork loin should cook the same
> time since it's not thick? ... Dry Rub? or baste with a glaze of some
> kind. Decisions, decisions....lol...
> Undecided....Sharon

Direct or Indirect heat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> "biig" > wrote in message
>> I have a new electric rotisserie for my gas grill. Never had one
>> before and am now wondering what to use first. I got a 6 lb. pork loin
>> roast for 97 cents a pound and a 3 1/2 lb chicken (regular price). Or do
>> both at the same time and have lots of leftovers. The pork loin should
>> cook the same time since it's not thick? ... Dry Rub? or baste with a
>> glaze of some kind. Decisions, decisions....lol...
>> Undecided....Sharon
>>

> Direct or Indirect heat?

The chicken is on the spit now. Indirect heat with a drip pan....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
>>
>> "biig" > wrote in message
>>> I have a new electric rotisserie for my gas grill. Never had one
>>> before and am now wondering what to use first. I got a 6 lb. pork loin
>>> roast for 97 cents a pound and a 3 1/2 lb chicken (regular price). Or do
>>> both at the same time and have lots of leftovers. The pork loin should
>>> cook the same time since it's not thick? ... Dry Rub? or baste with a
>>> glaze of some kind. Decisions, decisions....lol...
>>> Undecided....Sharon
>>>

>> Direct or Indirect heat?
>>

> The chicken is on the spit now. Indirect heat with a drip pan....

Meat thermometer. Don't overcook it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in
:

> "biig" > wrote in message
>> I have a new electric rotisserie for my gas grill. Never had one
>> before
>> and am now wondering what to use first. I got a 6 lb. pork loin
>> roast for 97 cents a pound and a 3 1/2 lb chicken (regular price). Or
>> do both at the same time and have lots of leftovers. The pork loin
>> should cook the same time since it's not thick? ... Dry Rub? or
>> baste with a glaze of some kind. Decisions, decisions....lol...
>> Undecided....Sharon
>>

> Direct or Indirect heat?

I like to spin chickens.
First off check in the cavity and remove any excess fat chunks and season
the inside of the bird ...a little salt and pepper, or what ever.

Next get a finger between the skin and the flesh of the bird and make
room for stuff...I insert thin lime slices but orange or lemon work...so
does butter and minced garlic. I insert 4 or 5 slices of lime a couple by
both of the leggs and several on the breast. The actual lime slices
taste like crud after cooking so don't eat those, but the lime juice adds
a slight flavour to the chicken flesh.

Tying the bird is important nothing should be free to flop around and the
wings should be confined close to the body of the bird.

Next a rub with some oil and a sprinkling of more seasonings I use salt,
pepper and a little ground chipotle chile pepper (but that's me ).

I do my chickens indoors in a george foreman rotisserie so can't help you
much more than to say 90 minutes at about 350F works for me on small
fryers....

On a BBQ rotisserie I've seen peeled but not cored pineapples spun and
basted with a mix of brown sugar, butter and rum as a tasting sauce...was
very good. (Equal parts brown sugar and butter and rum to taste.)

On a BBQ it would probably be good to do 3 or 4 chickens at a go. I'd
also consider adding wood chips for a little of that 'smoked taste'.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Rotisserie rib eye Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 0 21-06-2015 01:07 PM
Trying out a new rotisserie hahabogus General Cooking 4 08-03-2008 12:27 AM
Rotisserie Daniel Barbecue 11 30-01-2005 01:15 AM
Using a rotisserie tds Barbecue 5 12-05-2004 11:13 PM
Rotisserie Aria Barbecue 3 05-10-2003 05:58 PM