Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corn on the cob Masala

Another great recipe snagged from
http://www.asdearassalt.blogspot.com/

This stuff is addictive. After I made this dish I mixed up a batch of
the spices, now it's ready to use in a moment.

I looked and looked for the asafoetida powder and couldn't find it.
After googling it I was so happy I didn't find it. It's also called
devil's dung, just to give you an idea as to it's odor before it's
cooked.

The recipe called for 3 corn cobs boiled in salted water, cut into
chunks and a lot of different spices.
http://i27.tinypic.com/333zy4l.jpg

Start with oil and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Then onion and
fry well. Then add the ginger and garlic pastes.
http://i29.tinypic.com/2094zle.jpg

Add all the masala powders and tomato.
http://i30.tinypic.com/adl1kj.jpg

Add water and bring to a boil. Add corn then the chana dal powder.
http://i26.tinypic.com/2s8o0ec.jpg

Lovely blend of spices. Note the chili powder is to taste so you
control the heat level. I used a teaspoon and it has a kick to it.

Corn On The Cob Masala!

This colorful dish incorporates the beautiful colors of our flag!

3 corn/cobs boiled in salted water
1 onion finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
1 tsp ginger/garlic paste
red chili powder as per taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt as per taste
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp roasted chana dal/gram dal powder
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1 cup water
1.5 tbsp oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida powder.

Heat oil.

Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida powder.
Add onion and fry well till it gets brownish.
Add ginger/garlic paste & fry a few seconds.
Add all the masala powders and tomato, cook till oil separates.
Add water and bring to a boil.
Add boiled corn-on-the-cob sliced into medium size pieces.
Cover and cook 5 minutes for the flavors to blend in.
Reduce heat and add roasted chana dal powder, mix well and switch off
flame.

Cover and let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Final dish should
have thick gravy, increase the chana dal powder if you find it is
watery. Garnish with coriander leaves.

from as dear as salt blogspot.

enjoy

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 5/11
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

Tikki Masala Dan Logcher[_2_] Asian Cooking 9 15-03-2013 12:42 AM
Mushroom Masala [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-09-2006 07:22 AM
Masala Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-04-2005 12:34 PM
Masala Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-04-2005 12:34 PM
Masala tea: Question 2 Adam Schwartz General Cooking 4 04-03-2004 08:55 AM