Dinesh Mahtani \(Dino\)

Default Ckeaning stains from plastic containers?

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this newsgroup for a while and this is my first
post...Great info here... I've learnt a lot! The FAQ is excellent and I'm
currently going through online lessons.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning stains in my plastic
containers... my mom uses them for Indian food, and they are all yellow
and/or red. They are still in great condition, so I dont want to just throw
them away, but would like to clean them, and try to restore some of their
"natural color"

The only thing I came up with was Bleach, but before I tried that, I wanted
to ask the experts.

Thanks in advance!

Dinesh

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dinesh Mahtani (Dino)" >

> I've been reading this newsgroup for a while and this is my first
> post...Great info here... I've learnt a lot! The FAQ is excellent and I'm
> currently going through online lessons.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning stains in my plastic
> containers... my mom uses them for Indian food, and they are all yellow
> and/or red. They are still in great condition, so I dont want to just

throw
> them away, but would like to clean them, and try to restore some of their
> "natural color"

Nothing really works. The plastic absorbs certain colorants and that is it.
Some plastics take on colors easier than others. Some years ago I worked at
a place that dyed molded plastic parts using plain old Rit dye. Once in, it
never came out.
Ed

DRB

"Dinesh Mahtani (Dino)" > wrote in message
> I was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning stains in my plastic
> containers... my mom uses them for Indian food, and they are all yellow
> and/or red. They are still in great condition, so I dont want to just

throw
> them away, but would like to clean them, and try to restore some of their
> "natural color"
>
> The only thing I came up with was Bleach, but before I tried that, I

wanted
> to ask the experts.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Dinesh

I used to have some luck with some stains by mixing some oxyclean with water
and letting it set for awhile. It's been awhile since I've done this, but
IMO, Oxyclean isn't what it used to be. Cascade has some plastic booster
out that claims to work on plastic stains. I've got a tube, but haven't
tried it yet, so I have no idea how well it works.

Gtwy4cb

>The only thing I came up with was Bleach,

I always use bleach and the stains are gone--stains are from pasta sauce. I
fill container with hot water and put in a little bleach and dish washing
liquid. Let soak overnight and stains are gone. Be sure to rinse well so there
is no odor of bleach. Sometimes I use Cool Whip containers to store pasta sauce
and in that case I just throw them away instead of washing them..
sd

In article <gdJmb.30596$Fm2.12991@attbi_s04>,
"Dinesh Mahtani \(Dino\)" > wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning stains in my plastic
> containers... my mom uses them for Indian food, and they are all yellow
> and/or red.

My ex used to sell Tupperware. She said (and we proved) that washing
tomato-stained Tupperware in cold water and soap before using any hot
water would remove the stain. It did. I don't think it would work for
the yellow stains, though, which most likely are turmeric. Turmeric,
IME, is quite a dye. We stored the Indian food in glass/Pyrex containers.

sd

Frogleg

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 05:46:52 GMT, "Dinesh Mahtani \(Dino\)"
> wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning stains in my plastic
>containers... my mom uses them for Indian food, and they are all yellow
>and/or red. They are still in great condition, so I dont want to just throw
>them away, but would like to clean them, and try to restore some of their
>"natural color"

OxiClean mixed with *hot* water takes out a lot of veg/fruit/tea, and
other organic stains. Mix according to pkg directions and let sit 'til
the water is cool. Then wash. Have not tried this on tumeric. :-)

Plaiin ol' chlorine bleach is pretty effective. Don't use
full-strength. For a single plastic container, I'd fill with water and
drop in about a teaspoonful of bleach. Perhaps a quarter cup (2 oz) in
a gallon of water. Be careful. Full-strength bleach is powerful and
you don't want to splash it around.

If this doesn't work, and you know the dishes are *clean*, there're
worse things than having containers slightly stained with Mom's
cooking. :-)
PENMART01

In article <gdJmb.30596$Fm2.12991@attbi_s04>, "Dinesh Mahtani \(Dino\)"
> writes:

>I was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning stains in my plastic
>containers... my mom uses them for Indian food, and they are all yellow
>and/or red. They are still in great condition, so I dont want to just throw
>them away, but would like to clean them, and try to restore some of their
>"natural color"
>
>The only thing I came up with was Bleach

Anything that will attack the stain will also attack the plastic... anyway,
what's the point of attempting to remove stains from something that surely will
be subjected to the very same thing that caused the stain, and probably on the
very next occasion. Instead why not simply treat your mom to a batch of those
inexpensive plastic containers, the ones that can be used a few times and then
tossed.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Vox Humana

"Dinesh Mahtani (Dino)" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been reading this newsgroup for a while and this is my first
> post...Great info here... I've learnt a lot! The FAQ is excellent and I'm
> currently going through online lessons.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning stains in my plastic
> containers... my mom uses them for Indian food, and they are all yellow
> and/or red. They are still in great condition, so I dont want to just

throw
> them away, but would like to clean them, and try to restore some of their
> "natural color"
>
> The only thing I came up with was Bleach, but before I tried that, I

wanted
> to ask the experts.

There is a new product for removing the red color from plastic. I saw it
recently alongside the automatic dishwashing detergent. I think it is made
by P&G and is called "Plastic Booster." You put it in the dishwasher with
your regular detergent. I suppose you could add it to water and soak the
containers if you don't have a dishwasher. Here is a link:
http://www.homemadesimple.com/cascad..._booster.shtml

rrb_091903

Dinesh Mahtani (Dino) wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been reading this newsgroup for a while and this is my first
> post...Great info here... I've learnt a lot! The FAQ is excellent and I'm
> currently going through online lessons.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning stains in my plastic
> containers... my mom uses them for Indian food, and they are all yellow
> and/or red. They are still in great condition, so I dont want to just throw
> them away, but would like to clean them, and try to restore some of their
> "natural color"
>
> The only thing I came up with was Bleach, but before I tried that, I wanted
> to ask the experts.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Dinesh

I would use liquid cleanser containing bleach. Plus I would use cheap
ziplock or glad containers to store it in. If for some reason they
didn't come fully clean they can be recycled anyway. But I would use
pyrex or some glass containers for the indian food instead of plastic.

Nancy Dooley

"Dinesh Mahtani \(Dino\)" > wrote in message news:<gdJmb.30596$Fm2.12991@attbi_s04>...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been reading this newsgroup for a while and this is my first
> post...Great info here... I've learnt a lot! The FAQ is excellent and I'm
> currently going through online lessons.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning stains in my plastic
> containers... my mom uses them for Indian food, and they are all yellow
> and/or red. They are still in great condition, so I dont want to just throw
> them away, but would like to clean them, and try to restore some of their
> "natural color"
>
> The only thing I came up with was Bleach, but before I tried that, I wanted
> to ask the experts.
>
> Thanks in advance!

To prevent them staining in the first place, your mom can spray the
insides of them lightly with a cooking spray like Pam before putting
the food in them - it helps keep the stain from getting absorbed into
the plastic.

N.

Dinesh Mahtani \(Dino\)

Hi Everyone,