FoodBanter.com

-   -   Microwave drawing too much power (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/155235-microwave-drawing-too-much.html)

slk 09-05-2008 07:30 PM

Microwave drawing too much power

I have a Panasonic microwave that keeps throwing a 20A breaker. The
data plate on the microwave says it should draw 12.7A max, and an amp
clamp confirms that it's pulling 21A

What could cause this? Is it likely to be fixable by an amateur, or is
the microwave history? It's only about a year and a half old, but it's
been heavily used in an office setting. (maybe it's time to go with a
commercial rated unit)

J.Lef 09-05-2008 09:01 PM

Microwave drawing too much power

>I have a Panasonic microwave that keeps throwing a 20A breaker. The
> data plate on the microwave says it should draw 12.7A max, and an amp
> clamp confirms that it's pulling 21A
>
> Fist make sure, that you are not using an extension cord with it.
> Big potential for catching the wiring on fire.

Also, try and make sure, you dont have a fridge plugged in on the
same circuit.
Microwaves, cycle on and off, and when it cycles is when you need a big
surge of juice.
Also, if on same circuit with fridge, the compressor cycling on and
off, will definately affect the fridge.
Are you using an extension or directly plugging in? What
else is using the same circuit? Have you always used it in this location,
or is this something new.?
Would like to help, but need some more info?

Much regards

POSSUM 09-05-2008 09:47 PM

Microwave drawing too much power

mine is making weird buzzing noises and making sparks. I think it's fried.
I admit I'm quite spoiled and dread the thought of doing without one. I'm
of an age that predates microwaves in every kitchen. But can't afford to
replace this one.

notbob 09-05-2008 10:09 PM

On 2008-05-09, POSSUM > wrote:

> of an age that predates microwaves in every kitchen. But can't afford to
> replace this one.

Go get a Emerson at Walmart or Target. I've had several and though the
Sharps are awesome, for the price, an Emerson is unbeatable ($50!). Perfect
potatoes with the potato button, perfect popcorn w/ the p/c button. Get the
one with the big glass rotary plate (don't break it!... cost 70% the price
of a whole new m/w).

nb

Gareth[_1_] 10-05-2008 09:13 PM

slk wrote:
> I have a Panasonic microwave that keeps throwing a 20A breaker. The
> data plate on the microwave says it should draw 12.7A max, and an amp
> clamp confirms that it's pulling 21A
>
> What could cause this? Is it likely to be fixable by an amateur, or is
> the microwave history? It's only about a year and a half old, but it's
> been heavily used in an office setting. (maybe it's time to go with a
> commercial rated unit)

Microwave ovens have very high voltages inside, thousands of volts,
which can be stored in capacitors even when the microwave is off. There
is also the hazard of high power microwaves leaking out if you don't put
it back together properly.

I would advise you to get a new one rather than risk your life trying to
fix it. Microwaves don't cost much these days so if all the users in
your office put in a few dollars you could get a nice new one.

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris

[email protected] 12-05-2008 08:14 PM

Gareth > wrote:

> slk wrote:
> > I have a Panasonic microwave that keeps throwing a 20A breaker. The
> > data plate on the microwave says it should draw 12.7A max, and an amp
> > clamp confirms that it's pulling 21A
> >
> > What could cause this? Is it likely to be fixable by an amateur, or is
> > the microwave history? It's only about a year and a half old, but it's
> > been heavily used in an office setting. (maybe it's time to go with a
> > commercial rated unit)

> Microwave ovens have very high voltages inside, thousands of volts,
> which can be stored in capacitors even when the microwave is off. There
> is also the hazard of high power microwaves leaking out if you don't put
> it back together properly.

> I would advise you to get a new one rather than risk your life trying to
> fix it. Microwaves don't cost much these days so if all the users in
> your office put in a few dollars you could get a nice new one.

I second what Gareth says. You can buy a darn nice microwave for less
than $100 these days. Cheaps ones are less than $50. Way less trouble
to buy a new one than try to fix the old one.

Now, with all that said. I would check to see if something is binding
the turntable. Electric motors draw their highest current as
the approach stalling. So gummy stuff in the turntable bearings could
cause a unit to draw high current and *might* be fixable.

I'd still recommend tossing the old one and getting a new one.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Nancy2 12-05-2008 08:49 PM

On May 9, 3:01 pm, "J.Lef" > wrote:
> >I have a Panasonic microwave that keeps throwing a 20A breaker. The
> > data plate on the microwave says it should draw 12.7A max, and an amp
> > clamp confirms that it's pulling 21A

> > Fist make sure, that you are not using an extension cord with it.
> > Big potential for catching the wiring on fire.

> Also, try and make sure, you dont have a fridge plugged in on the
> same circuit.
> Microwaves, cycle on and off, and when it cycles is when you need a big
> surge of juice.
> Also, if on same circuit with fridge, the compressor cycling on and
> off, will definately affect the fridge.
> Are you using an extension or directly plugging in? What
> else is using the same circuit? Have you always used it in this location,
> or is this something new.?
> Would like to help, but need some more info?
>
> Much regards

I certainly wouldn't try to find someone to fix it. Most retailers
won't repair them. If you toss it, you have to recycle it so it gets
broken down correctly; you can't just toss it in a dumpster.

Get one of the inexpensive Sharps - they seem to do a good job.

N.